Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all those who have reviewed, please keep them coming!! As usual, thanks to Jess, my wonderful beta.
Chapter Nine

Soon after the story, we put Connor and Dawn to bed, who were exhausted from the night’s activities in the attic. Just as I expected, they were scared from Will’s story and whined to sleep together until we finally gave up, allowing them to sleep in the same bed as long as they were up and dressed before grandmother came to the room for breakfast. It would not be good for Dru to find out about the bed switch, not so much because of the twins, but because of Will and me. They promised to be up without any hassle in the morning, so we let them snuggle under the covers together.

Once the kids were in bed, Will and I climbed back up to the attic. We cleaned up some areas of the Halloween stations that we thought couldn’t wait until tomorrow and made sure all the candles were out. Will removed one of the blankets from the windows so we could watch what was going on outside while we sat in the dark with me leaning against his chest in one of the big windowsills.

From where we sat, we had a perfect view of the circular driveway. It was a little past ten so there was a lot of activity. The late arrivers were pulling up in their Porsches and BMWs, while the older crowd retired early into their Rolls Royces. We watched the people come and go, dressed up in a variety of costumes. There was a Rhett and Scarlet, a Raggedy Anne and Andy, a sheik and his harem girl and a Bonnie and Clyde. The costumes were elaborate, obviously not of the handmade variety that we wore here in the attic.

The Rayne’s must have invited just about every influential person in town. People were milling around outside for another two hours – sipping champagne, smoking cigarettes, stealing kisses. At some time just after midnight, I felt Will tense up behind me. I looked back at him and then followed his gaze to the woman dressed as Cleopatra near the fountain. She was beautiful in a long white flowing gown with a wide golden belt that hung down to her feet in the front. There was a thick gold necklace around her neck, while a band of gold beads circled around her head and intertwined in her straight black hair. Her lips were painted a bright red and her eyes were smoky, outlined in dark black eyeliner.

It was when I looked at her eyes that I knew why Will had tensed. This beautiful woman dressed as Cleopatra was our mother. The mother we hadn’t seen in more than a month. She looked so healthy and alive, her eyes shining with happiness. I guess her reintroduction into Sunnydale society had gone well. Will’s grip tightened a little bit more on my waist as we watched a man dressed as a Roman soldier, presumably Marc Antony, walk towards her. My mother’s grin became wider as he touched her cheek and brought his lips slowly down to hers. They shared a tender, tentative kiss, maybe the first they ever had together. It was over quickly as the soldier pulled away from mother with a shy smile, while his hand lingered a little longer on her cheek. The moment ended when a valet drove up in a blue Bentley and handed him the keys. He drove away while mother stood still staring after him with a look of infatuation on her face.

Will and I both noticed grandmother dressed as a nun watching the scene unfold with a small smirk on her face. Dru imperceptibly turned her head up towards the dark attic window almost as if she knew we were watching the activity below. Her smirk turned a bit more sadistic before she walked back into the house.

We had been sitting quietly together for over two hours, but I had to break the silence after witnessing that little scene between mother and the mystery man. “I guess we know why mom hasn’t been up to see us lately.” My voice was full of venom as I turned to look at William.

He stood up abruptly, pushing me off from against his chest. “Shut up, Elizabeth. I don’t want to talk about it.” With that he left me standing alone in the attic as he stormed down the stairs back to the bedroom.

After he had left the attic in a huff upon seeing mother with the Roman soldier, I gave him some time to cool off. Why he was taking his anger out on me, I couldn’t understand. I remained in the attic for a half hour more watching the people continue to leave the party. I never saw grandmother or mother again. When I finally left the attic, I made my way downstairs into my bed. Since Dawn and Connor were sleeping together due to our earlier adventures, William was sleeping there. His back was turned away from me and he was as far away as he could get to the middle of the bed. I figured this was because he was still mad from earlier. I had a feeling that he was just feigning sleep, but I decided not to push it. I laid down next to him, my back to him as well. I had stayed awake a while longer thinking about what we had seen, and I really did want to talk to him about it. Eventually, sleep took over.

********************************************

I woke up the next morning with an arm wrapped around my waist. Sometime during the night, William must have unintentionally moved closer to me. He was spooned up against my back and I could feel every inch of his body through our cotton pajamas. His erection was pressed to my backside and I could feel his warm breath tickle my neck. I guessed this was why one of grandmother’s rules was that we couldn’t sleep in the same bed.

I glanced at the clock and saw that it was only seven. Breakfast wouldn’t be served for another couple of hours, which meant we were still safe. A flash of shame passed through my mind when I thought that I was comfortable like this, sleeping in my brother’s embrace. I was upset last night when William yelled at me. It wasn’t fair. Mother was the one who hurt him, not me. We should have been comforting each other like we did during our father’s death, not pushing each other away. Well, I wasn’t the one pushing him away; he was the one doing that. So I shoved the grandmother-induced shame to the back of my head and relished in the comfort that his closeness gave me, even if he was unaware of it. Mother had some serious explaining to do next time we saw her.

Whenever that would be.

I stayed like that for a while, thinking about mother and getting more and more upset. I knew eventually I would have to approach William about it. We had to talk about it but he always took her side. That made me even angrier. Suddenly, I felt Will begin to stir and I froze. The hand that was around my waist began to move, sliding underneath my pajama top and onto my bare skin. His hips pushed forward and his erection rubbed firmly against my behind. He let out a low moan as he nuzzled his head deeper into my neck. Ok, this was getting a little ookie.

When his hand started to move further up my stomach toward my breast, I snapped out of my daze. I elbowed him in the stomach hard and he woke with a start. “Ow! What was that for?” He asked, looking down at me with a pissed off expression. Realizing his hand was under my shirt, he quickly snatched it away and looked down, embarrassed. Unable to meet my gaze, he mumbled, “Sorry, was dreamin’.” He got up with red cheeks and practically ran to the bathroom. I heard the shower start. Great, now he was mad and embarrassed. I sighed as I rolled over on my back and flung my arm over my eyes.