Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 26

Buffy left her last class and headed to her locker, suddenly stopping when she spotted Riley in the distance. She felt a rush of fear go through her, then turned and walked in the other direction. Buffy knew that she was probably just being paranoid, but didn’t want to take any chances. She went the long way to get to her locker and sighed in relief once she finally reached it. She really wanted to get home. Buffy opened the locker door and gulped when she saw another rose in there, and this one was already dead. Her hands were shaking when she grabbed the paper that was also inside. She took a deep breath before reading the note. He will never love you like I do. Buffy didn’t know what to think and dropped it to the floor. She closed her locker and turned around, only to bump into someone. She noticed that it was Riley and felt her hands tremble again.

“Are you okay?” he wondered.

Buffy tried to stay calm as she answered him. “I...I’m fine. I need to get home now,” she said and moved around him, quickly making her way out of the school. Buffy felt relieved once she made it outside, but the relief didn’t last. Her arm was jerked suddenly and she was pulled behind the school, where it was pretty deserted. She was about to scream, until that same person placed a hand over her mouth.

“There’s no need for that. I won’t hurt you.”

She couldn’t really place the voice, but it didn’t sound friendly.

“I’m going to remove my hand now, but you have to promise not to scream. You understand?”

Buffy only nodded as the hand was taken off of her mouth. She then turned around carefully to see who her stalker was. Her jaw nearly dropped when she finally recognized him. “Warren?” she claimed in shock.

A creepy smile lit up his face. “Sorry if I scared you, I didn’t know how else to get you alone.”

Buffy was really confused. Warren was one of the geekiest guys in school. He was great with Science and always got teased by the popular kids. She stood up for him once last year when a few of the jocks were tormenting him. He hardly said anything to her since then. She finally spoke after being quiet for at least a minute. “What are you doing? Are you the one that’s been following me around?” She had to be sure, but he only ignored her question.

“Did you get my necklace? I see you’re not wearing it.”

That was all the answer she needed. “Okay, this is crazy. You can’t just get me an expensive gift like that. You don’t even know me. I have a boyfriend and you’re just making both of us uncomfortable.”

Warren’s gaze darkened at that. “What? That Billy Idol wannabe? You think he could ever get you something like that? He’s not good enough for you. We have something special, Buffy. I felt it when you helped me with those jerks. You wouldn’t have done that if you didn’t care.”

Buffy felt like laughing if the situation wasn’t so serious. “That’s what you’re basing this on? I did it because I’m a nice person and I don’t like to see anyone get teased like that. I would have probably done it for anyone. That was a year ago, okay? I’m sorry to hurt your feelings, but there’s nothing between us. I don’t even really know you. I think you just need to let it go and find someone else.” She was about to walk away, but Warren grabbed her arm and pushed her against the wall.

“I won’t believe that. We’re meant to be together. I can feel it and I know you can, too. I’ve seen you looking at me in class sometimes. What we have is real and I’m not about to let you go.”

Buffy tried to push him away, but wasn’t having much luck. He was stronger than he looked. “You’re hurting my arm.”

He loosened his grip a little, but still wouldn’t release his hold on her.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about. This is some sick obsession of yours. It could never be real. Let go of me,” she said in a surprisingly calm voice.

Warren wouldn’t listen. “I love you, Buffy. I’ll make you feel it.” He then grabbed her tighter and pulled her closer to him, planting a hard kiss on her lips.

Buffy was beyond grossed out and finally managed to shove him away from her. She wiped at her mouth and tried not to gag. “You really are a freak. I never believed what anyone said about you, but now I’m starting to see it. You have some serious issues. Stay the hell away from me,” she spat and started to walk away again, only to have him grab her by the hair and slam her back against the wall.

“I will have you, bitch!” he yelled, pure anger on his features.

She didn’t know what to do.

He started to slip his hand under her shirt.

Buffy tried to get away from him. “Don’t touch me!”

Warren slapped her hard across the face to shut her up.

She touched her stinging cheek and stared into his cold eyes.

“I don’t like to be told what to do,” he stated and continued to grope her.

Buffy was too scared to do anything else, when Warren was suddenly ripped away from her.

“I don’t believe the lady wanted you to touch her.”

Buffy had never been so relieved to see Riley.

Warren glared at both of them. “This isn’t over,” he said, then took off running in the other direction.

Buffy then felt tears start to blur her vision. She wiped her eyes before Riley could see.

“Are you okay?” he repeated his question from earlier.

Buffy nodded. “I just want to go home,” she whispered and couldn’t stop the tears from falling now.

Riley nodded as well and led her away from the school. “Yeah, I’ll take you.”

Buffy didn’t say anything else as she followed him to his car.

Riley let her in on the passenger side, then got in on the other side. He started the car and drove to her house.

The only words Buffy spoke were the directions. She really needed Spike.