I figured I'd be extra nice and post ch 8 tonight too...since last chappie was all angsty and poor Spike seemed to get the short end of the stick!









*Banner By Ariel Dawn*
Thanks AD! Hugs~Opal

Story Dedicated to Meli!
Thanks for being a great Beta. Hugs~Opal



Chapter 8 - Road Trip









Buffy stared out the window as they drove away from Sunnydale. She was lost in her thoughts about Spike. She wondered if she had made the wrong decision not to trust Spike or hear him out.

The more she thought about it, the more she realized the truth of the matter had nothing to do with Spike. She was afraid of making a bad decision, such as trusting Spike to hold his son, then vamp out, and take his life. If that scenario played out that would only mean Buffy was a very, very bad mother.

The realization dawned on her that it would be utterly ridiculous that Spike would hurt his own flesh and blood; after all, he took care of crazy Drusilla all those years. Spike took care of his, and William was one of his own.

After miles on the road, and time in her own head she decided she had truly wronged Spike and was being a bad mother by keeping William away from his dad. ‘Damn it, I just can’t win.”

William had fast fallen asleep once they had been on the road for a while. Riley had been quiet. The only noise was coming from the CD player, which had one of Riley’s homemade CD’s popped in it. As much as she was not into Journey, as she listened to the words, she felt like they applied to her.


I’m finally out in the clear and I’m free
I’ve got dreams I’m livin’ for
I’m movin’ on where they’ll never find me
Rollin’ on to anywhere
I’ll break away, yes I’m on my way
Leavin’ today, yes I’m on my way
Just when you think you had it all figured out
Runnin’ scared can change your mind
I never knew I had so much to give
How hard times can fool ya
Oh I’m okay, I’m alright
Feelin’ good out on your own
I’ll break away, I’ll break away tonight
I’ve got dreams I’m livin’ for
I’ll break away
Yes, I’m on my way
I’m leaving’, leavin’ today
Yes, I’m on my way
This is my escape
Yes, I’m on my way
I’ll break away
Yes, I’m on my way


In that moment, Buffy saw things clearly for the first time. She had wronged Spike and she needed to make her escape to him. It had been so long since he had given any real reason to fear him. He offered at one point after the spell ended to do anything for her.

Buffy had laid out one goal of her big plan. Escape to Spike, the vampire she had misjudged and wronged. Unfortunately, she was not sure how she was going to do this and there was still Maggie Walsh to deal with. ‘Shit, Riley’s taking me to Iowa. Spike will never find us there. We’ll need him to help with Maggie.’

Buffy sighed as she thought her big plan might have been thwarted before it began. Riley heard her sigh, and was surprised she was even awake.

“Hey Buffy, you alright?”

“Yeah, I’m fine.” She replied nonchalantly.

“No, you’re not fine. Spill. Tell me what’s up?”

“Well, Riley, as much as Iowa would be a nice place to go, don’t you think that will be the first place Walsh sends men to look for you.”

“You are right Buffy. I kinda thought about that, and really, it did not make sense. I figured you were sleeping so I didn’t wake you to tell you that I changed our plan.”

“It’s ok. So where are we heading on our road trip?”

“I was thinking either LA or Vegas?”

“Well if we go to Vegas we can get lost in the crowd easy.”

Riley nodded at Buffy in agreement. He had thought of Vegas for the same reasons.

“And if we go to LA, we can get help from Angel.”

Riley shook his head at that reasoning. He had not thought of LA for that reason; he had not gotten beyond big city, easy to get lost.

“Ok. Maybe we won’t go to LA.”

“Riley, I know Angel is by far the last person you want to see. You need to remember now you are also running from the Initiative, which means you’re going to need protection too.”

“I don’t like it, but you are right.”

“I also think I should have given Spike a fair chance too. We could really use his help too.”

“What? Are you crazy? He doesn’t have a soul.” Riley replied, with his voice slightly raised.

Buffy just let his response roll down her back. At one time, she would have cared what her friends thought of her wanting to deal with an unsouled vampire. Such prejudice could cost her son, and she was not willing to pay that price.

“Riley, I remember the way he fought to protect Drusilla. He did it with absolute love and devotion.”

“So, your point is Buffy?”

“My point is that he more than likely is going to do the same for his son. This child is a miracle for him. A miracle I know he can appreciate, even as an evil unsouled master vampire.”

“I don’t agree, but it doesn’t look like I’m going to change your mind. Besides, my intentions here are not to keep you away from friends but to protect you. I’m still not convinced thought that Hostile 17...”

“Spike. His name is Spike, also known as William the Bloody.”

“…Ok. I am not convinced Spike will be a safe bet. Since Angel is a safe haven for us, we should have Spike meet up with us in LA under Angel’s roof.”

Buffy laughed at that thought. Angel was going to have a hard enough time dealing with the fact that she was the mother to Spike’s child. On the other hand, Riley had a very valid point. If for some slim chance, Spike did not stand up to the occasion, Angel could handle him.

“Well then, looks like we are off to LA.”

****

Spike counted his blessings that vampire stamina came in handy for more than nightlong sessions of romancing a woman. He had made it to his Desoto in less than five minutes. Still, it was in the opposite directions they had driven. He supposed that they had a ten-minute start on him, tops.

He started the Desoto and pulled it out from its hiding spot. Luckily, he would not need to panic about how to find them. His link to William was an innate GPS device. Since William was still a baby, he did not know how to control it. That meant anywhere and anytime, Spike would be able to find his baby boy.

As he pulled out onto the highway, he noticed that Riley had started out driving to the west, when they suddenly changed direction towards LA.

LA was where Peaches was living now. Great. If he did not have enough crap he had to deal with, he would have to deal with his sodden grandsire. At least he knew that Angel did not like the soldier boy one bit.

When it came down to it, he was glad they were going to Peaches. If Buffy was not open enough yet to let him get close enough to defend their son, at least Angel would do it. Angel would feel the family obligation.

‘Gee, what is Peaches going to do when he smells me all over little William?’ Spike thought. He laughed, as he drove on into the night, trailing behind Riley’s car far enough that the soldier boy would not be able to see the headlights.







Song is Escape by Journey (Circa 1981/83)

Yeah! Buffy is finally seeing the light...y'all were so patient in waiting around for it. So time for you to feed my muse and leave a review! Cheers ~ Opal