Chapter 2


Buffy met Angel at his car after school. Angel walked to the car and got in. Buffy stood there a moment, wondering if he saw her. She opened the door, and got in.

Angel started the car and drove off. ‘Why isn’t he talking?’, Buffy thought. After an agonizing five minutes, Buffy decided to try to start a conversation.

“So, uh, thanks for taking me home.”

“No problem.” Angel said, not looking at her.

“Um, I know it’s not my business, but, are you ok?” Buffy asked, tentatively.

“Yeah. I just have a lot on my mind.” Angel replied, finally glancing at her.

“Well, if you ever want to talk…” Buffy trailed off, confused by Angel’s behavior.

The rest of the ride was made in silence. Angel pulled up in front of Buffy’s house.

“Are you going to the Bronze tonight?” Angel asked.

“Probably.” Buffy answered.

“Maybe I’ll see you there?” Angel asked.

“Yeah.” Buffy said, smiling.

“Good. See you later then.”

Buffy got out of the car. She was going to turn back to thank Angel again, but he had already sped off.

She shook her head, completely confused by his sudden change of behavior. ‘He seemed to eager to drive me home.’, she thought.

Buffy walked into the house and headed to her room.

“Buffy!”

Buffy turned, heading back down the stairs, to the kitchen.

“Hi mom.”

“Hi sweetie.” Her mother, Joyce, said from her spot next to the stove.

“How was school?”

“Same as usual. Where’s Anya?” Buffy asked, noticing the other blonde was nowhere in sight.

“She’s upstairs in her room.”

Buffy nodded, and Joyce walked over to the counter to stand across from Buffy.

“Have you thought about what you wanted to do for your birthday?”

“I don’t want to do anything. No parties. Buffy birthdays are always bad.” Buffy said.

“Ok, no parties. How about a movie night? You, me and presents. And cake.” Joyce suggested, smiling.

“As long as you invite Ben and Jerry.” Buffy replied.

“Of course. Can’t leave them out.”

“That’s ok, then? You don’t have to go to the gallery?” Buffy asked.

“Sure, it’s ok. I am working tonight though. I’m leaving in a few minutes. So, you can order pizza if you want.”

Buffy sighed.

“Can I go out?”

“I guess. As long as you come back at a decent hour. It is a school night, you know.”

“I know, mom. I promise to come home early.”

“Ok. Oh, Cordelia called. She said to call her back. You’re not meeting her tonight are you? You know I don’t like her, or the other two.”

“They’re my friends, mom.”

“I know, honey. But I still don’t like them.”

Buffy walked with Joyce to her car. Joyce opened the door and put her things in the car.

“You be careful tonight, ok?”

“I will.”

Joyce kissed Buffy on the cheek.

“Bye honey.”

“Bye mom.”

Buffy watched her mother drive away, then turned to go into the house.

‘Another night spent alone.’, she thought as she walked inside.

Buffy heard the phone ringing, and the answering machine pick up. She walked over to the phone, prepared to pick it up, but put her hand down when she heard Cordelia’s voice.

“Buffy, you need to call me. Now, damn it! Hello? Ugh, fine, call me later.”

Cordelia disconnected, and the answering machine clicked off. Buffy watched the red light blink for a moment. She started to pick up the phone again, but hit the delete message button instead.

‘Suddenly I don’t feel like going out tonight.’, she thought, as she headed upstairs. She stopped by Anya’s room and peeked in. Anya was lying on her bed reading Cosmo.

“Are you coming in or are you just going to stare at me? There seems to have been a lot of staring today and I would prefer if you would just say hello.” Anya said, not looking up.

Buffy walked in, and stood off to the side, feeling awkward. She and Anya used to be the best of friends until they hit high school and Buffy got popular. Even though they lived in the same house, they had hardly talked to each other since.

“Hey. What are you reading?” Buffy asked.

“Cosmo. Sex stuff.” Anya replied, absently, turning a page.

“Mom said we could get pizza.”

“She told me.”

“Are you going out tonight?” Buffy asked. She secretly hoped she wasn’t, because she wanted to spend some time with her sister, get to know her again.

“Most likely.” Anya replied.

“Oh. I thought maybe since mom was gone, you and I could stay in and-“ Buffy started, but was cut off by Anya’s phone.

Anya picked it up.

“Hello?—Hi Xander!—Sure. Pick me up at seven?—Ok.—Love you too. Bye.” Anya put the phone on the bed and stood up to get ready.

She walked by Buffy, seemingly oblivious to her presence. Buffy sighed, and walked out, deciding she would go out after all.

‘Better than being here by myself.’

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy heard Anya leave. She sighed again, and finished her makeup. She stepped back to examine herself in the mirror. She was wearing a pink skirt, with a matching pink spaghetti strap top, a present from Cordelia last Christmas.

‘Really not my style, but, whatever.’, she thought. She grabbed a coat and headed out.

When she got to the Bronze, she could hear the music thumping. She went inside, and began to walk towards the bar to get a drink when she heard Cordelia.

“There you are. Why didn’t you call me back? It’s not like you had anything important to do.” Cordelia told her.

“Sorry, Cordy. My mom had me run an errand for her.”, she lied.

“Whatever.” Cordelia said, tossing her hair.

“Go get our table before some loser grabs it. Harm and I will be there in a minute.” Cordelia told her, before walking away.

“Yes, mistress.” Buffy said, mockingly.

She headed towards their usual table. She bumped into someone. Willow looked up to see who she had run into. She looked at Buffy, a little afraid.

“Oops. Sorry.”

Buffy looked at her a moment.

‘Here it comes.’ Willow thought, preparing herself for any barbs Buffy threw at her.

To Willow’s shock, Buffy said, “It’s ok.”

Buffy looked at Willow in amusement as the girl stared at her, mouth hung open.

“So, who are you here with tonight?” Buffy asked her.

“Uh, I’m here with my friends and my boyfriend, Oz. Yeah, he’s my boyfriend.” Willow stammered.

Buffy smiled at Willow’s nervousness.

“That’s nice.”

“You want to meet him?” Willow asked hesitantly. She figured Buffy would say no, but she was shocked again when Buffy answered.

“Sure.”

“Ok.”

Willow led Buffy over to the sofas where her friends were sitting.

“Hey guys. You know Buffy, right?” Willow said.

Buffy was about to say hi, but stopped when Cordelia, Harmony, and Cecily walked up.

“Are these losers messing with you?” Cordelia asked.

Buffy started to speak, “I was just-“

“You weren’t talking to them were you?” Harmony asked.

Buffy sighed, deciding that any attempts at explaining were a lost cause. So she stood there, while the three girls insulted the group.

“Let’s go Buffy.” Cordelia said, walking away with Harmony and Cecily in tow.

Willow looked upset. Buffy threw her an apologetic look, and whispered, “Maybe some other time.”

Willow smiled a little and nodded. Buffy walked away to join the girls.

Halfway to the table, Buffy decided to go home. She didn’t feel like sitting at a table talking about hair and makeup. She turned around abruptly, and ran into something hard.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After witnessing the encounter with Buffy and her friends, Spike decided to go get a drink. He was walking back to the others when he saw Buffy in front of him, heading towards the three girls seated at one of the tables. Suddenly she turned and ran right into him. He stood there, looking at her. She looked up at him and blushed.

“Sorry.”, she mumbled, and walked around him.

Spike turned and watched her walk away.

“Strange girl.”, he said, and continued to his friends.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy was walking home, thinking about the night’s events. She was a little angry because she had almost made a new friend, until her current “friends” interrupted. Buffy shook her head.

‘Like I told Willow, maybe another time.’

Then her thoughts turned to a certain bleached blonde. She was embarrassed that she blushed in front of him.

‘He has a nice chest. I wonder if he works out. I like his eyes. Never seen eyes that blue before. Does he have a girlfriend? Maybe he likes me. He does stare at me a lot. God, why did I have to just say sorry? I could have talked to him….’

Buffy continued thinking about Spike, and before she knew it, she was standing on her front porch.