Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for the support and sorry for the scare the other day. This chapter contains dialogue from the episode 'Helpless' written by David Fury. Hope you enjoy - please leave a review!
CHAPTER 14

Soon after my hug fest with mom, William went to get the story that he wrote for my birthday. Mom and I sat against the headboard of on one of the beds with Dawn snuggled up between us while Connor stretched out at the foot of it. “Ok, this is a new story of Buffy the Vampire Slayer as written by myself in collaboration with Dawn and Connor. “ The twins smiled proudly at William and then at me and mom. William sat in the desk chair at the end of the bed and began the story.

“Late one night in a Sunnydale playground, a vampire did a somersault down the slide and onto the ground. Buffy ran down the slide after him, stopping next to him in a ready stance.

“Buffy grinned above him. ‘Wow, that was really funny-looking! Could you do it again?’

”The vampire sneered as he jumped up from the ground and took a swing at her, which she dodged, and came up behind him. He turned towards her just in time to take a roundhouse kick in the shoulder. He took another swing, but the slayer was too quick. She ducked; punching him in the gut then rose to give him two backhand punches in the head. Buffy shoved the vampire back a step so she could follow up with a half-spinning wheel kick, making the vampire stumble onto the merry-go-round. She strode toward him going in for the kill.

‘Okay, so here's the deal.’ Buffy said, while raising her wooden stake.

“Suddenly, she was overcome by dizziness. Buffy closed her eyes and stepped back unsteadily. The vampire seized the opening and rushed her, grabbing her by the jacket in order to throw her to the ground. The vampire jumped on top of her. She turned her head away in fright. He grabbed her right wrist with one hand, and with the other, grabbed her arm and twisted it around, making her cry out in pain. Her stake was now pointed at her own chest.

‘Lemme know if I'm not doing this right.’ the vampire taunted her.

“The slayer’s eyes went wide with terror as she struggled desperately with him. The vampire leaned hard on the stake, slowly pushing it closer to Buffy's chest. She continued to struggle to keep him at bay, but she was losing the battle. In a desperate attempt to get him off of her, she head butted the vampire, which stunned him enough to stop his assault. This bought her enough time to slap him in the face hard and shove him off. He rolled away as Buffy scrambled to get the stake, bracing it against her chest pointing upward minutes before the vampire lunged angrily, landing on top of her impaling himself. He exploded into a cloud of dust. Buffy brushed some of the dust from her jacket and took a few breaths before standing up to compose herself.

“The next morning in the library, Buffy stood by the table concentrating on a target she set up against the railing of the stack level. She raised a knife and threw it. It glanced off the target and clinked as it hit the floor. Merrick arrived with his briefcase and a cup of coffee.

‘Merrick, something's wrong.’ Buffy said worriedly.

‘Wrong?’ Her watcher saw the target with a few knives stuck awkwardly into it. None of them were anywhere near the center. ‘Ah. Perhaps you shouldn't...’ Merrick began when Buffy threw another knife and missed, ‘...do that anymore.’

“Buffy pointed at the target, ‘On top of that, I got a bad case of the dizzies last night and almost let a vamp stake me. With my own stake! Merrick, what's going on here?’

‘Well, perhaps you've got the flu or something.’

‘No. No, I can't get sick. Mom’s going to take me to the ballet. We do it every year for my birthday. If I have to cancel, it's gonna break her heart.’ Buffy whined, knowing she would be more upset than her mother.

‘Well, just take it easy for forty-eight hours. Forego patrolling until you feel yourself again.’

“Buffy picked up a couple more knives from the table. ‘No, I just need to spend a little more time training.’ She threw one. This time it went very wild and broke one of the reading lamps. Though Merrick didn't see it, she knew he heard it when he flinched. ‘I'm gone!’ Buffy said as she turned to leave.

“Elsewhere in Sunnydale, there was an abandoned boardinghouse. Although there were a few wall lamps lit and a fire going in the fireplace, it was obvious that no one had lived there for years. Among the torn furniture was a man bricking shut one of the windows. Quentin Travers, a member of the Watcher's Council, observed his progress as another man came down the stairs.

“The Watcher’s Council was the organization that was in charge of the Slayer line. For centuries, the council kept watcher journals of slayer activities, records of notorious vampires, as well as other demons and books about spells and demon facts. They were also responsible for assigning watchers to individual slayers, training potential slayers and monitoring slayer skills.

‘How much longer, Hobson?’ Travers asked.

‘Five, maybe six hours, sir.’ Hobson replied.

“They slowly walked into the next room. ‘Once you finish, you and Blair can get some rest. But sleep in shifts.’ Travers and Hobson stopped and looked across the room at the tall wooden crate with a heavy lock on it. ‘The Slayer's preparation is nearly complete.’

“The next day after school Merrick was in the library carefully laying out some meditative crystals on the table, while Buffy sat and watched him. ‘I think we should start with the grounding crystal again.’ Merrick set the largest blue crystal in front of Buffy. ‘Now, look very carefully for the tiny flaw at its core.’

“Buffy concentrated on the crystal. At its center was a small stake-shaped flaw in an otherwise nearly clear blue crystal. Faint wind chimes could be heard as Buffy slowly went into a trance. Merrick leaned over the table to look Buffy in the eye. ‘Buffy?’

“Satisfied that she was caught in the crystal's thrall, he retrieved a small leather pouch from his briefcase. Inside the pouch was a hypodermic needle, full of clear yellow liquid and an alcohol-soaked gauze pad. Keeping a careful eye on Buffy, he took her arm, pushed up her sleeve and wiped the gauze pad on a spot near the inside of her elbow. He checked to be sure Buffy was still under and then stuck the needle into her arm. Slowly, he depressed the plunger and pulled it back out. Buffy didn’t bleed from the stick of the needle and she never stirred.

“Quickly, Merrick put everything away. Trying to be casual, he sat on the table and waved his hand between Buffy and the crystal. She shook her head coming out of the trance. ‘Oh, I’m sorry. Did I zone out on you? It's just... I guess I’m still nursing the flu.’

‘It's best to take care of that. Perhaps we should…’

“Buffy finished his sentence on an exhale. ‘...call it a night. Yeah, that's a good idea.’ She got up weakly and groaned as she walked out of the library. Merrick smiled to himself.”

As I listened to William describe Buffy’s loss of strength, I started to see parallels in the story with my life. Buffy losing her slayer powers was much like me losing my freedom, where suddenly I was trapped in a room by a person I loved and no longer able to control my own fate. I continued to think about this as William read on.

“Inside the abandoned boardinghouse, Quentin and Merrick shared a cup of tea. ‘You're having doubts.’ Quentin said to Merrick. ‘Cruciamentum is not easy... for Slayer or Watcher. But it's been done this way for a dozen centuries, whenever a Slayer turns sixteen. It's a time-honored rite of passage.’

‘It's an archaic exercise in cruelty. To lock her in this... tomb... weakened, defenseless. And to unleash that on her.’ Merrick stared at the crate in the other room for a long moment before turning back to Quentin. ‘If any one of the Council still had actual contact with a Slayer, they would see, but I'm the one in the thick of it.’

‘Which is why you're not qualified to make this decision, you're too close.’ Quentin countered firmly. ‘A Slayer is not just physical prowess. She must have cunning, imagination, a confidence derived from self-reliance. And believe me, once this is all over, your Buffy will be stronger for it.’

‘Or she'll be dead for it.’ Merrick said wearily while cleaning his glasses.

‘If this girl is everything you say, then you've nothing to worry about.’ Quentin challenged.”

Again, I started to identify parts of the story to mom’s situation. Like Merrick, she was being told by an authority figure that something unseemly was the right thing to do. Maybe mom had as many doubts as I did about hiding her children away, but she was going along with grandmother because she was being pressured and had no other choice.

With these new thoughts going through my mind, I glanced over at mother and saw her with an arm clutched around Dawn, listening to Will intently as he described the insane pill-popping vampire named Kralik inside the crate. Mom tightened her hold on Dawn as she heard about the vampire fooling Blair enough to turn the council member into a vampire himself, which led him to kill Hobson and release Kralik from captivity. While she listened to the story, mom looked like she used to when listening to Will talk about Cecily or watching a cartoon with the twins. Maybe she was a pawn in this plan as much as we were. My thoughts snapped back to the story when the Spike character was mentioned.

“Buffy walked into Spike’s crypt. ‘What are you doing here? I thought I was patrolling for you while you went to the ballet with Joyce for your birthday. Can’t you forget about your calling for one night to enjoy yourself?’

‘Uh, it's just suddenly there's this chance that my calling's a wrong number, and... it's just freaking me out a little.’ Buffy explained her lack of strength to Spike, the one person who would probably understand her predicament because of his chip. ‘What if I’ve lost my power?’

‘You lived a long time without it. You can do it again.’ Spike shrugged.

‘I guess. But what if I can't? I've seen too much. I know what goes bump in the night. Not being able to fight it... What if I just hide under my bed, all scared and helpless? Or what if I just become pathetic? Talking people's ears off about my glory days, showing them Mr. Pointy, the stake I had bronzed.’ Buffy was in full on self pity mode when she sat down in his only comfy chair.

“Spike laughed heartily. ‘Buffy, you could never be helpless or boring, not even if you tried.’

“Buffy raised her eyebrows in question. ‘Don’t be so sure. Before I was the Slayer, I was... Well, I don't wanna say shallow, but... Let's say a certain person, who will remain nameless, we'll just call her Spordelia, looked like a classical philosopher next to me. Spike, if I'm not the Slayer, what do I do? What do I have to offer? Why would anyone like me?’

‘Buffy, you’re the strongest girl I know and it has nothing to do with your powers. It’s how you always try and never give up. It’s your kindness and your heart. I mean, I was your sworn enemy and you still helped me when I needed it, because you knew it wasn’t fair what those soldiers did to me. You’re challenging and stubborn and never stop surprising me. I’m honored to know you with or without your powers. Now stop worrying and go have fun with your mother, otherwise I’ll have to get you an actual birthday present.’ Spike was obviously done with his pep talk.

‘We wouldn’t want that, now would we?’ Buffy mumbled as Spike ushered her out the door. “

As he finished this exchange, William looked up at me and flashed one of his charming smiles. The sincerity in his eyes told me that those were his true feelings about me, that he really did think I was strong and kind. He made me feel so proud of myself and I was so sure now that, no matter what happened with our current predicament, he and I would get through this together because we had each other. I returned his smile and he went back to the story, describing the gruesome scene Merrick encountered when he returned to the boardinghouse to stop the ritual, Buffy’s encounter with Kralik on her walk home and her escape from the newly turned Blair.

“Merrick opened the car door as Blair was running toward them, ‘Hurry, get in!’

‘Merrick what’s wrong with me? When I hit that vampire, it felt like my arm was broken, it hurt so much. I can't be just a person. I can't be helpless like that. Please, we have to figure out what's happening.’ Buffy was completely distraught, shaking and crying.

“Seeing his charge in such an unraveled state broke Merrick. He let out a deep sigh and held the syringe that he used earlier out to her. In a shaky voice, he explained: ‘It's an organic compound... of muscle relaxants and adrenal suppressers. The effect is temporary. You'll be yourself again in a few days.’

“Buffy couldn't believe her ears or eyes. She reached out to touch the needle. ‘You? You did this to me?’

‘It's a test, Buffy. It's given to the Slayer once she reaches her sixteenth birthday.’ Merrick swallowed hard as he continued. ‘The Slayer is disabled and then entrapped with a vampire foe whom she must defeat in order to pass the test. The vampire you were to face... has escaped. His name is Zackary Kralik. As a mortal, he murdered and tortured more than a dozen women before he was committed to an asylum for the criminally insane. When a vamp...’

“Buffy interrupted him with an angry sob, ‘All this time, you saw what it was doing to me. All this time, and you didn't say a word!’

‘In matters of tradition and protocol, I must answer to the Council. My role in this... was very specific. I was to administer the injections and to direct you to the old boardinghouse on Prescott Lane.’ Merrick said, trying to defend his actions.

“Buffy ran her hands through her hair in disbelief of this betrayal. Shaking her head, Buffy cried, ‘I can’t hear this. How could you do this to me?’

‘Buffy, please. I am deeply sorry, and you have to understand...’ he pleaded while reaching out to her.

“She backed away and warned him off with her hand. ‘If you touch me, I'll kill you.’

“Merrick lowered his hand and implored his slayer, ‘You have to listen to me. Because I've told you this, the test is invalidated. You will be safe now, I promise you. Whatever I have to do to deal with Kralik... and to win back your trust...’

“Buffy interrupted, sobbing ‘You stuck a needle in me. You poisoned me! How can I ever trust you?’ As the car stopped at a red light, Buffy jumped out of the car and ran home away from her watcher.

“When Buffy arrived home, her mother was not waiting for her as she expected. Taped to the doorframe was a Polaroid photo, which she pulled down to look at. The photo was of her mother with Kralik behind her holding her by the neck, sprawled at the bottom was the word ‘come’.

“Despite her weakened condition, Buffy would not let anything happen to someone she loved. She grabbed a leather bag and began loading it with a crossbow, several stakes, a knife and bottles of holy water, slipping one bottle into the pocket of her overalls. Strapping the too heavy bag over her shoulder, she stalked out of her house determined to save her mother from the monster Merrick had brought upon them.”

At this point in the story, mom grabbed my hand and squeezed it. She looked over and smiled at me lovingly. I assumed she was happy that I would go rescue her from the monster, but little did she know that I had put her into the role of Merrick and was currently wrestling with some serious trust issues. Seeing the love on her face, I did not correct her assumption, but just smiled back. She continued to hold tight to my hand as Will described Joyce being held captive by the vampire, Buffy’s return to the boardinghouse to begin her rescue and Merrick and Quentin’s heated exchange about the continuation of the ritual.

“Back at the boardinghouse, Buffy slowly moved back into the foyer. As she tried to open a locked door, Blair came up behind her and growled. Buffy spun around and aimed the crossbow at him. She pulled the trigger, but the bolt sailed right past his face. Blair easily grabbed the bow, jerking it out of her hands and throwing it down. He grabbed her by the throat and began to choke her. Resorting to fighting like a girl, Buffy latched onto his arm and stomped on his foot until the vampire let go of her. She ran for her bag of weapons, but Blair reached for her before she could take anything out of it. Buffy jumped aside and ran to the bookcase. As Blair approached, Buffy put all of her weight into pushing over the bookcase which landed on top of her pursuer. Pinned beneath the bookcase, Buffy scrambled away while Blair struggled to lift the heavy piece of furniture.

“Buffy grabbed her bag and ran out of the room. She stopped in the hallway when she heard Kralik taunting her, ‘Hide and seeeek…’ She looked all around, but couldn’t see anyone. ‘Hide and seek!’

“The hall, the stairs and the adjacent room were empty. Then she saw the tall crate. The crate door was closed and looked locked. She approached it, and it suddenly swung open. Kralik jumped out and grabbed her by the throat. Buffy gasped in fright, but didn't struggle.

‘Why did you come to the dark of the woods?’ He yanked her bag out of her hands and dropped it, while he pulled her closer. Buffy surprised him by holding up a cross. He leapt back from her in fear. She held it out at arm's length, shaking nervously. Kralik stared at her for a while, smiling evilly, then suddenly grabbed her arm and pulled it and the cross into his chest, laughing as it burned his skin.

“Terrified, Buffy let go of the cross and ran into the kitchen as Kralik smiled, watching her go. Rifling through drawers to find a weapon, she came up empty. Her breath was shallow and panting with fear when she heard Kralik pounding on the kitchen door. As he punched through the door and got his arm in to unlock it, she noticed a garbage chute in one of the walls. Once Kralik entered the kitchen, Buffy leaped into the chute. Kralik heard her sliding down the chute, and staggered back the other way, knowing where she would end up.

“Buffy came sliding out of the chute and fell to the floor in a cloud of dust. The room was dark and she pulled the string attached to the light. She heard a whimper behind her and turned to see her mother tied to a chair and gagged. Buffy removed the gag, but could not get the ropes untied. ‘Buffy, we have to get out…that man…’

‘If you stray from the path, you will lose your way.’ Kralik reached out to grab Buffy from behind and brought her to him. She tried to push him away, but he was too strong. He bent down toward her neck, fangs at the ready, ‘Don’t worry, I won’t take it all.’

“She strained hard to keep him at bay. Suddenly Kralik grabbed his head and began to scream. Buffy tried to get past him, but he shoved her into the wall, stunning her. He pulled out his pill bottle and struggled to get it open. Buffy regained her head, grabbing the bottle out of his hands. She ran to another part of the basement.

‘No! No! No!’ He ran after her slowly due to the pain in his head. When Kralik reached her he demanded his pills. ’Where are they?’ Not responding, Buffy faked trying to get past him and up the stairs. He grabbed her before she could get past him and he saw the pill bottle in her hands. Snatching the bottle away, he struggled with the lid as he stumbled over to a glass of water near some wine racks. Popping a couple of pills, he gulped down the entire glass of water and gasped for air, taking several deep breaths as he began to calm down, knowing that the medicine would soon take effect. He smiled evilly over at Buffy and took some forced steps in her direction. Buffy just watched him come.

‘You don't seem to understand your place in all of this. Do you have any idea…’ Suddenly he realized something was very wrong and stopped in his tracks. ‘What have you…’ Kralik looked down at the glass in his hand and looked back up at Buffy.

“She pulled the now-empty bottle of Holy Water from her pocket and held it up for him to see. He dropped the glass and began to shake violently, grunting and groaning in pain. ‘No. No...’ Smoke began to puff out of his clothes.

“Buffy watched coolly as he began to disintegrate. ‘If I was at full Slayer power, I'd be punning right about now.’

“Kralik screamed loudly one final time, and then crumbled to ashes from the inside out. Buffy closed her eyes and let out a sigh of relief. She rushed over to her mother and began to work on the ropes again.

‘Buffy, thank God you're okay.’ Joyce said breathing heavily.

“Buffy strained to get the ropes loose, ‘I can't get these. They're too tight.’ She stood up to look for something to cut them with, when Blair suddenly lunged at her. However, Merrick was right behind him. Blair punched Merrick in the face and gut, but Merrick recovered by plunging a stake into Blair’s heart. Slowly, Merrick straightened up and stared Buffy in the eye for a long time.

“Quentin came out from the shadows, ‘Congratulations, you passed. You exhibited extraordinary courage and clear headedness in battle. The Council is very pleased.’

“Buffy deadpanned, ‘Do I get a gold star?’

‘I understand that you're upset,’ Quentin replied calmly.

Buffy started with controlled fury ‘You understand nothing. You set that monster loose, and he came after my mother.’

‘You think the test was unfair? We're not in the business of fair, Miss Summers, we're fighting a war.’

“Merrick challenged the Council head, ‘You’re waging a war. She's fighting it. There is a difference. The test is done. We're finished.’

‘Yes, well, congratulations again.’ Quentin said as he bowed slightly to Buffy.

“Buffy looked at him with a glare of hatred. ‘Bite me.’

“Quentin chuckled ruefully as he turned to go, ‘Colorful girl.’

“Merrick looked over at Buffy as she lifted her hand to her bleeding forehead. She sniffled a little before putting a Kleenex to the cut. Merrick walked over to her and took the bloodied tissue from her hand. He dipped it in some water and knelt down in front of her, to gently pat the gash. Trust slowly being rebuilt.

“The End.” William said looking up to us waiting for our reaction.

“Oh William, that was wonderful!” My mother clapped excitedly. “I can’t believe you are so talented.” She got up to hug him and then turned to me on the bed. “And Elizabeth, your brother must really think the world of you to base such a strong character on you. That Buffy isn’t just a tough cookie; she’s got brains to match. Just like you sweetheart.”

“Thanks, mom.” I said getting up from the bed. “Will, I loved it. Thank you for writing it for me.”

As we hugged, he whispered in my ear “I meant every word of Spike’s speech,” before kissing me on the cheek. I smiled at him as I felt warmth fill my heart.