21. Merry Christmas, Slayer



Buffy sighed, leaning back into the couch’s soft pillows. “You know what? The Grinch really did know what he was talking about... at the end, I mean.”



Spike sat down beside her, setting his drink on the coffee table. “How do you mean?” He propped his arm up onto the couch’s back, fully relaxed after a more than extravagant meal. Joyce sure knew how to stuff her turkey--and the guests, as well.



“Well, I mean that bit about Christmas not being about presents and material things.” She nestled herself into the crook of the vampire’s arm, taking a sip of her eggnog. Weird stuff, but hey--it tasted good, so why think too hard about it?



“Ah. You mean ‘It came without ribbons! It came without tags! It came without packages, boxes or bags!’?”



“Yeah. That bit.” She turned her head to look up at him, the corner of her lips turned up into a wry smile. “And you know that way too well for someone who claims to have seen it for the first time a couple of days ago...”



The vampire had the sense to look abashed. Raising his hand to scratch the back of his head, he seemed to almost blush. “Yeah, well, about that. I might’ve seen it a few times before.”



Buffy scooted back to the other end of the couch, resting her back against the armrest and settling her feet on Spike’s lap. “So. How many times is ‘a few times’, anyway? Cause I’ve seen it every year since I can remember, and there’s no way in hell that I know it that well.”



He was cornered. Another chunk of the Big Bad chipped away, sent to oblivion. “Bloody hell. Alright. I’ve watched it every year since it first came out on the telly, ok?” The Slayer’s nod and mute assent were better than the gloating he expected. Guess she was just as stuffed as he was--maybe more, since she seemed to have eaten almost as much as he did, but her stomach no longer had the same capacity it used to.



He began to rub her feet, trying to massage the swelling away. Time to change the subject. “How are your feet, love? They any better?”



“No, not really. They will be, though, if I can keep them up high.” She stretched her legs and groaned. “And with Mom gone to Giles’, I don’t see myself tearing my butt off this couch for anything.”



A few moments of silence was spent before Buffy grew tired of the quiet. “So, how was your first Christmas in over a hundred years?”



Spike took a long sip of his eggnog (mixed with Captain Morgan’s Spiked Rum, of course), one hand still rubbing the young woman’s foot. “Hard to put into words without sounding like a poof, to be honest. I hardly expected anything--especially not the presents you lot gave me. I would’ve been happy just to come by and watch you open your own gifts.”



“But that wouldn’t have been any fun, now would it? I always prefer watching others open the gifts I get them over opening my own gifts--not that that isn’t any fun either.” Buffy took a deep breath and shifted into a more comfortable position. Her eyes kept darting over to the mantle and the cards that were displayed there. “Although I have to admit that I was surprised to see something from Dad. It’s the first time since Mom and I moved to Sunnydale that he actually remembered me at Christmas. Guess he finally got a secretary with a good head on her shoulders.”



It pained Spike to see how much the Slayer’s severed relationship with her father affected her. Sure, Joyce was a great mother--there was no doubt about that, but something was definitely missing in her life. He himself knew what it was like, not having both parents, and it crushed him to know what she was going through. And he’d put all his efforts to make sure that Buffy’s baby wouldn’t feel the same kind of emptiness in his or her life.



“Well, she’s got a good head on her shoulders if she’s the one who thought of the gift, that’s for sure. The nibblet’ll be able to afford Oxford with the money he’s putting into that school fund.”



“Hmm... Oxford, eh? You really think it’ll make it to Oxford?”



“Absolutely! Nothing’ll stop our bit...” Spike paused, his use of the word ‘our’ having surprised him. Before he could take it back, though, Buffy had pulled herself back into a sitting position and had slid over to his side.



Our baby, Spike. Don’t feel like you shouldn’t say it. You’ve been a great daddy so far--nothing says you won’t be just as wonderful after the baby’s born. It might not be your flesh and blood, but that doesn’t always mean much, does it? Just look at Dad...” She pressed her finger to his lips to still the words that almost pored from them. “Hold on, just listen. Dad’s my flesh and blood and he hasn’t been anywhere near as close to me as Giles has. So bloodlines--they don’t mean everything, Spike. They just determine hair colour and whether you’re a good singer and if you like spicy food and stuff. The emotional bond--that’s determined by what’s in here” she thumped two fingers against his chest, where his heart lay “and I know that you’re a good man, and that you already love this baby. That’s all it needs to know, and to be shown.”



The vampire just sat there, not knowing what to say. He wanted to tell her that vampires weren’t meant to be good parents, that he didn’t have any good values to instil, that he sure as hell couldn’t shoot the shit about the good ol’ days... But he knew that she was right. He loved the baby as if it had been his own, and he’d die making sure that it--and its mother--were safe, that it was loved. It didn’t matter at the moment how he did that, but a warm feeling inside of him assured him that he didn’t have to worry. Things would be fine.



He leaned over and kissed his love on the forehead. “You really surprise me sometimes, love. Thanks, though.”



Buffy decided it was time for something a little lighter. “So, do you really like the presents you got?” She looked to the foot of the couch, at the small stack of gifts that the vampire had received. Each one had been worth their weight in gold, with the look on his face as he opened them.



Spike leaned over and picked up his presents. Chuckling, he picked up a small light blue book that Xander and Anya had bought him. Not only was he surprised that they’d thought of him, but the book’s matter of content floored him. “’The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook: Parenting’...” Shaking his head, he opened the book. “This book’s a lark--have you actually looked at any of this? ‘How to recapitate a doll’, How to discipline an imaginary friend’... Downright ridiculous.” He had to add, however, “but bloody hilarious.”



From Willow, he’d received a small package of maple sugar candies. It had taken all his self-control not to finish the lot of them right then and there. “So, how did Red know about my sweet tooth, eh?”



The Slayer’s face took a look of innocence. “Oh, it may have been mentioned once or twice, when she was wigging over what to buy you. You should have seen her, Spike--she was so worried over your present, I thought she was going to pass out. She thought of the maple candies, though. Said she has some family up in Vermont or something.”



“Well, I’ll have to tell her it’s much appreciated.” He opened the packet and offered it to her. “You want another?”



Buffy’s nose turned up and she cringed. “Ugh. A world of no. One’s enough for the year--those things are way too sweet. I have no idea how you can sit there and eat a bunch of them.”



Spike took two and popped them in his mouth. Managing to mumble around the sugary mouthful, he shrugged. “They’re addictive, they are. Too sweet to pass up.” His eye gained a twinkle and he leaned in for a quick peck on her cheek. “Like you.”



The young woman rolled her eyes. “Ok, I’m taking those away before you make me gag here, buddy. The sugar’s getting to your brain.” She tore the pack from his grasp and tossed them onto the end table, before turning back to him. “Do you really like the shirt? Cause if you don’t, I can take it back.”



The vampire’s eyes grew large. “What? I don’t bloody think so! Don’t know what you’re worried about--it’s dark blue and it’s silk. What’s not to like about it? Actually, I can’t wait to see it on you.” He held it up in front of her, one eye squinting as he imagined her wearing nothing but the shirt. Great, now he was getting himself horny...



Buffy smiled, knowing her lover all too well. “We’ll just see about that... But how about we watch your movie first? I’ve never actually seen a James Bond movie with Sean Connery.”



Spike walked over to the DVD player, where he popped the movie in. “I still have a hard time believing that--he’s THE James Bond, luv! There is no other James Bond...”



They argued for a short while--Buffy in favour of Pierce Brosnan and Spike of Sean Connery, before the movie started. Shifting until she was more than comfy, Buffy snuggled against Spike. The combination of a warm fire, lots of home cooked food and a bit of rum had raised his temperature a little, and she found that comforting, in a strange way.



***



By the time the credits were rolling, Buffy was fast asleep. Spike was surprised that she’d lasted more than halfway through the movie--she’d been leaning quite heavily against him, not that he minded in the least. Trying not to wake her, he wiggled out from beneath her so he could retrieve the disc from the movie player. He pried himself away from the couch and carefully lay her back down, head resting against the armrest.



When he turned back towards the couch, movie in hand, the vampire saw that the Slayer was no longer asleep. She was quietly watching him, an odd look on her face.



“Ready for bed, love?” He dropped the movie onto the coffee table and began turning some of the lamps off.



When the vampire crouched down in front of her to pick her up, a strange feeling came over Buffy. Well, not strange, just a bit... neglected. Nestled in his strong arms, she turned her face to his and leaned in, placing her lips against his.



He nearly dropped her. If it hadn’t been for vampire reflexes and all that rot, Spike would have simply dumped the Slayer on the spot, out of sheer surprise. With her hands running through his hair, her lips attacking his, her tongue in his mouth--he didn’t know what to think. But he sure as heck wasn’t going to be the one to stop her.



Buffy didn’t know where this burst of passion had come from, but she knew better than to try and fight it. It had been a long time since she and Spike had really made love and she saw it as the cap on a wonderful day. And anyway--her mom wasn’t going to be home until much later, so...



“God, Buffy... please tell me I’m not dreaming this.” Spike had managed to get them both halfway up the stairs, but had to stop because of what the Slayer was doing to his neck. He began to wonder if he had a turtleneck, because there was no way he was coming out of this unmarked.



“No, Spike--you’re not dreaming. If you can ever get us to the bedroom, this is really gonna happen...”



***



Both blondes lay back, satisfied from the intimacy of their coupling. Sure--it hadn’t been anywhere near as... energetic... as their usual bouts, but it was contact that they’d both needed at the moment.



“You comfy, luv? Or do you need another pillow?”



Buffy’s eyes narrowed at the vampire’s verbal jab. So what if she was resting on half a dozen pillows? How else is a pregnant gal supposed to get comfortable? “Hey--you’re just lucky I’ve left you some room, there, buddy.”



Spike’s eyes gleamed as he dragged a fingertip down her belly. “Well, I could always lie underneath you--didn’t seem to mind it a few minutes ago...” He was well aware that it was probably going to be the last time they would have sex before the baby was born. As much as they’d both enjoyed it, the act had been awkward for Buffy, who had spent most of the time trying to find a comfortable position.



“Shyeah--I think I’m just going to spend the next few hours lying on my side with my pillows, Mr. Sex-on-the-Brain.” She smiled at him to let him know that there wasn’t any malice in her words. Tonight had been for him, sort of an extra Christmas gift. Sex was no longer natural or easy, but she’d wanted it for him--one last time before the baby came. She was relieved to find that, although sex had been such a large part of their relationship--they definitely gave Xander and Anya a run for their money, Spike hadn’t held her weakening libido against her. He’d definitely surprised her with some imaginative alternatives, which had turned out well for both of them, but he hadn’t pressured her into anything.



The Slayer shook herself from her thoughts and caught her vampire lover smiling at her belly. “Penny for your thoughts.” She ran her fingers through his hair, knowing that it was soothing to him as much as a massage was to her.



“Just thinkin’ about next Christmas--how different it will be with the bit. We’ll have to go out and buy toys and go visit Santa at the mall. It’ll be so... domestic.” It was all so strange to him, the new twists and turns his unlife was taking. Never in a million years would he have envisioned himself raising a tot with a Slayer. And especially not looking forward to things like Christmas and birthdays and bath times and kissing scraped knees. These were all things he’d lived through as a human, but hadn’t given a thought to (well, not a positive one) since becoming a demon.



Buffy wasn’t sure how to take Spike’s comment. Was he getting cold feet, or was the phrasing of his thoughts just odd? He hadn’t given her any indication that he wanted to back out to date... Her natural reaction was to keep her worries to herself, but what good did that do? They’d had a couple of arguments to date, and most of them had sprung from misunderstandings. She tried to keep her voice even, to keep any worry out of it. “And ‘domestic’--that’s ok?”



Damn the Slayer’s insecurities. “I wouldn’t trade it for the world, Buffy. I love you and I love the bit, both more than anyone. If I didn’t want to stick around I wouldn’t have--I would’ve hoofed it a long time ago. As strange as this sounds, I want to experience the diapers and the crying and all that rot--it’s something I desperately wanted as a human but hadn’t given a second thought to as a demon. But now that I’m back in a position to go through it, I’m finding myself more than eager.”



“I still say you should give writing a try. You always find the right words, Spike.” Buffy pulled herself over a few pillows and placed a kiss on his cheek. Falling back against the mountain of pillows, she groaned. “You know, I’m at the point where I really can’t wait for this baby to pop out. I can’t sleep, I can’t sit, I can’t stand... At least I’ll be able to move around easier when the baby’s out--although my boobs will just get bigger if I manage to breastfeed.” She slapped her hand over the vampire’s mouth before he could utter a retort. “And I don’t want to hear a word about my big boobs--they’ll be for the baby, not for some horny vampire...”



Chuckling, Spike turned to the bedside table and turned the lamp off. “Merry Christmas, Slayer.”



Author's Note:Well, I didn't know if I could do it, but here it is--another chapter. I have one week left to work before my mat leave and then a week before my due date. All things permitting, I'll try to get another chapter out to you guys before February. I'm sorry the Christmas chapter took so long in coming, but better late than never, eh? And, as usual, please feed the author (aka please review).