Author's Chapter Notes:
This is my first time writing and posting a fanfic so reviews are very much appreciated. This is a short prologue, but I promise the chapters will be longer.
Timeline: Set post Hell’s Bells, the beginning of Normal Again never happened.
Disclaimer: I own nothing. Joss is getting really tired of my constant begging for the rights to his characters.

Prologue

She felt like going for a patrol. Lately she had been busy getting ready for Xander and Anya’s wedding that didn’t end up happening, and it took up most of her time. She had been fired from the Doublemeat Palace for walking out on the job, and ever since she had been looking for a new way to make money. Finances were really low lately, and because Buffy was constantly distracted Dawn was starting to resent her again. Just when Buffy thought it couldn’t get any worse after Riley came and left with his wife, it had.

It got worse at the wedding when she had to face seeing Spike for the first time since she left him broken hearted in his crypt and walked into the sunlight where he could not follow her. She was able to suppress her emotions until she actually saw his handsome face and heard his voice. That night was the first night she actually allowed herself to cry since the break up. Buffy had been avoiding him for over a week. Her emotions had started flowing once Dawn mentioned that Spike was there with a total skank for a date. She thought she would be angry, but Buffy realized that there was no reason for her to be mad at Spike for moving on since she was the one who broke up with him.

Instead of letting her thoughts control her emotions, Buffy let herself feel for once. The feelings that she had experienced actually surprised her. She did feel jealousy, which was like an annoying presence constantly in the back of her mind. But even more surprising than that was the caring she felt for him. Buffy wanted Spike to be happy. She knew she would never be able to make him happy in the long run, so if he had to have some ho to be satisfied then she would be glad for him.

Buffy figured all Spike wanted was sex anyway. She now allowed herself to acknowledge his physical presence, and Buffy knew he wouldn’t have any problem getting tons of girls to fawn on him. He looked damn sexy at the wedding and he probably only met his “date” five minutes before inviting her to go with him. So Buffy wondered why he spent so much time trying to get in good with her. Even when she was dead and there was no possible way for him to know Buffy would somehow come back, Spike had kept his promise and took care of Dawn. She knew that he cared for Dawn. Buffy couldn’t deny it, but she just didn’t know why.

Even more than just keeping his promise, Spike had worked with the Scoobies and helped them control the vampire population in Sunnydale. Willow had told her that much. He never had had any problem expressing his hatred for the Scooby gang, so why did he help them last summer? Buffy wanted to know. She decided she was going to find him and actually have a conversation. This time, Buffy would really listen to what he had to say. She didn’t just want to see him like before, she needed to see him. She felt like going for a patrol.