Chapter Sixteen

Buffy, we need to talk.”

Ugh. What is it with souled vampires always wanting to talk? I snuggle deeper into the warmth of Spike’s embrace and ignore him.

“I’m serious luv, I think we need to talk.”

Wait. Something’s wrong. I can’t quite put my finger on it. I grab a tighter hold of Spike and snuggle my face into the heat of Spike’s glorious chest while I ponder the problem.

“Buffy, you can’t keep ignoring me. I need to know where we stand! We’ve got this incredible...”

“Heat!” My head jerks back in surprise.

“Well, yeah. We’ve got this incredible heat between us but...”

“No. You’re hot!”

Spike smiles, “I think you’re quite a cutie yourself, Buffy, but that doesn’t address...”

“No Spike! You’re not cold! You have body heat!”

“What on earth are you talking about?”

“Vampires are cold! Why are you warm?”

“Dunno. Maybe it has something to do with having a reflection and why I can stand sunlight.”

”What?!”

“First thing I discovered when I came to in your room...and by the way you still need to tell me what happened between us the night before that...was that I had a reflection. I did an experiment and I can do sunlight as well. Hurts like a son of a bitch, though.”

Face flaming from embarrassment I asked, “Why didn’t you tell me?” Hopefully my question will distract Spike from asking further about the night before he became coherent again.

“Was kind of busy, luv. It just never came up.” A wolfish smile spreads across his face as his tongue wraps around his teeth. My temperature soars in response. “Not once other things started coming up.”

I playfully swat him across the chest, “Spike, you’re a pig.”

With breathtaking speed he grabs my hands, lacing his fingers with mine, and pushes me up against the wall behind me. He’s pressed up against me and has pinned my hands above my head. I lose the ability to breathe when he starts to slowly grind his hips against mine.

“You know you love it, Slayer.”

I can’t think. “Buffy.”

“Hmmm?”

“Call me Buffy.”

“Buffy.” Spike whispers as he bends his head and almost catches my lips in a kiss. I gasp and try to capture his lips. Spike pulls his head just out of reach which causes me to whimper. “Tell me you’re mine, Buffy.”

“Yours. All yours, Spike.”

His eyes darken when I say his name and he leans in for a deep kiss. I can feel the strange draining feeling in my hand again but I’m unable to either do anything about it or care that it’s happening. All I can think about is getting closer to Spike.

~~~~~

Can’t say as I’m happy to hear the grand poof’s voice as I approach the Library door. It’s a balm to my troubled psyche that he sounds angry and frustrated.

“Vampires don’t love! They have no souls!”

It’s Buffy’s response that halts my steps in order to hear the rest of the conversation. I’m not eavesdropping! I just don’t want to interrupt.

“Spike did.”

Happiness floods my entire being. For once in my existence someone compares me to Peaches and I come out ahead. Angel goes on for a bit and, of course, tries to make whatever it is between Buffy and me into being all about him. I half listen as I bask in the feeling of Buffy’s approval until I hear something that freezes my soul.

”... For all I really know everything Spike and I feel right now is all because of some spell...

Is that what she really thinks? That there’s a spell makin’ me care about her? Is that why she’s actin’ like she cares about me?

I stand there feeling sick to my stomach until Angel storms past, too angry to even lash out at me. I step around the corner where Buffy’s watching the spot Angel must have disappeared from her sight.

It’s encouraging that the first thing she does is throw herself in my arms.

I still need to know what’s going on between us, though.

Buffy’s not willing to discuss it. I press the issue and she sidesteps me by going on about the temperature of my skin. As if that’s important compared to the state of our relationship.

Suddenly I smell something so tantalizing that I’ve got Buffy up against a wall before I realize I’ve moved. Seems the Slayer’s got a yen.

I grab her hands and lean in for a kiss. We banter verbally until I can’t deny myself any longer. Don’t care what anyone thinks. Buffy’s mine. All mine and I’ll never let her go!

My thoughts are so consumed by the thought that I don’t even realize until it’s way too late that we’ve started to glow again. I’m past caring. I concentrate on kissing Buffy instead.


This time when I come to we’re still clothed. Good thing too as the Watcher and Red are standing above us yelling in panicked voices about fire and light and explosions. There’s a poster about just sayin’ “no” above my head that is slowly curling into cinders. The doors to the Library are swinging back and forth and it looks like the glass in those little windows has melted until there’s just bent wire mesh in them. Beneath us there’s a scorched image of two people in an intimate embrace.

Huh.

Cinders and ash from the peg board above us drift about our heads creating the impression that it’s snowing in the hallway. I look down at Buffy, still out cold laying in my arms. She’s got ash in her hair. Lor’, she’s beautiful. I reach out and run my fingers from her jaw, down her throat in veneration.

Watcher doesn’t take kindly to that. He shouts at me to get away from his Slayer and tries to shove something in my face. I don’t even look away from her. I grab whatever it is out of his hands and watch as Buffy begins to stir.

For some reason he and Red quiet down really quick like.

It’s not until Buffy’s eyes start to blink open that I realize the piece of wood I grabbed from Giles and am holding in my hand is a crucifix.


tbc - in the next chapter; “Whistler while you work.”