Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, the story continues. PLEASE review and let me know what you think.



They started to walk again. Buffy continued to hold onto Spike's hand. She laced her fingers around his and he held her tightly. Aside from the moment before she left him at the Hellmouth, this was the first time they ever really held hands, like a real couple. It was nice, except for the fact that they were in a sewer.

The rest of the walk was made in silence. Neither really knew what to say. Buffy really wanted to tell him everything that had happened to her since that day but she couldn't do that until she told him what she knew about where he was. Finally, they made it out of the sewers and into the basement of the Hyperion. Before they climbed the stairs to the lobby, Spike stopped them.

Spike: Do they know why they're here?

Buffy: No. I didn't want to say anything until I knew for sure. Kinda didn't want to get anyone's hopes up.

Spike, sarcastically: I'm sure they'll all be really excited to see me.

Buffy: They will. Besides, it doesn't matter what they think. After...after what happened, I told them everything. I told them what happened between us those last few days. The way you found me in that abandoned house and stayed with me. About Angel and the nights I spent with you in the basement.

Spike: You told them all that?

Buffy: Yes.

Spike: But you didn't have to. I was gone. There was no reason to risk your friends over me.

Buffy: It was my choice. I owed you that much.

Spike: You didn't owe me anything, luv.

Buffy: I still owe you, for everything you've ever done for me and never got anything in return for it.

Spike: I never expected anything from you for what I did to help.

Buffy gave him that 'oh please' look.

Spike: Ok. I never expected anything from you after I fell in love with you. After that, it was all about making sure you were safe.

Buffy: I know, and thank you. I love you.

Spike: Are you going to tell me every five minutes, luv?

Buffy: If I can.

Spike: Good. I love you, too.

He takes her in his arms and gives her a passionate kiss. They stay in that embrace for a while. They knew they wouldn't be able to do that for a while once they get upstairs. They're going to have a lot of explaining to do.

Buffy: Are you ready to see them all again?

Spike: As I'll ever be.

Buffy: Ok. Let's go.

She takes his hand again and leads him up the stairs to the lobby of the Hyperion. Once they get to the top of the stairs, Dawn calls out to her. Spike is still hidden behind a wall.

Dawn: Buffy! Where have you been? Did you find what you were looking for?

Buffy: Yeah. I did.

Dawn: Well?

Buffy: Where are Willow and Xander?

As soon as she had asked, both Willow and Xander stepped out from one of the office rooms connected to the lobby.

Xander: You rang?

Willow: We're right here. Why? What's going on?

Buffy: I know I dragged you guys here without really telling you why, but...

She had to pause. How was she supposed to tell them about Spike without completely shocking them?

Dawn: Buffy?

Buffy: You know I was having those nightmares about the battle with The First, right?

Willow: Yeah. Is that why we're here? Is The First..?

Buffy: Yes, that's why we're here. And no, it has nothing to do with The First. You see I finished the dream and realized what it was trying to tell me. And that's why we left Cleveland to come back to LA...to get him.

Xander: Who?

As if on cue, Spike stepped out from behind the wall he had been hiding behind. Buffy still had her hand in his. The others just stood there in shock. Were they really looking at Spike? The same Spike that had died saving the world? None of them could say anything. So Spike did.

Spike: Hi.

He spoke. They couldn't be dreaming if he could actually speak and they all heard him. Dawn, Willow and Xander just stared at him for a while longer, then they turned to each other and shared some confused and questioning glances.

Buffy felt a little uncomfortable just standing there, and Spike was wondering how long it would take them to let it sink in. Then Dawn spoke.

Dawn: Spike?

Spike: It's me, Dawnie.

Dawn: Spike? You're alive?

Spike: Well...

Dawn: You know what I mean! You're really here?

Spike: Yes.

She did the only thing she thought she could. She walked up to him and gave him a nice right hook to the jaw. Buffy looked shocked.

Spike: Hey!

Buffy: Dawn!?

Dawn: Why did you do that?

Spike: Niblet, I did what...

Dawn: You just stayed there and let Sunnydale fall down on top of you!

Spike: I had to.

Dawn: No you didn't!

She started to cry and Buffy let go of Spike's hand so he could give Dawn a hug. She held onto him very tightly. After a few long moments, she reluctantly let go of him.

Spike: It doesn't matter anymore lil'bit. I'm back.

Xander: And how exactly? And why does he get to be the one who comes back?

Spike: What?

That's all Spike needed right now-lip from the whelp.

Buffy: Xander.

Xander: What? I'm just asking what's on all of our minds. Aren't you the least bit curious about how he came back?

Spike: Actually, I am.

Xander: I wasn't talking to...What do you mean?

Buffy: Xander, I'll explain everything, but he doesn't remember what happened to him.

Dawn: But how are you going to tell us if he didn't tell you first?

Willow: Because that's what she's been dreaming about. Isn't it?

Buffy: Yeah.

Xander: What were these dreams about exactly?

Buffy: Let's go sit down. This is going to take a while.

They all notice how Buffy takes Spike's hand again as she walks over to the couch in the center of the lobby. Xander was going to say something but Willow put her hand on his shoulder and silently told him to back off. They all take a seat on the couch or on some random chair they found in one of the offices.

Buffy didn't seem to care that all of her friends were staring at her, cause she held Spike's hand out there for them to see. Even as she talked, she would occasionally look down at their entwined fingers, drawing even more attention to them.

Spike: So, luv, what happened after the Hellmouth?

Buffy: Where do I start? Ok. I'll just tell you my dream as best I can.

Spike: Alright.

The others just listened, never interrupting with questions or peanut gallery commentary. They wanted to know as badly as Spike did, and Buffy wanted to finally get this out of her system.

Buffy: The first thing I saw was me running out of the Hellmouth. That much I knew happened. But then I saw you, and I heard you talking to yourself. You said you wanted to see how it ends. And you started to smile, and laugh. The next thing I knew, you were burning. Your face started to turn red, then parts of your face caught fire, and eventually you just turned to dust and fell to the ground.

She had started to cry as she relived that scene. Without caring what the others would think she instinctively pulled Spike closer to her and he wrapped his arms around her waist to comfort her as she told this tale.

Buffy: But it didn't stop there. I saw beyond that. After you...after you turned to dust, there was a flash of light where you were standing. Even though you were a vampire, you still had a soul. And that soul was sent to the only place where it belonged.

Spike listened to her as she explained what happened. He looked almost worried about where this tale would lead him but he needed to know. He figured he would go to Hell. He was a vampire after all. Even though he had a soul, he didn't expect anything else. But he needed to know where he went and he needed to know how, and why, he was sent back.

Buffy: Your soul was sent to Heaven.

tbc




Please review!