Chapter 2

After a few weeks, Dawn had become more like her old, bright, bubbly self again and Buffy and Spike were growing closer. They patrolled together every night and often watched a movie when they got back. Buffy was more attracted to him the longer they were together and she started to realize that she didn't see him as a demon anymore. She was seeing him as a man.

Meanwhile, Spike's love for her was growing even deeper, if that were possible. He was trying very hard to be patient and wait for her to make the first move.

***

Spike couldn't believe his luck. The love of his un-life was curled up in his arms, fast asleep.

They had ordered pizza and then they'd all sat down together on the sofa. Buffy and Dawn had snuggled up together under a blanket while he had stayed at the end of the couch, watching over them. His happiness had increased even further when Buffy had decided to stretch out and rest her feet in his lap.

They had watched 'Miss Congeniality'. But he hadn't been able to really concentrate on the storyline, not with the object of his affections sitting so close to him.

Halfway through the movie, Dawn had yawned really loudly and trudged up the stairs to bed, after a mumbled goodnight. Without Dawn there, Buffy had tucked her feet under her body. Spike had been very disappointed and he'd had to suppress a shiver at the feeling of lost contact.

That was until she'd rested her head on his shoulder. He'd been ecstatic. He'd sat still because he'd been worried that the slightest movement would scare her away and he'd debated whether or not to wrap his arm around her waist.

The decision had been made for him when she'd snuggled closer and he'd instinctively put his arm around her.

Now, he watched her, as her eyes slowly drifted shut. He waited until her breathing evened out and then covered her up with the blanket. He tried to make her lie down, but she refused to relinquish her grip on him. Not that he minded.

He lay back on the sofa, bringing her with him, settling her gently on top of him. He couldn't bring himself to fall asleep because he knew that this was probably the only chance he would have with her, sleeping in his embrace.

So he lay awake and watched the rise and fall of her chest.

***

In the morning, Dawn trotted down the stairs, spied the sleeping couple, and decided that she could do with a few more hours of sleep after all. She quietly turned around and went back up the stairs.

A little while later, Buffy woke up slowly. As she did so, she shifted slightly and enjoyed the feel of a hard, muscular body underneath her. 'Wait, that's not right!'

She sat up with a jolt, and looked down to see an amused Spike smiling up at her.

"Mornin' luv. Sleep well?" he asked, with his patented smirk and raised eyebrow.

"Spike?" she asked, her sleep-addled mind not understanding what he was doing there, on her sofa, in her house, with her on top of him.

"Yes luv?"

"Um... good morning," she stammered, embarrassed.

"You fell asleep on top of me during the movie. I tried to shift you off, but you seemed to have other ideas. So, what's a fellow to do? I had to change all my plans for the evening and stay here with you".

She looked mortified.

"Just kidding you, kitten," he said, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "There's no place I'd rather be." Then he answered her unasked question. "And I didn't touch you, luv. I swear."

"No! I didn't think..."

"It's okay, luv. I'd be thinking the same thing in your shoes." He smiled at her again and she blushed.

"No. What I'm trying to say is that, I trust you not to take advantage of me and I trust you with Dawn."

He looked at her, astonishment reflected in his clear blue eyes.

"I trust you Spike," she echoed a final time.

It felt as though time froze for a few seconds and then, the reality of the situation washed over him. 'She trusts me.' A wide grin split his face and he looked blissfully happy. The only thing stopping him from jumping up and dancing a jig was the fact that she was still on top of him. 'And she doesn't look like she's going to be moving any time soon,' he thought. He'd never felt so happy before. Then, another thought occurred to him and his brow furrowed, as he considered the risk.

Buffy noticed his change in expression. "Spike? Is something wrong?"

"No luv. I was just wondering if I'd get beaten up if I tell you that you look beautiful when you're sleeping." She blushed yet again. He gazed into her eyes, willing her to see how much he loved her. She stared back, unblinking.

"Spike?" she whispered hoarsely.

"Yes kitten?" He instantly became serious and his eyes darted to her lips.

"Um... I forgot..." she tilted her head down slightly, their lips now only several inches apart.

"Mmm... you forgot what?" His was voice was deep, practically purring, eyes focused on her bottom lip. She leaned in closer, their lips now only a few millimetres apart.

She suddenly came back to herself and realized what she was doing.

She leapt up. "Sorry I... I'm sorry," she stammered, then turned and ran up the stairs and into her bedroom, leaving a very puzzled Spike sitting on the sofa.

***


Buffy paced back and forth by the foot of her bed. "Oh God! Oh God! Oh God!" Then, she sat on the edge of her bed and put her head in her hands.

"Buffy?" Dawn knocked on her door. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing Dawnie! Why... wha... why?" She mentally slapped herself. 'Yeah that'll convince her that nothing's wrong.'

"Oh come on, Buffy! I can hear you talking to yourself. Open the door?"

Sighing, Buffy stood up and unlocked the door. Dawn took her hand and led her back, to sit on the bed. "Okay, spill!" she demanded.

"Dawn... I... It's nothing," she looked at her sister, willing her (with her eyes) to just give up and not ask her about what happened. She knew she wouldn't be able to deceive her sister.

"Is this about Spike?"

"Spike?" Buffy squeaked, then cleared her throat, eyes wide, trying her best to look innocent.

"Ha! I knew it! You have a thing for him!"

Buffy turned bright red. "No Dawn! It's not about Spike..."

Dawn raised an eyebrow and regarded her skeptically. "Uh huh! Right, not about Spike..."

"Yep, nothing to do with Spike whatsoever."

"Buffy, come on! I know you totally have a thing for him."

If it were possible, Buffy turned even redder. "Dawn, no I don't... I can't... he's a vampire!"

"Buffy please! I saw you this morning, all cuddled up together, very cosy," Dawn smirked at her blushing sister.

"That was... a mistake, I didn't mean... I was tired and I fell asleep and he was there... It could have happened with anyone."

"Uh huh! You keep telling yourself that." She gave a suggestive wink. "Besides, how can you not think he's hot?"

"Dawn!" Buffy exclaimed, shocked.

"Well he is! Have you seen him naked?"

"Dawn! You better not have!" her sister gasped.

"Chill! I accidentally walked in on him when he was getting dressed. He only had his shirt off and he was completely embarrassed about the whole thing," Dawn exclaimed.

"Well. That's okay then. Yes, and I know, he's definitely a hottie!" Buffy confessed. "It's just that he's... dead and he's dead... dead!"

"You know, after a while, that excuse gets a bit old. Come on! He's completely in love with you, give him a chance!"

Buffy looked thoughtful.

"What happened downstairs to get you all freaked out anyway?"

Buffy looked away, embarrassed. "Um... well... er... we almost... sorta... we were very close to... kissing."

Dawn squealed with excitement. "Oh my God, Buffy! This is sooo huge!"

"Huh? Huge?! Not huge!" she insisted frantically.

Dawn calmed herself down after seeing how panicked and confused her sister was. "You're right, Buffy. This isn't that huge..." she smiled reassuringly.

Buffy calmed down a bit and flopped back on her bed with a sigh. "What am I going to do?" she groaned.

"Um... you go back downstairs and talk to him."

"No! I can't face him yet. Not after..."

"Oh! Come on! This is Spike, he won't rush you or get mad. If you tell him you want to take things slow, he'll do it... He'd do anything for you."

Buffy took a deep breath.

"And Buffy?"

"Yes Dawnie?"

"Don't forget to breathe because I don't think it's healthy for your face to turn purple too often, like it did a minute ago."

Buffy gave her sister the evil eye. "Very funny!"

"I thought so, now go!" and with that, Dawn pushed her sister out the door.

***


Spike was sitting on the sofa, lacing up his boots when Buffy walked back in. She cleared her throat nervously "Wh... are you going somewhere?'

"Yeah, you must have stuff to do. I'll get out of your way."

'Don't let him leave like this Buffy,' she thought frantically. "Spike it's daytime. You'll get all crispy if you go outside," she babbled. 'Ha! Good thinking!'

"It's okay pet, if I run really fast and stick to the shadows, I can make it to the sewers... I hope, no worries!" he said nonchalantly. He grabbed his duster and stood up to slip it on.
"Spike, please stay."

He blinked, stopped what he was doing and regarded her silently.

"Keep me company? Dawn's going shopping with Janice, and I have nothing to do all day."

Spike's face broke into a grin, a sight that she didn't get to see often. It was especially rare to see him look so genuinely happy.

"Please?"

"Okay, kitten. I'll stay."

She smiled in relief. She loved it when he called her 'kitten'. He called everyone 'pet' or 'luv' but he reserved 'kitten' for her only.

"I want to apologise about earlier..."

"Spike, don't... I... it wasn't... then I panicked, I'm sorry. You understand?" she mentally kicked herself for being such a spaz.

"Sure Slayer. We'll forget it ever happened," he said, hurt evident in his voice.

"No... I mean..." she took a step forward. "I'm sorry I jumped up and spoiled the mood." With that, she tilted her head up and claimed his lips with her own.

Spike's mind could barely comprehend what was happening as he lost himself in her kiss. The only thought he had was, 'I love her and she's kissing me.' He wrapped his arms tightly around her and pulled her as close to him as possible. She moaned. He took advantage of that fact and slipped his tongue into her mouth. She caressed it with her own. The intensity of the kiss made her knees feel weak.

Breathing was becoming a problem for Buffy. She didn't want to lose the wonderful contact she had with his mouth, but she was beginning to run out of oxygen. As if sensing her problem, Spike pulled back and began placing wet kisses down her neck. His hands gently stroked her back in small soothing circles. She moaned again and felt her legs give out.

Spike scooped her up and moved them over to the sofa. Placing her gently on his lap, he continued his oral exploration of her neck, shoulder and ear. She snuggled into his chest with a contented sigh.

He moved back up to her mouth again and nuzzled the corner of it with his own. "Look at that lip, gonna get it, gonna get it," he murmured. His deep voice sent tingles through her body. She let out another moan when she felt him trace her bottom lip with his tongue. She parted her lips and he slipped his tongue back into her mouth.

"Spike!" she managed to gasp. "Do... don't leave me."

He paused in his ministrations. "I told you I'd stay here today," he said as he gently kissed her on the lips.

"Mmmm... still so tired and you're so comfy," she said as she let out a little yawn.

"You sleep, kitten," he pressed a kiss to her forehead. "I'll watch over you."

"'kay." She closed her eyes "Don't ever leave me... they always leave."

"Wild horses," he told her softly "they couldn't ever keep me away."