Chapter 9


Spike leaned against his locker and watched Buffy.

“Ok. Um, I’ve made a decision.”

And there it was: the moment of truth. Will she or won’t she? Spike hoped she’d say yes. But most of all, he hoped that she realized the motive behind the proposition. But with his outstanding run of luck lately, she would probably think he was using her for popularity. Like one of those cheesy teen movies. He really liked her, maybe loved her. Ever since their first meeting, he had felt drawn to her.

**FLASHBACK**

Ninth grade sucked. Spike walked down the empty hallway. He was skipping his math class. Like math matters in life anyway. He just hoped Principal Snyder didn’t catch him. He really didn’t want another detention this weekend. As he rounded the corner, someone bumped into him and their books went flying. He really wasn’t in the mood. He turned around to give the attacker a good yelling at, and he saw her.

She was looking at him, eyes wide.

“Sorry about that.” she said, smiling shyly.

Registering the sound of her voice, he shook himself out of his current thoughts.

“’S alright, luv.”

He helped her retrieve her books, and then they were left staring at each other uncomfortably. The bell rang, and students started to file out of the rooms into the hallway.

“So, uh…” Spike started, but was interrupted by Cordelia and Harmony.

They glared at Spike, and grabbed Buffy, leading her away. Buffy looked back at Spike and mouthed “Thanks”, and smiled, before turning back to the girls. Spike smiled to himself. Maybe this day wasn’t so bad after all.

**END OF FLASHBACK**

Spike snapped back to the present. The present where Buffy Summers was about to, hopefully, make his dreams come true. She looked at him, expecting a response. He nodded, silently telling her to go on.

Buffy nodded again, and sighed.

“Well, I’m going to accept your proposition. You fix the car, and we date for two weeks, then we announce our, uh, breakup, the Monday after Prom. Deal?”

Buffy held out her hand, and Spike slowly nodded.

“Deal.”

They shook hands, each holding onto the other’s for a little longer than needed. Buffy pulled her hand out of Spike’s, and made a show of smoothing her hair back.

“You’ll meet me for lunch, then?” Spike asked.

“Sure.” Buffy answered.

The bell rang, and Buffy started to walk away.

“Hey!” Spike yelled, walking after her.

Buffy stopped and looked at him, confused.

“What?”

“Well, isn’t it the boyfriend’s duty to walk his girl to class?” he asked.

‘His girl? I like that.’ Buffy thought, her thoughts careening out of control.

“Uh, yeah. I have Sanders.” Buffy told him.

“Right. Me too. Remember?”

“Oh, right.”

Buffy turned, and started walking again, Spike right beside her. They walked to class, rather uncomfortably.

They walked in, and sat down at their respective seats, Buffy in the middle of the room, next to Angel, and Spike in the back next to Xander.

“Hey Buffy.” Angel greeted.

“Oh, hi Angel. How’ve you been?” Buffy asked.

“Good, actually. And you? Have you talked to the mystery man yet?” Angel replied, smiling.

Buffy smiled back.

“Well, it’s really complicated. I’m sort going out with him, but he doesn’t know how I feel. Hell, I barely know how I feel about him. It’s confusing, really.”

Angel chuckled.

“All in due time.” he said, sitting back up, when the teacher walked in.

Meanwhile, Spike sat in the back, watching the whole scene play out. And it pissed him off. The way Buffy smiled at Angel, the way he smiled at her. The way Angel leaned over to whisper to her. Why didn’t she sit next to him? They were together, after all. He sat back, and listened to the teacher.

‘Maybe we should have a little chat later, Summers.’ he thought to himself.

Buffy tried to pay attention to the lesson. But her thoughts kept going back to Spike. Why didn’t he sit next to her? And why hadn’t he tried to hold her hand when they were walking to class? Weren’t they an item?

‘Maybe we should have a talk, him and Me.’, she thought.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Buffy caught up with Fred at her locker before lunch. She thought Spike was avoiding her. He had skipped the last three periods, and she knew for a fact that he had those classes with her. She stood next to Fred, in silence, pondering the situation. Fred looked at her, and smiled.

“How did it go with Spike?” she asked.

Buffy looked up at Fred and sighed.

“Ok. Maybe not ok.”

Fred looked at Buffy, confused.

“Huh?”

“I mean, we’ve been together for almost four hours now, and he’s being all avoidy. I’m supposed to eat lunch with him, but I don’t even know if he’s going to show up.” Buffy told her, slumping against the lockers.

Fred looked at Buffy, a huge grin on her face.

“What?” Buffy asked.

“You really, really like him.” Fred said, crossing her arms over her chest.

“I-I…what makes you say that?”

“Well, for starters, you overwhelming concern for a relationship with a guy that you barely know, and the fact that you went into this whole cheekbone/muscle conversation last night. Also, when I just mentioned the cheekbone thing, you blushed.” Fred stated.

Buffy stared at Fred, a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

“Fine. I said last night that maybe I liked him. And you have to admit, he is really hot. Anybody can see that. And I still think that he can be really annoying sometimes, like right now, with his disappearing act.” Buffy said.

“Ok. Lunch now?” Fred asked, still smiling.

“Yep. And stop smiling like that!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spike walked into the cafeteria and sat down with the others at their usual table.

“Hey Spike.” Willow greeted.

“Red.” Spike said, nodding his head.

“Feeling better, Spike?” Willow asked, referring to the conversation earlier that morning.

“Uh, yeah.” Spike answered, looking around the room for his girlfriend.

‘My girlfriend, Buffy.’ he thought, smiling slightly.

“What are you smiling about?” Xander asked a huge grin on his face.

“Nothing.” Spike told him.

Xander was about to retort, when Buffy and Fred approached.

“Bitch alert.” Jesse said quietly, looking in the other direction.

Fred sat down next to Jesse, and he looked at her in surprise. Fred smiled shyly, and looked down at the table.

Buffy moved to sit down next to Spike. Spike looked over at her in surprise. When she moved her leg over the bench, her skirt rode up, exposing her tanned thigh…which was right in front of Spike’s face. Spike snapped his head in other direction, waiting for her to sit down, and shifted uncomfortably in his seat.

When he looked back over, Buffy was looking at him. He smiled at her, and to his relief, she smiled back.

Spike looked at the others, all of them staring at Buffy, mouths hung open. Buffy looked around nervously.

“You all know Buffy, right?” Spike said, trying to ease the tension around them.

Anya was the first to speak, the only one not really affected by Buffy’s presence.

“What are you, stupid? Of course I know her.” Anya said.

Spike chuckled.

“I know that. I was just trying to make conversation.” Spike said, implying the current situation.

Willow spoke up next.

“Hi Buffy. How’ve you been?”

Buffy smiled at Willow, glad that at least one of them talked to her.

“I’ve been ok.”

And then there was silence again, no one knowing what to make of the situation.

Finally, Buffy stood up to leave, Spike looking at her questioningly.

“I’m going to go ahead and leave. I have to stop by my locker and all.” Buffy told them, before turning to Fred. “You coming?”

Fred nodded, and was glad to be rid of the awkwardness of the situation.

The others nodded, Willow told her bye. Spike avoided looking at her. Buffy leaned down to pick up her purse from the bench, and slipped her hand into Spike’s duster pocket. He looked at her, confused, and Buffy gave him a tiny smile, before walking away.

“Well, that was just…” Xander started, but trailed off.

“Awkward?” Jesse asked.

“I’d say just plain weird.” Oz said.

“Yeah, Spike, what was all that about?” Xander asked.

Spike didn’t comment, instead, he reached into the pocket Buffy stuck her hand in. He pulled out a tiny slip of paper, and opened it, under the table where the others couldn’t see.

Meet me after school on the football field. Buffy.

Spike tucked the paper back into his pocket and smiled.

“Spike? What was that?” Xander asked again.

Spike grinned at him.

“What, a bloke can’t let his girlfriend sit with him at lunch?”

Spike’s smile got bigger, when the whole group stared at him in shock.

‘Oh, yeah. This is going to be a real good day.’, he thought.