Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry I didn't post last night - I got home late from work and pretty much fell asleep right after dinner. Thanks so much for your reviews - keep them coming! And thanks to Jess, my beta!
Chapter 22

The day of the holiday party, we got the same spiel from grandmother about not going into the attic that we did on Halloween. Since we actually weren’t planning anything for this night, we respected her wishes up to a point. We kept the kids downstairs playing a board game, while Will and I went upstairs to watch from the window. Dawn protested because she did not want to disobey grandmother, but we assured her that we wouldn’t do anything that would get us caught and that it was for our benefit. If we could see what was going on, then we could tell if the plan was being successful.

The manor grounds had been decorated for the Christmas holiday and looked stunning. Around each gaslight lantern along the driveway were white lights and a large wreath with a big red ribbon. The main gate had two large topiary trees with silver and red bows, doves and lights adorning them. There were two more similar trees outside the main door. The gate itself was decorated with lighted green garland with alternating red and silver bows. Even the fountain was decorated with wreaths and large lighted dove statues, which made it look like the birds were flying in to sit in the water.

In the soft glow of the Christmas tree lights, Will and I sat on the ledge of the window, his back to the wall and my back to his chest. I laid my head on his shoulder while he curled his arms around my waist. Drawing circles on his thighs, I sat and watched as Sunnydale society once again came to celebrate at Rayne Manor. Though the cars were the same, the attire was definitely not. Instead of the casualness of the Halloween costumes, people were dressed in high society formal wear. All of the men wore tuxes, while the women went all out in the latest of ball gown fashions. Sequin, silk, fur and taffeta were all wrapped around the women in one way or another. They all looked beautiful and I was jealous thinking of the Winter Ball I should have been attending at the high school.

Will grabbed my hand when he saw the familiar blue Bentley pull into the driveway. He entwined his fingers with mine as we watched Wesley emerge in his black tuxedo and white silk scarf. Before the valet even had the car out of the driveway, mother came rushing out of the front door to greet him. Wearing a red silk gown with a sweetheart neckline, she brought her white-gloved arms around Wesley’s neck and pulled him in for a kiss. Returning the kiss, he wrapped his arms around her and skimmed his fingers along her bare back before lifting her from the ground and spinning her in a tight hug. She laughed and laid her head on his shoulder as he placed her back on the ground. Taking her hand, he led her back into the house to enjoy the celebration.

“They look like they’re in love.” I said quietly to Will.

“Yeah, I guess the plan is working.” He said distantly. “Come on, I don’t want to watch anymore.” He picked me up off of him and led me back downstairs to the twins.

*****************************************************************

The next week leading up to Christmas went by quickly. We spent most of the time making homemade presents or finding previously undiscovered items in the attic that we could pass off as something new. Will spent most of his time drawing and writing with us helping out when he wanted. We even made gifts for mom holding on to the promise that she would be there for Christmas.

On Christmas Eve, we sat around upstairs in front of the tree while Will read us another Slayer story. This one was centered on Spike being haunted by The First Evil, who kept disguising himself as people that he killed in the past. Spike was tormented to the point where he was going to watch the sun come up, but Buffy came to stop him, reminding him of all the good he had done since he’d been chipped. In the end, a miracle occurred when it started snowing in sunny California, the overcast skies saving Spike from a fiery death.

Once the story was over, we hurried the twins off to get ready for bed. “Is Santa going to find us since we moved?” Connor asked.

“Of course he is. He’s Santa, he knows everything.” Will replied.

“Have we been good enough to get presents?” Dawn questioned. “Grandmother is always saying how bad we are, maybe Santa believes her.”

“Don’t be silly. Santa has his own list and he doesn’t take into consideration the ramblings of crazy people.” I said. “But, if you don’t get to bed soon, he may think differently.”

“Ok, we’re going.” Connor grumbled.

Later that night, Will and I put presents underneath the tree that were addressed from Santa. For Dawn, there was a beautiful music box that I found way back in one of the wardrobes and a model tall ship in a glass bottle for Connor which was found on a high shelf. It wasn’t a lot, but it would have to do. My only hope was that mother would come through for the twins with actual presents from the outside world.

**************************************************************

“Will, Elizabeth! Look! Santa came!” Dawn cried happily.

I awoke to see breakfast already served on the table and the serving cart filled with presents. “Well, come on. Let’s see what Santa brought then.” Will said as he got out of bed. I saw him grab a note that was on the table and he sat down as he began to read it. The twins were happily digging into the presents and didn’t pay him any attention. He folded up the note and looked up at me, his eyes did not conceal the hurt he was feeling. I got up and took the note from him, reading it for myself.

William –

I really wish I could be there to celebrate Christmas with you all, but Ethan has planned something special for me, him, mother and Wes. If I don’t go along with it, he will become suspicious and all our careful planning will be for not. I left presents for all of you and some for Dawn and Connor from Santa. I know you will make this a special Christmas for them despite me not being there as you have done a wonderful job with them these past months. Please explain to everyone why I can’t be there and remember that I love you all. I will see you as soon as I can.

Merry Christmas.

Love, Mom.


I crumbled the letter up in my hand and threw it at William in anger. He caught it and quickly disposed of it in the trashcan so Dawn and Connor would never see it. We stared at each other for a moment, both our minds racing with a million things we wanted to say, but couldn’t.

“Hey, aren’t you guys going to open your presents?” Connor interrupted the moment.

Will plastered a fake smile on his lips and turned to the twins. “Of course we are. Pass me up one so I can open it.”

We spent the day opening the gifts first downstairs and then up in the attic. Will explained to Dawn and Connor why mom couldn’t be there in a much rosier light than her note did and they seemed ok with it since they had new toys to distract them from her absence. Will and I did our best to stay upbeat throughout the day for the twins, playing with their gifts and enjoying ours as well.

It was a different story once they went to bed though. I had gone into the bathroom to get ready for bed and when I returned, Will was gone. I went up to the attic to find him standing with his head down and fists clenched in front of the tree, which still had the unopened presents to mom underneath it. “What are we going to do, Will?” I asked quietly.

“I don’t know, Beth. I can’t believe she would miss Christmas.” He turned to look at me and I could see tears running down his cheeks.

“Will, maybe we should start thinking of a way out of here.” I said as I approached him. “Without her.”

“How, Bethy?” He implored frantically. “There is no way out of here! There are bars on our windows and it’s a four floor drop from the attic. There’s one door that locks from the outside. How do you propose we get out?”

“I don’t know, but we have to start thinking of other alternatives. She didn’t show up today Will. You know that’s bad.”

“Even if we figured a way out, what would we do then? We have nowhere to go, no other family. You and I can’t raise Dawn and Connor on our own with no money, no family – we have nothing.” Will brought his hand up to pinch the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes in deep concentration. “We just need to give her more time.”

“Will, she said Christmas. It’s Christmas and she couldn’t even bother to show up.”

“No. She said Christmas, six months at the latest. That’s two more months. Besides, in the note she said she’d come as soon as she could. Maybe she’ll be by tomorrow. We need to give her more time.” He turned his pleading eyes on me. “Please, Elizabeth.”

“Will.” I said defeated, not knowing what to do. I knew he was right in that we were trapped. Even if we did manage to leave the manor, we had nowhere to go afterwards. He looked up at me and approached me slowly. Putting his hands on my waist and drawing me toward his body, he gave me a slight smile. “What are you doing?” I asked in a soft whisper.

“You’re standing under the mistletoe. Holiday tradition dictates that I kiss you.” He leaned in close and gave me a gentle kiss. His lips were soft against mine and they lingered a little longer than they probably should have. He leaned his forehead against mine and whispered, “Give her some more time, please. I promise we’ll figure something else out when we know for sure the plan is lost.” He gave me another soft kiss on my forehead and drew me in for a hug, coaxing me into agreement under his gentle touch. What else could I do as he held me so desperately in his arms?