Author's Chapter Notes:
Some video-game violence toward the end. Depends on your idea of graphic, really... (my favourite chapter, personally. review!) *note: those of you who noticed my screw-up, I have majorly edited the entire conversation to fix it. ick. sorry!
Buffy and Dawn sat at the kitchen counter eating breakfast on Saturday morning. Joyce had made her famous pancakes, saying that every mall-shopping girl needs a filling first meal to keep her on her feet during the long hours.

“So, girls, how was the first week of school?” she asked expectantly. Both sisters answered in unison with a passive shrug. “Oh, come on. Don’t tell me that nothing note-worthy happened?”

“Oh, well, Morgan said her sister’s pregnant, Sara broke her leg yesterday in the hall, and there’s this new boy in my science class that is sooo totally hot, AND he’s my lab partner,” Dawn said, emphasizing the bit about the hot guy.

“And what about you, Buffy? Anything exiting happen to you?” Joyce pressed, ignoring the comment about the irresponsible Clement girls.

“Not really. There’s this new guy who moved in from England, cousin of the delicious Liam Angel. But he’s way annoying. I hate him. He has some weird punk name, like, Spike or something,” Buffy replied rolling her eyes. “But he seems to be getting along fine with Xander and Willow. I am sooo glad that it’s Saturday and I don’t have to see him again ‘till Monday.”

“Well, maybe there’s something going on in his life that makes him seem annoying.”

“His mom died, but Angel says he was always obnoxious to begin with.”

Joyce gasped. “Oh, the poor boy!”

“Yeah, Buffy, how can you be so mean to someone whose mom died?” Dawn asked, stabbing her pancake with her fork.

“He’s been totally rude to me all the time since we met. Anyway, I’m just happy he’s not going to be at the mall today,” she replied, finishing her milk.

“Oh, speaking of the mall, we should really get going so you’re not late.”

“Sounds awesome,” Buffy said, dumping her plate in the sink and walking out to the car.

~~~~~*~~~~~

“Hey guys!” Buffy said, seeing her friends walking over to the pizza place. She smiled brightly and hurried toward them, stopping when she saw who accompanied them.

“Hey Buffy!” Willow said happily.

“Hey, Buff, hope you don’t mind that we brought the Bleached Wonder along. We just thought we’d show him the sites,” came Xander’s welcome as he noticed the frown on her face when she saw their bleached companion.

Spike punched Xander in the arm. “Shut up, Whelp,” he said good-naturedly. “Hello, pet. Up for some girly shopping fun?” And cue smirk.

“Shut up, Spike.”

They walked into the pizza place and sat down at the gang’s favourite booth. “So, what does everyone want? Pepperoni? I assume Spike’s buying,” Xander quipped.

“Not on your life, Harris. I’m too cheap to pay for you lot to eat,” he drawled back, getting up to order anyway.

When he was safely out of hearing distance, Buffy glared at the two accusingly and whispered, “Why the hell did you have to bring him?”

“Well, Buff, you might hate him for some twisted reason, but Willow and I happen to like the guy,” defended the brunette.

“He’s not that bad, Buffy. I mean, just get to know him. I know you’ll like him,” Willow calmly remarked.

“Talking about me?” Spike said waving a steaming pizza above their heads.

“You wish.”

“That’s too bad, luv, ‘cause I’m the one who’s paying for your lunch.”

“Who said I was eating any?”

“You did just as we were coming in.”

“Well, maybe I lied.”

“I wouldn’t be surprised.”

“Jerk.”

“Bint.”

“Moron.”

“Cheerleader.”

“Ass.”

“Loser.”

Willow and Xander watched the exchange between the two blondes like a very fascinating tennis match. It was only when things were looking to get ugly when they finally stepped in.

“Jerk-off.”

“Bi-“

“OK, I think that’s enough, you two,” Willow cut Spike off.

“Yeah, as entertaining as this is, I don’t think the guy who owns this place is gonna be happy if the two potty-mouth bottle-blondes scare away all his customers,” Xander said.

“-tch,” Spike finished defiantly. He sat down and smirked, passing out pizza to everyone. His smirk turned to an annoyed frown when Buffy didn’t touch the food on her plate. “What? I paid for that, you know. Least you could do would be to take one bite.”

“I said I wasn’t eating any,” Buffy replied, turning her head to the side.

He ran his fingers through his hair frustratedly; biting his tongue to prevent asking her rudely what bug had crawled up her ass and died. “What part of me is it that gives you a problem, luv?”

“All of you,” she said, not looking at him.

ouch, Spike thought. never thought I’d ever let a girl like that’s opinion get to me. He sat quietly and finished his pizza, while Willow and Xander shot concerned looks across the table.

~~~~~*~~~~~

After lunch, the guys headed over to the arcade, and the girls went on over to the stores to look at Homecoming dresses.

“They’re having Homecoming a little early this year,” Willow commented, holding up a light pink dress.

Buffy winced and shook her head. She looked through a rack of blood red dresses. “Yeah, but it’s alright. anyway, I already got a date.” She held up a dress.

Willow put the pink one back on the rack and pulled out a different dress and handed it to Buffy. “I still don't get why you're going with Riley."

“What's wrong with it?” she asked, tossing the dress to the side and looking at a pale yellow one.

“I thought you guys broke up, though.” Willow stated, taking the yellow dress from Buffy and throwing it onto a stool. “It makes your hair look green.”

“We did, it’s just a harmless dance. And it's not like I'm planning on getting back togehter with him.” She looked at the red “dress” Willow was holding up. “How much to get to know you?”

The redhead rolled her eyes at Buffy’s not-so-veiled disgust. She picked up a bottle-green dress and a sky-blue one and walked over to the dressing room. “You really should think about it, Buffy. I mean, what does that imply to Riley? That you want him back. What does that imply to everyone else? That you’re back together. It’s not too late to cancel on him.”

“I know, but I want us to be friends. And anyway, I was a little flustered when he asked me, so I couldn’t help saying yes.”

“You shouldn't be going with him, anyway. Sorry to sound broken record, but it's just a bad idea. Things can be misinterpreted."

“Hey, who was the one who was saying it was so great I was gong with him?”

Willow paused. ”Because I knew it would gross Xander out if I acted like it was awesome. I was gonna tell you off later, but I got distracted."

“Lame excuse.”

Buffy picked up a pink dress and eyed it carefully, holding it up to her body before deciding that it made her skin look too red and putting it back on the hanger.

“You should go with Spike.”

“What?!” Buffy dropped the dress she was holding. “Where have you been all week?”

“Hey. Best friend here,” Willow said, coming out of the dressing room. She wore a gorgeous green dress that really brought out her eyes, which were currently twinkling with mischief. The dress had a tiny lace trim on the sleeves, skirt and neckline, and tied in the back with a chiffon sash. “I know it’s just a bad case of UST that keeps you two fighting.”

“Ewww.” Buffy wrinkled her nose in revulsion. “That’s gross. And that dress looks awesome on you, by the way.”

“You think so?” Willow went over to the mirror. She smiled at her reflection. “Anyway, I don’t think Spike has a date to the dance. It would be nice to go with him.”

“I don’t see that happening, Wills.”

~~~~~*~~~~~

Xander and Spike were playing Attack of the Zombies in the arcade when Spike brought up the subject of Buffy.

“Why do you think she hates me so much?” he asked, throwing a right hook at Xander’s zombie.

“I dunno. I mean, she’s never been so uptight about a guy before.” Xander countered his attack and did a spinning kick to Spike’s zombie’s head. “You ever wondered why they make the zombies on this game so athletic?”

“I was kinda thinking about the reason why they have two zombies fighting each other. If I was a zombie, I’d be out looking for brains rather than beating on my fellow dead man.”

“Good point. You know, you should probably go out and look for a brain anyway.”

“Ha ha.” Spike punched Xander’s zombie’s head right off. Blood spurted everywhere and Spike was declared the winner.

“This is a violent game. Maybe we should stop playing,” Xander commented, slipping another quarter into the slot.

“I mean, it’s not like I ever did anything to her to make her hate me so much,” Spike said, doing a backflip to avoid the other zombie barreling into him. “You’re right. These are athletic zombies.”

“Yeah, but if you do too many fancy tricks, your parts fall off.” Xander improvised by tearing a streetlamp up and throwing it at Spike, successfully knocking his zombie’s head off. Unfortunately, the head flew backwards and bounced off the wall into Xander, knocking his off. The screen was covered in blood as the words “Game Over” flashed on the screen.

Spike fed the machine a quarter, laughing at the other boy’s dumbstruck look.

“That wasn’t fair!”

They started up the game again. “You should stop trying to analyze girls, man. It only leads to headaches and angry females screaming at you for talking about them behind their backs.” He ran Spike’s zombie through with a pole.

Spike tore out the pole and threw it spinning straight through Xander’s head. he laughed as Xander pounded the machine, crying “Cheap shot! Cheap shot!”

“Have anymore quarters, Harris?”

“No, I think you beating me at a game you’ve never played twelve times used up all my change.”

“I think you’re right about the girls thing, Whelp.”

“Of course I’m right. I grew up with those two. Still don’t understand ‘em.”

“Let’s go fetch our women and go home. All this ass-kicking has tired me out,” Spike smirked.