Chapter 2


“………Whole attitude is sloppy, I don’t know what Wesley is teaching you, or not teaching you, but you missed a third of those hits and quite frankly, I - I – Dear Lord!”

Faith looked up and saw Giles take his glasses off and he began to clean them fit to rub a hole through the lenses…

She sat up and grinned

“What happened to you?”

“Giles, something has broken into the shop – I just happened to be passing and I thought I saw a flashlight, I checked the main front entrance, that was fine, but when I went around the back, there was this pixie type thing
who asked me what I thought I was looking at – anyway, he raised his arm, drops a loud banging smoke bomb thing, and disappears”

“Faith, go change, come on, we’re going to the shop” Giles began to pack up his training kit.

Faith rolled her eyes and stood slowly.

“Well get a move on!” Giles chastised her

She still didn’t quicken herself and Xander and the watcher watched while she casually sauntered over to her clothes and sports bag. She wasn’t shy, that was for sure, and stripped off her training tee, she was naked underneath, and both Giles and Xander turned away as one. This made Faith smile – prudes they were! She wasn’t ashamed of her body, why should she be – she was toned and fit………

“Ready…so Xander…what exactly did this ‘pixie’ look like?”

“Well, it had brown skin, well brown-ish, kinda warty…hooked nose, long pointed ears that stuck out - about four foot high…”

“I have some books back at the shop, hopefully Xander you can look through them and show us just who we are dealing with”

*************************

“Still no good?”

Giles looked exasperated as Xander closed the fourth book.


“Looked nothing like anything in this book” Xander said.

Faith blew out her cheeks, she was thoroughly bored, teetering on the back two legs of her chair drumming restless fingers on the table – she fancied a drink, and she wanted a cigarette and OUT of the shop - being cooped up drove her mad – it was a carry over from being in prison…

“Can I go patrol – I’ll come back here in an hour, see if boom boy here has come up with anything – or you never know, I might just get lucky and cop the demon whilst patrolling”

Giles looked at his watch, it was 10.10pm.

“Yes go on, come back here after doing a sweep of the Peacefield, the Restful Vale and the military cemeteries – see if we have any news”

Faith was out the door before you could blink.

“Here, try this, and if there’s no joy with this one, then…we’re either dealing with something new, or you’ve got a lousy description of the demon in question” Giles said, passing Xander the last of the huge tomes on demonology. Ten minutes later, an excited Xander pointed to the book and said,

“That’s it, that’s the nasty little blighter, him there!”

Xander triumphantly pointed to an engraved drawing of the beastie he encountered behind the shop.

Giles quickly came and leant over Xander’s shoulder and began to read.

“Oh dear”

Xander looked up at Giles

“What, huh? – Why oh dear – is it bad, huh? Is it?”

Giles took his glasses off again and pinched the bridge of his nose and said,

“I’m afraid it is…you had an encounter with a Gassenbeek – they are first cousins if you like to Hellions, and their presence usually means trouble with a capital ‘T’.

“Is Faith up to it?” Xander asked

Giles looked down at Xander

“She’ll HAVE to be up to it, we can’t go bothering Buffy now can we?”

“No, course not…we could always get, you know – thingy to help”

“Thingy”

“Angel” Xander said reluctantly

“Yes well, lets not panic before we –“ Faith came bowling into the shop at full pelt before Giles could finish his sentence.

“GILES – MAYDAY – HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF PIXIE THINGS!”

“Oh dear lord, just what I was afraid of – Xander, you get on the phone to Wolfram and Hart, tell Angel we need him here like yesterday”

“Where did you see them Faith?”

“In the park, I cut through on the way back from the military cemetery.”

“They didn’t see you then, coz of the distinct lack of… ’boomy-ness’ “ Xander said, circling his finger in front of his face to indicate being blown up.

“Oh I did, I encountered three of them, I figured I could ‘take them’ – and they just disappeared, downwards, into the earth, vroosh – gone”

Xander frowned, opened the tome and pointed to the picture he’d shown Giles.

“Is that them?”

“Five by five – they stink too” Faith said, wiping her nose on the back of her hand and frowning.

“Giles said they’re related to Hellions, like first cousins. I wonder why they went underground on you, and blew me up?”

“It depends on what you’re standing on” Giles said reading from another book.

“Oh?”

“If you’re on soft ground, they just sink into the earth at the blink of an eye – if they’re on hard ground, like when YOU encountered them Xander, they have to create a diversion to get away – have you phoned Angel yet – time is of the essence here if we want him here before dawn”

“Oh terrific, just my luck! – I’m right on it – what’s the number?”

“Speed-dial 4”

“That’s Pizza Express”

Giles frowned

“Try 5 then”

“Okay………Harmony is that you? – We need Angel”

“Oh…Oh no. Oh dear Lord NO!” Giles clutched the book he was holding

“What is it?”

“This doesn’t look good at all!” Giles said with a worried frown, continuing to read.

“What doesn’t, what’s it say, huh?”

“They are usually only dispatched in any sort on number for a specific quest, to find an item, thing or being, usually highly prized.”

“So lock up your valuables!” Xander quipped

“…Thing most highly prized, such as an INFANT of rare birth”

“Rare birth – what does – oh god, they mean somebody like Buffy’s baby don’t they” Xander said, his eyes almost popping

“That’s EXACTLY what I’m afraid of!”

“We better get round there and tell her!” Xander went to stand up.

“Are you mad? – She can’t find out, not in her condition!”

“Why not – okay I understand why not, but don’t you think we ought to let Spike in on things?” Xander reasoned

“Actually…no, I don’t – him knowing could be just as bad as Buffy, he’d get all super worried and such”

Xander frowned and thought,

Bunch of Hellion type beasts wanted MY kid, I’d be super-worried………

“Get Willow, tell her we need a protection spell put on the house, but not to say anything………


“Phone here, get whoever…what are YOU doing Giles?” Xander griped

“I’M looking to see how we can vanquish them!”

“Right – good point, I’ll go get Willow then…”