Chapter 4



Buffy struggled to sit up

“You okay babe?”

“I need to pee…baby is sitting on my bladder…”

She padded back into the bedroom

“Spike – who’s downstairs?”

“Willow, why pet?”

“I could hear snoring – I just wondered…why did she stay?”

“Coz she looked really tired, and I said just crash on the sofa if you like – and she did”

“I don’t remember coming to bed – I don’t remember falling asleep!”

“That’s coz I carried you up”

“Hmm…my hunky vamp…cuddle me?”

Spike turned to face her

“You got it babe…you rest pet – try and get some sleep hmm?”

“I’ll try, but just as I’m going to drift off, the little slugger starts with a knee or an elbow in the – OW!”

“I felt that! Hey son, don’t go hurting your lovely mum!”

Spike put his hand lightly on her bump and he quietened

“See, he knows his daddy has spoken!”

“Hmm mm – do you know what I fancy?”

“Besides me you mean?” Spike asked with a grin – this made Buffy smile too, she kissed his forehead and whispered ‘always’, and then she said,

“Fresh raspberries, strawberries and peaches in a big bowl with vanilla ice cream – hmm, yummy”

“I’ll see what’s at the supermarket, in the morning pet”

“Might not want it then!”

Spike leant up on his arm, and looked down into the face of his beloved wife

“Want me to go out and find an all-night supermarket, I think there’s one on the way to Merryvale”

“You’re SO sweet! No baby – let’s just snuggle”

Spike settled and pulled her close wrapping his arm around her, where she fell asleep in an instant.

******************

“Gassenbeeks – oh god, this doesn’t bode well” Angel said

“Why, what do they do?” Gunn asked

“They most likely want Buffy’s baby, this is what we’re thinking anyway – because of the numbers of them” Giles said

“How many have you seen?” Angel asked frowning

“Personally, none, but Faith said –

“Hundreds”

“Faith – hi!”

“Hi…just seen a load more by the Dreamy Slumbers, put them with the amount I saw at the park, and I reckon we could easily be talking a thousand here now”

Angel frowned and gave a low whistle

“They mean business then”

“Well obviously, yes – they’re not dispatched in those sorts of numbers for nothing” Giles said, thinking no wonder Spike got annoyed with Angel at times, he really could be a prat sometimes…

“So what does Buffy think about things, huh?”

“She doesn’t know – she’s eight months gone, she doesn’t need the worry”

“You mean you haven’t told her – boy, is she going to be-“

“Angel, the girl is eight months pregnant, with a couple of legions of Hellion minion slaves after her child, we’ve done all we can to protect her, we’ll work on things as a need to know basis”

“Is there a protection spell on the house?”

“Yes”

“Tell Spike not to leave her on her own”

“He doesn’t, Angel, I’ve just told you, we’ve done all we can to protect her so far”

“Tea up…right folks, pick your book – we’re looking for Gassenbeeks – how to kill them”

********************


Giles’ elbow slipped off the table, he knocked the glasses half off his face. Quickly he straightened up and put his glasses straight, but everybody else was the same, fast asleep. He looked at his watch and then heard the shop door rattle, it was 10.10 am

“Er, hold on…I’m sorry, we’re not going to open to-“

“Giles, let me in, it’s me!”

“Willow ah, um…” Giles quickly unlocked the door and let her in.

“How are things?”

“I did the spell, and provided Spike with an orb, if anything DOES get in the house, all he has to do is break the orb and it will put a protection bubble around them both for four hours or just Buffy for eight”

“Good girl” Giles took off his glasses and yawned

“Did you get anywhere with the – oh goodness!”

“Huh, wha – I’m up mom! – What oh, hi Will, Giles, must have dozed off there for…oh everyone else is asleep too!”

Xander sat back in his chair, rubbed the crick in his neck and yawned.

“Any luck?” Willow asked Giles, who busied himself in the little curtained off area that was the kitchen

“No…and Faith said she saw a lot more at the Dreamy Slumbers too last night – she reckoned that there could easily be a thousand of them here already”

Willow frowned

“Giles! We’ve got to DO something!”

“I KNOW – that’s why I’ve got Angel and co here – what else can we do?”

“I think we’re going about this all wrong” Both Willow and Giles turned and looked at Angel

“So what do you suggest then?”

“Well, it’s no use trying to kill them, there are millions of them – you kill one, another two will come in it’s place – no, I think what we should try and find is what ritual they want the baby for”

“That’ll take FOREVER! Do you realise just how many rituals call for innocents – virgins, babies, first born. Thousands, I’ve got tomes a foot thick on the very subject – dozens of them - there’s probably thousands we don’t know about too”

“Granted – well can we narrow it down to a time limit then – say three weeks time, when she’s due to give birth?” Angel suggested

“Angel, some infants are cut out of the womb, and –“

“GILES!” Willow looked horrified

“Sorry Willow, I’m sorry – it’s worth a try I suppose”

“We could also try and find the chief Hellion – no doubt as these Gassenbeeks are their slaves, he’ll know something about it all”

Giles looked thoughtful and shrugged

“We can try”

*****************


Spike got up, he was a little miffed that Willow had already left, he wanted her to sit with Buffy – or at least be in the house with her while he did a dash to the supermarket – but she’d already gone. Spike looked at his mobile. No missed calls and no texts either. Sighing he phoned the Magic Box

“Thought you were going to keep me informed!”

“Sorry Spike, but what can I say, there’s nothing to inform you of really”

“Might have know, you’ve got that bunch of useless wankers with you! So, research has pulled up nothing?”

“As Angel said, it’s not enough to kill them, as there are millions of them – so we’re trying a different tack, we’re trying to find what ritual it could be as regards time – anything that coincides with the baby’s birth, or the chief Hellion himself”

“Well if you find the bastard, leave him to me, I’ll rip – okay, I’ll see you later, bye”

Buffy padded down the last few steps

“Sounds violent”

“What does pet?”

“You wanting to rip somebody”

“Oh take no notice of me…just bluster you know – keep trying to think of myself as the Big Bad”

“Instead of a big puddle of soon to be a daddy goo!” Buffy said cuddling up.

“Why don’t you go back up to bed, and I’ll bring you some breakfast, what do you fancy?”

“Cocoa pops…but dry, I’ll drink the milk separate…and um, can I have a dippy egg and toast soldiers?” Spike dropped a kiss on the top of her head, thankful she’d forgotten all about her middle of the night fancies for fresh fruit – it would have meant a trip to the supermarket and Buffy being left on her own.

“Course you can poppet, now go back to bed!” Buffy gave him a squeeze and went padding back upstairs.