Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry I'm not good with fight scenes...
“What? Spike, it’s me. Buffy.”

“Why do you persist in calling me Spike and acting as if you know me? I’ve never seen you before in my life!”

Buffy was startled by his outburst. He didn’t know who she was? He called himself William Morgan? Was this some type of amnesia? Suddenly she grinned recalling a Willow spell gone wrong. Spike had believed he was Giles’ son, Randy Giles. Was he under some kind of spell? She had to find the others.

“Spike, er, I mean William, come with me, we’re going to see my friends.”

“I don’t even know you!” William said exasperated. “Why should I go with you?”

“Do you know where you are?”

William looked around. “An alley?”

“What city?”

“Manchester?” Spike looked at her like she’d gone loony.

“No, you’re in London.”

“London? How’d I get here?”

What was he talking about? He didn’t even know how he got there. Must be the injury, she thought. She had to get him to Giles.

“Well, looky what we got here boys!” a voice said from behind them. “Dinner! A slayer and her boytoy for dinner. Gourmet Cuisine.”

Buffy and William turned to find four vampires circling them.

“Lovely, English Redneck Vampires. Just what I needed right now.” Buffy muttered under her breath.

“Wha…what are they?” William stammered.

“Vampires. Get out of the way!” Buffy pushed him behind her.

She dusted two right away, but the next proved to be harder. He dashed at her and avoided her stake by jumping to the left, and dealt her a punch in the jaw. She fell hard, but jumped back up and surprised him with her back kick, knocking him to the ground and dusting him. She turned around. The last vampire was attacking Spike. She watched for a second as Spike tried to beat it off with his fists and failed miserably. He hit the ground and the vamp pounced.

This was the guy who had been her right hand fighter? A hero? A feared evil vampire – wait…he hadn’t known what a vampire was! Had he forgotten that too? And where were his fighting skills…those weren’t things you forgot. Weren’t they instinctive or something?

She got to them just as the vampire was about to bite Spike and dusted her. Spike took her offered hand.

“Thank you for saving me. I thought vampires were legends. Are we safe now?”

“You honestly don’t know what a vampire is? Let me see your mouth.”

“My mouth?”

“Just do it.”

She checked his mouth and saw no fangs or signs of them. Then again, the fangs shrunk when reverting to human form – right? Was he human again? How could that be? An effect of the medallion, maybe? Buffy sighed. “You had better follow me William.”

For once he made no protest.

William felt completely helpless. “Like that’s new to me, “ he thought. His mother had been slowly dying from tuberculosis for years now, his poetry had yet to be appreciated, and Cecily would have nothing to do with him. He was useless - unlike the girl next to him.

His first thought at waking up to see her face looking down at him was “Dear God, what beautiful vision is this?” It was only a minute later that he realized she was as unfamiliar as the place he was in. Something about her tugged at his memory but try as he might he couldn’t put his finger on it. Apparently she believed she knew him too, but kept calling him “Spike.” Who was this Spike character anyway?

Her fighting skills were unbelievable. Rather ashamed at his own fumble, William marveled at her resolve and knowledge. What had the vampire called her? A slayer? What did that mean? He was full of questions. He glanced at Buffy. One thing was for sure. Until he figured out where he was, it would be better to stick with her and accept her help. She didn’t seem to mean him any harm and he didn’t know how to fight vampires. She wasn’t hard on the eyes either. William blushed at his last thought.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Giles, Willow, and Xander were sitting at a table at The Phase watching Faith and Dawn dance. Robin was due to meet them soon. “I wonder where Buffy is?” Xander asked.

“I see her now,” Giles said gesturing toward the entrance. “There’s someone with her.”

Everyone turned to look and gasped.

“Holy…” said Xander.

“Spike!” Willow exclaimed.

William eyed Buffy’s friends warily. They were certainly an odd looking group. There was a sullen looking, one-eyed man who looked about Buffy’s age, an older man with thinning hair and glasses who looked at him intensely, and a bubbly young redhead who had just greeted him with that name again. Did this Spike of theirs resemble him so?

Buffy cleared her throat. “Uh guys, Spike doesn’t remember us or how he got here. He says his name is William.”

“William Gareth Morgan” William supplied.

Hmm, is it some kind of amnesia?” Giles asked.

Buffy nodded. “That’s my guess.”

Just then, someone flew into William’s arms. Surprised, he found himself looking into the eyes of a pretty little brunette.

“Spike! You made it! I knew it! What took you so long to come back to us? We’ve all missed you so much, especially Buffy. She cries eve-“

“Dawn, that’s enough! He has amnesia and doesn’t appear to remember us.” Buffy said sharply.

“Is that true?” Dawn asked William.

William felt regret when he saw the hurt look in her eyes - just like the one in Buffy’s eyes. “I’m sorry Niblet, but it is true. I don’t remember you. My name is William.”

She looked at him sadly. “That’s what you used to call me, Spike.”

William addressed the group. “Why are you all assuming I’m your Spike bloke and that I have amnesia? I could just look like him.”

They all glanced at each other, then at Buffy, and all shook their heads.

“Hey B, we see you finally joined in –” Faith stared as did Robin who was behind her.

“Spike!” they both shouted.

William sighed. He’d have to hear them out.

They had all decided it would be best to hold a Scooby meeting in Buffy’s apartment. After they had all gathered around the kitchen table with mugs of hot cocoa (they were going to need the caffeine it seemed), Giles questioned William.

“What did you say your name was?”

“William Gareth Morgan of Manchester.”

“In what year were you born?”

“1852. July 10th.

“What is the last thing you remember?”

“I was trying to talk to Cecily Underwood. She snubbed me and I walked off. Suddenly I met a pretty brunette named Drusila and she said she could give me everything I wanted – power, strength, manliness - I followed her and after that I don’t remember anything until I woke up in the alley. I felt very weak and needed assistance so I called for help and Buffy came.”

At his words, Buffy and Giles exchanged worried frowns.

Buffy continued softly. “William, what year do you think it is?”

William snorted, acting remarkably like the Spike she knew. “Why are you asking me these crazy questions? Everyone knows it’s 1880.”

“What’s your favorite food?”

“I don’t know. Dumplings maybe, why?”

“Not blood?”

“Blood? What manner of man are you? Do you drink blood? Is it something they do here in London?” William was confused.

His companions had grown silent.

“William, that’s good enough for now” said Willow finally. “Why don’t you get some sleep? You’ve had a long day. Xander will take you to the spare bedroom.”

She looked at Buffy for consent.

“Yeah William, go get some rest” Buffy agreed, smiling at him.

“But my mum…”

“She probably believes you’re still at the reading. You can call her tomorrow, she’s probably asleep right?”

William nodded and walked off with Xander.

They stared at each other in silence. This was something none of them had expected. Spike was back, but not the Spike they knew. This was William Gareth Morgan of Manchester, the man Spike had been before becoming a vampire. William the Bloody Bad Poet.

“So then is it anterograde amnesia? He doesn’t remember anything after the Cecily putdown?” Willow asked.

“I’m not sure. We should do some research. I have a doctor friend I can consult.” Giles replied. “In the meantime, lets try to keep him from knowing too much about where he is or what he was. It might unnecessarily alarm him or worse.”

Everyone concurred and left for home. Buffy gazed upstairs. Maybe she should check on him. He wasn’t her Secret Weapon Spike anymore – he was only William.