Author's Chapter Notes:
Betaed by Tasha
Chapter 26 The Grand Finale

"How are we supposed to defeat Adam if he's that strong?" Buffy asked as she watched the video of the cyborg's easy escape from the Initiative.

"Patrol has been quiet since he escaped," Spike noted dryly. "Not sure if it's linked or not."

"The power core is here." Willow pointed at the computer screen. "If it is removed, he will die."

"But the schematics pretty much say he's invulnerable," Serina said. She peered over Willow's shoulder at the computer. "I'm not sure Buffy, even with her Sultana enhancements, can defeat him." The British witch looked concerned.

"If only there was a way to send our powers through the clan link to help Buffy," Willow said.

"There are a few spells that would do just that, but they're dangerous." Giles glanced over at the bookcase. "We really need a more central location to have our meetings. Somewhere besides here or my flat."

"Yes, linking spells can be dangerous." Serina tapped her chin. "I'm sure that we'll do just fine. Both you and I know ancient Sumerian, Rupert."

A knock on the door interrupted the discussion.

"Oz's here," Willow said excitedly. She grinned at the Tara. "Wait till you meet him." She leapt to her feet, and she hurried to the door which she flung open.

Oz stood on the other side of the door. He gave a small grin when he saw Willow. They wrapped their arms around each other. When Tara approached the two red-heads, both Oz and Willow welcomed her into their embrace.

Buffy gave Spike a wide-eyed look, but he just shrugged. He had no idea what was going on, but it didn't bother him in the least. He was actually quite monogamous for a vampire. Usually it was the more the merrier in vamp relationships. So, a triad didn't faze him in the least.

"Well, um..." Giles cleared his throat. "How about Serina and I go back to my flat to find that linking spell?"

"You're not staying for Oz's welcome home party?" Willow asked. "Ronald and Betty will be here soon. Graham and Clem, too."

"No, I think we need to find this spell before Adam attacks." Giles nodded. "But you have your fun."

"Okay, Giles." Buffy smiled at the Watcher. "Let us know if you find anything."

"Brian's supposed to be checkin' in later," Spike said. "He and the other minions are on the lookout for Adam."

"Oh hey, look at this." Xander pointed at the screen. "It's the Initiative floor plans, including Section 314."

"Interesting. Check with Graham to see if they've explored every nook and cranny of the facility," Serina said as Giles and she left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Later, after Giles found a linking spell and Oz's welcome home party had dwindled, Spike and Buffy were quietly discussing the upcoming fight, when the doorbell rang.

Buffy tilted her head, and she extended her senses. "It's a vamp. You expecting anyone?"

"No." Spike rose to his feet. He sauntered to the front door, and he flung it open.

"Hey, chief. Got some information for you." Sam Lawson grinned at Spike.

"Who's this?" Buffy asked when she came up behind Spike.

"Lawson. One of Angel's." Spike kept his eye on Lawson while he pulled Buffy closer. "Some vamps he hangs out were hired by Adam as mercenaries. When Sam here learned I was the Master of Sunnydale, he paid me a visit."

"You're just telling me this now?" Buffy raised an eyebrow.

"Couldn't let Adam get wind of it," Spike drawled. "What did you find out?"

"Adam's holding up in some caves near the Army complex," Lawson replied. "You gonna need any help, chief?"

"We need any help, luv?" Spike asked Buffy.

Buffy had spent the last few minutes studying the new arrival. She had to admit that he was a handsome vampire. Not as hot as Spike, of course, but easy on the eyes. However there was something different about Lawson. Buffy looked at Spike, and she shrugged. "The more the merrier, I guess."

"Head over to the mansion, Lawson." Spike nodded his head in the direction of Crawford Street. "Brian will find you a room."

Lawson nodded his head in return before he started off towards the mansion.

"He's different," Buffy said softly.

"Peaches made him after the soul." Spike watched the dark-haired vampire stroll away.

"Interesting. Yet another secret he has." Buffy shook her head. She was glad that Spike didn't hide his past from her like Angel did. She knew she'd chosen the right Aurelian for her mate, and she was thankful for him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

At dusk the next day, Lawson lead the Scoobies to the entrance of the caves where Adam and his demonic followers were hiding out. The plan had Spike and Buffy going after Adam with the help of Giles, Willow, and Xander via the linking spell. Brian and the other minions would deal with Adam's minions while Serina, Tara, Anya, and Oz would protect the spell casters.

The group moved through the cave slowly and carefully, killing demons as they went. The gang came to the biggest of the caves where Adam sat linked to the Initiative computers.

The spell casters set up at the side, surrounded by their protectors while Spike and Buffy took Adam head on. Buffy gasped when Riley lurched forward. He was still alive, but under Adam's control.

"I see you recognize my brother," Adam said. "Soon, Slayer, you will be joining our little family."

"I don't think so," Buffy replied. She slipped into the Sultana game face. "You're so not my type."

"You've accepted a vampire and I am better, more enhanced than some crossbreed," Adam sneered.

"Better a crossbreed than a Frankenstein monster," Spike sneered in return.

We're ready, Buffy, Willow said.

Hit me!

The Slayer Sultana smirked at her foe as she felt the extra power flood through her body. She thwarted every attack Adam attempted while Spike easily took care of Riley. The Slayer and the vampire overwhelmed their opponents. Buffy casually plunged her hand into Adam's body, and she pulled out Adam's power source breaking the monster's hold on Riley.

Buffy and Willow's voices merged as one, and the power core rose from Buffy's hand, whirled in the air, and disappeared.

"That was strange." Buffy's face returned to normal, and she fainted.

Spike caught Buffy before she hit the floor. He carried her over to the chair that Adam had vacated. He cuddled the Slayer close before he glanced at the computer screen.

"Get over here, Red," Spike grunted. "Mr. Bits let the demons in the lock up loose and locked the doors on the soldier boys."

Willow rushed over to the computer. She studied the screen for a few minutes before her fingers flew across the keyboard.

Spike told Brian, Lawson, and the other minion to head out before Riley woke up and saw them. Besides, they would have to do patrol in the Slayer's place. Spike was sure she wouldn't be up to it later.

"So, are we having our annual post apocalyptic party?" Xander asked. "I'll get the movies."

"Oh, Tara and I can get the munchies." Willow grinned as she looked up from the keyboard. She punched one last key with a flourish. "You know, there's a house for rent down the street from you guys." She looked at Spike and the now alert Buffy.

"We can be neighbors." Buffy crawled out of Spike's lap. She stretched slowly. "Dang, I'm tired. Let's get out of here."

Riley groaned as he came to. He saw the retreating Scoobies, and he called out, "What about me? You can't leave me here."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"That was Graham." Buffy dropped the cordless phone on the coffee table. "They found Riley with Adam's body. He'll be okay in a few days. The Initiative is being shut down. Riley's getting some kind of medical discharge, and Graham's staying in Sunnydale as the official liaison."

"Now that the fight is over, let's watch some vids." Xander rubbed his hands together. "I'm putting a preemptive bid for 'Apocalypse Now'."

"I feel strangely alert," Willow said. She leaned into Oz's side as she pulled Tara against her.

"Me, too." Buffy smiled. "I really expected to be more pooped after the battle."

"Well, movie goodness for all then," Willow replied. "Pop in that movie, Xan-man, and someone pass me the popcorn."

"Gotcha." Xander put the video tape into the VCR. Then, he sat back with Anya.

Soon, the clan members in the room were asleep, leaving only Serina and Tara awake.

Spike and Buffy hiked across the desert. Soon, they came to an oasis where they found the clan members waiting for them.

"Okay, does anyone want to tell me what is going on here?" Cordelia asked.

"Buffy sucked us all into one of her dreams again," Willow answered.

"Why do I get all the blame?" Buffy protested. "Besides, now Giles can see how weird my dreams are."

"Thank you, Buffy," Giles gave a mild reply. "I'm sure I'll have the distinction of being the first Watcher to participate in a Slayer dream."

"Welcome to the Oasis." a gentle voice said.

The Scoobies turned to find a dark-haired woman standing nearby. She was dressed all in green, and she held her arms open in a welcoming gesture. "I am Anqet. I have been waiting a millennium for you."

"Uh, sorry?" Buffy blushed.

"Not your fault, my dear." Anqet smiled a soft grin. "However, I've always known it would be you to become the Sultana, Buffy. I've known for centuries, ever since Heinrich Nest, the vampire that Sabina knew as Marcus Aurelius, was turned."

"I know you," Anya said suddenly. "You're Kibene, Keeper of the Well of Devotion."

"Yes, Anyanka, that is one of my many names and responsibilities." Anqet gave the vengeance demon a small nod. "I am also the Power that revealed you role in this to Hoffy."

"You're the who mojoed the Slayer and me." Spike lifted an eyebrow.

"I only revealed that which was already there, William." The goddess glided over to the mated pair. "You would have found each other eventually."

"Well, my sinister attraction is irresistible." Spike smirked at Buffy.

"Ego, much?" The Slayer rolled her eyes at her mate.

"Dawn is coming, Clan Sultana-Aurelius." Anqet looked around at the group. "More will join you in your fight. Even one who will be surprising."

"Um, okay, I do have a question?" Buffy pointed to the edge of the oasis. "Who's the guy with the cheese?


Buffy awoke with a start as did the others. She pouted before she said, "I really wanted to know who the cheese guy was?"