Author's Chapter Notes:
I've got the whole story finished, but seeing as how this is a new place for me, I'm just gonna post the first three chapters, see if anyone reviews, and go from there.
“Really?”

“Of course. Why would I tease you about something like this?”

“Let’s see… Maybe because you hate me?”

Cordelia sighed. “Buffy, he’s gonna ask you out. He even told me. Now go talk to him!”

Buffy walked down the hall towards the boy. “Hey, Angel.”

“Buffy,” he replied, grinning. “I was just about to look for you. I have a question.”

She smiled sweetly. “Yes?”

“Well, I was wondering if you’d like to, ah, you know the dance on Saturday?”

“Yeah, I helped organize it,” Buffy said slowly, liking where this conversation was going.

“So, I wondered if maybe you’d like to WAKE UP!!”

“What?”

~~~~~*~~~~~

“WAKE UP!”

Buffy sat up in bed. “Dawn?”

“Yeah, duh. It’s time to get up. You’re gonna be late if you don’t.”

“Oh my god! First day of school, how could I forget?” Buffy cried, jumping out of bed and running to her closet.

Dawn rolled her eyes and went downstairs, following the scent of pancakes.

~~~~~*~~~~~

“So, Buffy Summers, how does it feel to be a high school sophomore?”

“Well, I’d say it feels pretty darn good. I know the campus, I know the teachers, I know the students, and I’m not among the youngest anymore.” Buffy replied, laughing.

“And Miss Willow Rosenburg. What do you have to say about our current topic of conversation?”

“I say that Xander Harris is being weird and needs to cut the announcer voice,” Willow said.

Everyone laughed. Willow and Xander had been Buffy’s best friends since preschool. They went to Sunnydale High, just like all the other kids in the small town.

The trio walked up the steps into the school. On their way to the lockers, they passed Cordelia, the biggest, most popular “bitca” in the school, and her Cordettes, as her friends were so politely called.

“Oh, look. It’s the loser patrol,” Cordelia said, stopping her progress down the hall. “Willow, honey, where did you get that dress? I have to know, so I can remember NEVER to shop there.” The Cordettes giggled. “And Xander, what is your fashion malfunction? Did you like, dive headfirst into a pile of—“ she stopped, looking past Buffy and her friends at something down the hall.

“Oh. My. God. I really have to get me one of those.” The Cordettes all looked were she was looking and gasped. Cordelia looked back at her minions and said, “Since I’m the president of the Welcoming Committee, you guys stay back and I’ll talk to him.”

They turned around to watch Cordy marching boldly in the direction of some new boy. The all made gagging faces and walked down the hall.

“Hey guys!” Willow cried as they reached the lockers. “I almost forgot. I have presents.”

“Oooh, presents,” Buffy said.

Willow handed her and Xander little boxes. Inside each was a little letter-beads bracelet that said “Official Scooby” in multi-coloured letters.

“I made those ‘cause we’re the Scoobies, and we should have, like, special badges or something that tell everyone that.”

“Aw, Wills, how sweet,” Buffy cooed.

“There nice, Willow, but how am I gonna keep my rep as man of the campus wearing beads?” Xander stated.

“Hey. Don’t be a spoilsport. Put on the bracelet,” said Buffy, hitting him in the arm.

At that moment, the bell rang. The Scoobies broke up and said their goodbyes, heading off to their respective classes.

As Buffy walked into her first classroom, English, the first thing she saw was a really hot bleach-blond guy, all dressed in black. She took in deep breath and then let it out when she realized that Cordy had probably already called dibs on the guy and would get really mad if Buffy interfered.

So she walked to the back of the classroom and took a seat in the far corner. The boy, Buffy noticed decided to sit in the front row. Very uncommon for a new kid.

Buffy was relieved when the bell rang to get out of class. She’d had a hard time focusing on anything because of the new kid. She rushed out of class and ran headlong into Riley Finn.

“Hey, Buffy. In a hurry?”

“Oh, I’m so sorry. I was just trying to, you know, go meet the guys before the next class. So much to tell them,” she babbled nervously.

“After the first class?” Riley asked doubtfully. “Anyway, Buffy, I was wondering if you’d come to Homecoming with me.”

“Yeah, that would be great!” she said happily.

He smiled. “I won’t keep you from your friends any longer.” He walked off down the hall.

Buffy walked over to her locker with a silly grin plastered on her face. “Hey guys, guess what?” she said as she reached her buddies.

“We’ll never guess, so why don’t you just tell us?” Xander said.

“Ok, I will. Hot new boy in my English class, and riley asked me to Homecoming!” she said excitedly.

“Oh, wow, Buffy! That’s awesome!” Willow cried.

“Riley? You’re going to Homecoming with Riley?!” Xander said incredulously. “Excuse me while I go puke.”

“Xander!”

“What? He’s the biggest, stupidest, most annoying—“ Xander gulped. “ingenious, brilliant player on the school football team. Hey-a Finn, how’s it going?”

Riley had walked past the group during Xander’s rant and had stopped to listen. He glared and walked away.

“See what I mean?” Xander whispered. “Lame-o. Lamer than me, even.”

“Wow. I didn’t think that was possible. Did you, Willow?”

“Nope.” The girls walked away.

“Hey! Come on!” Xander called after them, racing to catch up.

The group split up again further down the hall, Willow and Xander to English and Buffy to Math.

Buffy freaked when the bell rang, not wanting to be late on her first day. She started running, unfortunately not seeing who was coming in the opposite direction and crashing headlong into him.

“Oh, I’m so sorry, I seem to be doing that a lot today,” she said, bending forward to pick up her books.

“Right. Well, watch where you’re going next time and you won’t make that mistake,” came a British voice from beside her.

She looked up to see intense blue eyes looking down at her from, oh no, the new kid.

“I really am sorry,” she said.

“Whatever, luv.”

The bell rang above their heads. The new boy sighed and looked at her angrily. “Now look what you’ve done. I’m going to be late now.”

“Hey. It was an accident. You’re not the only one who’s gonna be late now, so don’t you get snippy with me, buster.” Buffy stood up and glared for a moment before stomping off toward her next class.

stupid, mean, rude, annoying, evil, cranky, yummy, hot, sexy, NO! her brain screamed at her. he is not hot or sexy or yummy, he is really really rude and we shouldn’t ever talk to him again. hope he fails all his classes and never ever gets a date to any of the dances ever and gets rejected by every girl ever and a thousand million people are rude to him and—

Her mind carried on like this throughout her entire math class.