Author's Chapter Notes:
Hi all! I'm sorry it's taken me so long to get this out. I went away for a while over the holidays and then work has been crazy this month, leaving me with little time to write. Although I can't promise you when the next chapter will come out, I can promise you that I'm not abandoning the fic. It may take me a while, but I'm definitely finishing it. I haven't put in the time to write 55 chapters to stop now.

This isn't beta'd so I apologize in advance for any mistakes. Please review so I know you are still around! Thanks so much for your patience.
CHAPTER 55

The weeks leading up to Christmas went by uneventfully.

Although we were curious about finding information on whom Robert was, Will decided he wasn’t going to go back out into the house until after the holidays. The scare from our encounter with Ethan in his bedroom was enough to make William think we should take a break with the journeys out of our room. Especially since we weren’t sure if Dru suspected that we were the cause of his outburst that night. Although she didn’t act any different, we did notice that there were more footsteps outside in the hallway than usual, as if someone was patrolling the corridor to make sure we didn’t suddenly open the door.

With Christmas coming, the four of us decorated the attic and our room again, pulling out the boxes we found last year with the plastic tree and other decorations. Will and I scoured the attic for more gifts that we could give to the twins from Santa Claus, finding a few items that could pass as decent presents for Connor and Dawn. We encouraged the kids to make homemade presents for each other and us, and they spent most of their days drawing or doing craft projects while listening to the wind howl against the windows of the attic.

Mother had returned from her trip to London right before the holiday party held at Rayne Manor, which we only found out about because we saw her exiting the limo one afternoon with luggage from out the attic window. After her speech at Halloween, nobody was fooling themselves into thinking that she would come to visit us on Christmas morning or even leave us any presents like last year. We all knew we were spending the holiday with only each other again this year.

But on Christmas morning we were surprised to see gifts waiting for us by the dining cart along with breakfast. I looked at Will for an explanation, but he just shook his head and shrugged his shoulders, indicating that he had no idea who was behind the presents either. Unlike last year, there wasn’t a note of forgiveness from Mom and all of the gifts were addressed from Santa.

As we spent the morning opening gifts, I realized that Mom didn’t buy them. Despite not being around us for several months, the presents were more personal last year – she still knew our tastes in music, clothes and games. This year, the gifts were different – nice, but impersonal, as if someone just went to the store and asked what the latest trends were for children our ages.

It couldn’t have been grandmother since she clearly didn’t give a crap whether we had a happy Christmas or not, seeing as though she was the one that thought it was a good idea to imprison us in this room. So when Adam came in to collect the breakfast plates and asked if we enjoyed the gifts from Santa, I knew it had to have been him.

Dawn and Connor went on and on about the gifts they got and how grateful they were that Santa didn’t forget them this year again. Adam had a shy, concealed smile on his face the whole time as he listened to them while clearing the dishes.

Before he could leave the room, I grabbed his arm, “Thank you.” I whispered to him with an appreciative look in my eye. “You made their day, maybe even their year.”

“Merry Christmas,” he nodded and walked quickly out the door before he could show any emotion.

*********************************************************************

The New Year approached as William and I sat up in the attic drinking another bottle of wine and talking about the year just passed. The kids had been in bed for a while, and we were comfortably discussing all that had happened this year and making some resolutions for the year to come.

“Well, I think it’s safe to say that the main resolution of the New Year is to get out of here.” I said, while Will nodded his head in agreement.

“I’ll second that. The sooner the better, but we need to get more money first. I’d like to have at least a thousand dollars before we leave - maybe even more if we can pawn some of mom’s jewelry when we get out. We’re going to have to find a place to live, and we’ll need rent to start.” Will replied, thinking ahead to our escape. “I think we’ll be fine with food for a while since we can take what we have stashed under the bed.”

“Then we’ll just need to get jobs. How exactly are we going to do that?” I asked, flopping down on my back in defeat. We were two teenagers without a high school diploma, no parents and two children to support. I didn’t think people would be jumping to hire us.

Will looked down at me with a tender gaze. “Don’t get all pessimistic on me. There are people that let their employees work under the table or we can find someone to doctor up fake papers for us. That happens all the time. We’ll figure it out.” His fingers danced gently down my cheek. “The main thing is we get out.”

“Yeah, you’re right.” I said on a sigh. Although I was anxious to leave Rayne Manor, I was nervous as to how we were going to survive once we got out, but I knew Will wouldn’t give up and he would do everything in his power to make it work. “What kind of job would you want to get?” I asked him, curious as to what kind of life he thought we could have.

Shrugging his shoulders, he replied “I don’t know, maybe something like McDonald’s or as a waiter at some restaurant. I think you can make more money waiting tables, plus they would have more flexible hours so I could work around yours and the twins’ schedule.”

I watched as Will took another sip from the wine bottle and realized how much he had sacrificed since we came here. He stepped in as father to the twins at age sixteen and was considering a job at a fast food restaurant to support us even though he was thinking about Ivy League colleges a little more than a year ago. God, he should be in his first year of college by now. “If things hadn’t turned out how they did, what would you have wanted to be?”

“What are you talking about?” he asked, confused as to where the question was coming from.

“I’m talking about your hopes and dreams before dad died.” I took the wine bottle from him, taking a sip before setting it aside. Although our family was close, Will and I never had deep conversations about life and the universe since we were also brother and sister in different social groups. Positioning myself in front of him now, I felt like I wanted to know more about the person he would have been had we never came to Rayne Manor. “Where would you have gone to college? What career path were you thinking of taking?”

“Jesus, Elizabeth. What brought this on?” Will started to pull away, but I reached out to grab his hand, keeping him seated in front of me.

I wasn’t sure if he was just uncomfortable with my sudden interest or regretful that he would never realize those dreams. “No, don’t leave. We never really had these discussions when we lived in LA. I want to know about you, Will. Please.”

He looked up into my eyes and must have seen the sincerity in them because he took a deep breath and started to answer my question with a shrug of his shoulder. “I was never really sure. I wanted to go to Harvard, but I didn’t think I would actually get in. I mean, I had close to perfect grades, but it’s really hard to get in to a school like that.” Will had turned his hand, so he was now holding mine, his thumb stroking random patterns on the backside of my hand. “Plus, I wasn’t too keen about being all the way across the country away from you guys. I was afraid I would be forgotten from the family – like once I was gone, I would miss out on all kinds of life events that no one would think to tell me about. You know, just little things, like Dawn’s ballet recitals or Connor making the game-winning out at a baseball game.”

“That wouldn’t have happened. We wouldn’t have forgotten about you.”

“Yeah, probably not, but I still would have been three thousand miles away. So I thought I would be better off going somewhere like UCLA. Somewhere close, plus it has a great medical school.”

“You wanted to be a doctor?” I was startled at this revelation as Will never gave any indication of this.

“Well, I wasn’t really sure what I wanted to do so I thought I’d follow in Dad’s footsteps and be a doctor, but not obstetrics, maybe some kind of surgeon. He was just always doing so much good for people and I thought that I wanted to do something noble like that.”

“Huh, I wouldn’t have guessed that’s what you wanted to do with your life.”

He shrugged again. “It wasn’t my first choice. I really wanted to be a writer, but as you were always so quick to point out, my poetry sucks.” He smiled at me, letting me know he was just teasing me.

I shook my head to correct him. “Your poetry might have sucked, but your writing is wonderful. I’ve never been anything but encouraging with the ‘Buffy’ stories. I think you just needed to switch genres.”

Will beamed at me when I told him this. “You really think so?”

I smiled back through my reply. “I know so. Your imagination has created this whole other vibrant world with characters that are emotionally complex and feel like real people.”

“Thanks, though you may be bias since the heroine is based on you. But I guess the stories are one good thing that came out of this whole ordeal then.” He grabbed at my leg and gave it a squeeze. “What about you? What did you want to do?”

“No clue. I definitely didn’t have the grades that you did and the only thing I put any effort into was cheerleading.”

“What about dancing?” Will asked as his hand unconsciously massaged my thigh.

“Oh, I loved that, but I never really thought I could make a career out of it. I mean there is only so much you can do with dancing.”

“I think you’re selling yourself short. I mean there’s the stage and theatre, traveling troupes, music videos, movies, the occasional ‘Fame’-like television show.”

“Yeah, but you have to be really, really good to do those types of things.”

“What makes you think you aren’t really, really good? We’ve been here for over a year and you’re still practicing almost everyday – you’re obviously dedicated to it. Maybe when we get out of here, you could become a dance instructor to little kids while trying to become a professional.”

“I don’t know. I haven’t had any professional training in over a year and my body is way too skinny now. I’ve lost most of my muscle tone.”

“Oh, I don’t know about that.” Will grabbed my legs and dragged me up to his body, my legs on either side of his hips. His hands were running up and down my legs slowly from my knees then up to my hips. “I think you’re body is beautiful.” Will grabbed the top of my baggy pants, dragging them off of me. Exposed before him, he grabbed one of my legs and brought it up to his shoulder. He placed soft kisses on my ankle and up my calf as he continued, “And I know you’re very flexible. I can bend you in all sorts of ways.” Proving his point, he left my leg on his shoulder as he leaned over to kiss my stomach, lifting my shirt up over my breasts in the process.

I closed my eyes in pleasure as he massaged my breasts and kissed his way back up along my inner thigh. “I picked our position for tonight,” I said huskily, deciding to continue in the direction of the more deviant festivities of the evening.

He shook his head in disagreement against my skin before pulling away. “Uh, uh, not tonight. No position.” He lifted his shirt over his head and then started on his pants. Noticing the confused look on my face at his denial of our holiday tradition, he continued with an explanation. “It’s our anniversary.” He took a couple of condoms out of his pants pocket before tossing them aside.

Stretching his naked body on top of mine, he lifted my shirt the rest of the way over my head before taking my lips in his for a sweet kiss. “It was a year ago tonight that we first kissed so it’s like our first year anniversary.” His lips worked their way down my neck to my collarbone with tiny kisses. “I want tonight to be special.” He whispered as he took an erect nipple into his mouth.

My breath hitched as his tongue slowly laved the hardened nub. When he began to gently suckle on it, electric tingles shot straight to my core.

Pulling away, his kisses traveled lower down my body over my torso. “I want to worship every inch of your body so I can show you how beautiful it is, how much I love pleasuring you.” His tongue darted along the wet walls of my pussy before thrusting inside my center. His fingers quickly found my clit and he expertly brought my body to orgasm within minutes.

Getting to his knees, he rolled one of the condoms over his protruding cock and slid into me before I could recover from the heights he had just taken me to. His hips pumped in an excruciatingly slow rhythm as he murmured against my ear, “I want to show you how much I love being inside you, how much I love being with you.”

My responsive skin pebbled as his hands wandered sensually over my entire body. My hips arched into his as he hit a particularly sensitive spot inside me.

The clock drew nearer to midnight as he played my body like a finely tuned instrument, knowing every note to the seductive song. Pushing me to the brink of ecstasy before pulling me back to prolong our pleasure, my eyes shut in a hazy bliss as I realized what he had been doing to me all night.

William was making love to me soundly.

He was showing me with his body what he couldn’t tell me with words. Everything he was doing tonight – the tender touch of his hands, the steady cadence of his thrusts, the sweet nothings spoken on a sigh – exuded love, adoration and devotion.

I had never felt so protected, emotionally moved and whole-heartedly beloved before. Staving off my joy-filled tears, I held his body tighter, digging my fingers into the muscles of his back to bring him as close to me as I felt to him. I shifted my thighs to grasp him firmly at his hips, driving him deeper inside me. Crying out together as we crested over the edge of an explosive orgasm, I could feel how much Will loved me as his body trembled in completion, his member pulsing inside me.

And although I could never admit it to him, I couldn’t lie to myself any longer. I knew without a doubt that I loved him too. Not as a brother, but as a man, a partner, and a soul mate.