17. When It Rains, It Pours



“Honey, if you keep staring out that window, you’ll burn a hole through it.”



Buffy sighed and turned her attention away from the dark of night. “Sorry, Mom. It’s just that he was supposed to be back over an hour ago. I’m getting kind of worried.”



Joyce laid a comforting hand on her daughter’s shoulder. “I’m sure Spike’s fine. It’s probably just a busier night than usual. Maybe he came across a... what do you call it again? A nest--that’s what you call a group of vampires, right?” It may have been a few years since she’d learned that her daughter was the Slayer, but she still had trouble with some of the terminology.



The Slayer smiled brightly. “Mom! You actually remembered! I’m proud of you. You’re probably right, though. A nest is about the only thing that would keep him busy enough to be this late.” I hope... She returned her attention to a pot on the stove, stirring it slowly. “The hot chocolate doesn’t look too good anymore, though.”



Both women were startled by the sound of someone on the back porch. Dropping the wooden spoon back into the pan, Buffy stomped to the door and swung it open.



“Well, it’s about time that you...”



There was a vampire on the porch--however, it wasn’t Spike.



“Angel...”



God, she was still as beautiful as ever. And there seemed to be a stronger glow to her, too. “It’s about time that I what?” He smirked shyly and ducked his head, dragging his fingers through his gelled hair.



The young woman was held speechless. This was the absolute last person--ok, not absolute, but not far from it--that she’d expect to drop by for a visit. “I...” She shook her head and returned his smile. It was odd, having the one-time love of her life standing in front of her, and not feel her heart speed up like it used to. “I’m forgetting my manners. Please, come in, Angel.”



The vampire let out a breath that he didn’t know he’d been holding. He hadn’t known what to expect. After all, his visit was unannounced, and Buffy hadn’t exactly been overjoyed to part with him when he last left Sunnydale. But there was something... different about her. The way she held herself, the glow of her skin, the rush of her blood, heck--even her smell was different.



When he was finally in the kitchen and the door was shut behind him, he noticed that Buffy’s mother was also present. Hands deep in his pockets, he nodded uncomfortably, knowing full well how much this woman didn’t like him. The most he could blurt out was a quick ’hi’ before shifting from foot to foot.



As much as she wanted to stay in the kitchen and make this Angel guy shrivel under her ’evil eye’, Joyce knew that Buffy would want some alone time with him. That and she actually had to get up for work the next day. So she graciously bade the two goodnight before heading up to her bedroom. Now if only Spike could come home in one piece...



The kitchen island separated the two former lovers. Buffy was sitting on one of the stools, elbows on the counter and chin propped up in her hands. “So... What brings you to Sunnydale? Unannounced?”



Angel remained rooted on the spot. The strange vibes he was getting from the Slayer were distracting, almost to the point where he missed her question. “Sorry? Oh--Cordy had one of her visions. Something about a baby or something, and the joining of dark and light. She wouldn’t give me any details--from the look on her face I thought it was a joke, but she insisted that she was serious.” He frowned again, squinting as he stared at Buffy. Had she gained weight? Was that it?



“Ok, before you stare me to death...” Buffy’d had enough of his gaze. She knew he suspected something and that he was going to pussyfoot around it until she pretty much drew it out for him. Hopping off her seat, she walked around the island and faced the vampire, hands on her hips. “Notice anything... different?”



Why hadn’t he put two and two together until now? She’d put on a bit of weight, there was her increased blood flow, her smell was different... Uh, that and Cordy’s vision about a baby...



“You’re pregnant.” Angel stood stock still, increasingly agitated by the news. He didn’t know how he felt about Buffy’s pregnancy. He was happy for her, in a sense, since she looked very content with her condition; but on the flip side, it angered him that he hadn’t been able to be the one to father her child--or anyone’s, come to think of it.



Buffy raised an eyebrow. “How astute. Good thing you’ve got those extra vamp senses--I might have been worried there, for a sec.” She sat back on one of the benches and motioned for Angel to do the same. “Come on. I think you have a few questions for me. You’re being more broody than usual.”



“I don’t brood!” It was an automatic answer, which garnered a wide grin and a chuckle from the Slayer. Taking a seat beside her, he sighed deeply. “Why don’t I let you tell me what happened. Then, if I have any unanswered questions, I can ask.”



The young woman nodded, agreeing with the vampire‘s suggestion. “Ok, sure. Although it’s really simple. No hocus-pocus, no prophecy, no weird demons. Riley and I... we made a baby. It’s really as simple as that. Two humans, one really, really persistent sperm and a very receptive egg. That’s all it took. Nature‘s quirky way of saying ‘one plus one equals three‘.”



“Is this ‘Riley’ who you were waiting for when you opened the door?” For some strange reason, he accepted her explanation. In some weird way, it was fitting that the most unusual of Slayers have a child in the most usual way.



Oh boy. Here it comes... “Uh. No. Riley kinda tucked tail and ran after I told him about the baby.” Maybe if she changed the subject, she could avoid the whole Spike cuffuffle that was bound to arise.



“Oh.” What could he reply that wouldn’t sound lame? ‘I’m sorry’? ‘He’s a jerk’? “You’re ok, though? You seem to be happy.”



And that she was, realizing that Spike was a much better choice for her than Angel ever would have been. Heck, Spike had been her sworn enemy and he’d been much more bothered about her abandonment than Angel seemed to be. Maybe she wasn’t going to shy away about telling her ex about her present boyfriend after all...



“Actually, I’ve met someone else.” A smile beamed across her features, making her glow even more. “He takes good care of me, he cares about the baby like it was his own... My life‘s been wonderful since we‘ve been together.”



Angel hadn’t seen that dreamy look in her eyes since he’d been the cause of it. He felt a jab of envy, but quickly pushed it aside. He and Buffy weren’t meant to be together. She’d obviously moved on--it was about time that he did, too. “That’s good. Really, it is. Is it someone I know?”



“Actually, yeah. You’ve known this guy much, much longer than I have.”



“Uh-huh...” He looked at the Slayer, silently asking her to go on.



“And... you don’t really like him much, and I don’t think he likes you very much, and... Oh, screw it. It’s Spike.” There. The cat was out of the bag, and based on the twitch that seemed to have developed in Angel’s left eye, he actually believed her.



“Are you out of your mind?!” The vampire jumped off his seat and began to pace the length of the kitchen. She had to be joking. There was no way that Spike, slayer of Slayers, William the Bloody, would pair up with Buffy Summers. It had to be a trick of some kind. Maybe he had a witch working for him or something...



“No. As a matter of fact, I’m of very sound mind. Spike’s been there for me since Riley left. He’s been really good to me and the baby.” She tried not to sound like someone convincing a parent, but she knew she was failing miserably.



“I can’t believe you fell for that! I thought you might be smarter than that. This is a trick--he’s going to kill you!” How could she be so gullible? Maybe he should come down to Sunnydale more often.



“Oh, of course! I’m obviously stupid, since I put faith in the man who rushed me to the hospital when I fell, staying with me the whole time, holding my hand and comforting me. The man who drove me out to LA to find some maternity clothes so I could get a job. The man who takes me out to help me forget about all the stress that I’m feeling. How could I be so blind, not seeing through this ruse of his?” She worked hard at keeping her voice down so she wouldn’t wake her mother up, her words coming out of her mouth like a hiss.



“But...”



“But nothing. Spike’s been everything no other man has ever been to me. He’s been there for me. No man’s ever done that--not my dad, not Riley, not even you. He puts up with my wonky moods, my weird eating habits, he’s strong for me when I need him to be. Heck, he’s even nice to my mom... Do you know that even before we became a couple, when we still hated each other, he agreed to patrol for me--without asking for anything in return?”



Angel didn’t know what to say. Spike always had been oddly loyal to women he loved. And if for some cosmically deranged reason he fell in love with Buffy... Well, she’d be served hand and foot for eternity.



“Light joins with dark...” Now it made sense! Cordy’s stupid vision wasn’t foreboding some horrible prophecy, it was just showing her that a vampire and a Slayer had joined together and that there was a baby involved. Grumbling to himself, he mused that maybe he could find some sort of a teacher that could show the seer how to better interpret her visions.



Great. First he’s on the offensive, attacking her judgement and now he was being introspective. “Angel, what on earth are you mumbling about?”



The vampire snapped out of it, returning his gaze to Buffy’s. “Cordy’s vision. Or, rather, her interpretation of it. That’s actually why I’m here. She said she saw the forces of dark and light joining together and that there was going to be a baby from the union.” At the Slayer’s raised eyebrow and crooked smile, he chuckled. “Yeah. I know--she still needs a bit of guidance in interpreting these things.”



Deciding that it was time to apologize, he put his hand on Buffy’s forearm. “Look, I’m sorry about...”



They both turned towards the door when they heard footsteps outside. Finally, Buffy thought to herself. Swinging the door open a second time, she began her lecture once again. “Well, it’s about time...”



Oh, why me? What on earth have I done?!



“Riley.”



Wow. She really hadn’t been joking about keeping the baby. But she looked great--amazing, actually. The soldier felt a slight weight lifted from his shoulders, assuming that his ex-girlfriend had taken his leaving rather well. “You look good, Buffy. Motherhood seems to suit you.”



It took all her control not to slam her fist into the soldier’s face in order to wipe away his goofy grin. “So, Riley, what part of our last conversation didn’t you understand? The ‘guts through the asshole’ bit, or the ‘strangling with’ bit?”



Ok. Maybe it wasn’t all peaches after all. “Look Buffy, can I come in? We’re letting all the flies in.”



“And I should let one more in?” Ugh. She might as well get this over with. Lord knew who would be popping up next. “Fine. Come in.” She moved aside and shut the door after him.



Riley walked into the kitchen, nodding to the dark-haired man who stood in front of him. Was this Buffy’s new boyfriend? He kind of looked... broody. “Hi, there.”



Angel’s reply was to simply raise an eyebrow. So this was the idiot who left a pregnant Buffy? Whatever it was that she’d mentioned about guts and strangling sure seemed fitting.



“Ok, Riley. Why are you here?” Buffy’s patience was waning. Although much of her mind was preoccupied with the ex-boyfriends who were congregated in her kitchen, the back of her mind was still worried about a missing Spike.



Back straight and arms to the side, as though he was facing a superior, Riley looked at the young blonde. “Actually, my unit had a few hours’ stopover here in Sunnydale and I thought it might be a good idea to see how you were doing.”



The Slayer let out a hoarse chuckle. “Well, it’s nice to see that you care. I’m doing fine. Now go away.”



Great. He knew she’d be unreasonable. “Look, Buffy...”



“Look nothing. You left me. You have no right to just come back here and expect me to be civil to you. You’re lucky I don’t kick your sorry ass out that door--without opening it.” All the feelings that were long ago forgotten, those of hopelessness and despair that had filled the pit of her stomach like lead, were returning. She knew she was close to crying--damn her hormones, making her weak, unable to refrain from breaking down.



Another bump outside the kitchen door caused her shoulders to slump. “If that’s Parker, I’m going to seriously lose it.” But a loud thump, followed by some not so quiet ‘bloody hell’s confirmed that it wasn’t Mr. Poopyhead after all.



Spike! Pushing Riley aside, she flung the door open in time to have the bleached vampire fall into her arms.



“Oh my God! Spike--what happened?” She worked hard at holding him up and was relieved when Angel moved forward to take the injured vampire from her.



Spike was fluttering in and out of consciousness. When strong arms took him from the Slayer and propped him in a chair, he forced his head up. “Fuck... Peaches--what the hell are you doing here?”



Buffy knelt in front of the bleached blonde. She pulled the sides of his duster apart and noticed that there was a lot of blood staining his black T-shirt. Turning to the other two men in the kitchen, she took command. “Angel. Riley. Help me take his duster off, and make sure not to jostle him around too much. I think he’s seriously injured.”



Her command was obeyed immediately, and Spike was quickly divested of his coat. The Slayer pulled his T-shirt up and noticed a gaping wound in the center of the vampire’s chest. “Oh, God...” The wound went right through him, if the blood on his back was any indication.



She turned to her two ex’s. “Keep an eye on him--make sure he doesn’t do anything stupid, like try to get himself a beer or something. I don’t need him aggravating... whatever it is that happened to him. And Mom will kill both of us if he bleeds all over the kitchen.” She disappeared into the living room and was heard climbing the stairs.



Riley remained still, not moving from the injured vampire’s side. Angel, on the other hand, pulled himself a chair and sat facing his childe.



“So. What’s this about, anyway?” He needed answers and wasn’t about to wait until Buffy returned.



This was all he needed. His poof of a grand-sire and the pillock who abandoned the Slayer (of course he recognized him, stupid git). In the most sarcastic voice he could dredge up, he answered Angel. “Well, I was just out for a walk, mindin’ my own business when all of a sudden...”



“Not that, you idiot. I don’t care what happened to you. I mean with Buffy. What the hell’s going on?” No one, but no one, could get under his skin as quickly or effectively as the bleached blonde. Five minutes in his presence, and Angel could feel Angelus chafing at the bit for some violence.



Super. Just super. Spike had no idea how much the Great Gelled one knew, but he wasn’t about to blurt anything out. Managing to speak through clenched teeth--vampire or not, the pain of being lanced was excruciating--he played dumb. “Nothing’s goin’ on, mate. I’m just patrolling for her until the bit’s born. That’s all.” He sat up straight and fell into a coughing fit, spitting up blood. Looking up at Riley, he snarled. “Wouldn’t mind makin’ yourself useful, would you? Get me a towel so I don’t spit blood up all over Joyce’s kitchen. If she sees a mess in here, I won’t have to worry about this hole in my gut.”



Riley did as he was told, but only because of Buffy’s mom. He pulled some paper towels off a roll and handed them over to the injured blonde. Why weren’t they bringing the guy to the hospital? He’d never seen anyone take a... whatever it was... to the stomach and remain conscious--never mind be able to converse with people. The guy was weird, there was no denying that. He muttered under his breath, quietly enough that the two men wouldn’t be able to hear him. “Maybe I should have stayed after all. Buffy must really be delirious to be hanging around weirdos like those two...”



Unfortunately for him, the two men had better than average hearing and had heard every syllable.



Temporarily forgetting his condition, Spike shot out of the chair and lunged at the soldier. Only Angel’s quick reflexes stopped him--albeit only inches away from the pompous jerk. “You fucking sod! Your leaving her is the best thing that could ever have happened to her. She...” By the look on the young man’s face he knew that he had lost control of the demon. He didn’t care, though, one bit, at that moment. This way, it would be easier to rip the Whitbread’s throat out.



Surprised, but not frightened, Riley stood his ground. “I knew I’d seen you before! You’re the hostile that escaped my men. I knew we should have looked harder for you...”



Oh, now he had an even better reason for tearing him apart. But before he could try and free himself from Angel’s grasp, Buffy stormed into the kitchen.



“What the hell’s going on? You guys woke Mom up! Now shut up--all three of you.” She pointed at Spike. “You--sit down.”



Angel knew better than to get in an angry Buffy’s way, so he helped Spike into a chair and sat down also



Riley, on the other hand, wasn’t so smart. Before the Slayer had a chance to even open the first aid kit, he began his diatribe. “Buffy... Is this what you’ve lowered yourself to? Did my leaving you have such a negative effect on your sanity? How could you...” He stopped short when the medical box’s lid shattered under his ex’s grip.



For the first time ever, Spike and Angel had the same thought at the same time. Oh, this is going to be sweet...



“You know what, Riley? I don’t need to explain myself to you. I can be with whoever I choose, whether it be some pathetic GI Joe wannabe who runs at the first sight of a hurdle, or a vampire who has more heart and more compassion than a whole platoon of losers like you. Your leaving me was the best thing that could have happened--I had to face reality, and it set my vision straight. Now, if you don’t mind...” She walked over to the door and held it open. “... I do believe you’re being kicked out. Good bye, Riley. And next time? Don’t. Come. Back.”



“Buffy, listen to me...”



Slam!



A grinning Slayer turned to the two chuckling vampires. “You can’t imagine how good that feels. Well, not as good as giving in to my threat, but close enough.” She sat herself down across from Spike and rooted through what was left of the first aid kit.



Spike eyed her warily, not being too keen on falling under the painful yet well intentioned care of nurse Buffy. The last time she’d cared for him he’d ended up covered in iodine and Band-Aids. Didn’t seem to matter to her that there was no chance for infection, no matter how many times he reminded her.



That’s when he remembered the ace up his sleeve. “Buffy, love. Forgot to mention earlier--I picked something up for you. It’s on the counter.”



The young woman’s brow furrowed, temporarily distracted from her medical duties. “What?” She turned around and spied a brown take-out bag sitting on the counter. “Ooh! McDonald’s!” As quick as a snap her attention was diverted to the food. “Mmm... Chicken McNuggets and fries! You’re the best, you know that?”



Spike took advantage of her distraction in order to patch himself up. Whispering to Angel, he handed him a roll of gauze. “Wouldn’t mind helpin’ me out, would you? I’d rather get this over with before she finishes those. You can’t imagine how quickly a small thing like her can down 9 nuggets and a large fry...”



Angel didn’t know what to say. Heck, he didn’t even know what to think. He felt like he’d been dropped into some weird Twilight Zone episode. Nodding dumbly, he managed to help the bleached vampire tend to his injuries, all the while keeping one eye on his one-time lover, who was actually talking to her food as she scarfed it down.



These so hit the spot, Buffy thought to herself as she tossed the empty container into the garbage. When she turned back to the two vampires, she noticed that Spike had his T-shirt back on. “Hey, wait! I wasn’t done yet.”



“S’alright, love. Peaches here gave me a hand. I just need a good rest and I’ll be right as rain in the morning.”



There was a moment of uncomfortable silence, where neither of the three individuals knew what to say. The two blondes were more than tired, one being up past her bedtime and the other having been rather badly injured, and Angel was... well, he was just confused. Buffy and Spike. Never something he’d given any thought to, but oddly enough they seemed to go well together. Spike had a woman to dote on and Buffy had someone who wouldn’t leave her for anything in the world. It was just too weird.



“Well, I’d better be heading off. I have to have a talk with Cordy about her visions, I think.” The dark haired vamp stood up and looked at Spike. He opened his mouth but was interrupted before he had a chance to say a word.



“Save your breath, Peaches. You don’t need to warn me about anything. I love her--I won’t hurt her, won’t leave her and I certainly won’t do anything to the bit. So you can hop back in to your Batmobile and head for your bird back home with an easy conscience.”



“But still, if anything happens...”



“Yeah, yeah. Get in line behind Rupert, Joyce, and the Scoobies. Like I said--you don’t have to worry about me hurting her.” Spike was both angry and upset, all at once. He was mad that Angel thought that he’d actually hurt Buffy, but even more so he was upset that his word didn’t seem to mean much with his grandsire. Never be good enough for that ponce...



She was tired and, quite honestly, sick of having Angel around. If she ever wanted a guard dog, she’d give him a call but the whole ‘protector’ bit was beginning to grate on her nerves. “Angel, he’s right. I trust him and that’s what counts most.” She headed to the door and put her hand on the knob. The message that she wanted him out might not have been as direct as it had been with Riley, but it was obvious nonetheless.



Angel smiled at the young woman. “Alright. I know when I’m being kicked out. Take care, will you? And give us a call to let us know how you’re doing. The more people who know about the baby the more gifts you’re bound to get.” It was a bit of a hint, in a direct slap-in-your face kind of way.



“Presents. Now you’re talking.” She chuckled as she gave the dark-haired vampire a friendly hug. “Don’t worry, I’ll be fine. And I’ll call before the baby’s born. I know Cordy’s gonna freak when she hears about this.”



The vampire walked out of the house and turned to wave one last time. Funny how it was getting easier and easier to leave, as time went by.



Buffy locked the door and turned to a curious Spike. “Come on, blondie. I think it’s time for bed.”



Ok, so it was time for bed but she was locking the door--with him inside the house? “Buffy, love--am I staying here tonight?” Oh, please say yes...



“Yup. I told Mom you were really out of it, and she agreed to having you stay over.” She turned the stove light on and the kitchen lights off before taking his hand in hers.



“And she’s really ok with this?” Although he didn’t have any dating experience, Spike knew that they were taking a new step in their relationship. Staying over--in the same bedroom--meant a parent’s acceptance of what might be going on between the two blondes.



Leading him up the stairs, Buffy chuckled. “Well, she may have said something like ‘Don’t forget that the walls are paper thin, or that I sleep with one ear open.’ I guess it was her way of warning me.”



Spike shook his head, smiling. “That’s Joyce for you. Ever giving, but ever watchful.”



“So what did happen to you tonight, anyway?” The Slayer was whispering as they walked by her mother’s bedroom. Wouldn’t do any good to wake her up again...



“Met up with a Polgara demon. Almost bloody didn’t make it, as you can see.” He watched her change into her nightie, smiling when she shyly turned her back to him as she put it on.



“Eww... Polgara--those are the ones with skewers for arms, right?” Buffy slipped into bed, turning the sheets over. This was strange to her, as she’d never had anyone actually stay the night--oh God, what if I snore?! Her cheeks flushed as she watched Spike undress--how could she have forgotten that he didn’t wear any underwear?--before he slid in beside her.



“Something like that.” The vampire spooned his lean body behind the Slayer’s, resting his hand over her belly. Nuzzling the back of her neck, he whispered in her ear. “So, pet... was Joyce exaggerating about the paper-thin walls?”



A voice from the other room took them both by surprise. “No! Now get some sleep!”



 


Author’s note: Yay! Got my two chapters beta’d and back this morning. You’ll have those to keep you happy for the next two days, but after that I can’t make any promises. Loathe as I am to go into TMI-land, Mr. Piper and myself seem to have picked up a stomach bug, which means my concentrating on things other than fic writing (yeah, imagine that!). Thanks for all the reviews for the previous chapter (made my heart warm, they did) and please keep reviewing!