Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Chapter 36

“Buffy? God, Buffy,” Spike said in awe and hugged the young woman to his chest, tears falling down his face. “You’re awake,” he whispered, pulling away after a few seconds. He had to be sure that she was really back with him. He caressed her cheek and noticed that she looked really confused.

“Where am I?” she wondered softly.

“You were shot, baby. You’re in the hospital. You’ve been asleep for the last two weeks, but you’re back now.”

Buffy gave him a small smile. “I heard you calling.”

Spike was relieved that she did hear him.

“You were hurting.”

He nodded and glanced down.

She then grasped his hand in hers.

He raised his head to look back at her.

“It’s going to be okay now.”

Spike hugged her again and flooded her face with kisses. He never wanted to let her go. “I’m so sorry.”

She shook her head. “It wasn’t your fault, Spike. I don’t want you to blame yourself.”

Spike nodded again and pulled away to stare at her. It would be hard for him not to blame himself, but he felt better knowing that she didn’t.


* * * * *


Everyone was fussing over Buffy later that night.

Spike called to let them know that she was awake and they all immediately rushed over to the hospital.

The doctor had to usher them out of the room after a while, so Buffy could get some rest.

Spike was the only one that remained with her. He was lying next to her in the small bed.

She had her head resting against his chest.

Spike just finished telling her a story and the soothing tone of his voice put her to sleep easily. He looked down at his sleeping angel and placed a kiss on the top of her head, soon following her in slumber.


* * * * *


Buffy was released from the hospital two days later.

Spike was pushing her in the wheelchair.

“I don’t even know why I need this. I’m perfectly capable of walking.”

Spike shook his head as a smile formed on his face. God, he missed her. “It’s hospital orders, love. I’m sure you can walk fine on your own. I tried to talk them into letting me carry you, but they wouldn’t have it. You won’t need the chair once I get you home. I can carry you around everywhere if you like.”

Buffy laughed then.

It was music to his ears.

“Thanks for the offer, but I think I can walk.”

Spike shrugged, even though she couldn’t see him. “Suit yourself, but you’re not stopping me from carrying you up the stairs. Don’t want to risk you falling.”

Buffy didn’t even argue as they finally reached his car.

He helped her in and folded up the chair, putting it in the back of the car. He then got in on his side and was soon headed for home.


* * * * *


“Welcome back!” They all yelled once Buffy and Spike entered her house.

Buffy smiled at the fact that everyone she loved was there. She hugged her mother first, then the others. She smiled at Spike after she made all of her greetings.

He smiled in return.

It was really great to be home.


* * * * *


Spike headed back to the hospital a few days later. He had someone that he needed to see. He went to the desk in the lobby and waited for the woman sitting there to notice him.

She finally looked up and gave him a smile. “Can I help you?”

He nodded. “I’m looking for someone. His name is Matthew, not really sure of a last name. He’s a cancer patient here. I wanted to know what room he was in.”

The woman glanced at her chart, then back up at him. She now had a sad expression on her face. “You’re probably talking about Matthew Hayes. Were you a friend of his?”

Spike nodded and figured that he was. “I only met him a few times. He gave me some advice recently and I just wanted to thank him for it.”

The woman took a breath before she spoke again. “I’m sorry to say this, but Matthew passed away last night.”

Spike was now saddened by this news. He knew that Matthew probably didn’t have long by the way he was talking, but didn’t realize it would have been so soon. He only gave the woman a small smile. “Thank you,” he told her and was about to walk away, but her voice stopped him.

“Matthew’s parents are having a memorial service for him tomorrow afternoon in Restfield Cemetery. I just thought you would like to know.”

He nodded. “I’ll keep that in mind, thank you again.” Spike turned away and left the hospital, deciding that he would pay his respects. It was the least he could do.


* * * * *


Spike walked to the cemetery the next day, Buffy right by his side. He told her about Matthew and she decided to go with him.

They were standing in the back and watched the people that loved Matthew place flowers on his casket.

Spike noticed an older couple crying, the man holding the woman close to him. He had a feeling they were his parents.

Buffy gave his arm a squeeze, knowing what he was thinking.

Spike then walked over to the couple. He placed his own flowers on the casket that he picked up earlier, then turned to address Matthew’s parents. “Excuse me; are you Mr. and Mrs. Hayes?”

They looked up at him.

“Yes, we are. Did you know our boy?” Mr. Hayes wondered.

Spike nodded. “I met him at the hospital when I was visiting someone close to me. He helped me realize a few things and I was very grateful for that. He was really brave. I know that he loved you both very much.”

Mrs. Hayes cried even harder now.

Her husband rubbed her shoulders. “Thank you, son,” he said.

Spike nodded again and watched them both walk away.

Buffy joined him and grabbed his hand, speaking up after a moment of silence. “I wish I could have met him,” she said and in a way, felt that she did know him.

Spike gripped her hand tighter. “He was a great kid. Too young to die, but I know he’s in a better place.”

Buffy wrapped her arms around him and pressed a kiss to his cheek. “Let’s go home, Spike.”

He nodded and let her lead him out of the cemetery. Spike knew that Matthew was in a better place now. No matter what happened, he would never forget him.