Author's Chapter Notes:
I hated the whole Immortal storyline, deal with it.
Chapter 19 AUCTION AT WRH

Christmas had been extra special for the Scoobies this year. They had gathered at Spike and Buffy's house for a gift exchange and a wonderful dinner. Joyce and Reggie did most of the labor intensive cooking, while the other couples brought other goodies. Giles kissed Serina under the mistletoe, and later they were caught eyeing each other. Buffy quite happily mentioned that she thought that the Watcher needed someone in his life.

What the others didn't know was that Willow had found herself attracted to Tara. In a private mental conversation with the absent Oz, the witch and the werewolf decided that they wanted to make a wolf pack within the clan. Oz had told Willow to keep it a secret until he got home, and gave her permission to court Tara in both of their names. Both were sure that Spike and Buffy wouldn't care, but at the moment both Willow and Oz wanted things to remain private.

Buffy glanced over at Spike. He was tapping his leg in time with the song pouring out of the radio. They were on their way to L.A. for the WRH auction of supernatural items from the Amara treasure. They were to meet Angel and the others at the Hyperion hotel. Cordelia's mental commentary of Harmony's antics were hilarious to the Slayer and her mate. It made Buffy wonder how Cordelia ever put up with the blond female in high school.

Buffy knew from the same chat with Cordelia that Angel had actually been at the Hyperion in the past. When the Slayer found out that he had abandoned a woman to a demon that inhabited the hotel, she felt like she knew the ensouled vampire less and less. It made her glad that she was now involved with Spike. He was straightforward, in your face, and let you know exactly how he felt and where you stood with him.
There was no hiding with him, no secrets and no second guessing. Buffy knew that somewhere inside her mate was the vampire who had rolled into town wishing for her death, but she also knew that his demon was also fiercely protective, loyal, and loving.

Spike and Buffy's arrival at the hotel was greeted by three welcoming individuals and one very pouty vampire. Buffy just rolled her eyes at Angel's mutterings. He was terribly upset that the others had outvoted him about moving into the Sultana owned hotel. With the five of them stuck in the little office he had rented before was getting on everyone's nerves. He just didn't want to admit it. Buffy and Cordelia went upstairs to look at dresses. Buffy had brought her red dress from Sunnydale, and Cordelia and Harmony had bought dresses at a posh boutique in downtown Los Angeles. Spike took Wesley and Doyle out for a drink, leaving Angel behind to answer the phones with Harmony.

Soon, it was time to get ready for the auction. The women donned their dresses. Buffy in red, Cordelia in black, and Harmony in hot pink. Buffy and Cordelia rolled their eyes at the mental complaints about the tuxes made by Spike and Doyle, but they both were pleasantly surprised at how good the guys looked all dressed up, even Angel. Spike had hired a limo to take them to the auction in style. As much as he loved the Desoto, it wasn't the kind of image they were trying to project for this event.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy circled the room slowly. Her Slayer senses were screaming at her to take out her stake to slay a few of the occupants. It was only the calming thoughts from the others of her clan that stayed her hand. However, she could feel Cordelia and Doyle taking note of the ones that bothered her the most. When Angel was cornered by one of the lawyers who didn't seem too happy to see the vampire, Cordelia and Doyle told her about their first official AI case.

"So, Angel." Lindsey McDonald looked the uneasy vampire over carefully. He snagged a glass of champagne off the tray of a passing waiter. "What brings you to our little corner of the world? You planning on throwing another Wolfram and Hart client out the window?"

"No," Angel grumbled irritability. "I'm here with the owners of the Amara treasure."

"Ah, they hired you as a guard, then," Lindsey fished for information. He took a sip of his drink.

"Gramps!" Spike greeted Angel with a hearty slap on the back. "Introduce me to your friend." He eyed the lawyer, taking in the handsome face and clean cut looks. Buffy said that of all the law firm employees, this one was the most ambiguous. He was ambitious, but there was still something human buried deep in his heart.

"He's no friend of mine," Angel grunted as he shrugged Spike's hand off his shoulder. "Spike, this is Lindsey McDonald. He's a lawyer here at Wolfram and Hart. McDonald, this is Spike, a relative."

"It's a pleasure to meet you," Lindsey commented. He recognized the name, but any pictures he had of Angel's family were few and old.

"I'm sure it is," Spike replied confidently. He smiled at Buffy who was coming up behind Lindsey. "Have you met my mate, lawyer man?"

"No, I haven't had the pleasure." Lindsey stared at the petite blond woman while she snuggled into the vampire's side. He found her quite pretty, but nothing too special. After all, he lived in a town where pretty girls were a dime a dozen, but she did seem vaguely familiar.

"Slayer, I think this bloke doesn't care too much for the poofter here." Spike smiled down at Buffy. "Can't imagine why. It's not like he's ever had to live with the old sod."

"Slayer?" Lindsey's eyebrows shot up. Now he recognized her as the Sunnydale Slayer. She looked a bit different than her photographs. There was a maturity to her face that she didn't have before.

"Yes. Ignore these two. We do." Buffy stuck her hand out to the lawyer. "Buffy Summers. Glad to meet you."

"Lindsey McDonald." The lawyer took the Slayer's hand in greeting. He shuddered when a shock of electricity shot through him. He gasped in surprise when both the Slayer and Spike gave him knowing glances, and he could tell that Angel was oblivious to the whole thing. "Pleased to meet you, Miss Summers. I didn't realize you were in town."

"Oh, yes," Buffy said airily. She pulled her hand away from the lawyer, and she smiled up at Spike. "It's nice to be back in Los Angeles, even if it's just for a little while." She glanced around the room. "Your building is quite nice. I remember seeing it from my father's office when I was little."

"Buffy?" Cordelia interrupted. "Do you think you could come help me?" She rolled her eyes, and continued in a sarcastic tone. "Harmony got into it with some demon chick from the filing department. I need you to calm her down. You know, I don't remember her being this high strung before she was vamped."

"Sure, Cordy." Buffy reached up to kiss Spike on the cheek. "Be good, and don't kill anyone until after they pay for their purchases." She turned to follow Cordelia to the other side of the room where a mussed up Harmony was waiting for them.

"She's a fire cracker, isn't she?" Lindsey mused, almost to himself. He watched the vampires watch the Slayer stride away. Lindsey noted that Angel's eyes were filled with pain at the sight of the happy girl while Spike had nothing but pride in his face.

Spike was proud of his girl. She was taking everything that life threw her with poise and confidence, and he was glad he'd been there to pick up the pieces after Angel had dumped her. His life was on the upswing now. Finally, he turned back to Lindsey, and he pulled a card out of his tuxedo pocket. He handed it to the lawyer as he said, "If you're ever needin' a new job, lawyer boy, give this number a call. Tell 'em William the Bloody gave you their number." He sauntered off towards the women.

Lindsey looked down at the card and read 'RoseSeri Hassib, The Celestial Council'. He recognized the number as being from Sunnydale. Lindsey was very surprised. Anyone could join up with Wolfram and Hart, but the CC required a personal invitation. Lindsey wondered what he'd done to deserve such an honor. Something told him he was in dire need of checking his ethics, and he needed to do it sooner rather than later.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Excuse me. Are you the Slayer?"

A deep, cultured voice interrupted Buffy's enjoyment of the view of the L.A. skyline. She turned around, and immediately her hackles rose. The voice belonged to a handsome, dark-skinned man dressed in what appeared to be an Armani suit. There was something about the man, though, that made the Sultana growl. "One of them," she spat out.

"I must introduce myself." The man bowed. He tried to grab Buffy's hand, but she backed away. "I am the Immortal. I see you are here with Angelus and William. May I be of service to remedy your loneliness?" He stepped back suddenly when Buffy growled at him in warning.

"I'm not lonely," Buffy snarled. "I am here with my friends." She knew that revealing Spike as her mate needed to be done at just the right moment for maximum shockage.

"Yes, I can see that," the Immortal said. He gathered up his courage, and he stepped forward. He looked Buffy in the eye as he sent as much of his charm as he could towards her. "Yet, you are still alone. Let me help you. Let me sweep you away to somewhere more private where we can enjoy ourselves." No woman had ever resisted his charms before.
"I'm perfectly happy with who I came with." Buffy glanced over at Spike. This jerk is trying to thrall me or something.

The Immortal was surprised when the Slayer didn't automatically fall for his 'captivating' wit. He was even more surprised when the blond vampire that she arrived with returned her look with an arched eyebrow and a sneer. For a moment, the Immortal thought that Spike was sneering at Buffy, but he soon realized that wasn't the case. The Immortal stepped back in surprise when the Slayer's eyes began to glow and fangs descended from her gum line.

"I warned my mate about not killing potential buyers before the big sale, but in your case I might make an exception," Buffy growled. She tilted her head as if she was listening to something only she could hear. "Oh, Spike tells me that you boinked both the hos at the same time."

"I beg your pardon?" The Immortal stepped back another step when two dark haired people stepped up behind the Slayer. "I wouldn't call Darla and Drusilla whores,. They were ladies with wonderful and refined tastes."

Buffy snorted out loud at the man's statement. It was obvious to her that the Immortal was quite delusional. Buffy studied the Immortal, and the Sultana found him to be sorely lacking. He reminded her of Angelus, only out for himself and his own pleasures. Here was a creature that had the capacity and time to do good, but he wasted it on silly pursuits.

"How may I help you, Mistress?" the Conduit asked politely. Doyle could feel the Slayer's agitation, as could the others of the clan. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Spike bearing down on the little group while those nearby moved away to get out of the line of fire.

"I see before me, a man who could be doing the world a great amount of good, but instead he acts like he is a self-indulgent child." The Sultana tilted her head while she studied the Immortal. "He thought he could thrall me, but all he really did was insult me and my mate." Buffy wondered about what she had said. This wasn't her usual mode of speech. She was much more Valley Girl.

I think you'll find, that over time both you and Spike will become more intuitive, Doyle whispered into her mind. You'll become more comfortable with the ability to read the hearts of others. For now, let the Sultana guide your actions.

"I'm sure you're used to getting what you want," Buffy sneered. When Spike slipped in beside her, she slipped her arm around his waist. "But I think you'll find that I'm a tad bitchier then the usual Slayer type. I think it has something to do with dying."

"Is there something wrong here?" Lindsey had seen the trouble brewing. Normally he'd be up for a good fight, but he knew Holland wouldn't be too happy with bloodshed happening with all the Wolfram & Hart clients present that night. Things might go badly, and Lindsey didn't want those consequences on his head. He signaled the head auctioneer to start seating the guests.

"Everything's fine, Mr. McDonald," Spike replied with disdain. "My girl was just telling this pillock to go shove it up his arse."

"Time to take our seats," the auctioneer called out. "Once everyone is seated, we shall begin the sale of the magical portion of the infamous Amara treasure. For the non-magical items, there will be an auction in Sunnydale at the art gallery on Main Street."

Lindsey gestured towards the door to the room where the auction was being held. He would never tell anyone this, not even under the threat of death, but something about Buffy Summers scared the piss out of him. He had no doubts that if her little group decided to take out the evil in the room with them that they would win. Hands down.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That went pretty well," Buffy said. She leaned back against the limo seat while she cuddled next to Spike. "We got out of there without any bloodshed, and we didn't blow up the building. So, go us."

"You felt the evil, though," Cordelia muttered. "I mean, we went to school on top of the Hellmouth. I wouldn't be surprised if they had one in the basement."

"Well, at least we can identify some of the creatures we will be up against here in Los Angeles," Wesley said politely. "I'll collect names from everybody when we get back to the hotel. That will be quite helpful, I believe."

"Of course, it will, Wesley," Buffy commented. She laid a hand on his sleeve. "I think being away from the Council's influence has done you a lot of good. As we match names with faces, Spike and I will try to work on matching levels of evil, too. How does that sound?"

"That would be most helpful, Buffy," Wesley assured the girl. He thought she had a maturity now that she hadn't had the last time he had seen her. Wesley decided that being mated with Spike had done the Slayer good. He smiled around at his friends and colleagues.