Buffy didn’t see her friends again until lunch. By that time she was feeling better and not so upset about that new kid. She walked into the cafeteria with a smile on her face and got her lunch. She was the first one of her friends to get to the table, due to the fact that her last class was pretty close to the lunchroom. After a minute, she saw Willow and Xander coming. She waved as they neared.

“I think this stuff is toxic. I mean, look at it. It’s all gray and-“ she stopped when she saw who they had with them.

“Hey, Buff. Let me introduce you two. Buffy, This is Spike. Spike, Buffy,” Willow announced. “Spike’s new, he’s gonna eat with us today.”

“I’ve already met him.”

“You have? That’s great!” Willow smiled happily. “He must be that new guy in your English class that you were talking about.”

“Yeah.”

Spike smirked at her. “At least you seem to have slowed down a bit.”

Buffy rolled her eyes. “Ha ha. You’re such a comedian.”

Xander looked up from stuffing his face. “Oooh, I sense some tension.”

“Ya think?” Buffy snapped. She got up from the table and stormed off.

‘Jeez, what’s eating her?” Spike said, turning to his lunch.

~~~~~*~~~~~

Buffy stomped down the hall, mind reeling. She was so caught up in her thoughts, in fact, that she didn’t notice anything around her until she stomped right into someone.

“Ow!”

“Oh, sorry!”

Angel smiled. “Where were going in such a hurry that you couldn’t see someone right in front of you?”

“I’ve been doing that a lot today. I was preoccupied. Sorry,” she said, wishing she could melt. This was Angel, dream guy, popular hottie that every girl in the school was after. She was so embarrassed.

“No problem. You wanna say what’s on your mind?”

They walked outside and sat down on a bench.

“Well,” Buffy started nervously, “there’s this new guy. He’s really annoying, and rude, and he’s in there eating lunch with my friends.”

“Let me guess, bleach-blonde British boy? Ah, there’s an alliteration. Sorry,” Angel said, smiling.

“Yeah. How’d you know?”

He sighed. “Spike’s my cousin. His mom died, so he came to stay with us, see how he liked America.”

“Oh. Now I feel kinda sorry for him.” Buffy looked at the floor. “I can’t imagine how he must feel.”

“If you’re thinking that’s the reason he’s so obnoxious, you’re wrong. He’s always been like that. Now he just uses his whole ‘orphan’ status as an excuse.”

Buffy sighed. Then she sat straight and looked at him. “Orphan?”

“Yeah, his dad died when he was a kid. He’s had some pretty hard luck, family gone, getting dumped, having to move some place where the prettiest girl in the school thinks he’s annoying…” Angel trailed off, remaining stoic towards the off-hand compliment he gave her.

Buffy blushed and looked down again. poor guy. maybe I should be nicer to him. I mean, if my mom died, no matter what I acted like on the outside, I’d still be really sad on the inside. and, he doesn’t have any friends here, I don’t really think Angel’s the sort to show him around campus and help him make friends… but then, I don’t think he really needs the help. he made my friends easily enough. who does he think he is, anyway? just ‘cause he’s hot, wait, no, just ‘cause he thinks he hot, which he most definitely isn’t, wait, what was I thinking again? something about that ass of his? wait! ew! no! he doesn’t have a hot ass! who said anything about a hot ass? not me! By this time, Buffy was thoroughly confused. All she knew was that she definitely didn’t like the new guy who wasn’t hot and didn’t have a sexy accent and a nice ass and cool hair. ‘cause he wasn’t any of that. And she knew that she had never been so happy to have the bell ring to go to class.

~~~~~*~~~~~

“Hey!” Willow shouted over the loud music. Buffy looked where her friend was waving. oh no…

Xander smiled. “How’d you find the place?”

Spike smirked. “The Bronze is pretty much the only place in town, you know. Not that hard to find.”

Willow laughed.

“Aren’t you going to say hi, Buffy?” Spike said, leaning down over her and smirking.

“Hi, Buffy.”

“Ooh, smart aleck.” He grinned and sat down by her.

“Go away.”

“What ever for? Me and you, we both know what you really feel for me.”

“Contempt?”

Spike put his hand over his heart with a mock-hurt face. “Oh, that was below the belt, luv.”

Buffy rolled her eyes.

Xander was watching a blonde girl who was sitting over by Cordy. “That’s the new girl, Anya Jenkins.”

Willow made a gagging face. “He’s been talking about her all day. Driving me insane.”

Buffy giggled.

Spike eyed the girl with a raised brow. “She’s alright. Nothing particularly good about her, she’s alright.”

The girls looked at Spike. “What? I’m just saying that there are better-lookin’ girls around here.”

“Right. Then name one,” Buffy said.

“You.”

“Excuse me?”

“I’m not asking to bed you, I’m just sayin’ you look better than her. Example. There’re quite a few girls better lookin’ than her, you only asked me to name one.” Spike backpedaled frantically, while trying to seem like he had planned the whole conversation.

“Whatever.”

Angel came up to them. “Hey Buffy, you wanna dance?”

“Poofter, what’re you doin’ here?” Spike asked.

“Piss off, Spike.”

Buffy glared at Spike a moment. “I’d love to dance, Angel.”

They walked over to the dance floor together.

“I’d love to dance, Angel,” Spike mocked in a high-pitched voice. “Huh. If she knew...”

“Knew what?”

“I’m gonna ask her to dance,” Xander announced, walking over to Anya. The pair seated at the table watched in interest as the boy walked up to Anya and asked her something. They were both amazed when she smiled and stood up. And apparently, Xander was, too.

“Who’d’ve thought the Whelp had it in him?” Spike remarked softly, watching them walk to the dance floor. He turned to Willow. “Dance with me. We’re the only ones left, might as well join the fun.”

She smiled shyly. “Ok.”

They stood up and joined the gyrating throng on the dance floor.