Author's Chapter Notes:
Here's a little Valentine's Day gift for you all. Hope you enjoy!
CHAPTER 33

As soon as William went over the edge of the roof, I took some time to take in my surroundings. It seemed like Will had thought of everything. He was right that we were between two dormers so it did provide coverage in that you could stand on the roof and not really be noticed. In addition, the moon was bright but it was just cloudy enough that the glowing orb would peek in and out allowing us light but also covering us in darkness when the clouds moved. There was a slight wind that whipped around my body due to the altitude, but for the most part the night was still.

The corner that Will had picked out was at the back of the house so no one could see us from the street or the main gates. On three sides was nothing but thick woods. The yard was a huge expanse of grass and flowered shrubbery with a wooden shed at the left corner.

After taking a deep breath to calm my nerves, I crouched down low and moved over to the corner of the roof where the finial was located. I tested my grip on the rope and found that the gloves helped tremendously. Peering over the side, I realized that Will was just about half way down so I decided it was time to start my descent.

Maneuvering myself so that my legs were hanging off the roof while my stomach stayed on the slate, my sneaker soon located the first foothold tied into the rope. Gingerly moving my upper body over the ledge, I gripped the rope tightly as I found myself gently swaying in the air. Finding another knot with my hands this time, I let my feet slide down the rope until they also found the next knot. I continued on my way in this manner until I got about halfway down when the rope slackened a bit.

“Elizabeth.” I heard Will’s voice in a hushed tone below me. I looked down to see him standing on the ground at the bottom of the rope staring up at me. “Are you okay?” I nodded and saw Will looking around the area, taking in the surroundings and making sure no one had heard him.

I started my climb back down the rope until I heard a bark in the distance. Whipping my head around, I stilled my movement to see where it was coming from. Off to the left the shed door had opened and five dogs were rushing across the backyard in our direction.

“Up! Up! Elizabeth!” I heard Will say below me. Looking down again, I saw him grab onto the rope and start to scramble back up towards me. My arms reached up to the grip as I quickly switched directions on the rope. I could hear several barks now coming from the left of where we were. The dogs were fast and sleek, Dobermans ready to attack.

Will was still frantically climbing beneath me, trying to get his body high enough on the rope so he would be out of the reach of the dogs when they arrived. My muscles burned, but I kept climbing as fast as I could. I heard a growl right underneath us. “Get off me!” I heard Will say. One of the dogs had his pants leg between his teeth, its head shaking to try to make Will fall. For his part, Will was flailing his leg furiously trying to loosen the iron grip the dog had on his pants. Clutching the rope tightly with his arms, he brought his free leg out to kick the dog awkwardly in the face. A yelp escaped from the dog as his jaw opened allowing Will to carry on with his ascent. “Go!” He said snapping my body back into action.

“Hold them there for me, boys!” A deep, rough voice rang out in the night. Both Will and I snapped our heads around to see the groundskeeper cocking the barrel of a shotgun in front of the shed. The dogs continued to jump and bark on the ground under us as he moved closer to the disturbance. Not waiting another second, we began our way again to the roof.

Soon William was right behind me. “Come on, Beth. Faster! He’s half way across the yard. We can’t let him find us.” I knew we were hidden from his view due to the angle of the south section of the mansion, but that didn’t comfort me much.

As I wrapped my fingers around the eave, I felt Will’s hand on my behind helping to push me up and over the ledge. A sharp stinging pain shot through my right side near my ribcage as I rolled onto the roof, landing on my back panting hard. Will appeared a couple of seconds later and he tugged on the rope, bringing it up out of sight at a speed I didn’t think possible. As soon as the task was complete, he turned to me and I started to say something.

Before I could speak, his body was flush on top of mine. He clamped his palm down over my mouth and brought his finger up to his closed lips signaling me to be quiet. “What did ya find, boys? Where are they?” My eyes widened at the voice as Will stared at me, both of us breathing hard from the rush of adrenaline pulsing through our veins. “What’s this ya got? Must’ve fallen from the roof.” The dogs were still jumping around barking. “They up there? Probably more damn raccoons sniffing around like they did last summer. They’re startin’ early this year, huh boys? Come on, let’s go make the rounds.”

Will and I stayed frozen in our position for a few minutes, afraid that if we moved even an inch, we’d be caught. Finally, Will moved his hand away from my mouth and scurried on his stomach over to the ledge. Checking to make sure the coast was clear, he gathered up the rope and came back to me, helping me up. It wasn’t until we got through the window that someone spoke.

“Will, I think I’m hurt.” I clutched at my side as I stood shaky on my feet.

“What? Where?” He was immediately beside me feeling around for my injury. I lifted my hand revealing the bloody gash on my stomach. “Jesus Christ, Bethy. Come lay down.” He led me over to the mattresses and took off my gloves. “I’ll be right back.”

I kicked off my sneakers and moved higher up so my whole body was lying on top of the mattresses. I closed my eyes to ward off the pain while waiting for Will and in minutes I felt him return. Opening my eyes, I watched as Will knelt down above me. “Let me take off your shirt.” He said softly as his hands fluttered along my skin, lifting the fabric up my sides while I raised my arms so he could bring it over my head. Leaving me topless as he threw my shirt aside, Will opened the First Aid kit and swabbed some gauze with antiseptic. “This is probably going to sting, but I can’t see how deep the cut is until I clean the blood.” I drew in a breath as the cold liquid burned my skin, my nipples pebbled at the touch. “How did this happen?”

“When I went over the ledge, I think I caught a piece of the slate. It happened so fast.” I whispered out.

“Fuck, Bethy. It’s my fault; I shouldn’t have pushed you over like that. I didn’t mean to hurt you.” Will voice quivered as he spoke. Keeping his eyes concentrated on the wound, his hands were shaking as he cleaned it. “I was scared. He was so close I didn’t think we were going to make it.”

“It’s ok. I know you didn’t do it on purpose.” I gently rubbed at his arm reassuring him that I didn’t blame him. “I was scared too.”

He nodded accepting my forgiveness silently. “The cut isn’t that deep, but there are a couple of pieces of slate still in the skin, making it tender. I’ll take them out with the tweezers and then bandage you up. You should be fine though.”

I nodded bracing myself for the prodding that my body was about to go through. He took out the pieces with unsteady, but gentle hands. After cleaning the wound one more time, he put some anti-bacterial cream on the cut and covered it with gauze. Smoothing down the tape against my skin, his fingers traced the bandage before lightly traveling up along my ribcage, skimming the underside of my breast.

My breath hitched as his thumb brushed across my nipple. “I was so scared something terrible was going to happen. I couldn’t stand it if I lost you.” His watery eyes met mine as he continued to stroke the hardened nub.

“You’re not going to lose me, Will.” I said breathlessly, barely being able to concentrate from the feelings erupting within me from his feather light touch.

A lone tear escaped down his cheek. “Tell me to stop, Elizabeth.” He said barely above a whisper, his eyes were pleading with me to still his ministrations.

“Don’t call me that.” I whispered back to him, shaking my head. “I don’t want to be your sister right now.” I placed my hand over his, guiding it so it was cupping my breast.

My body raced with pleasure as he kneaded at my naked flesh. He leaned in towards me closing the gap between us. “Buffy…” escaped as a sigh from his lips right before they crashed into mine.