Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm so sorry it has taken me this long to update. The good news is I started my new job so hopefully I'll be back to regular updates. Please review so I know you are still with me!
CHAPTER 46

I was dreaming.

The sun was warming my naked body as I lay on the white sands of a deserted beach. The sound of waves gently lapping at the earth filled me with an air of calm. I was alone and at peace with the world.

Suddenly, a man’s hand wrapped around my waist and started rubbing slow circles with his palm around my bellybutton. Although I couldn’t see his face, his touch was familiar. I closed my eyes listening to the ocean as his hand caressed up my body to massage my breast and then lazily made its way back down between my legs.

I moaned as his fingers explored my wet folds. My hips arched back, causing his erection to collide with my backside. The intimate contact caused an increase in the rhythm of his fingers, and we continued to move together both trying to find our release. Within minutes, we were both gasping for air as we quivered in completion. He nuzzled his face into my neck, smelling my hair as he whispered, “My sweet girl. Love you so much.”

He placed a gentle kiss on my shoulder and settled into a peaceful sleep while spooning my body. I was smiling in complete satisfaction, comfortable in the arms of my mysterious lover.


***************************************************************

The sound of a door slamming woke me from my slumber. Jumping into an upright position, any tiredness my body felt was replaced with fear. Grandmother was standing at the door with absolute fury in her eyes. Her lips were tightly pursed together and her cheeks began to redden in anger.

“What is going on here?” Dru yelled, looking pointedly between the two beds.

It was then that I realized Will was still in bed with me, sitting upright with a look of panic on his face. I glanced at the twins and noticed they were clutching each other on the second bed. They had obviously been awakened by the sound of the door as well.

Why are the boys and girls in the same bed together? That was the first rule of this house! I thought I made that clear to you after your escapades on New Year’s Eve.” Dru was screaming in a voice so menacing that I knew we were going to be severely punished again. After all, this was our second offense of this particular rule. If the first one ended in starvation, I imagined it would be the whip for all of us this time around.

As if she was reading my thoughts, Dru screeched, “Why do you forsake me and my rules? Do you like being punished? Did you enjoy the whip that much, William?” Her face was hardened in an icy stare at Will.

“N-n-no,” Will stuttered as he went on with an explanation for our compromising positions, “Dawn had a nightmare. She wanted to be close to Connor because she was scared. She wouldn’t calm down until she was with him. They’re twins; they have that special bond, a sort of connection, since they were in the womb together.”

Dru’s eyes glared sharply over at the huddled forms of the twins, and then back to us. “And you William, do you have a special bond with your sister?” I tried to swallow the lump in my throat because she said this as if she knew what we did at night in the attic.

“Yes,” Will said defiantly. “Our father has died and our mother has left us alone to fend for ourselves against the likes of you. We are trying to keep our family together through all of it. So yes, I have a special bond with my sister.”

“What a touching speech, William. It’s clear you care greatly about Elizabeth and you make it seem so innocent, but do you want to know what I think.” Grandmother planted a sadistic smile on her face, “I think that the Devil has planted seeds of temptation in your loins. I think that you want her in a not-so-brotherly way. Why else would you be wrapped around her in bed, your face buried in her hair?”

Shit, I thought. Is that how she found us? No wonder she looked like steam was going to blow from her ears at any minute.

“I was asleep.” Will shrugged, getting out of the bed. Thank god he was wearing shorts and a t-shirt. “I mean, what do you expect? You stick the four of us in this tiny room, but you don’t want us to go near each other. We have nowhere to go except for three rooms; we are stuck with only each other day in and day out. We’re not allowed outside, not allowed to have other friends. How are we supposed to be imprisoned within these walls and not be dependent upon each other for everything?”

Will was moving closer to Dru with each word that rolled off his tongue. “And do you want to know what I think. I think you want to catch us doing something because you are a sick and depraved woman who gets off on abusing people who you perceive as weaker than you.” Will was nose to nose with grandmother at this point, glaring at her with such hatred that I knew he was about to say something we may all regret. “What’s the matter, Grandmother? Is your husband too controlling? Does he not let you make any of the important decisions? You gotta get your kicks by stripping me down and beating me senseless with a whip to let out your inner-dominatrix?”

Then all hell broke loose.

Dru’s hand came up to sharply slap Will across the face. Will’s head snapped to the side, provoking Connor to jump off the bed to run to his brother’s aid. Crouching to the floor, Connor grabbed Dru’s ankle and bit down into her flesh. She screamed in agony, shaking her leg to remove the tiny teeth piercing her skin. With a quick kick, Connor was flung to the side and Dru raised her hand to strike him. Will grabbed her wrist to stop her and she spun to look at him in a rage, raising her other hand to hit William.

Needing to stop this turn of events, I reached for the small water glass sitting on the nightstand and threw it against the wall. When the glass shattered right behind Will and Dru’s heads, everyone stopped to look at me. “Stop it!” I yelled with an authority I didn’t feel as I was trembling inside. At the sound of my command, Connor scrambled over to cower behind my legs. Will let go of Dru and took a step away from her as she began to calmly fix her disheveled clothing.

“You are all ungrateful children. Understand that your mother had nowhere to go and I took her in; took you in. I could have easily left her and you to rot, but I didn’t. I have given you a roof over your heads, three meals a day and this is what I get in return. Disrespect from all of you!” She pointed an accusing finger at us and then turned to focus her ire on Will. “You consistently break my rules – lying to me, being in the bathroom while your sister is washing and now sleeping together, sniffing at her golden locks. You can call it dependency all you want, but I call it sin.” Her last word was dripping with malice. She straightened her shoulders and held her chin up high before turning around to walk out the door.

Breaking the silence that was left in the wake of Dru’s abrupt departure, Dawn asked in confusion, “That was it? She’s not going to do anything to punish us?”

“Maybe she knows now that we’ll all gang up on her at once if she tries anything.” Will shrugged. “Maybe we just needed to stand up to her to get her to stop.”

I did not share in Will’s confidence that we had seen the last of grandmother. She caught us in bed together, Will completely disrespected her, and Connor bit her, for God’s sake! This was huge; even I thought we deserved some kind of retribution. I stayed silent for the time being as I didn’t want to upset the twins more than they already had been this morning, but I planned on bringing the subject up again with Will later on.

“Why didn’t you guys move us when you came in last night?” Connor asked, moving over to the breakfast cart that Dru left untouched by the door.

“We got back in really late. We didn’t want to wake you, so we figured we’d let you keep sleeping and you’d wake us up in time for breakfast.” I noticed that Will was getting really good with his cover stories. It seemed he always had a logical answer for every question someone asked to hide what we were really doing. “How come you didn’t wake up this morning at your normal time?”

Dawn joined Connor and started helping him put breakfast out on the table. “I woke up sometime in the night. You were already gone, so I woke up Connor to keep me company. We stayed up for a while waiting for you to return, but we fell asleep.”

“Then I woke up because I heard a noise and thought you came back, but you still weren’t here. That time, I woke up Dawn so we could wait together. We must have fallen asleep again before you came back,” Connor finished.

I had a feeling that the noise Connor heard was actually us up in the attic. Something else I was going to have to discuss with Will later on.

“Well, that explains why you overslept. So did you guys get any sleep last night?” Will asked.

“Some, just not a whole lot. But who cares about that. What happened last night out there? Did you find anything?” Dawn questioned anxiously.

“Not much since it was our first time, but we definitely found some stuff we’ll need to take a closer look at next time.” Will continued to tell the twins about what we found, which rooms we explored and a more G-rated version of our encounter with Mom. He sketched out a brief map of the different places we went and made notes about what we needed to check out more closely - the desk in the study being one of the hot areas. Dawn and Connor continued to grill us about every little aspect of our trip for the rest of the day.

Since the twins were so tired from their lack of sleep the night before, they went to bed earlier than usual, giving me the chance to ask Will what he really thought about Grandmother and our seeming escape from punishment. “You honestly think Dru’s not going to come back to punish us for this morning’s drama? I mean it was bad, really bad.”

“I know, but don’t you think she would have done it by now? She usually likes to punish us while the crime is still fresh. She never even came back today.”

“Well, maybe it’s because we caught her by surprise. We wounded her pride, stomped on her dignity. Connor went after her as if she was the Wicked Witch of the West and he was Toto. That’s got to be humiliating.”

Will laughed. “Looking back, that was pretty funny. I don’t know what Connor was thinking when he decided to bite her.”

“Maybe it was the werewolf coming out in him.” Mimicking taking a bite, I chomped down on my teeth next to his ear.

“Cute,” Will gave me a sideways glance and rolled his eyes in response to my reference of Connor’s comic book alter-ego. “Maybe she’s embarrassed about the whole thing and just wants to forget it. We’ll be on guard for a while to see if she does anything. Otherwise, let’s just chalk it up to getting away with something.”

“My gut is telling me she’s going to hit back and hit back hard, sometime when we don’t expect it. We really need to stay alert.” I did not have a good feeling about this at all. “Oh, and we need to be more quiet in the attic. I think Connor woke up the second time because of us. We really don’t need one of them coming upstairs at an inopportune time.”

“Hey, it’s not my fault you’re a screamer.” Will leaned over to plant a kiss on my lips. “Maybe I need to start gagging you.” He whispered, arching his eyebrow to see if I was into his games of bondage.

“You are such a pervert.” I grabbed his shirt to bring him in for another kiss.

*************************************************************************

After the incident at breakfast, Adam served all three of our meals, never explaining grandmother’s absence. We were cautious every time the door opened at mealtime, expecting her to appear with some brutal punishment worked out for us. We waited on guard for her every day, but nothing changed. She just stopped coming by.

Three weeks into September, Dru resumed her morning visits. I wished she hadn’t. She would enter the room and set up breakfast on the table, all in complete silence. She never said a word. It was just weird and uncomfortable. Even stranger, she still didn’t do anything to punish us.

Dru was still giving us the silent treatment when the first of October rolled around. I was sitting Indian style on the bed brushing my hair when she finally spoke. Just before she left, Dru smiled at me, laughing. “No more sunshine for you, Goldilocks.”

My hand stopping mid-brush after the cryptic remark, I watched as she swept out of the room. “What do you think she meant by that?”

“I don’t know, but I think we should keep an eye on her again for awhile.” He looked at me with worry as I nodded my head in agreement.

For two days as she served breakfast, I took extra care to stay as far away from Dru as possible, standing behind the second bed with the twins blocking me.

I thought I was safe.

It was on the third morning that I found out that I wasn’t.