Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks for all the reviews. They really make my day. Things that seem like a loose end? Probably aren't, I just havent explained them yet.
Reginald Magnus Bey emerged from the small Sunnydale airport and hailed a taxi. Giving the driver the address to Rupert's flat, Reggie sat back to enjoy the scenery. The California town was located close to the ocean and Reggie could smell the salt breeze blowing in.

The taxi passed by a road crew erecting a 'Welcome to Sunnydale Population 38,500' sign. The men waved at him friendly even the one that appeared to be a goat-faced Aviing demon. Reggie saw immediately what Rupert had called 'The Sunnydale denial factor' when the taxi driver just waved, pretending not to notice the odd looking street worker.

Winding through the quiet streets of Sunnydale, Reggie found it hard to believe such a pleasant little burg could house the biggest convergence of evil in the Northern Hemisphere. He counted no less than 6 cemeteries on the way to the flat, but Reggie knew the little town had over 12 from the information on the town that Rupert had faxed him.

The taxi pulled up outside a small set of flats with an iron gate that lead into a walled courtyard. Reggie noticed the 'Apartment for Rent' sign up in the manager's office window as he paid the taxi driver. He tightened his grip on his suitcase not wanting to lose his important life's work. Reggie slipped through the gate and quickly found the door to Rupert's flat. He knocked quietly and was surprised when the door was opened by the most becoming woman he had ever seen.

"Mr. Bey? Come in. My name is Joyce Summers," the woman said as she stuck her hand out for a handshake.

Reggie was so startled by the sound of her voice that he lost all of his concentration and let his carefully erected glamour fade. He watched as her eyes opened wider and she nibbled her lip as she saw his true self.

"Delighted, Ms. Summers," Reggie murmured as he bent over her hand and brought it to his lips. A shock sparked against his lips as he kissed the back of her hand and, if the expression on her face was any indication, she felt the same. Reggie was suddenly glad he had tendered his resignation to the Council before he had departed for the States.

"Reggie, I see you have met Joyce."

The sound of Rupert's voice broke through the haunting web that was slowly weaving itself around Reggie and Joyce Summers. Reggie jerked up from Joyce's hand, but didn't let it go.

"Hmmm, yes. What a lovely lady, I must say, Rupert. If I had known the Americas had such lovely creatures I would have visited you much sooner," Reggie declared as Joyce looked down as she blushed and pulled her hand away from him.

"Yes, quite right. Get your arse inside, Reggie," Giles laughed taking Reggie's suitcase and ushering him inside, "Sit down and I will introduce to everyone. Well, everyone that's here so far."

"Thank-you, old man," Reggie responded before turning to Joyce, "I am usually not this forward but would you consent to sit next to me?"

In the background Reggie heard a young voice say in a sing-song tone, "Mrs. Summers has a boyfriend," immediately followed by the statement, "He looks like he gives great orgasms." His jaw dropped at the last statement and he turned to see a gorgeous young lady smiling brightly at him while nodding. She gave him a little wave before turning back to the young man who appeared to be her boyfriend and patting him on the head as he hit his head on the table.

"That's Anya Jenkins. She's very... forthright. You'll get use to her in time," replied Giles as indicated the couch to Reggie and Joyce to seat themselves, "The boy bashing his brains out on my table... please stop that, Xander... is Xander Harris. The young lady at the laptop is Willow Rosenberg. The others should be here in a few minutes."

Willow looked up and gave Reggie a little wave before returning to her laptop. She blushed a little before looking up at Rupert, "They will be here in a few minutes, Giles. They got 'distracted' on the way here."

Reggie jumped when the flat door slammed open and two rumpled blondes spilled into the room. The man on the bottom had his hands wrapped tightly around the woman's waist as she had his duster lapels firmly gripped in her fists. Their lips were pressed together in a wild, abandoned kiss. Reggie watched as the other occupants of the room tried to look everywhere but at the couple wildly making out on the floor. Well, except the Anya bint who was watching avidly almost as if she was taking notes.

"Spike lips. Lips of Spike," The woman murmured as she pulled away from the man. He stared up at her with such love and admiration in his eyes.

"Bloody Hell," Spike gritted out as the woman wiggled around on top of him. The woman looked up at the other occupants of the room.

"Oh, hi guys," The woman jumped up off of Spike and held her hand out to help him up.

"See, told you they got distracted," Willow muttered to herself.

"Spike, Buffy, I would like to introduce you to my friend, Reginald Bey."

Reggie watched as Buffy pulled Spike up from his position on the floor. Buffy smiled up at him as he cupped her chin and brushed his thumb across her cheek. His answering smile was loving, indulgent and confident all in one.

"Hard to believe they were once enemies, isn't it?" came a quiet voice from beside Reggie. He turned to look into Joyce's eyes.

"What?"

"Spike and Buffy. I unofficially met Spike by slamming an axe over his head and shouting 'Get the hell away from my daughter'. I officially met him about 8 months later when she brought him to the house. They tried to convince me they were in a band together," Joyce chuckled at the memory, "Dusting a vampire in front of me sorta clued me in."

"Spike? You can't possibly mean William the Bloody?" Reggie gasped as he turned to stare again at the 'man', "Just how long have you known him?"

"Let's see Back to School night was in September, so just over 2 years," Joyce spoke quietly, "I am not sure the exact reasons he came to town. You will have to ask them."

"Came to town to heal my Sire... and kill the Slayer," Spike chuckled in memory, "Accomplished the first and Buffy almost killed me instead."

"Oh, like you didn't deserve it," Buffy smirked up at him, but then her face turned tender, "But I am glad I didn't damage you too badly."

"You are truly Spike, William the Bloody, Slayer of Slayers, Scourge of Europe, member of the Clan of Aurelius?" Reggie asked. He wasn't an official Watcher anymore, but he so wanted to get out his notebook and take notes.

"Last time I checked," Spike said as he pulled Buffy towards one of the armchairs. He sat in it and pulled Buffy down on his lap.

"We need to get down to business," Giles announced, "The jewelry from the treasure of Amara that you gave me is very interesting, Spike. These pieces will be very helpful to us."

"The Gem of Amara is real?" Reggie's hands really itched for a notebook now. He looked up in surprise as the girl, Anya, handed him a notebook and pencil.

"Giles is very... Watchery. You get use to him in time," she replied, echoing Giles's word from when he had described her. She smiled at Reggie before returning to her place beside Xander.

"Yes, the Gem is real," Spike held out his hand and showed Reggie a gold ring with a small green stone in it. Spike didn't feel the need to tell them that the real ring was nestled inside his body, not on his finger.

"Yes, well the items you gave me are all quite special," Giles informed Spike as he moved to pull a strongbox off the bookcase. He opened it and began to pull the first jewelry out, telling the group what powers were imbued in the specimen, "The first item is known as the Chakra of Durga of Hindu origins. When worn, the bearer can kill powerful demons."

"Pretty," Buffy commented. Her fingers twirled the back of Spike's hair. Reggie looked up from his notebook when he heard the vampire's playful growl. He was just in time to see Spike's eyes flash gold at the girl on his lap.

"Next we have the Pendant of Hecate which focuses the power of a spell," Giles pulled out a red stone on a long silver chain.

"Oh, that one is for me," Willow gasped.

"Not till your mentor says you are ready, Willow," Giles informed the girl as he pulled another piece of jewelry out of the strongbox, "This is the Ring of Sekhmet that heals and strengthens the wearer. And now, the Bracelet of the Witch-Goddess Aradia. This little item blocks all spells cast against the wearer."

"Really? That was lost over 1,000 years ago. Hoffy was so mad with Aradia when it was lost. She was a vengeance demon, you know? Some of the people she exacted vengeance on mistook her for a witch-goddess," Anya announced, looking pleased with herself. She patted Xander's arm, who just smiled at her warmly and lifted her hand to kiss it.

"These two rings are the Gems of Bashet. They will connect both bearers telepathically, but if what you tell me is true we might not need these after all," Giles replied.

"What do you mean, Rupert?" Reggie asked. He watched as Spike, Buffy and Willow exchanged looks, but Giles was the one who answered.

"All in good time, Reggie. One of the many things we will cover today," Giles chuckled as Reggie began to scribble in his notebook.

"Last, but not least, we have Vlad's Blood. The jewels in this necklace glow when vampires are in close proximity. I think this one can be broken up so that those of us without a built in detector can each have a ring," Giles finished his explainations and got busy returning the jewelry to the strongbox.

"I'll contact that demon jeweler. With enough dosh handed out, I expect he won't mind comin' here to good ole Sunnyhell," Spike replied.

Giles crossed the room, put the strongbox back on the bookcase and turned to study his long time friend. Reggie noticed that his friend seemed to be searching for the right thing to say, which surprised him as he never knew Rupert to be at a loss of words.

"I am not sure where to begin," Giles muttered, "Reggie and I met at Oxford while we both were attending university. We met a few times and got along splendidly, but I was hanging out with Ethan and that bunch. I didn't know at that point that Reggie's grandparents were the Atherton's. Their family has been involved in the Council even longer than mine."

"I didn't trust Ethan Rayne. Still don't," Reggie replied as he grimaced at the memory of the smarmy man.

"Smart move, Reggie. We've met him more than once ourselves," Xander informed him.

"After graduation we ran into each other at Council Headquarters in London and renewed our friendship. In an ironic twist of fate, I bought an old Watcher's diary at an estate sale at the same time Reggie ran across The Apotropaic Prophecies secreted away in the bowels of the Council," Giles proclaimed as he gestured to Reggie to take up the narrative.

"We didn't realize what we had for another 6 months, when at a luncheon, Rupert mentioned the old diary and that the only word he could translate was 'apotropaic'. The word hit a chord in me and it caused me to remember the book I, myself, had found around the same time," Reggie told the group as he stood and put his suitcase on the table. Unhooking the clasps, he flung it open and removed two books wrapped in waterproofed cheesecloth.

Reggie unwrapped the books carefully and sat them side by side on the table. Then, he pulled a sheath of papers from the suitcase. Reggie pulled out a pair of latex gloves to put on his hands. He gently picked up the first book and began turning the pages.

"The gloves protect the pages against oils in the skin, luv," Reggie heard Spike say and he looked up at the vampire, "Wot, why does everyone think 'm stupid just because 'm impulsive? You and Rupes aren't the only ones to graduate university. I keep tellin' you that. Who was Oxford's valedictorian in 1876?"

"William Jamison," Giles automatically replied. They had been required to learn past valedictorians as a matter of pride when he attended university. Giles glanced at Spike just in time to see him arch his brow and hear Buffy's quiet giggle.

"But the Council books say... "

"Ya, well, the Council's a bunch of wankers, aren't they? They mistook some of Darla and Angelus's earlier companions for Dru and myself. Can't help it if they're bloody stupid," Spike spit out in disgust.

"So when were you turned?" Reggie asked. This put a different spin on things entirely. The Watcher's information said that Spike became a Master Vampire in 1900 when he slayed his first slayer, but if he was turned after 1876 this would mean he elevated himself in a very short amount of time.

"Drusilla turned me in 1880," Spike informed the ex-Watcher.

"But you said Angel was your sire," Xander said, "That he was your... Yoda."

"He wasn't physically my Sire, but he took me under his wing and taught me everything he knew," the vampire muttered.

"Can we get back to the reason we are all here?" Willow asked, "Serina wants me to oversee the consecration of the ground that she wants to build the Sunnydale branch of the coven on. It's quite exciting, if you think about it."

"I believe I am ready, Rupert. This is the Watcher diary of William White. I have translated the book from the old archaic English into modern English. On these packets of papers I have recorded the pertinent information. Anya, could you please pass them out to the others?" Reggie remarked.

"Sure, I would be happy to."

"You have beautiful handwriting, Reggie," Joyce said when she received her packet of papers.

"Thank you, Joyce," Reggie smiled shyly at her before returning his attention to the book in his hand. He began reciting the important entries.

June 19th, 1399
The entire Council was surprised when the newest Slayer wasn't chosen from the potentials. The line jumped to an unknown Russian Romany girl by the name of Sabina. Her present location had been found to be Krostoma, just outside Moscow. The Council had made me her Watcher simply because I have the good fortune, or misfortune, of speaking Russian. It will take me several months to get there. I pray to God that my charge isn't dead by that time.

Oct 30th, 1399

I arrived in Krostoma today and immediately found my charge to be unlike any potential or Slayer I have ever met. To say she is unconventional is putting it mildly. When I showed her the Slayer Handbook she laughed in my face and told me in her beautiful lilting voice she had no use for it. Her fighting style is unlike anything I have ever seen. She is quite frankly amazing.
Something else unique about this newest Slayer. She is older than most of the newly chosen, in that she is 19 instead of 15. I wonder if this will somehow help her stay alive longer.

Oct 31st, 1399

The Romany had one of their festivals last night. The Dance of the Blue Cat was performed. The costumes were quite marvelous and colorful. My attentions wandered as I took in the activities. I lost sight of Sabina early in the evening, but later saw her in the company of a handsome young man who she appeared quite enamored with. When I questioned Sabina's mother, I was told he was the guest of the local lord of the manor and not to worry.

Nov 1st, 1399

Sabina showed up this morning, barely alive, drained almost to the point of death. Only her Slayer healing powers saved her. The story she told was quite frankly terrifying and bizarre. Sabina told of how she felt she couldn't resist the young man, who called himself Marcus Aurelius, and so she left the festival with him. Once they were alone, he showed his true nature; that of a vampire. He proceeded to drain her, but for some reason he stopped short of killing her. She remembers him whispering a word in her ear as she fell to the ground. Based on her rudimentary vocalizations I believe he whispered in English the word, "Mine." I have no idea why this vampire would mark the Slayer so. Inquiries into his whereabouts have futile as he has left the company of the local lord.

Jan 12th, 1400

Today is Sabina's 20th birthday. She celebrated in true Romany fashion. Immediately following the ceremony, Sabina fell ill. At first we thought she had eaten something that didn't agree with her, but that could not explain the glowing of her eyes. I have dispatched a message to the Council immediately using a very unorthodox method. The Romany drabengo or medicine man used magic and herbs to allow me to connect directly to the Head of the Council; a reasonable man named Charles (Best translation would be Giles). When I informed him of the things happening to the Slayer, he seemed quite worried and said he would look into the manner personally. Charles said he would use a nearby coven of witches/Wiccas to contact me in the same manner as I contacted him.

Jan 19th, 1400

It's been a week since my Slayer fell ill of some unknown cause. She lies in bed all day sick to her stomach, moaning that the marks on her neck burn her, but rises every evening to go and slay the demons that seem to be unnaturally drawn to Krostoma. I have yet to hear back from Charles.

Jan 28th, 1400

Imagine my shock when Charles Giles and a witch named Mathilda suddenly appeared in my front hall this morning. They translocated themselves all the way from Westbury, England. They brought several books with them including a copy of something called the Apotropaic Prophecies which tell of a Slayer Sultana but seems to yield little clues. The only things we understand in the book at this time is the near draining and the marking of the Slayer by a particular family of vampires. The Clan of Aurelius.

Feb 5th, 1400

It's been 8 days since Charles and Mathilda arrived from England and my Slayer continues to become sicker. The worst part is she now calls for the vampire that marked her. Mathilda and the drabengo are at their wit's end trying to find a way to ease Sabina's pain. I fear worse things are to come to my brave Slayer.

Feb 6th, 1400

Mathilda had one last spell up her sleeve but alas it did nothing to help Sabina. I fear the end is near. Sabina no longer calls for the vampire nor does she writhe in pain.

Feb 7th, 1400

My Slayer is gone. God Bless her soul. May it rise to heaven on the wings of doves. I fear I feel more for Sabina then I thought. Her passing has put a scar upon my heart.

Footnote #1

Feb 12th, 1401

I was surprised this evening by a knock on my door. When I opened it I was surprised to find none other than Marcus Aurelius on my doorstep. He just stared at me for a few minutes with great sadness in his eyes. He told me he didn't mean for her to die in pain and that he had gotten there too late, missing us by just a few weeks. He talked about how when he met Sabina she intrigued him; a Romany slayer. He had meant to kill her, but when he tasted her blood, tasted her power and capacity to love and be loved, something stopped him and instead he claimed her. He had planned on coming back for her. I was left speechless as I watched him cry over a dead Slayer. How can an evil vampire love?

Footnote #2

March 21st, 1439

A courier came by horseback last night bringing strange news from the Council. I am not sure why they wished to inform me of this tidbit of news; probably only because I was Sabina's Watcher. My dear sweet granddaughter Elizabeth sits by my side and writes this for me as my hands are gnarled with age. The vampire known as Marcus Aurelius attempted to remove the humanity plaguing his lineage, but the results were unexpected. Apparently the spell went wrong and all he accomplished was removing his ability to slip into his human visage. I wonder how much the loss of Sabina caused the vampire to do such a dangerous spell?


Reggie finished reciting from the diary. He rewrapped the book in its cheesecloth and put it back in his suitcase. Reggie picked up an extra packet of papers, flipping through to the page he wanted. When he indicated a page number the others turned to the same page as he was on. He looked up in surprise when Buffy gasped.

"That's Darla!"

"No, Miss Summers, that is Sabina. That is a copy of a picture found with the diary," Reggie proclaimed.

"No, seriously, Reggie, put blonde hair on her, lighten the complexion and you have Darla," Buffy exclaimed as Spike nodded.

"Spent decades with the bitch. This Sabina bint is almost a double for my great-grandsire. Might explain why he kept her on a short leash."

"Interesting. I have a list of symptoms that I have gleaned from the diary. They include sick to the stomach, glowing eyes, sleeping during the day while restless at night, an unnatural influx of demons, bite marks burning, and calling for the vampire in question. Have you had any of those symptoms?" Reggie jumped back in surprise when Buffy raised her iridescent green-gold eyes to his.

"Just the one. And I have the fangs to go with them," Buffy said as she peeled back her upper lip to show off her sharp incisors, "Oh Spike's eyes go all glowy sometimes, too."

"Fascinating. I would love to see that."

"Well, um... it only happens during a blood exchange. We could try it though if Spike agrees," Buffy replied. She held her wrist up to Spike, who nodded as he slipped into game face.

Spike closed his eyes and pressed his mate's wrist against his mouth. After several pulls of the supercharged Sultana blood, Spike opened his eyes to show everyone the iridescence of his blue-gold eyes.

"Those are very pretty, Spike. Much nicer than normal," Anya stated loudly causing Spike to chuckle as he pulled away from Buffy's wrist. He licked the wound closed, slipped out of game face and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

Reggie stared at the Slayer and her vampire for a few moments before picking up the other book he brought with him. Holding it up so everyone could see it, he launched into an explanation of what knowledge he had gleaned.

"This book is The Apotropaic Prophecies. I think 'prophecies' is the wrong translation of the word and a more appropriate word would be 'chronicles'. When I discovered this book hidden way in a locked container in a hidden chamber within the Council, the only words made sense were on the first page," Reggie opened to the referenced page, "They were what caught my attention and launched me into my hobby. 'The Slayer Sultana'. When I first found the book these words were in the same archaic English that William Winters used in his diary, but now they are in modern English." Reggie moved around the room to show his audience the page in question.

"I haven't indulged my curiosity and delved further into the book, because I really figured that I wouldn't understand anything there," Reggie announced. He flipped to the next page and let out a gasp. "Rupert, the words... they have translated themselves."

Giles moved to the table and swiftly donned a pair of latex gloves himself. He peered at the page that Reggie had indicated.

"Criteria for the calling of a Slayer Sultana," Giles read from the top of the page, "Number one is the near draining of the Slayer by an Aurelian vampire."

"Been there, done that twice. Had the angry puppy marks to prove it."

"Number two is the death of the Slayer," Reggie recited the next criteria on the list.

"The Master threw me in a puddle of water after he drained me and I drown'd."

"Number three is the resuscitation of the Slayer," Giles related the next item on the list.

"Oh, that was me," Xander spoke up as he raised his hand, "I did that one."

"Number four is the calling of a new Slayer line, which I would assume would be the late Kendra and Faith, am I right?" Reggie asked.

"That would be correct, Reggie. And of course the mating of the Slayer with a master Aurelian vampire would be Spike. It's the last item that perplexes me, though. The book says this usually doesn't occur until the Slayer hits the age of 20 to 22. Buffy, you're not even 19 yet," Giles replied.

"Maybe it's because Buffy is being OverachieverBuffy," Willow said. Reggie noticed the eager glint in the red-haired girl's eye. It seemed Giles had an expert researcher in his midst.

"How do you mean, Willow?" Joyce asked in an intrigued tone. Reggie looked at her questioninly and she gave a little shrug to indicate this was her first meeting with the group.

"Buffy has met all the criteria and then some, Mrs. Summers. I know this must be hard for you to hear, but Buffy has been drained to near death by not one but two Aurelian vampires. The Master back when she was 16 and Angel just this last spring," Willow speculated.

"Then it is fortuitous that Buffy mated with Spike, but out of curiosity why Spike and not Angel?" Giles commented. Spike and Buffy looked at each other.
"The truce to bring down Angelus," they said as one voice.

"Did you just communicate telepathically?" Reggie asked. He had read that if claims were particularly strong both mates could speak to each other through the link.

"I recognize that look," Joyce spoke up, "I've seen it before and that was before Spike and Buffy were a couple."

"Yes, we can communicate telepathically. Quite well in fact, but Mom's right, there was something there before," Buffy informed Reggie.

"Is any of the rest of the book newly translated?" Giles asked. Reggie turned through the pages carefully searching for any differences in the text. He noticed that Rupert was an expert at getting the conversation back on track, even if the look on his friend's face indicated the currrent conversation intrigued Rupert, too.

"Ah yes, here we go. The Sultana will be more similar to the First Slayer than any other Slayer before her. She will be more in tune with the demonic nature of the Slayer line. This will make her more aware of the hearts of demons around her and help her with her fight against evil. Her senses will become enhanced, she will be able to claim clan members, and she will communicate with her clan members," Reggie recited as he furrowed his brow, "I assume these things have come to happen and that's why the words have translated. Am I correct?"

"Yes, you are Reggie. These are things that we have already found out. In fact Buffy has claimed Oz and Willow already as members of her clan and in doing so she has formed a new clan. The Clan of Sultana-Aurelius. See that's on the the next page." Giles remarked and pointed.

Reggie began to recite, "The Sultana and her mate will form a new clan and establish a power base that best suits their needs using a mixture of humans and demons. They will use this power base to rule the Hellmouth and keep it closed. The book shows a list of names, all untranslated except Werewolf and Wicca. Is this Oz person a werewolf?"

"Yes, Oz is a werewolf. He belongs to Willow. I bet the orgasms he gives are very animalistic," Anya said, "What? It's not like I ever did anything with a werewolf." The blunt words caused Reggie to blush hotly.

"Sorry, Reg, Anya's only been human for about a year. She's still learning what subjects are taboo in public," Xander chuckled, "But we love her anyway, don't we?" The others smiled and nodded which made the ex-vengeance demon grin and nod back.

"Oh crud, it's time for me to go to the consecration. I am off, guys. Nice to meet you, Reggie," Willow said as she stood up, closed her laptop and held her hand out to Reggie. When she was done shaking his hand, she waved at her friends and left the apartment.

"Us, too. We are avoiding Mom. It's not even Thanksgiving yet and she is talking about hanging Christmas lights, so we told her we were apartment hunting. Can you take 80 grand and just buy us a house, Spike?" Xander grumbled.

"That bad, Whelp?"

"You don't know the half of it. My parents are the poster children for dysfunctional," Xander muttered.

"You find an apartment you like, Harris, Buffy and I'll help with the move-in costs," Spike replied.

"Really? You guys are the greatest!" Xander hooted with joy before grabbing Anya's hand and the duo raced out of the flat.

"Are you okay with all this, honey," Joyce asked as she stood up and moved towards Buffy. She laid her hand on her daughter's shoulder.

"Ya know what? I think I am. I mean, it's pretty wiggy and the total weirdness factor is really high up there, but ya, I'm really okay with this," Buffy announced before she turned to smile at her mate, "With Spike here with me, it's really okay."

"Almost dark, luv. Time for a quick patrol before we go home?" Spike asked as Buffy rose gracefully off his lap and stretched.

"Sure thing. Nice to meet you, Reg. See ya later, Giles. Mom," Buffy said. She put her hand out to shake Reggie's. Reggie took her warm hand in his and gave it a small shake. To Spike she said, "Let's go, handsome," and glided out the flat door leaving the vampire to trail behind her.

Spike gave a quick salute to the two ex-Watchers and his 'mother-in-law' before following his mate into the fading sunlight. Reggie watched through the open doorway as the vampire caught up to the Slayer and took her hand. The Slayer smiled up at the vampire, her heart in her eyes.

Reggie's thoughts bounced around trying to cover everything that he had learned that day. His longtime research obsession was coming into existence and to his knowledge the Council didn't know about it and if he had his way it would be a long time before they ever knew.

"Is she always so accepting of things," Reggie asked.

"Not hardly, old man. I think this time though, she's just too damned happy to try and run from her destiny."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Maggie Walsh looked at the soldiers gathered in the briefing room. These were her best men. The ones that her experiments had been successful with. Although at this point she was unsure of Commander Finn; he was showing signs of instability and an unhealthy obsession with Buffy Summers. However, Walsh had to concede one point; the lovesick boy did bring her an interesting piece of information regarding Miss Summers as the Slayer.

Walsh motioned for the soldiers to be seated as she turned on the overhead projector. She grabbed up the remote and clicked on the first slide. It was a picture of a petite blonde woman sitting with a bleached blonde man on a porch swing.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I believe we have encountered a new variable in the HST population here in Sunnydale. The young woman in the picture behind me is named Buffy Anne Summers. Some of you may recognize her from around the UCSunnydale campus. Her companion is known as William Jamison. The female subject has been heard to be called The Slayer and the male subject has been heard to be called Spike.

"As soon as Commander Finn told me about this newest discovery, I assigned Johanson, Smith and Howard to photograph all people who interacted with the two subjects and to compile a file on each of them using any and all information pertaining to them. You will each find a copy of the files in front of you," Walsh informed the soldiers and papers could be heard rustling as the soldiers began looking through the files in front of them.

"While photographing the two subjects, Johanson was able to tape record an interesting conversation about a phenomenon called the Hellmouth. Could you please play that recording for us?"

"Yes, m'am," Johanson replied as he hit the play button on a small tape recorder on the desk in front of him.

BUFFY: That's five vamps already tonight. I thought you put the kibosh on turnings?
SPIKE: Did, luv. These are all out-of-towners.
BUFFY: I was hoping for a bit of a slowdown with you as the Master of Sunnydale.(huffs)
SPIKE: Not likely, pet, you know your rep proceeds you. (chuckles) Besides the Hellmouth attracts all the loonies.
BUFFY: Ya, haven't been by to check it in awhile. Maybe we should swing by the old high school and do some more reminiscing.
SPIKE: (Chuckles) Would be delighted to, Slayer, been awhile since I seen the old place.
BUFFY: You do know it kinda got blown up during graduation?
SPIKE: Ya I heard. Your work?

Johanson clicked off the tape recorder and said, "At this point I followed them to the burned out high school. I was able to follow them inside where they continued their conversation."

SPIKE: Wow, luv, when you blow up a place you really blow it up.
BUFFY: What can I say, baby, I was inspired. (Flirtingly) Do you remember our first fight, Spike?
SPIKE: Like it was yesterday, Slayer, like it was yesterday.
BUFFY: Do we really need weapons for this?
SPIKE: I just like them. They make me feel all manly. Last slayer I... fucked... she begged for it. You don't strike me as the begging kind.

Johanson turned off the tape again, "The two subjects began circling each other like they were about to fight. And they continued to speak as if it was rehearsed. As soon as the female subject began flirting with the male subject, he produced his demonic visage."

BUFFY: You shouldn'ta come here.
SPIKE: No. I've messed up your doilies and stuff. But I just got so bored. I'll tell you what. As a personal favor from me to you, I'll make it last all night long. And it won't hurt a bit.
BUFFY: No, Spike. It's gonna hurt a lot.

"They proceeded to fight for about ten minutes until the female subject appeared to deliberately lose and the male stood over her triumphantly."

SPIKE: Your mother isn't here to save you this time, Slayer.
BUFFY: Don't need my mother to save me, Spike, I still have myself.

"The male subject hoisted the female off the floor and pushed her against the wall. I was about to go and help the female when I realized that the male was kissing her and that she was returning the kiss. They ripped each others clothes off and proceeded to have sexual relations right there in the hallway. During the course of the relations, at one point the male stopped and sniffed the air. I was worried that he would detect me even with my body heat and smell masked," Johanson reported.

BUFFY: That was a much nicer way for the fight to end. (Laughs) Why did you go all vamp-sniffy in the middle? I didn't smell anything.
SPIKE: Not sure, sweets. Thought I felt something watching us.
BUFFY: Someone watching us? Now you know why I said no to crypt sex and graveyard sex. Get your clothes on so we can get down and check the Hellmouth.
SPIKE: Don't think anyone is bothering it, luv.
BUFFY: I know. I'd just feel better checking on it.

"I then followed the two carefully into the basement where they studied the ground for several minutes before leaving. I decided to stay and poke around for a few minutes to see if I could discover what they were looking for, but found nothing of interest. If this so called Hellmouth exists, it isn't visible to the naked eye," Johanson finished his report and nodded to Walsh.

"Thank-you, Johanson. Excellent job. I am going to break you into teams of two and assign each team one or two subjects to follow and observe. I wish to know about all these people before I contact our superiors. Are we clear everyone?" Walsh announced.

"Yes, M'am," the soldiers said as a group.

"Finn and Barkley, you will follow and observe the subjects known as The Slayer and Spike. Observe, Commander Finn. Do not intercede in any way, do you understand me?" Walsh commanded the two men.

"Yes, M'am," Both men said in unison.

"You may leave and study your files, gentlemen. Johanson and Howard, you are assigned to follow the subject Willow Rosenberg and her companion Daniel Osbourne if he should return from out of town," Walsh announced.

"Yes, M'am." Both men stood, saluted and left the briefing room.

"Smith and Morris, you are assigned to follow Xander Harris and Anya Jenkins. You should recognize him from the construction work at the fraternity house. Just because he is human, don't assume he is stupid," Walsh dismissed the men.

"Yes, M'am."

"Blake and Edwards, you are assigned to follow Rupert Giles and the vampiress Harmony, who has been observed staying at his apartment. Dismissed."

"Yes, M'am," and they too left the room.

"White, your partner is Jones, who is still in the infirmary. Check in with him. You are assigned to follow and observe Joyce Summers."

"Yes, M'am," White said, as she stood at attention, saluted and left the briefing room.

"Forrest and Graham, I have a very special assignment for the both of you. I have assigned you to follow and observe Commander Finn. I am worried that his interest in the female subject, Buffy Summers, is beginning to make him obsessive and careless. He has already lost one hostile and nearly blown our cover several more times. Regardless of the information he has brought me, I am worried he has become a liability. In fact, gentlemen, I wish you to go home with him over the holiday weekend. Your tickets are in your folder."

Both men straightened and saluted before leaving the room.

Walsh turned to study the picture of the subjects. The Slayer was supposed to be a myth, but it appeared that like vampires and other demons being a myth... was just a myth. And the Hellmouth? What was that and why did her superiors not know about it? And another problem; all the wires and cameras in all of the subject's houses were on the fritz for some reason. The wires recorded white noise and the cameras recorded fuzz.

The upcoming holidays were going to make things difficult; what with all the soldiers wanting to go home to celebrate with their families. Immediately after the New Year, Maggie decided she was going to talk to the Slayer and her hostile. Up close and personal.