Buffy was sitting at her kitchen counter the following morning, staring at the cloudy day, thinking that it perfectly mirrored her life. The night before, they’d been attacked again. Not even 24 hours after those stupid vampires. This time it had been fyarl demons. Lots of them, and they didn’t need an invite. The living room was in shambles. They had a hell of a time trying to find a way to block the sun the following morning. Considering it hadn’t gone to well, it was fortunate the day was overcast; they’d have to go to the hardware store later. Guess it was a good thing that Xander had gone in on this mission.

The fyarls had hit hard and strong, of course the fact that they were such a stupid breed meant that they had to fight each and every one of them; they didn’t understand the value of retreat. Of course, this had more repercussions than anyone had foreseen, especially Buffy.





Spike was in his room/closet thing that he was sharing with Peaches. Buffy didn’t really have a lot of vampire-friendly places in her home, so the two of them had been forced into the little room underneath the stairs. It was fine enough for one, but two – it was tight, not to mention he had to share the place with Angel.

He didn’t sleep very well. Aside from the large, hulking mass of Angel who snored (didn’t breathe, yeah right), he’d been thinking of Buffy’s parting words all night. “Angel you aren’t my true love.” According to the prophecy that must mean that it was him, right? Spike never in a million years would have thought that Buffy believed that he was her true love. They’d fucked sure; he’d loved her, still did if anyone asked, but in no way was he her true love. He had to convince Buffy that the fate of the world rested on this. She couldn’t push this idea in order to make up for the fact she’d treated him like shit in Sunnyhell, by picking him for whatever sodden thing the powers had in mind. Everyone knew that Angel was the one the bint really loved.

Even if she did have some lingering fondness, she loved Joe now. She married him, must have moved on. But still, girls don’t forget their first love; everyone is compared to them, even if he is a git. That’s why Spike couldn’t be the one the prophecy spoke of.

He should probably go and try to talk some sense into her. As Spike got up to leave, he cast a disgusted look at the poof, and walked down the hall. They might have made up, but that didn’t mean that the topic of Buffy was ever going to be a thing of the past for them.




Buffy felt him as soon as he walked into the room. She’d always known when he was around, even before they had any sort of relationship. Ever since that first night at the Bronze. She could feel him unlike any foe she’d ever faced, unlike Angel, unlike anyone. He was in her gut, in her throat; she’d been drowning in him before she’d even known him.

“He left” Buffy stated.
“Wot?” That was a bloody confusing way of starting a conversation.
“Joe, he left this morning. He said he couldn’t deal with the demons.”
“Left - as in he went to go clear his head, or left…”
“Left as in his side of the closet is empty and he’ll have his people call my people kind of way.”
“Oh, luv, I’m so sorry…” He left, he left! No, I shouldn’t be happy about someone she loves leaving her.
“Don’t. I understand why he left; if I’d been in his shoes I probably would have done the same thing….”






“Dear I have something that I need to say to you” Joe woke Buffy up.
“Joe, can’t we just talk in the morning, or well later in the morning?”
“No, there’s nothing to discuss, I just needed to tell you that I’m leaving.”
“What? Joe what are you…?”
“Dear, I’m sorry; I can’t live in a world where demons exist. I always thought that they were just stories that you told. Always thought that you should write them down, you’d make a small fortune, all that creativity. But now, I understand that they are real and I can’t accept that. Even though I know that they exist, I plan on forgetting about them. It’s just more than I can bear. I’m so very sorry, but I don’t want to live in a world where they are.”
“Joe…”
“It’s not just the demons Buffy, it’s me. I saw the joy on your face as you ki-killed those things. During those two battles, I saw you light up. You were the happiest I’ve ever seen you in the last 17 years. I love you so much and I thought that we had a wonderful life together, but I’ve never made you that happy.”
“Joe, you have to realize that…”
“No Buffy, you do. I’m not meant for this. I like to help people, but legally, not through brute force. The way you are, they way that you interact with these people, is something that I can’t touch. There’s always been a part of you that I couldn’t reach, a space in your heart that I knew, before we ever got married, that I couldn’t have. It belonged to that man out there and I understood it. You gave me so much, loved me so much, maybe not eternally and maybe not even truly, but you did. I can’t even begin to describe what that means to me. I’m a selfish man, dear. Maybe you’ve never seen it, but I am. But no amount of selfishness will erase the fact that you’ve been happier these last few days than our entire life combined.”

“Don’t get me wrong, Buffy, I am in no way blaming you, it isn’t your fault. I just can’t be where these demons are and well, never mind…I’m going and I love you.”
“Joe, wait – what else were you going to say? You have to tell me everything. You’re leaving me, I deserve to know that much” Buffy said slightly panicked. Another person leaving. Joe will be gone, and there isn’t a Spike to run to.
“You’re not ageing Buffy. I always just thought that I was lucky, having a wife that aged so beautifully, but I heard what you said to Spike and Angel, the fact that you can’t die. You’re immortal. I don’t think that I would be able to deal with that when I’m old and gray, especially when there’s a man out there who is just as immortal as you, and has your truly undying affection. I have to go.”
“Joe…” she started, but was silenced with one last kiss.






“Buffy, luv, you in there?”
“Sorry Spike, just thinking.” Shaking her head slightly, she stood up and asked, “Are the other’s awake, we need to get a move on this. We’ve got the prophecy, but we don’t know what’s what. We don’t even know where this is supposed to be going down, let alone how to stop it, not to mention that fact we don’t even really know what we’re stopping.”
“Buffy, do you need…”
“I need to focus Spike; figure out whatever it is that you and I are supposed to do to stop whatever it is that we’re…”
“Slayer, that’s something that I wanted to talk to you about.”
“What?” Please don’t let him rub my face in it. Yes, the Slayer's still in love with a vampire.
“Well, it’s just that…”
“Spit it out Spike!” Losing my temper here.
“You don’t love me!”
“WHAT!?”
“You and I are not the ones that are going to be stopping this ritual pet. It’s you and Captain Forehead.”
“I…I…Spike. It’s supposed to me who decides who my true love is. I’m obviously the only one that knows. It’s you and we have work to do.” He still doesn’t believe me. He didn’t believe me down in the Hellmouth, didn’t believe me at Wolfram & Hart, and doesn’t believe it now. He was supposed to know me so well. Be able to read me like a book, which was always what was so aggravating about him…but he still doesn’t believe me. I’d try to convince him, but he made it perfectly clear all those years ago what he thinks of me. I’m not laying my heart open again for him to tear apart.
“Buffy the fate of the world rests on this. Whatever you’re trying to prove isn’t…”
“I’m not trying to prove anything lunk head. It’s the truth, plain and simple. Following your plan of Angel and me, well that’s going to get the world very much blown up. You’re in my house, so you’re going to be following my rules. So get over yourself and start researching.” God, he’s so annoying! Buffy left in a swirl of long blonde hair.

Maybe she does…no, she couldn’t have loved me- not like that. And even if she did…which she didn’t…she’s in love with Joe (bastard). Any chance that I had was gone. Me and my big mouth, always spouting off, I thought I was doing the right thing…I guess I’d better round up the poof and get him to help me on this one, convince her he’s the one to do the mojo with.






They’d been researching for days, everyone was exhausted. Buffy even more so. She’d spent the time divided between training/patrol to get back in shape (which she’d done very well if asked), researching the demon and impending doom, grieving over the loss of Joe, and trying to fend off two vampires who didn’t believe in her choice of champion. God was she thankful when they’d finally pieced everything together. The faster that they solved this, the fast she could get them out of her house. She couldn’t handle the constant denials on Spike’s part or Angel’s insistence that he still knew what was best, namely that he should do the ritual with her.

This final fight would be the last thing for her. She couldn’t deal anymore. She was going to sell everything, travel the world, and try to find a cure for her immortality. She was looking for death, just a promise that she could one day have it. She knew that she couldn’t live forever with Spike being somewhere she wasn’t.

They’d lucked out when another section of the prophecy had been found. Apparently, Angel had been looking through the scrolls while getting ready one morning, and having dropped hair gel on the pages, stuck them together. The prophecy turned out to be the key to stopping Siyamak’s ritual.

Dawn’s sources at the Council finally came through. Unfortunately for them there were at least another fifty gateways to hell and anyone of them cold be used to start Siyamak’s apocalypse. Willow’s research indicated that thousands of years ago, when the world had yet to be populated by people, demons, pure demons, not the ones seen today, roamed the earth and the First was lord over all of them. Well Siyamak “one with dark eyes” was one of the lowest and filthiest creatures. He wasn’t trusted among the other demons of his kind or respected among any of the other ruling clans. So, the only thing that was important to him was attaining power. Massive amounts of it.

At the end of the Wiccan wars, when all the Old Ones were put to rest in the Deeper Well, Siyamak managed to escape. He had been badly wounded and in no way wielded the power he had once known. So he began thinking up plans to gain what he’d lost. Siyamak had waited thousands of years until finally he had his chance.

Buffy’s resurrection after her death at the Master’s hands (or fangs depending on the way that you looked at it) first rocked the core of the universe, but the scales finally tipped after she jumped off of Glory’s tower and dug her way out of the grave. The universe saw it as an affront to the natural order of things, first two such warriors existing at the same time and then a warrior of light being forced to dig her way out of the earth like a common demon. The First was able to use this to his advantage and make its presence known in this world, and while everyone thought that his focus had been the slayers he also sought out an old worshiper.

The First had been disgusted to find that all of his demons had been locked away by man and wanted to release his subjects. So it found Siyamak who had made no progress in finding truer power than that of a low-grade wizard. The First and Siyamak made a deal; if the First didn’t beat the slayers (which it was sure that it would, it in no way wanted this pathetic demon to have power) then Siyamak was to begin his ritual at the proper time which would ensure not only that the First would be in this plane and corporeal, but also seal a place for himself in the new order. The First would bring all demons forth and reign as though he’d never left.

“Well, we can’t let that happen” Buffy said dryly. What do we need to do? What does the prophecy say?” Angel began

“should true love unite
and blood flow, thick and red
and made by no blade alone
then the mouths shall close
the balance be restored
for all to see
there shall be no more"


“Ok, so…oh my God, I dreamt about this” Buffy exclaimed.
“Dreamt about what?” Willow asked, her eyes showing her worry.
“I don’t remember much, Joe woke me up before I saw everything” Don’t think of him. “But I remember something about blood, thick and red.”
“Well, Red and I figured out the prophecy, luv.”
“What is it?”
“Well, you and Angel…”
“YOU and me you mean?” Buffy said wearily. I’m so tired of this argument.
“Riiight. Well, you and I have to stand in one of Red’s mojo circles and, uh, I have to um, well, bite you, hard enough for blood to flow ‘thick and red.’ Once I’ve dran…ingested quite a bit of your blood then you have to slice my wrist with a blade. Our mixed blood has to then hit the circle and the hellmouths close permanently. Then…”
“Wait, hold up. What do you mean they close? Why the hell are they open?”

“That’s part of Siyamak’s ritual Buff” Xander interrupted “he’s got to open them all in order to give the First a chance to get here and be all corporeal.”
“So, shouldn’t we not let that happen? ‘Cuz, does anyone remember the last time one of these things were open? Let alone all of them?” Buffy retorted. Why me?
“That’s just it Buffy” Dawn came into the conversation “in order to close everything they have to open them first. That’s why timing is so critical.”
“Oh great” Buffy breathed out. This so needs to be over.

Buffy sat thinking all of these things out and trying desperately to ignore the looks the two vampires were giving her – both trying to point out Angel as the one she should go in with. Wait a second…

“Wait, ‘balance will be restored.’ Does that mean what I think it does? I’m the one that screwed up the balance, am I not going to be the slayer anymore, or well one of?”
“That is one side effect of this. Your presence allowed the First to enter this plane, or rather the presence of more than on slayer. So once this thing goes down, then you’ll be the only slayer, or someone else will be. The chosen line will once again run as it was supposed.” Dawn stated, hoping to not cause her sister too much pain. Even though Buffy would be glad to be done with the whole messy business, she didn’t want it to be such a terrible shock. It was officially the younger Summer’s job to take care of demons.

“Wow, guys, that’s certainly a shocker. I’ll have to deal with that later. Okay. One last question. Do we know where to go? There are lots of hellmouths to choose from.”
“Cleveland, the coven felt magical forces growing there and besides it’s the easiest for Siyamak to set up camp. No mountains to deal with like the other hellmouths, so it’ll be good for us too.” Willow supplied.
“Ok, I guess we’re going to Cleveland.







I promise there will be Spuffy soon! Thanks for all of your support. I appreciate all of the reviews, I love knowing what you guys think and all of your questions about where the story is leading. - Inara