Author's Chapter Notes:
Yes, I know I'm evil. That won't be the last of it, either. Thanks for all of the reviews. This is the first time I've reached 200 in this site. I really appreciate it and I hope you guys like this chapter=)
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 21

“I know something’s wrong, Will. Spike wouldn’t just lie to me like that.”

Willow didn’t know what to tell her. “I’m sure he has a good reason.”

Buffy shook her head. “He’s doing something that he doesn’t want me to know about.” She thought about what he could possibly be up to. Her eyes widened as she looked at Willow. “You don’t think he’s seeing someone else, do you?” she asked worriedly.

Willow didn’t even hesitate before answering. “Of course not, there’s no way he would do that. Spike’s crazy about you, Buffy. Anyone can see that.”

Buffy started to feel tears in her eyes. She really wished she could believe that, but couldn’t be sure as of late. “How else would you explain it? I thought we were happy, but I don’t even know anymore. He’s been really secretive lately. Why would he act like that if there wasn’t someone else?”

Willow shrugged and really wished she could make her friend feel better, but she didn’t know how. Buffy would be devastated if Spike was involved with someone else. She didn’t want that for her friend and really hoped that it wasn’t true.

Buffy sat down on her bed.

Willow could clearly see the tears spilling from her eyes now.

“Maybe he’s finally decided that he wants someone older. Maybe I’m not good enough anymore.” Her voice trailed off and she buried her face in her hands.

Willow went to her side and rubbed her back in comfort. “It’ll be okay, Buffy. I’m sure of it.”

Buffy raised her head after a few seconds. “I love him so much, Will. I can’t lose him now. He’s all I have,” she whispered as the tears continued to fall.

Willow wrapped her arms around Buffy and let her cry on her shoulder. Her heart breaking for her best friend.


* * * * *


“I can’t believe that’s what he’s been up to. Buffy has no idea?”

Harmony shook her head after she finished telling Dawn about what she knew. She had to tell someone, after all. “He’s not ready for her to know. I think it’s really stupid if you ask me. He should just tell her and get it over with. Lying to her will only make things worse.”

Dawn agreed and still couldn’t believe that her sister was actually being helpful. “So, what do we do?”

A smile lit up Harmony’s face. “I think all three of us should take a trip to the mall. Spike would never expect it.”

Dawn smiled as well and had to agree with her again.

It was about time Buffy knew the truth.


* * * * *


“Guys, I really don’t feel like shopping right now,” Buffy told her sisters as they all entered the Sunnydale Mall later that day.

“Okay, you are so not normal. How could you not feel like shopping?” Harmony wondered in shock.

Buffy rolled her eyes.

“I think it’s a good idea, Buffy. It’ll help you take your mind off of whatever’s bothering you,” Dawn said.

Buffy let out a sigh. “Fine, but I don’t have to enjoy myself. I guess I should get started on my Christmas shopping.”

They agreed and headed to the center of the mall, where they were sure to find a certain bleached blond.


* * * * *


Buffy sighed for the millionth time as her sisters continued to stop at a bunch of stores that had no interest to her. Harmony just had to look in Victoria’s Secret and she was trying on a few of the lingerie there. Buffy was looking at all of the clothes around her that she would never be caught dead in. Dawn was browsing in the music store and Buffy just wanted to be anywhere else.

“All right, we can go now. Unless there’s anything you’re interested in,” Harmony commented with a grin.

Buffy had a disgusted look on her face. “A world of no.”

Harmony shrugged and put back the lacy thong that she was holding. “Suit yourself, but I’m sure Spike would love it.”

Buffy tried not to cry at the mention of her boyfriend. She hoped that he was still her boyfriend, anyway. “I just want to get out of here,” she said and walked out of the store.

Harmony sighed and followed after her.

They both soon found Dawn outside the pet store and staring in the window, knowing how she could be around animals.

She smiled at them when they walked over. “They are so cute. We really need to talk Mom into getting a puppy.”

Harmony rolled her eyes.

Buffy had to smile at her younger sister’s excitement. “I don’t think she would go for that, Dawny. You remember the hamster incident?”

Dawn looked ashamed. “That was an accident. I was eight then, I wouldn’t make the same mistake twice. Besides, a dog is too big to fit in the vacuum cleaner.”

Buffy shook her head and put her arm around Dawn, turning back to the puppies in the window. “Do you remember Miss Kitty Fantastico?”

Dawn paled at that and pulled away from her sister. “Okay, shut up,” she mumbled.

Buffy figured that she proved her point. “I just don’t think we could risk a puppy.”

Dawn rolled her eyes now and knew that her sisters would never let her forget how bad she was with pets. She was just a kid then. She was allowed to make mistakes.

Harmony just wanted to get away from the smell of the animals. “We know they’re cute, but we really should get going now.”

Dawn nodded as she let Buffy pull her away from the dogs.

They finally headed to their last stop and knew that Buffy would get a surprise.


* * * * *


“Aren’t we a little old to see Santa?” Buffy asked later as they waited in line to see the jolly man himself.

Dawn shook her head. “You’re never too old for Santa. Trust us, Buffy. It will definitely be worth it.”

Buffy didn’t know what she was talking about. She just shrugged and watched as the little kids sat on Santa’s lap and told him what they wanted for Christmas.

There was finally one more little girl in front of them and Buffy rolled her eyes as the child told Santa what she wanted. Basically she wanted everything from a toy car to a pony. Buffy was just glad that she was never that spoiled. The only thing she ever asked Santa for in the past was one of those dolls that looked and felt like a real baby. She always liked to play house and dreamt about the family she would have when she was older. Buffy sighed at the memory, then came back to reality when it was their turn to go up. She stopped suddenly when she got a good look at Santa.

His eyes bulged as he seemed to recognize her as well.

Buffy would know those blue eyes anywhere.

He looked even paler as she said the word that he dreaded.

“Spike?”