Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All the characters are property of our god Joss Whendon.
Someone Better Than You

He was a bloody git and he knew it. William Giles had been the most ignored student in his high school in London, England. After his middle school crush, Cecile, had publicly humiliated him for his poetry, no one had really spoken to him much. Luckily though, William’s father, Rupert, was the school’s librarian, so William ate lunch with his every day.

Rupert wasn’t stupid. He knew his son was really shy, so he decided that William should learn how to have fun and be himself around people his own age. When William was a junior, Rupert took him to Miami, Florida in hopes of William meeting some friends and having fun. Even if William’s new friends lived on a different continent, simply meeting them was a step in the right direction. Now, Rupert wanted William to make new friends, but he had no idea what he was really getting both himself and his son into.

In Miami, William made two ‘female’ friends. Not exactly what Rupert was expecting to happen, but hey, who’s to complain. The girls loved his poetry and of the two of them, Drusilla seemed to be the one to truly get to William. Darla had enjoyed his company, but wanted a more outspoken, normal, kind of guy.

Drusilla had a hold on William. They even went out on a couple of dates during the week William had spent in Miami. Honestly, they spent almost every waking moment together. Rupert was appeased that William had been able to get a girlfriend while in Miami, even though the girl was a little too crazy for his own personal preferences, but he was happy for William. Yet, Rupert’s surprise was not over yet.

“Dad!!! Guess what!!!” William yelled at the top of his lungs after his last night in Miami, in which had been spent with Drusilla asleep on the beach- fully clothed.

“Yes, William. Though, I’m only two feet away from you, thank you very much.”

“SHE’S COMING TO ENGLAND!!! Dru said that she has no family here in Miami anyway and will come to London!” William was apparently very excited for he was still yelling, Rupert noticed.

Drusilla loved William for his accent. She could tell he had a muscular body, and that despite himself, he was a very good-looking young man. The only thing Dru had to do before leaving for England was to say good-bye to her best friend.

“Oh... Darla, you’ll never guess! I’m going to London to live by William! Tomorrow! I can’t wait!” Darla noticed her friend was already practicing her new British accent.

“Oh my God! You’re moving (pause) to England? Tomorrow?” Darla thought that this relationship was moving rather fast, but she knew Drusilla. She’d get bored with William soon enough. So, Darla decided to be happy for them.

“Yes, tomorrow! I’ll miss you Darla, but I’ll call soon.” With that, Drusilla left her friend alone.
And that had been it. That Spring Break of William’s junior high school year, Drusilla moved to London to be with William. Almost immediately, they fell in love. Drusilla was already 19, but William was going to be turning 18 in a year so their ages were pretty close together.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back in the day, as a high school senior, she was Ms. Sunnydale High. Her best friend, and boyfriend, was Mr. Sunnydale High.

At Sunnydale High School, they had been the hottest couple. Buffy Summers and Angel O’Connor were the people everyone wanted to be. They were beautiful, popular and rich, not to mention, a perfect couple. Buffy was the captain of the cheerleading squad and Angel was the captain of Sunnydale High’s football team.

Even though they both lived happy lives, both Buffy and Angel had had their share of pain in their pasts. Buffy’s parents had divorced when she was 13 and at the time, Buffy was a wreck. Luckily, Angel had been there for her. He had helped her through if by comforting her: just as she has done for him only a year later.
When Angel was only 14, he lost both his parents in a plane crash. They had gone on a trip together and their plane coming home had ‘malfunctioned’ and landed in the Pacific Ocean. Since Angel was still a freshman, he was living with his grandparents. Also, because he was an only child, he inherited all of this parent’s money, which was a lot for a Sunnydale family.

To keep each other stable through hard times, Buffy and Angel acted as parents for each other. Encouraging each other to do well in school, and make good discussions in general, brought Buffy and Angel closer together than any other couple could be. Theirs truly was a perfect relationship. They were best of friends and hottest of lovers.

That was of course, until one week after their high school graduation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buffy remembered it as if it were yesterday. Even though it had been two months since Angel broke up with her, she still remembered the day exactly.

Buffy and Angel were sitting on a bench near Shady Hill Cemetery, one of their favorite places for some alone time.

“Buffy, I’ve got this problem. This is actually the hardest thing that I’ve ever had to say, but...” Angel hesitated, searching for his next words.

“Angel, just tell me. Whatever it is, we can make it better. We can do this together.” At this time, Buffy had still been confident that no matter his problem, that they would fix it. Still, she wouldn’t press him too hard for information, even though her curiosity had been skyrocketing.

“We need... I think... well, we should stop dating.” Angel was now trying to keep the fear out of his face. He was scared Buffy would break into tears. She rarely cried, but Angel hated to see her sad, especially when he knew her sadness was his fault. Yet, Angel believed it was best for them not to be in a long distance relationship. He still wanted to remain her best friend though; he just hoped she wanted that too.

Buffy, unlike Angel, was in shock. How could he even say it to her, she had no idea. Those were the last words she ever expected to hear from her lover’s mouth.

“I still love you... I always have and always will Buffy. I just want you to be able to experience college to the fullest. I want you to feel free to do as you please. Plus, you’ll be in NYC and I’ll still be here in California.”

“Why does that matter? I love you. I’ll never find anyone to replace you. You’re my soul mate.”
“I know Buffy, but I think it’s best for both of us to go into college single. I’m certainly not saying we’ll never get back together, but if we do, that will be then. I think we should take some time to check out ‘other fish in the sea’.”

“So now you’re looking for someone better than me. But, in the meantime, you think we should go fishing?” Buffy spat out angrily.

“It was just an expression.”

“Yeah. You’ll probably take your new girlfriend fishing. Nice romantic settings, watching the sun go down... until the canoe you rented gets a hole in the bottom and sinks.”

“I think you’re taking this out of proportion.”

“That’s because I’m upset! I was just dumped! Remember? Pay attention!”

Buffy remembered Angel looking away from her as soon as she had said it. He felt bad already, yet apparently it wasn’t enough for how he had made her feel.

Eventually, Buffy got off the bench and walked away. After asking her to stay there with him only once, Angel gave up.

She was scaring him. When she walked away from him, her face had been emotionless. She had still been in shock, he supposed. Angel thought he might commit suicide soon. He had done the one thing he vowed not to do. Since he’d pissed her off, his punishment was going to be worse than anything he could have imagined. Buffy was going to ignore him. Now all he could do as hope she’d realize that he had been the one to make the big discussion in all of this. But now that seemed to be ALL Angel had, hope.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Buffy walked away, sobbing lightly. She couldn’t think straight, but it was apparent to her that Angel didn’t care enough about her to not have to worry about cheating on her. Yet, a small voice somewhere in her head told her Angel was right. It would certainly be easier to go into college single, but still, Buffy knew they could have worked it out.

At the same time, the pissed off side of Buffy’s mind was telling her that what Angel had said was bullshit. Most likely, Angel was already out looking for some whore.

‘Yeah’, she told herself, ‘Angel is just being a sick bastard who wanted meaningless sex.’ Of course she still loved him though. And Buffy knew he had enjoyed having sex with her just as much as she had him by the multiple orgasms they’d both had. So, he couldn’t simply be looking for better sex, could he? ‘No’, Buffy repeated to herself, they had spent many nights together and NEVER did Angel once complain about her.

Buffy was confused, to say the least. So, when she reached 1630 Revello Drive, her home, she had gone right into bed, and cried the night away.

Now, looking back at that time in her life when Angel had left her, only two months earlier, Buffy was finally feeling a bit more confident about starting a new life at New York University (NYU). For she knew college experience in New York City would bring a whole new life for her on it’s own. Just one more week and her new life at NYU would begin. Just one more week...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drusilla had been living in England for over a year now. She had been living in the apartment nearest William’s mansion. William’s mother had been a very wealthy woman and when she died of cancer when William was only 6 years old, she left her husband and her son all her fortune.

That was also a check in the plus column for Dru. William would always have money. He wouldn’t even have to work much, if at all. She could be ensured a happy, financially stable... ah, what the Hell, RICH life. She knew William would never leave her. He was hopelessly devoted; it was true, which was kind of sad. William gave all of his attention to Drusilla. She was his everything. And... William was ALMOST her everything. Drusilla had never been the type to settle, but maybe given time...? Possibly, but as of now, HELL NO!

William had decided to go to a university in the US. New York University it was called. He was going because he wanted to be a ‘new person’. Dru knew universities were for smart people and to her, it sounded bloody boring. Yet, she was excited about living in New York City. She for one knew there were nightclubs EVERYWHERE! Maybe, she could even turn William into the perfect guy. Well, she’d find out what lay ahead in their future soon enough.