Chapter 1


It was lunchtime and everyone headed to the cafeteria. Buffy sat down with Cordelia and Harmony.

“Ugh. I hate history.” Harmony complained.

“I know. It’s so boring. I really don’t see the point in taking it. I say, what’s done is done, why should we care?” Cordelia stated.

Harmony nodded, taking a sip of her Diet Coke.

“We learn history so we can learn from their mistakes. It’s kinda interesting.” Buffy said, absently.

Cordelia and Harmony looked at Buffy. Buffy grinned sheepishly.

“But it’s still pointless and boring.” she added.

“Oh my God! Why does your sister go out with that loser?” Cordelia asked Buffy, pointing a few tables over to where Xander and Anya sat with the others.

“Maybe she loves him.” Buffy stated, getting annoyed.

Cordelia rolled her eyes.

“Whatever.”

“Yeah, whatever.” Buffy said quietly, looking at the other table.

She sighed, watching as Xander played with his food. She didn’t know what he was talking about, but judging by the laughter coming from the table, it had to be funny. She silently wished that she could have friends like them. They didn’t care what everyone else thought. They had fun just being themselves, where Buffy found herself constantly put on a pedestal. She had to be what everyone wanted her to be: gorgeous, popular, and not very intelligent. She wanted so much to come to school wearing clothes that she was into; to have true friends, the ones who would stay by you no matter what happened in life; she wanted to be more active in history class discussions, for that was her favorite subject. She wanted to be….herself.

Buffy was shaken from her thoughts by a shrill sound. Buffy jumped, looking around, before realizing it came from Harmony.

“You’ve been totally ignoring us.” Harmony whined.

“Yeah, Buffy. What is your deal?” Cordelia snapped, glaring at Buffy.

“Sorry. I was thinking about, uh…” Buffy scrambled to cover herself. She was saved when she saw Angel.

“Angel! That’s what I was thinking about.” Buffy said.

“Oh. Well, you could’ve said something before ignoring us.” Cordelia said.

“Sorry.” Buffy said.

“So, when do you think he’ll ask you out? Cuz, he will be the best Prom date….” Cordelia rambled.

Buffy sighed again, wishing the torture would stop.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“And then William the Bloody was all ‘I’m gonna eat you!’” Xander said, moving a chicken finger around. “And Anne was, like, ‘I’m gonna kill you, William the Bloody!’”, Xander continued, using another chicken finger. “And then Anne grabbed her stake, and plunged it towards his heart.” Xander took a toothpick and stabbed a chicken finger with it, and made stabbing motions at the other one. He smiled happily and put the chicken down. The others were roaring with laughter at Xander’s recap of his favorite show, Anne the Vampire Slayer.

“Well?” Spike asked, after calming down.

“Well what?” Xander asked.

Spike rolled his eyes as his friend stared blankly at him.

“Did she do it?”

“Do what?” Xander asked, confused.

“Did she kill the bloke?” Spike asked, getting annoyed.

“Ohhh! No. There was a huge twist! She kissed him.”

“She kissed him. Well, that is one helluva twist.”

Spike glanced up, and saw Buffy staring intently at the table. He cocked his head to the side, wondering why she would be looking at them.

“What’s wrong?” Willow asked.

“Buffy’s staring at us.” Spike answered.

“She’s probably looking at someone behind us.” Oz spoke up, from his spot next to his girlfriend, Willow.

They all turned around, and after seeing no one interesting, they turned back around.

“Interesting.” Oz stated, and turned back to his fries.

“I guess that’s one of those mysteries of the universe.” Willow said, chuckling.

“That’s Buffy for you. There’s no telling what she’s thinking about right now.” Anya said.

Xander chuckled, an evil idea forming in his head. He looked at Spike.

“She might be thinking about boinking a certain bleach head we all know and love.”

Willow giggled, and Anya shrugged, noting that it was probably true. Spike turned red.

“I doubt it, whelp.”

“Come on Spike. I bet she’s thinking right now about how big your"- Xander stopped abruptly, when Anya smacked him in the chest.

“Xander! I don’t care if she’s a bitch, but she’s still my sister. So don’t talk about what she’s thinking.” Anya said, and then added, “Even though it’s probably true.”

“Alright, alright.” Xander said, rubbing his chest.

Spike sighed, and looked at Buffy. ‘God, I would give anything to be with her.’, he thought. But his hopes were dashed when he saw Angel sit next to Buffy.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Buffy gasped when Angel sat down next to her.

“Hey Buffy.”

Buffy stared at him, eyes wide, speaking only when Cordelia kicked her under the table.

“Hey Angel.”

“So, I was wondering if I could give you a ride home.” Angel asked, and then quickly added, “Unless you already have one.”

“No.” Buffy replied.

“Oh, ok then. Maybe some other time.” Angel turned to leave, when Buffy grabbed his arm.

“I meant, no, I don’t have a ride home, and I would love it if you would take me.” Buffy told him.

“Alright. I’ll see you after school then.” Angel said, and then walked away.

“He is going to ask you out.” Cordelia stated.

“He is so going to ask you out.” Harmony added.

Buffy smiled a little, and then heard laughter from the table she wished she was sitting at right then. She turned to see Xander rubbing his chest, while Anya was pointing her finger at him. Then she noticed Spike watching her intently. She smiled at him, and then turned back to Cordelia.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Bloody hell.”

The others turned to look at him.

“What?” Xander asked.

“She smiled at me.”

“Who?” Xander asked.

“Are you sure?” Willow asked.

“I was looking at her, and she smiled at me.”

“I’ll talk to her tonight if you want.” Anya said.

Spike nodded.

“Who smiled? Who are you going to talk to?” Xander asked, confused, while the others laughed.