Chapter 14

Saturday afternoon, Buffy walked to Jesse’s father’s shop to see how the car was coming along. She didn’t know if Spike would be there, and she didn’t know what she would do if he was. Run, maybe?

Buffy reached her destination and opened the door quietly, walking inside.

“Hello?” she called out.

She saw someone kneeling in front of the car and, taking a deep breath, walked over.

“Hey.”

The figure stood up, removing his protective mask.

“Hey.” Jesse replied.

Buffy started, realizing she was alone with Jesse, the very same Jesse that hated her with a fiery passion.

Jesse turned away from her, sliding his mask down, and continued his work. He stopped, realizing Buffy wasn’t leaving like he secretly wanted her to. So, he stood up again, removing his mask.

“Do you need something?”

“Um, I was just stopping by to see how the car was coming along.” Buffy answered, looking down at the floor.

“Well, it’s fine. Spike’s not here so you can see yourself out the door.” Jesse answered, sliding the mask down and turning away.

“I’m sorry.” Buffy said.

Jesse stopped working and turned around slowly, cocking his head to the side.

“I’m sorry. Look, I know you hate me after…do you mind?” Buffy made a motion over her face.

Jesse slid the mask up and nodded.

“You practically ruined my life. Well, socially anyway. Not that it was very social-but that’s not the point. The point here is that you embarrassed me in front of the only girl I have ever had feelings for!” Jesse vented.

Buffy flinched at Jesse’s anger. He had never actually spoken to her about it until now.

“Look, I am really sorry-“

“You keep saying that. Are you really sorry Buffy? Or is it just some act? Just like your relationship with Spike, all an act.”

“Don’t you dare bring him into it! This is me and you here.” Buffy said.

“Me and you, huh? Do you even know how bad it hurt, when you told Cordelia that I was nothing but trash and didn’t deserve the likes of her? Just because my dad is a mechanic and my mom dropped off the face of the planet doesn’t mean that I’m trash! If anyone is, it’s you!” Jesse yelled.

“Stop yelling and let me explain!” Buffy yelled back, tears of frustration forming in her eyes.

Jesse crossed his arms and leaned against the car.

“Explain.”, he replied smoothly.

Buffy took a deep breath and started.

“First of all, I am not trash. Also, we were only freshman. Your feelings couldn’t have been that profound.”

Jesse started to interrupt, but Buffy put her hand up and continued.

“Ever since I moved here, I became friends with Cordelia, and Anya became friends with you. You guys seem really close. And when you started to ask Cordelia to the dance, I panicked because you don’t deserve a girl like her.”

“A girl like her. My point confirmed.” Jesse snapped, glaring at Buffy.

“That’s not what I meant. Ever since Anya became your friend, I had heard nothing but good things about you. You seemed like a really fun and nice person. Now, what I meant is, you didn’t and still don’t deserve a girl like her.”

“Elaborate.” Jesse told her.

“Cordelia is the reincarnation of Lucifer himself.” Buffy said, solemnly.

Jesse stared at her for a moment, and then burst into laughter, while Buffy looked at him confused.

“Yeah, she is.” Jesse gasped out, between laughs.

“I’m sorry. Really sorry. I know I hurt you. But you don’t deserve a bitch like her. Better yet, she doesn’t deserve a guy like you. Understand?”

“Yeah. I get it now. Maybe it was better this way.” Jesse answered.

“What do you mean?”

“Maybe it was better that you did what you did. Probably would have saved me more pain in the long run. Now that I think of it, her rejection probably would have made me cry.” Jesse told her.

Buffy giggled at his last statement, and Jesse smiled back at her.

“You think we can be friends? Only if you want to. I can understand if you still choose to hate me. After all-“

Jesse cut her off mid-ramble.

“I think so.”

Buffy looked up at him and smiled.

“Really?”

“Yeah. As long as you promise not to hurt Spike.” Jesse answered.

Buffy gave him a confused look.

“Hurt him? Why would I-“

“He’s been hurt before, and I don’t want him to be hurt like that again. I don’t know if you realize it, but the only reason Spike made up this agreement was because he has a serious crush on you.”

Buffy stared at Jesse, eyes wide.

“What?”

Jesse started to respond when Spike walked in.

“Jesse, you would never believe-“

Buffy and Jesse turned to face Spike.

“Hey you two.” Spike said.

“Hey man.” Jesse greeted.

“Hi.” Buffy said, quietly, still in shock from Jesse’s earlier statement.

‘Great. I knew it. She hates me.’ Spike thought.

“So, what are you two doing? Not killing each other obviously.” Spike said, smirking, while trying to keep his cool.

“Oh, we made up.” Buffy told him.

“Yep. Everything’s all peaches and cream here.” Jesse replied, throwing his arm around Buffy’s shoulder.

“Now, you wouldn’t dare to try to take my girl away from me would you, mate?” Spike asked, eyebrows raised and smirk in place.

‘My girl! He said I was his girl!’ Buffy thought frantically.

“Well, she is a good catch, but I have my eyes on someone else.” Jesse replied, smiling.

“Uh, guys, I’m standing right here.” Buffy spoke up, blushing furiously.

“Buffy came by to see how the car was coming along.” Jesse told Spike, removing his arm from around Buffy and moving toward the car.

“It’s almost finished, right?” Spike asked, following him over to the car.

“Yeah. We just have to fix the paint on the front and she should be as good as new.” Jesse replied.

“Oh, well you have two extra days. My mom called last night and she won’t be back until Monday.” Buffy told them.

“Ok. We should have it finished by at least tomorrow.” Jesse said.

“Ok. Well, I gotta go. See you guys later.” Buffy told them, waving and walking away.

Spike watched her leave and turned to Jesse.

“Made up, huh?”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

As soon as Buffy walked in the door, the phone rang. She hurried to the kitchen, thinking it was her mother, and picked up the phone.

“Hello?”

“Hey Buffy.” Angel replied.

“Oh hey Angel. What’s up?”

“I was wondering if you wanted to meet me at the Bronze tonight.” Angel asked.

“Um, aren’t you-“

“It’s not a date. I want you to meet my girlfriend, soon-to-be-fiancé.”

“Oh! Well, yeah. That would be nice. Wait, fiancé?”

“Soon to be. I hope. I haven’t proposed yet.”

“Aww. That’s so sweet.” Buffy replied, smiling.

“Yeah. So, what time do you want to meet?” Angel asked.

“Um, maybe sevenish? Oh, can I bring a friend?”

“Seven is fine. Sure, bring a friend. The more the merrier.” Angel replied.

“Ok. Great. See you then.”

“Bye.”

Buffy hung up the phone and headed upstairs. She knocked on Fred’s door.

“Come in.” Fred yelled.

Buffy walked in and flopped on the bed.

“Whatcha doing?” Buffy asked.

Fred looked up from her computer.

“I’m just looking up some information for my history report.”

Buffy sat up on the bed.

“I have an idea.”

“What’s that?” Fred asked.

“Why don’t we go out tonight? I’m meeting a friend and his girlfriend at the Bronze and I thought that maybe you would like to get out.”

Fred thought for a moment, and then smiled shyly.

“I-I don’t know what to wear.”

Buffy giggled.

“I can help you with that.”

Fred nodded.

“Ok. I’ll go. But you’re sure I won’t be a problem?”

“No, of course not. We haven’t had a chance to go out since you got here. And maybe we can go shopping tomorrow.” Buffy told her.

“Alright.”

Buffy jumped up from the bed.

“Well, let’s get you ready to go out then.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy and Fred walked into the Bronze at seven. Buffy had put on her favorite leather pants and a crimson low-cut tank top. Fred was wearing a long black skirt and a dark blue top. Buffy scanned the crowd for Angel, and headed over to the table when she saw him.

“Hey you.” Buffy greeted.

“Hey.” Angel replied, standing up and hugging Buffy.

Buffy stepped back and linked her arm in Fred’s, who was fidgeting nervously.

“Angel, Fred. Fred, Angel.” Buffy said, introducing the two.

“Hey. You’re living with Buffy, right? From LA?” Angel asked, helping the two in their chairs.

“Yeah.” Fred replied, quietly.

“Uh, where’s your girlfriend?” Buffy asked, looking around.

“Bathroom. I’m pretty sure it’s a pregnancy thing.” Angel replied, smiling.

Buffy giggled.

“I’m back. At least the bathroom was fairly clean.” a blonde girl around Buffy’s age said, walking up to stand next to Angel.

Angel kissed her on the cheek.

“Buffy, Fred, this is my girlfriend Darla. Darla, this is Buffy and Fred.” Angel said, making introductions.

“Hi. I’ve heard a lot about you.” Buffy said, shaking Darla’s hand, and Fred gave a tiny wave.

Angel helped Darla with her chair.

“Do you ladies want anything? I’m paying.” Angel asked.

“Just a coke.” Buffy replied.

“Coke’s fine.” Fred told him.

“What about you, sweetie?” Angel asked Darla.

Darla leaned over and whispered in Angel’s ear. Angel pulled back, making a face, but shrugged and left.

“So, he says a lot about me, huh?” Darla asked, smiling.

“Yeah, like how happy he is, how he is so excited to be a…um…” Buffy trailed off, not sure if it was ok to refer to the pregnancy.

Darla laughed.

“Oh, it’s ok. Not a lot of people know, but I guess they will in a few months.”

Buffy nodded.

“So, how far along are you?” Fred asked.

Darla smiled.

“About twelve weeks.”

“What do your parents think about becoming grandparents?” Buffy asked.

“Oh, they don’t know. Probably won’t notice. They’re never home, always on trips.” Darla replied.

Angel reappeared with their orders, sitting a coke in front of Buffy and Fred.

“I really don’t know how you can eat this.” Angel told Darla, sitting next to her.

“Why not? It’s just a flowering onion with vinegar.”

Buffy giggled at Angel’s face.

“But it’s not normal.” Angel protested.

“So? At least I don’t eat banana and mayonnaise sandwiches.” Darla retorted, mouth full of food.

“Touché.” Angel mumbled, taking a sip of water.

They sat in silence for a few moments, until a slow song came on.

“Want to dance?” Angel asked Darla.

“Not now. Take Buffy.”

Angel looked at Buffy, who looked at Darla.

“Are you sure?”

“Go ahead. Fred can keep me company. Besides, I don’t think the owners would be too happy if I got sick all over their dance floor.” Darla replied, laughing.

Fred glanced around nervously, and Angel and Buffy went to the dance floor.

“So, why did you move here?” Darla asked.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spike drove towards the Bronze with Jesse, Anya, and Xander. He had tried to call Buffy to ask her out again, but no one answered. Anya told him she was probably shopping with Fred. He pulled into the parking lot, and they all got out, heading toward the entrance.

He had talked to Anya earlier, and she had given him high hopes for a possible relationship with Buffy. But as soon as he entered the Bronze, all his hopes of being with Buffy crumbled.