Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry this a few days late. Thanks to my new betas Megan & Andrea and thank you to everyone else who volunteered. I appreciate it.. Hope you enjoy!
CHAPTER 44

The next morning during breakfast, Will and I told the twins about how we got the key to work. Excitedly, Connor abandoned his cereal to jump up and down on the bed while Dawn started shooting off a million questions on when and how we were going to escape.

“Everybody calm down,” Will said as he tried to get Connor back to the breakfast table. “We have to make sure this works. This may be our only chance so we have to plan this perfectly.” Luckily, William was able to calm them down with his rational words. Will wanted to plan this escape attempt out thoroughly so that we would all get out unscathed, which meant we needed time.

Before we even tried to leave our room, Will thought we should make a duplicate key with the last remaining toothbrush so we would have another one just in case something happened with the first, whether that meant it was somehow broken or confiscated. Once the second key was perfected, Will practiced opening and re-locking the door over and over again so that there would be no fumbling getting in and out of the room. He even went out into the hall a few times to try and lock and unlock the door from the other side. The last thing we needed was to have to get back in fast and end up stuck in the hallway.

As the end of summer approached, Will decided to lay out part of the plan. As we ate dinner, we listened to his ideas. “Next weekend is Labor Day. I think our first exploration of the house should happen then.”

It would mark our one-year anniversary at Rayne Manor.

“I figured that since it’s a holiday, there’s probably less staff in the house. I was thinking that it might be the reason Drusilla picked that time for us to arrive here. If she wanted to keep our presence here low-key, it would have been better if there weren’t the usual amount of people in the house.” His reasoning made sense to me.

“I’m hoping the only people that will be here are Drusilla, Ethan and Adam.”

“What about Mom?” I asked.

“If what she’s told us in the past is any indication, I’m going to assume she and Wesley will be off vacationing somewhere.” I snorted at that, but with a bit of a smile as I considered it an actual dig at Mom coming from William’s mouth.

Will glared at me before continuing. “After midnight, Elizabeth and I will go out and explore the floor we are on. We’ll come back here and write everything down. Each time we go out, we’ll do a different floor so we’ll eventually have a map of the whole house. When it’s time to actually escape, I don’t want any surprises so we should have multiple routes leaving the house charted out beforehand.”

“What are we going to do while you’re out of the room?” Dawn asked.

“You will be asleep.” Will ruffled her hair. “It’ll be late, past your bedtime.”

“But what if grandmother or Adam comes by to do a room check or something?”

“Dawn, I don’t think they’ve ever done that before, but we can lock the door from the outside so if someone happens by and turns the knob, it’ll still be locked. We’ll throw some pillows under the covers to make it look like there are two people in the bed just in case they open the door. You guys will be fine.”

“Can we sleep in the same bed together while you guys are out there?” Connor finally piped in.

“Yeah, you guys can do that,” Will assured him. “Keep each other company while we’re gone.”

**************************************************************

On Sunday night of Labor Day weekend, we prepared for our first trip out into the house. We set up pillows in the bed closest to the door to make it look like there were two people sleeping, fluffing them until they were positioned to Dawn’s liking. After tucking Dawn and Connor into the far bed, Will and I found ourselves in the attic changing into the dark clothing we wore for our first escape attempt. Will was tying up his black shoe laces as he listed off orders to me.

“Stay with me at all times. Don’t wander off alone. Stay behind me so that if someone comes close I can warn you. Don’t go into any room without letting me know what you’re doing.”

I stopped him before he could continue. “I get it, Will. You’re in charge and I’m along for the ride. You don’t need to treat me like a child; I’m not seven, you know.” Listening to William made me feel like I was a little kid going to the mall for the first time.

“I’m sorry, Bethy. I just don’t want anything to happen to you. You know how I feel about what happened last time.”

And I did, which was the only reason I wasn’t chewing his head off now. I knew about the guilt that he still felt because of my getting hurt, so I knew he was only trying to protect me, not control me. “I know, but I’m not a paper doll. I can hold my own.”

“I’m well aware, sweetheart. You are a slayer after all.” He pulled me in close and kissed me, slow and deep. His hands moved down to grab my ass as he pushed me against his body, his kisses growing more fervent.

Breaking the kiss, I said, “Spike, we have to stop. We won’t leave if we start this now.”

“Ok, you’re right,” he agreed, kissing my neck one last time. “You know I can’t resist you though.” He smiled at me as he leaned in for another kiss.

“No,” I objected vehemently, pushing his lips back with my fingers. “Later for that. Explore now.”

“Fine, fine,” Will huffed as he looked at his watch. “It’s a quarter to midnight, might as well go now.”

We crept back downstairs to the bedroom, and while Will unlocked the door with the key, I checked on the twins one last time. Making sure they were deep in sleep, I found my way over to Will just as he was turning the doorknob. Sticking his head out slowly to make sure no one was in the hallway, he opened the door wide to let me out. I stood against the wall next to Will as he locked the door again from the outside.

After checking the knob to make sure it was locked, Will stood up and looked both ways down the hall. “Let’s go this way,” he whispered nodding to the right. “It should be the way to the main section since that’s how we came in originally.”

I nodded my head and grabbed his hand as we started our way throughout the house.

The hallway looked the same as when we first arrived - abandoned. In that dark wing of the manor, each door we tried was locked. As we got closer to the main section of the house, our surroundings changed dramatically. In addition to lights actually emitting a soft glow to illuminate the hallways, the area looked lived in. Gone were the storage cloths and cobwebs, and in their place was ornate furniture polished to the highest sheen.

The first couple of doors we tried here were also locked, but the third one softly clicked open. Inside was a huge library lined with dark mahogany wood. Carved into two walls were floor to ceiling bookshelves, most of them holding volumes of law books. I ran my fingers along their thick spines. Among the staid titles of California Anti-Trust Laws, Corporate Law and Intellectual Property Law were more menacing titles such as Winning Through Intimidation, How to Argue and Win Every Time and Social Control Through Law. This was definitely Ethan’s study and a small shudder ran through my body as I thought about how emotionally hard he must be, especially since he could so easily dismiss his only child and grandchildren.

“Damn it.” I turned my head at William’s hushed exclamation behind me. He was at the desk trying to jiggle open the drawers. As I came up next to him, he informed me, “All of these are locked. There might be something in one of them, like a copy of Ethan’s will. We’ll have to come back here another time, devote a night to it. Come on, let’s go to the next room.” As I listened to Will speak of future outings, I prayed that we didn’t get caught tonight so that there would be a next time.

Cautiously, we continued to work our way down the hall, discovering a bathroom, a sitting room and a guest room behind the doors. Entering the last door before the hall opened up at the dual marble staircase leading to the foyer downstairs, we stepped into another bedroom. Though it was empty, we could tell it wasn’t a guest room since it was clearly lived in. The four poster bed was unkempt, as if the satin covers were just pulled up haphazardly without actually being made, and there were clothes strewn about different areas of the room. A black lace nightgown lay over the Victorian chair in the corner and nylons hung from an open dresser drawer.

While Will went over to inspect the night table, I was drawn to the nylons peeking out from the dresser. Running my hands against the silken fabric, I realized that I missed wearing these hated pieces of clothing, mostly because I only wore them when I was going out dancing or if there was a formal happening at the country club or the school. These nylons suddenly became the symbol of my lost teenage social life. Feeling cheated by mother for taking away the carefree innocence of my youth, I was more determined to find something that would help us escape the miserable existence we were currently living.

Opening the drawer a bit more, I found all sorts of lingerie. A very tiny black teddy with garters, a silken pink thong, a pair of red thigh high fishnets and tucked away in the back corner, a box of condoms. A big box of condoms. I sneaked a look over to Will and found that he was now rummaging inside the walk in closet. Grabbing the box, I lifted it out and looked inside. It was a box of twenty-four and by my quick count about five were missing. Would anyone miss a few more? Quickly so I wouldn’t change my mind, I took three out of the box and shoved them into the side of my sock since I didn’t have any pockets.

As I returned the box back to the drawer the way I found it, I glanced at the top of the dresser and noticed the jewelry box on top of it. The emerald necklace that my dad gave mom for her thirty-fifth birthday lay atop the wood. This was Mom’s room. I didn’t know why that surprised me since I doubted Drusilla and Ethan made use of the types of things I was finding inside the drawer, but it suddenly hit me all at once. “This is Mom’s,” I said in a choked whisper. “Will, this is Mom’s room.”

“Yeah, I know.” He admitted while coming up behind me. “I’ve been looking in the closet and recognized some of her clothes. What did you find?”

I pointed to the familiar necklace and started to push in the drawer to its original position as Will gently ran his hand over the piece of jewelry. Something white caught my eye in the drawer and my hand was impulsively drawn to it. I reached in and grabbed it, bringing out the long white instrument. “Oh god,” I hissed in shock as I switched on the device. At the low buzzing sound, Will’s attention was fully averted over to me. “Please don’t tell me this is what I think it is.” I had never actually seen a vibrator before, though I knew what one was as some of the older girls on the cheerleading team compared notes about the different models they had, oftentimes joking that the mechanical device was more satisfying than any of the high school boys they slept with.

“Depends on what you think it is,” Will teased as he wrapped his arm around my waist and took the vibrator from me with his free hand. Our eyes met in the mirror as he brought the animated tool to touch the cotton covered area between my legs. I groaned at the feel of the vibrations buzzing over my clit as well as his hardening cock against my backside. My eyes screwed shut in pleasure as Will continued to work me over with the vibrator until we heard laughter in the hallway.

“Shit,” Will said in panic as he shut off the self-pleasuring device and placed it back into the partially opened drawer. As we heard voices getting closer to the door, my eyes were now wide open in horror, but my legs were frozen to their spot. “Come on,” Will whispered urgently as he was forced to drag me over to the closet, propping me up against the wall while he shut off the light inside. We listened to the door opening as he brought his body in flush against mine, trying his best to blend us into the woodwork.