Author's Chapter Notes:
This chapter is unbeta'd because my usual beta is busy with my novel! I'm sorry.
Part 9
Buffy waited in the relative safety of the school while Giles open the car; once the lock clicked Buffy ran for the car and dived in.

“Drive.” She ordered. Giles looked at her funny, noticing the way she was slumped in her seat to avoid most of the suns rays. “I’m just nervous, they could still be out here you know.”

“Yes, yes of course. Sorry, I’m glad you’re ok Buffy.” She smiled at him softly and nodded, slouching further down in her seat as Giles started the engine and pulled out of the parking lot.

Once they arrived at the watchers condo, Buffy once again waited for Giles to open the door before sprinting over, standing hidden in the shadows praying Giles got a clue soon.

“Come on in Buffy, I’ll put the kettle on.” She smiled up at the sky and mouthed ‘thank you’ before inching her way out of the shadows and leaping for the doorway. Slamming the door behind her she moved towards the kitchen and leaned against the fridge, safe from the sun filtering in though the curtains.

When the kettle began to whistle Giles lifted it off the stove and poured the water into two cups, stirring in sugar and milk before walking back to the living room area and placing them on the coffee table. Right in direct sunlight. Buffy almost growled in annoyance, it would be rude!not to drink it and he was being kind enough by letting her stay, even though she was acting like a total vampire, without questioning her too much. She was going to burn getting that cup, but she didn’t want to sound like a complete blond invalid by asking him to hand it to her. She could hardly blame that on Spike or Angelus could she?

“Giles I’m not feeling too well, I don’t think I should drink anything. I probably shouldn’t have eaten that donut either but Xander doesn’t take refusal too well.” She tried to laugh at the end, and purposely trailed off coughing. Giles looked over at her worry marring his usually handsome face, slowly he stood and nodded. He went upstairs quickly and returned with blankets and two pillows, laying them on the couch he began to lay down when Buffy stopped him.

“I thought I was...?”

“The beds made up, make it after you later today will you? I’ll be at the library, when you feel better come in, I’ll be there all night. We’re researching this new dark force. He showed up after Der Kindestod, so far I haven’t found anything. But I’ll keep trying.” He told her softly and kindly, and she felt kind of bad for deceiving him. But here she was evil undead and she had no more urges to eat him. Odd.

She disappeared upstairs, and kicked her shoes off before she pulled her trousers off once more that night, no day. Choosing to leave her top on, she peeled her socks off and got under the covers with a yawn. Sitting up in the bed quickly she grabbed Giles’ phone off the bedside cabinet and rang Willow.

“Hey, Wills it’s me. I was wondering if you could stop by mine and pick me up some clothes and stuff on the way to school. I’m at Giles right now, and I don’t really feel well… Thanks Willow, I owe you one. Ok bye.”

Placing the phone back on the wooden cabinet she rolled over in the large bed and fell asleep. Her dreams plagued by demons and ghosts.

XXX

At the mansion, Spike wasn’t faring too well either. After locking himself in the spare room, he stared at the wall that led to his old room, the one he had shared with his Childe for one night. This room with its white washed walls, and its cotton sheets was so different to his usual style of decoration that it was painfully obvious how this room was not his. This room was not theirs. Her scent washed over him as he walked closer to the attaching wall, the smell of the two of them mixed together attacked his senses as he pressed his hands against the dirty wall. He rested his head against the plaster exhaling a loud sigh of regret.

“Buffy, I miss you baby.” He closed his eyes as he felt a stinging he hadn’t experienced in over 100 years. Fighting the urge to sink to the ground in tears, Spike balled one hand and slammed it into the wall. He pulled it back only to hit it again. Spike was finally satisfied when his knuckles dripped blood and there was a dent the size of his face in the partition.

He turned from the wall and made his way back to the bed. He flopped down onto the stained cotton sheets, too numb to make himself care about the dirt and grime layering it. He just pulled the blankets back and up over him. He lay on his side for a few moments and tried to sleep.

The demon in him screamed and raged, not only for the loss of its Sire but also from the loss of its Childe. He had been so close to being its mate and now he didn’t even have her as a Childe. He had thrown her out and so close to sunrise he was sure she was dust. The numbness overtaking his body and heart didn’t stop to let him realise that the link hadn’t been severed, and that she was in fact still among the unliving.

The pain in his heart began to grow larger he felt as if he was drifting further away from her even though she wasn’t anywhere near him to begin with. With a growl he jumped out of the bed and shoved it over to the far wall, getting back into it he laid as close to the wall as he could get without having loose plaster dropped on him, and fell asleep, wrapped in the fading scent of their lovemaking.

XXX

After a few hours sleep, Giles woke up feeling disorientated. He looked around trying to remember why he had fallen asleep on the couch. As he remembered the sleeping girl upstairs he smiled, a weight seemed to lift off his shoulders as he thought about her safe return.

As he made his way to the kitchen he pondered her weird behaviour. She ran from the sun, hid from the sun, wouldn’t eat or drink, and she was still asleep. He figured the last part could be down to her illness, but Buffy hardly ever got sick.

“May just be stress related.” He reasoned with himself. “Three of the Aurelius vampires in one night could be stressful.” He should just be glad she was safe.

As he drank his morning tea, he pulled a piece of paper out of a pile on the desk and scribbled Buffy a quick note. Leaving out in plain site he left the house for work, still dressed how he was last night. He didn’t want to go upstairs and risk waking her, God only knows how she could be in the morning.

XXX

When Giles arrived at the school, there was still an hour to go before Xander and Willow were expected, but Xander was there anyway. A box of donuts in hand he sat at the library table with a goofy grin as he pulled out a musty text book and began to flip through the pages.

“Wills is dropping some of Buffy’s clothes to yours, she’ll be here soon.” Xander told the older man around a mouth full of sugary goodness.

“Buffy’s ill, I’m afraid. She won’t be in today.” Giles told him while looking anywhere but at the mess falling from his overly full mouth.

As they continued researching the new dark power, Willow was sneaking into the Summers residence using the spare key under the doormat. She threw some of Buffy’s clothes, shoes and toiletries not to mentioned unmentionables, into a black duffel bag with a blush. She had some nice things, couple thongs some regular panties. Willow grabbed her hairbrush off her vanity as well as some make-up and flung them into the bag as well. As she left the room she froze and ran back, grabbing the diary from the secret compartment of her shoe box Willow added that to the bag and left the house, closing the door tight behind her.

She knocked a few times on the door waiting for Buffy to answer. Figuring she might be asleep Willow contemplated leaving the bag on the doorstep but thought better of it. She knocked harder and shouted through the letterbox. Eventually the door creaked open a little and Buffy’s voice called for her to come inside.

“Hey Buffy.” Willow called in her usually cheery voice as she flung the door open, not noticing how Buffy dived out of the way and made her way into the kitchen trying to avoid the light that streamed in through the gap.

“Why are all the lights off and the curtains closed?” Willow asked, her trusting nature suddenly turning suspicious as she eyed her strange-acting friend.

“I just got up Wills, give me an hour please. You know the light hurts my eyes first thing.” She grumbled at the red head, before flicking the light switch flooding the living area with florescent light. Willow dropped the bag on the couch and sat next to it. “Want tea?” Willow shook her head, and Buffy grinned. “Me neither.”

“I brought your diary. I thought you might like to write about the 3 vamps and Buffy fiasco.” Willow beamed at her thoughtfulness and Buffy flinched slightly at the thought of Spike.

“Yeah, thanks Willow that’s a great idea. I’ll do it today.” She tried to sound as enthusiastic as possible but to her own ears it sounded false and snooty.

“I got clothes, shoes, um, you know… and make-up, your hair brush… oh I brought a stake as well.” Smiling her thanks Buffy took the bag off her friend. “I have to go now, we’re doing early research.” She pulled Buffy into a hug, frowning as the blond stiffened. “They won’t hurt you Buffy, we won’t let them.”

“Thanks.” She told her sincerely, no matter how much her demon was screaming inside of her to eat the red head Buffy couldn’t help but love her. She was so thoughtful and sweet and helpful, and what better reason to make a meal out of her?

‘No, stop!’ She commanded to herself, her demon grumbling about being starved. ‘It’s not sunset yet, be quiet.’ She grumbled back, mentally pouting.

“Bye Buffy.” Willow called half way out the door, not wanting to risk being burnt Buffy stayed where she was and waved, hurting Willow feelings in the process.

Once the door had close, Buffy flicked the light switch off again plunging herself into darkness. She shouldered the bag and headed upstairs to take a shower. Stepping out of the shower half an hour later, water dripping from her, she wrapped a towel loosely around her naked body and ran her hair brush through her hair.

She pulled out an oversized t-shirt out of the bag and grinned. If Willow had still been there she would have kissed her, it was her ‘sick’ t-shirt. When ever she was ill, she slept in it and it made her feel safe. She loved it. The only problem was that it was a man’s shirt, her father’s to be precise and her mom wasn’t too fond of it.

Drying herself off and pulling the t-shirt over her head she sat back on the bed and opened her diary, grabbing a pen off the bedside cabinet she started writing about another one of her world changing events.

She finished writing two hours later; having taken up 4 pages she closed the book and sighed. She had found it so hard to write about the bits with Spike in it. She felt the need to cry every time she wrote his name down on the paper, resisting the urge to cross it out and write ‘him’ to save herself the heartache.

She ran her hand through her now dry hair and threw all her loose things in the bag. She brought it down stairs with her and sighed, she couldn’t stay with Giles, she really didn’t want to just kill her friends, and there was no point turning them with no where to take them. She knew the only other option was to leave town, but it hurt so much to think of it as leaving her Sire. Her fists clenched around the straps of the bag as she walked slowly down the stairs, grabbing a piece of paper she frowned when she saw the writing on it. Placing her bag down on the floor she lifted the paper and read off it.

“Dearest Buffy, I hope you feel better. I have gone into work by now. Have a good rest and don’t worry about a thing. I’ll take care of the research. It is, after all, only your job to slay.” She let out an amused chuckle; he was finally seeing things from her point of view. “I won’t be back till late, so if you decide to go home leave a note please. Don’t worry about patrolling tonight; I’ll take care of it. I’ll see you later. Love Giles.” She squeezed her eyes shut and sniffled softly. She was going to miss her pseudo father so much.

What a vampire she turned out to be, sniffling over a happy meal on legs. It was pathetic; no wonder her Sire thinks she’s nothing. With a growl she turned his note over and scribbled her own. Muttering it aloud to see if it made sense.

“I’m sorry Giles. Tell the others I’m sorry, and my mom. Tell her the truth about me as well, please? I failed and I’m sorry. I can’t be the slayer any more and I can’t stay here either. I had to leave. I hope you forgive me, all of you. If I can I’ll stop Angelus before I go… but no promises ok? Goodbye, I love you all. Buffy.” She bit into her finger and watched the blood pool at the end of the digit; she dragged it over her lips before pressing her blood covered lips to the bottom of her letter, beside her name. She slowly dropped the sheet of paper onto the desk and opened the front door.

“Oh my god.” She whispered.

XXX

He woke up two hours ago, two hours of unbearable loneliness, of unbearable pain and sadness. Two hours of fear and lust and anger and betrayal, and hurt and love and of being completely without her. As the sun set Spike ran from the mansion, unstopped by the minions this time and headed out into the night in search of his errant Childe.

He stopped in the cemeteries, the Bronze, the school but she wasn’t in any of those places. He even tried her at home, but still no luck. With a sigh he slumped against the school fence and thought about his golden goddess with longing. Suddenly he was overcome by the scent of her. Fear and desperation laced with hurt assaulted his mind and he looked in the direction it was coming from. The front of the school and leading towards her watches car.

With a grin he headed in the direction of the older mans home. He raised his hand to knock and as he was about to bring it down the door flung open.

“Oh my God.” His love whispered in shock.

With a cocky grin he answered back. “Not my usually moniker but it’ll do for now, luv.”

X9X

------

Reamember if you read, review!