Author's Chapter Notes:
sorry for the long wait...
Chapter 5: Lady in White

“Here we go.”

Angel stepped away from the group first. He knew what they were going to see and wanted to give Dawn some privacy, well as much privacy she was going to get while the four of them were still in the same big room. But still, seeing as how he had not been part of the group for over three years now, he felt out of place, knowing how emotional Dawn could get based on what he saw with Buffy and her reaction to the face of her mother. So he moved away from them, not knowing how he would begin to comfort her if need be.

Spike saw his move and gave him a small smile, knowing what he was doing. Really it was only a tweak of the corner of his mouth, but Angel understood what he was displaying and gave him that ‘tweak’ in return.

Spike moved closer to Dawn, wanting to shield her away from the visage of Joyce’s face if it got to emotional for her. He put his hand on her shoulder and squeezed it a bit. Dawn turned towards him and smiled a real genuine smile at him.

Giles watched the display of intense sentiment and stared in wonder at Spike. How could a being that was supposed to be evil and not give a damn about the human world, show such strong feeling for another? It used to perplex him, but over the last couple months of living with him in the Summer’s home, he had found his answer. Buffy. She was the one person on this entire planet that could make a being go against his nature.

He knew that it went much deeper than Buffy, also. He knew that Spike was no ordinary vampire, he held so much of William in him, that it made him want to study him and take notes. Secretly he had done just that in the past. He would see Spike interact with the Scoobies each day and record it at the end of the day from the privacy of his own home away from prying eyes. And although he would never in his life admit to anyone, least of all Spike, Giles was proud at the man that Spike had evolved into over his years in Sunnydale.

A small movement knocked the four of them from their thoughts. Spike and Angel saw the movement, and when Giles saw Spike look to his left, he and Dawn followed suit.

“So glad you all could make it,” said a voice that was obviously not Joyce’s. She was a little girl with long dark brown hair. It was tied into a small braid behind her head. She was wearing a yellow sundress, which stopped just below her knees. He features were nothing like Joyce’s and it left them all wondering why she had shown up as Joyce before to Buffy.

“Why don’t you look like my mom?” Dawn asked her. Dawn took five steps towards the girl.

“I have a surprise for you, Dawnie. Your sister has been offered a reward from the powers and you get to view it first.” The Senior Partner disguised as the little girl circled around Spike, Dawn, and Giles. It looked like she was a hawk circling its prey, just waiting for it to make the wrong move. “Come, Dawnie, follow me.”

“She will not go anywhere with you alone,” Spike walked up to Dawn and put a protective hand on her shoulder.

“Of course, William, you and the others are welcome to come along.”

For the first time in over a hundred years, Spike looked back at Angel and looked at him for confirmation as to go with her or not. Angel looked as surprised as Giles did when they saw this, but Angel gave him a comforting smile to ease his worry. He briskly walked towards the group and gave the girl a menacing glare. She laughed at him, and he backed away.

“Oh, Angel, are you trying to scare me? I am older than dirt and you are no match for me. Now come, all of you, follow me.” With that she walked away, knowing that they would follow sooner or later.

With a shrug, Spike pushed himself in front of Angel and led them towards where she had left.

------------------------------

Buffy stepped off of the plane and walked down the tunnel to get to the main airport. Once she, Wesley, and Fred were out of the gate, they immediately went to get some food, waiting for their luggage to be unloaded from the plane and brought into the terminal.

Buffy sat at one of the tables and ate her Big Mac and fries, waiting for Fred and Wesley to get their food and sit with her. She was very tired. On the plane she wasn’t able to get any sleep; she was constantly worrying if her family was alright. She had tried calling Dawn’s cell but got no answer on it and she wasn’t ready to talk to Willow or anybody else. She just hopped that through Dawn she could have talked to Spike. She was sure that they were half way across the country by now and would have liked to confirm that to soothe her fears.

Wesley was the first to sit down next to Buffy, but she really didn’t notice it too much. She was too engrossed in her thoughts to take part in the real world. It was too hard. If she did then she would have to face that she wasn’t going to make it out of this one. Buffy didn’t feel like disappointing anyone this time, so she stuck herself in her thoughts.

That all lasted about two minutes, for Wesley pulled her out of them by mentioning Dawn out loud.

“What did you say about Dawn?” Buffy asked, worry evident on her face and in her voice.

“Nothing, only that I hope she is okay,” Wesley replied. He noticed Fred standing in the crowd a bag from Roma Pasta in her hands, obviously searching for Buffy and Wesley. He stood up and flagged her down.

“Hey, you guys, what did you get?” She asked as she took her seat next to Wesley.

“McDonalds” “Chinese” They all shared their foods as if they had known each other for ever and had done it the same amount of time. Fred got some French fries and some noodles, Buffy some noodles and egg rolls, and Wesley some French fries and egg rolls. Each of them keeping their main course to themselves.

They ate their meal in silence, and then made their way to the bag pickup where an employee from WolfRam&Hart was meeting them. The employee was about 5’10’’ and wearing a very expensive Armani suit. He held a flap of a cardboard box with the name, ‘Summers’ on it.

They slowly made their way over to him. Wesley extended his hand and the other man took it.

“Hello, my name is Wesley Windom-Pryce. This is Buffy Summers and Fred Berkle,” he said indicating the two girls. “Are you the one who is to bring us to our hotel?”

The man had a confused look on his face. “Non parlo di inglesi,” he replied to the threesome.

(I don’t speak English.)


Wesley repeated himself again, this time in Italian. “Questo è le Buffy Summers e Fred Berkle, e sono il Wesley Windom-Pryce. Lei è l'un che va portarci al nostro hotel?”

(This is Buffy Summers and Fred Berkle, and I am Wesley Windom-Pryce. Are you the one who is going to bring us to our hotel?)

“Sì, sì sono. Venire seguirme.”

(Yes, yes I am. Come follow me.)

Wesley looked back at the ladies and motioned them to follow him. “He said for us to follow him.” Buffy looked at Fred, who only shrugged, knowing what she was wondering.

They walked out of the airport where a few men in black suits took their luggage and opened the door for them to enter the stretch limo. Of course, that was black also.

Ten minutes later they were stopped outside of the Roman W&H.

“Wesley, what are we doing here? I thought that we were supposed to go to the Hotel Roma. Why are we here?” Buffy was nervous, she didn’t want to be sidetracked from her mission. Even though she knew she had to go to WolfRam&Hart, she didn’t want to make the trip her first day in Rome. All she wanted to do right now was sleep till noon tomorrow. Right now, it didn’t look as if she was going to be able to do that.


Wesley lowered the window that separated them from the driver and asked, “Perché siamo qui? Dovrebbe non siamo al hotel proprio ora. Siamo tutto stancato ed amerebbe per riuscire a dormire.”

(Why are we here? Shouldn't we be at the hotel right now? We are all tired and would like to get some sleep.)

The driver turned around and looked embarrassed.

“Spiacente, il signore. Le mie scuse, ma ho dimenticato di dire a lei che Ilona amerebbe per parlare con lei. , È venuto per favore con me nell'edificio. Lei può riuscire a dormire molto brevemente. La porterò personalmente al hotel quando Ilona è fatto parlare con lei.”

(Sorry, sir. My apologies, but I forgot to tell you that Ilona would like to speak with you. Please, come with me into the building. You can get some sleep very shortly. I will personally take you to the hotel when Ilona is done speaking with you.)

----------------------------------------

It seemed that they would be walking forever. Shortly after Spike, Angel, Dawn, and Giles walked after the small girl they were taken down a small hallway that they would not have known was there unless they were being led like they are now being. It was so pure of white like the big room had been that you could barely tell where the hallway had opened. The hallway was so small that they had to walk down it single file, and Dawn could not be besides Spike any of the way.


Finally it opened up to a room that was surprisingly not white. In fact it was a bright neon green. Sitting at a table at the far side of the room with her back facing towards the group was a lady that had golden wavy hair, and Dawn knew just who it was.

She turned to Spike with a bright infectious smile that he readily gave in return showing that he too knew exactly who that lady in white was.

Dawn wasted no time in running to the woman. All the while a big sappy grin plastered on her face. She couldn’t have been any happier than she was this minute. When she reached the woman in white, the woman turned around and also expressed the same glee Dawn did.

“Mommy!”