Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much for all the reviews - I'm glad I surprised most of you. Also, this story has been nominated at the Breathless Awards (thanks Whitelighter!) . Hope you enjoy - please leave a review, I love to hear what you think :)
CHAPTER 13

“Mom, you came.” I said while still in the uneasy embrace.

“Of course I came. It’s my baby’s sixteenth birthday. This is a big day in your life.” Mom said pulling away, slightly hurt. “You didn’t think I would?”

“I just, I wasn’t sure. We haven’t seen you in a while and I didn’t know if you’d be able to get away.” I felt guilty for thinking she wouldn’t be here on my birthday so I pulled her more firmly back into the hug. Over mom’s shoulder, I saw William smirking a few feet away with an ‘I told you so’ look on his face.

“Well, believe me I wouldn’t miss this day for anything.” She kissed me again and turned to everyone else. “I brought pizza because I figured you all needed a touch of the outside world. Besides, there’s no better way to celebrate a birthday. I confess that I miss our Friday pizza nights together.” Mom went to hug the rest of her children and then dug into one of the boxes. “I got all kinds – pepperoni, sausage, mushroom and onion and Hawaiian just for you, William. I figured you wouldn’t mind leftovers so I got a lot.”

“No, we don’t mind at all. This is perfect. I didn’t realize how much I missed pizza until I smelled it when you came in the door.” I said grabbing a big slice of pepperoni and shoving it in my mouth.

“Mommy, I made you a hat too.” Dawn said as she went over to give mother her homemade party favor.

“Oh, thank you honey. It’s beautiful. Did you make everyone’s hats?” Mom asked while patting Dawn’s head.

“Well, not just me. Connor helped.” Dawn said as she grabbed a slice of pizza. Connor’s reply was indiscernible since his mouth was full.

“So, what else has been going on? Fill me in.” Mom said as she began on her own slice.

William answered, “Nothing much. Elizabeth and I have been teaching the twins daily lessons to keep up their schooling.”

“We’re learning about Plymouth Rock and the Pilgrims and Indians since Thanksgiving is coming up.” Connor piped in between chewing.

“I’ve been working out – I can bench up to 75 pounds, my goal is to get to 100 pounds by Christmas.” William continued.

“That’s actually impressive since he could barely do 50 pounds when we first got here.” I told mom which earned me a smack on the arm from William. “Hey! It’s my birthday, you’re not supposed to hit me.”

“Well then, don’t make fun of my manliness.” William said lightheartedly.

“I see nothing has changed between you two, still teasing each other mercilessly.” Mom said with a laugh.

“We had waffles this morning, Elizabeth’s favorite, and Connor and I helped William write another story.” Dawn stopped talking suddenly and gave Will an alarmed look, before whispering loudly. “Did I just give away our surprise?”

Will laughed, “Don’t worry about it, nibblet. I’m pretty sure Beth already knows, sometimes she can be pretty smart.”

“Hey!” That jibe earned William a smack from me.

“The story from Halloween sounded very creative. I can’t wait to hear what you did this time first hand.” Mom said giving William a supportive smile.

“You’re staying then?” I asked, surprised that she was going to hang around.

“Of course, I told you I wasn’t going to miss your big day. I know it’s not the same as the big party you were probably hoping for this year, but being with your family is the most important thing. I just wish your father was here to share it.” Mom said as her eyes started to tear up.

Trying to dissolve the somber mood that hovered in the room at the mention of dad, William started in quickly, “You should see what we did with the Halloween story. Dawn and Connor gave me the idea to add pictures. We made it into a little comic book.” William got up and retrieved the story from the desk. He walked back and handed it to mother.

As she flipped through the pages, she smiled brightly. “Oh William, did you draw all these? The pictures are wonderful, you’ve really brought the story to life. I’m so proud of you.” She got up and hugged him tightly. “I’m so proud of all of you. I’m happy that you guys are managing so well with the way things are right now. I know it isn’t ideal, but you are really doing a great job at keeping this family together.” Usually, I would have had a few things to say at this point, but I did lose the bet with William since mom showed up today so I held my tongue. Besides, I didn’t feel like picking a fight on my birthday.

Before anyone could say another word, Adam entered the room with a cake full of candles. Mother started singing ‘Happy Birthday’ and the twins quickly joined in. William gathered up the pizza boxes and cleared a place on the table for the cake. As Adam left the room, Will told me to blow out the candles and make a wish. I blew them all out on the first try and wished to get out of this room, before cutting into the cake.

“Ooh, ice cream cake. We haven’t had ice cream since we’ve come here either.” I said, handing a piece to Dawnie.

“Even better, it’s Carvel with the chocolate crunchies. I had Adam pick it up special.” Will said as he took over the cutting. “The birthday girl shouldn’t have to do any work.” He said and handed me the next piece. We ate the cake while chatting about inconsequential topics and we were all stuffed by the time we were done.

“I have a couple of presents for you honey. William, do you mind if I give them to her before you start your story?” Mom asked.

“Of course not, mom.” Will said as he came over to me while mom left the room to get the presents. “I told you she’d come.” Will said smugly.

“What can I say? You were right, and she almost seems like our old mother again.” I said turning to him.

“Give her a chance, I know she’s trying.” Will said as he grabbed my hand.

“I will, William, you won the bet after all. Didn’t you notice that I held back after her family diatribe?”

“I did. Thank you.” He said with a smile as he lifted my hand to kiss just as mom came back into the room.

“I hope you like them. I’m pretty sure you will.” Mom said handing me a large square box.

I tore off the pretty red and silver paper to reveal a wicker box. When I lifted the lid, there were all kinds of bath products inside – bubble bath, body lotion, exfoliating gel, bath crystals, soaps and massage oils. They came in all different sizes and scents. It included a few different loofahs, sponges, scrub brushes and bath gloves. I loved it.

“I figured if anyone was taking advantage of the big claw foot tubs in these rooms, it would be you.” Mom said with a smile, not knowing how right she was.

“She’ll get good use out of that. Sometimes she stays in the bath so long, she comes out looking like a prune.” William said earning snickers from Dawn and Connor.

“Thanks, mom. I really do use the bath a lot.” I said blushing.

“I’m glad you like it, but I have one more for you which is much more important.” Mom handed me a smaller black velvet box with a gold bow on it.

I opened the box to find a round silver locket on a thick ornate chain inside. In the center of the locket was a round diamond. Extending around the diamond were flower petals beautifully carved into the silver. Opening the locket, I saw two pictures on the inside. One side was of Mom, Will and the twins, while the other side had one of me and dad. Feeling the etching on the back, I turned it over to read the inscription ‘Happy 16th, With Love Always, Mom.’

“I had it specially made. The diamond is from your dad’s wedding ring. I wanted to give you something to remind you of your father. I know the last time I was here you were upset because you still missed him. This way, you’ll always have his memory close to your heart, even if you have to let him go.”

She wiped away a tear that I didn’t know had fallen from my cheeks. “It’s beautiful.” I whispered as I looked up at her. She hugged me tightly as I cried a little more on her shoulder. With all that had happened over the past few months, I had forgotten how much mom had loved us and how much I had loved her before we came to Rayne Manor.

Gently, she took the locket out of my hands and placed it around my neck before pulling me into a fierce hug. “I love you so much, honey.”

“I love you too.” I said and meant it with all my heart.