Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 30

New Year’s passed and it was soon Buffy’s seventeenth birthday. She always had bad luck with her birthdays in the past, and made her mother promise not to give her a party this year. She just wanted a quiet birthday and didn’t want anyone to make a big deal, but Spike wouldn’t have that.

He got Joyce and everyone else involved, making sure that Buffy knew nothing about it. A young girl only turned seventeen once. He took her out to the movies, so everyone at the house could get things ready.

The movie ended about two hours later. They walked out of the theater, hand in hand, both with confused expressions on their faces.

“Well, that was very artistic,” she said to break the silence.

Spike agreed. “Yeah, that it was.”

“It wasn't what I expected. I've never actually seen...Well, from the title I thought it was about food.”

“Well, there was food,” he replied.

Buffy nodded. “Right, the scene with the food. That was…That was very interesting. I definitely won’t be looking at food the same way again.”

Spike laughed this time and brought her hand to his mouth, giving it a soft kiss. “I promise to take you to something with less food next time.”

She smiled and continued the walk in silence. Buffy spoke up again when she realized they were headed to her house. “You know, it’s still pretty early. I don’t have to go home yet.”

Spike shook his head. “You’re the birthday girl; I shouldn’t keep you out too late. You should spend at least some of this day with your family.”

Buffy was a little suspicious, pulling on his arm to stop him. “You’ve been acting weird today. There wouldn’t happen to be a surprise party or anything, would there?” she wondered with raised eyebrows.

“Now, why would I do that? I know how much you’re against it.”

Buffy snatched her hand out of his and crossed her arms over her chest. “I’m not buying that. If there’s a party in there, you’re not getting sex for at least a week.”

Spike almost believed her. “Well, it’s just a risk I’ll have to take.” He grabbed her hand again and continued the walk to her house.


* * * * *


“Surprise!” Everyone yelled once Buffy and Spike entered the house.

Buffy put on a smile and acted surprised, then turned a glare on Spike that she tried to hide with the smile. “You are so dead.”

He just gave her a kiss on the cheek. “Love you, too.”

She smiled for real now, then went to join her family and friends. Buffy saw that Cordelia was there, along with Xander and Anya. Riley was there as well. He was talking with Harmony and Buffy smiled again. Harmony decided to go out with Riley a few weeks ago, and she actually liked him. They were still dating and Buffy was happy for them. She hugged Tara and Faith, who decided to leave the farm to be there for her birthday. She was surprised that everyone managed to show up, realizing that surprise parties weren’t all that bad.


* * * * *


Buffy was about ready to open her presents, everyone gathering around her.

“Open mine first, Buffy,” Connor said, pointing to a white box.

Buffy wondered why he was so eager. “This won’t explode, will it?”

He just shook his head.

Buffy took a deep breath and opened the box, frowning at what was inside. It was some skimpy lingerie that left nothing to the imagination.

Spike was concerned when he saw the expression on her face and got a closer look at what was in the box. He then smacked Connor on the head, wiping the smile off of the boy’s face. “What’s the matter with you?”

Connor rubbed his head. “Jeez, it was just a joke. You people really need to lighten up. I stole it from my sister. She has tons of slutty lingerie. The real present is underneath.”

Buffy rolled her eyes and handed him back the lingerie, looking to see what else was in the box. She found a pair of fuzzy socks and tried not to laugh. “Thanks, you can never have too much socks.”

Connor was pleased that she liked it.

Buffy then put the box away and went to open another present.

Dawn scowled at her boyfriend. “Why do I put up with you?”

He shrugged. “Because you love me.”

She rolled her eyes. “Yeah, I need to have my head examined.”

Buffy was tuning them out and just continued with the presents. She received a nice blouse from Willow, and some make up from Harmony and Cordelia. She wasn’t sure if she should take that as an insult or not. Harmony did say she could always use some color, but was perfectly fine with just her lip gloss. Buffy gasped when she got to Anya’s present. It was a book of different sexual positions and what to do to please your lover. She blushed bright red.

Spike couldn’t help the smile that graced his lips at the gift.

“What is it, honey?”

Buffy hid the gift from her mother’s gaze. “Just a book of poetry,” she said quickly.

Joyce seemed to accept her answer.

Buffy was also relieved that her mother wasn’t in the room when she opened the lingerie. She really needed some new friends.

Joyce then went back into the kitchen to join Giles.

Xander looked at her apologetically. “Sorry about that, Buff. I tried to talk her out of it.”

Buffy gave him a grateful smile. “I appreciate the effort.” She finished opening the rest of the presents and loved all of them, thanking everyone for the gifts.

Spike handed her an envelope.

Buffy was confused as she took it from him.

“This is also from Tara and Faith,” he told her.

The two girls smiled and watched Buffy open the envelope.

Buffy was even more confused when she saw that it was a picture of a horse. The horse was very beautiful, no doubt about that. She was white, with brown spots all over her. “What’s this about?”

Tara decided to be the one to tell her. “This is Drusilla; she’s a new addition to the farm. She’s also yours.”

Buffy was surprised and glanced back at Spike.

He still saw the confusion on her face and decided to explain better. “I bought her for you, love. Tara and Faith will be taking care of her at the farm, but she’s your horse. You can see her whenever you want.”

Buffy couldn’t believe what she was hearing and looked at the picture again, then back at her boyfriend. “You bought me a horse?”

Spike nodded and hoped that it was a good idea.

A smile then lit up her face as she got up to hug him. “Thank you, Spike. I’ve always wanted a horse,” Buffy claimed and pulled out of the embrace, staring back at the picture of her new pet. “She’s so beautiful.” Buffy also thanked Tara and Faith. “Can we see her tomorrow?” she asked Spike.

He smiled and brushed some hair out of her face. “We can do whatever you want, sweetheart.”

She hugged him again. It looked like her curse of bad birthdays was finally broken. This was one that she definitely didn’t want to forget.