Author's Chapter Notes:
This story has been nominated in Round 3 at the Blood Ties Awards!! Thank you so much to whoever nominated this story and me - I was completely taken by surprise! I'm so happy I decided to post the next chapter for you all. Thanks again to Jess and everyone who has reviewed! Thanks again!!
Chapter Eleven

The second day of November was raining causing the sky to be grey and overcast. The attic had a gloomy feel to it as we listened to the patter of raindrops against the roof and windows. Still munching on the candy from Halloween, we were making paper leaves in fall colors to hang along with the pumpkins made the other night.

“How come Connor and I weren’t in your story?” Dawn asked suddenly.

“Huh?” Will replied back, confused.

“The people in your story with the Gentlemen were all based on people we know. Buffy, was obviously Elizabeth and you were the vampire, Spike. You had Cordelia as Buffy’s friend, just like Elizabeth’s in real life. Even Mr. Merrick was the watcher, which isn’t really the same as a neighbor, but he did come over to check on us when mom and dad went out.” Dawn could be very perceptive at times, considering she was only eight. “So how come me or Connor weren’t in it?”

“Well, I didn’t need that many characters.” He shrugged. “You want to be in a story?” Will asked.

“Yeah, I think it would be neat. Besides, I liked it. I think if you did another story it would be really good. With Buffy being a slayer, you could come up with all kinds of monsters for her to fight.” Dawn answered getting into it. Connor took much interest in this conversation.

“Me too!” Connor butted in excitedly. “I want to be in a story.”

“Did you think it was good?” Will asked Connor.

“Yeah, I liked it when their heads exploded and when the guy couldn’t scream as they were cutting out his heart. That part was really cool.” I shook my head that Connor was so fascinated by the macabre scene. “I wish I knew what they looked like though. I bet their teeth were nasty with them always smiling.”

“Really? What if I put some pictures to it, like a comic book?” Will seemed excited at the thought of putting something like this together. He rarely shared his other drawings and writings since they were usually about Cecily and everyone made fun of him for those.

“That would be awesome.” Connor said, abandoning his leaves. “I want special powers too, like Buffy’s.”

“Well, you can’t be a Slayer. Only girls are slayers.” Will replied as if that little fact was common knowledge.

“Who says?” Connor asked defiantly.

“I do because I’m the writer. I can make you into something else though. Spike’s got special powers as a vampire; I’ll just come up with something for you too.” I could tell William was already thinking of different ideas.

“I want to be something magical, not a slayer.” Dawn said, snapping Will out of his thoughts.

“Elizabeth, you’re too quiet. What do you think of the slayer and her being based on you?” Will asked a little nervously.

“I thought the story was good, with drawings it could be even better.” I reassured my brother. “Dawn’s right, you could do all kinds of stories just from her being a warrior and I certainly don’t mind being used to spread a little girl power. You can get more into the mythology of being the chosen one you mentioned in this story, you can even do the back story for Spike and the slayer’s past, as well as them taking down the government agency. There’s a lot of potential, especially with these two monkeys chiming in.” I pointed to Dawn and Connor, who both smiled at me.

“You don’t think it’s stupid?” Will asked, still not convinced.

“Of course not, you’re so talented and creative. You have a gift for writing and drawing, you should use them.”

Will was the one now smiling at my words. “Ok then, I’ll do some more stories. I’ll even put some drawings into the last one.”

“Can I help you with the drawings of the Gentlemen? I really think they should have nasty teeth.” Connor supplied.

“Sure, but I get final say. It’s my creative license as head writer and artist.” William said, getting up to find the charcoal pencils and one of his writing books. Connor scrambled up to follow him, as Dawn and I rolled our eyes at the two. Boys and their comic books.

************************************************

Later that night after the twins had gone to sleep, Will and I sat up in the attic. He was showing me the rough sketches that he and Connor had worked on for the Gentlemen, while he talked about different ideas that they had come up with for plots. “You really don’t think this is stupid?” He asked.

“Not at all, in fact, I think it’s a wonderful idea. This is a great project to keep the twins focused on something besides being stuck here. It will keep them distracted from thinking about mom and not being able to live normally. Us too, for that matter.”

“We need to talk about mom.” A muscle in Will’s jaw twitched. “You need to lay off her some.”

“What? Why?” I asked in protest. “You were the one that went rushing out of here the other night pissed off because she was kissing someone. I don’t understand how you can’t want to question her.”

“I know I was pissed the other night, but I was in shock. I never expected to see mom with anyone else besides dad. But I’ve been thinking since she came to visit and I think she’s right. She lost her husband that she loved very much, but she’s not dead, she has a right to continue on with her life.”

“So what, you’re just ok with all this?”

“No, I’m not just ok with it, but I have to learn to accept it and dad’s death. We all do. Elizabeth, we have to trust her. We don’t know what’s going on outside these walls, she does. I have to believe that she’s doing the right thing, that mom knows what’s best. Otherwise, this is all for not and we’ll go crazy in here.”

“Will, I understand what you are saying but I think this whole plan is crazy. I was skeptical about just moving here. Now we are being hidden away, while mom lives it up. She doesn’t know what it’s like for us in here.”

“It’s not so bad, is it? I think we’re doing a good job of making it work.” Will sounded dejected.

“That’s not what I mean, Will, you know you’re doing a great job at making things as normal as possible for the twins, but the truth is, it’s not. We can plan Halloween parties and teach them long division, but it’s not the same as being in school or interacting with kids their own age. “

“We’ve already been here two months. According to mom, she still thinks we’ll be out of here around Christmas. That’s only a few more months, it’s not that long.”

“That’s what she’s saying now, but she also said she would be around more often. Since we got here, she’s only visited us twice and the first time was only a few days after we arrived. I’m just saying that I think her timeline might be off and if it is, just how long are we ok with living like this.”

“It goes back to trusting her, Elizabeth. I’m not saying you can’t question her, but just back off a bit. You put her on the defensive, questioning her motives and doubting her love. If you keep doing that, she may decide it’s better if she just doesn’t come around at all.”

“Fine, fine, you win. I’ll control my temper when she comes around. I’ll ask questions in a calm and reasonable manner. Happy?”

“I’ll be happy when I see it. You are the most stubborn person I know.” Will said playfully looking at me with a smile, but then turned serious. “We are her children. You act like she can just stop caring for us after sixteen years.”

“I know she can’t, but she’s different. I mean last year she was dressing up as Professor McGonagall to bring the twins around the neighborhood for Halloween, this year she didn’t even show up.” I looked at him smugly. “You know, I’m right.”

“Well, she came the day after because she was getting ready for the party beforehand. She was busy working on getting us out of here.”

“Right, the ball.” I said with disdain.

“Yes, the ball.” Will mocked. “I’ll make a bet with you. Your birthday’s coming up in two weeks, the big sixteen. I think she’ll show up. If she does, give her a chance.” He pleaded softly.

I wasn’t going to give in to his puppy-dog eyes so easily. “And if she doesn’t?”

“She will.” He was so sure of her.

“But if she doesn’t?” I challenged.

“I’ll let you loose the next time she comes around after that. No admonishing, no jumping in. You can wag your tongue all you want.” He then stuck his tongue out at me and wiggled it around.

“Hey! Watch where you stick that thing!” I attacked his ribs with my fingers where I knew he was the most ticklish.

“Oh, you don’t want to go there missy.” He said, laughing as he trapped my arms and dove in for his own attack. The sound of our laughter echoed throughout the attic as we spent a carefree moment in a tickle fight, leaving thoughts of mother behind us.