Author's Chapter Notes:
This is my very first fic of any kind. So please let me know what you think so I can decide if I should keep writing.
Buffy’s face contracted into a scowl as the first of the sensations hit her –a tightening of the muscles in her chest followed by a wave of dread sweeping over her. Then the heat began, spreading first from her face and throat and quickly reaching over her arms and torso to her legs. She kicked at the fabric tangled around her feet and legs, weakly at first and then with more strength as the suffocating warmth intensified. By the time she’d exerted enough force to free herself from the layers of cloth; Buffy was panting, fully awake and bathed in sweat.

Her bed companion stirred, lifting his head still groggy with sleep he inquired, “Having another one, are you?”

“Yeah, and it’s a big one. Get your ass over here and cool me off!”

Spike’s indulgent smile was lost on Buffy. All she cared about was getting as much of her skin in contact with his unnaturally cool undeadness as quickly as she could. He scooted over to her, simultaneously pushing the sheet away from his naked form. By the time his cool flesh was pressed along her humid length his cock was already engorged and painfully hard. But, since it too was cool to the touch, he didn’t hesitate to press it against her hip.

“Better, love?”

“A little. Could you put your hands on my face?”

Spike reached up to place his hands gently against Buffy’s flaming cheeks. He held them there for a few moments and then moved one hand to her forehead while the other slipped behind her head to caress the back of her neck.

“How’s that, then?”

“Nice. Better.” Buffy sighed deeply, “Okay now let me flip over.”

Spike withdrew just enough to let Buffy turn all the way around. He then pulled her close again, applying his welcome coolness to her backside. Again, his erection asserted itself as it was trapped between their bodies,

Spike took the opportunity to reach between them, cupping Buffy’s bottom in both hands. “Hmmm. This part’s not so hot.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“Oh, don’t worry sweetheart, your bum is every bit as luscious as always. It just isn’t as warm as the rest of you.”

“Well it still feels good.”

“I’m not going to argue with that, love.”

“I mean you, you know, your coolness feels good…”

“Yes, yes, I know, pet. Now, how about you start with the breathing business.”

Buffy sighed again and took in a long, deep breath. She exhaled slowly and then drew in another breath. Spike brushed his hands lightly down her arms and legs, blowing gently on her neck and shoulders as she continued her meditative breathing. By the tenth breath she turned her head to bring her lips close to his.

“Thanks sweetie,” she whispered, “It’s gone. I’m cool.”

Spike closed the small distance between them, gently pressing his mouth to hers and then nipped playfully at her lower lip. “I know I should hate these hot flashes because they’re so miserable for you, sweets. But it’s hard to resent something that makes you wake up wanting me to touch you – even if it is just to cool you down.”

“Yeah, and to think I used to like you mostly because you made me hot…”

“Well, I’d like to think that I can still do that too.”

“You’d like to think! But do you know?” Buffy teased.

“You know, you have a point there, sweetness. I can’t really know unless I try. Would you be willing to participate in a scientific test?”

“Oh, yes!” Buffy squealed as Spike pounced, “I love science!”

***

The next morning, sun streamed through the specially tinted windows, bathing Buffy and Spike in golden light as they slept tangled together in their bed. Spike was the first to stir, raising his adorably tousled bed head to survey first Buffy who snored softly beside him, and then the bed, which looked exactly like the scene of prolonged and acrobatic Sexcapades that it was. At some point Buffy had pulled off a corner of the mattress. A chunk of torn ticking lay discarded on the floor, a spring and several fistfuls of stuffing had extruded out of the mattress as it took its usual pounding. The whole mess now hung there like frozen vomit. Spike reached carefully across Buffy’s sleeping form to tuck a corner of the sheet over the damage. ‘No need ruining the morning with an argument about who was responsible for destroying yet another mattress,’ Spike reasoned to himself.

He ran his hands through his hair, leaving it in soft, slightly less disheveled curls. He knew Buffy loved it that way and secretly relished the way she’d smile at him and insist on touching it when she woke up. But he decided to let her sleep a bit longer. The night sweats had been interrupting her sleep for weeks and, although it would be hard for anyone else to notice any difference, Spike knew she could use a little extra shuteye. Besides, it gave him a chance to watch her sleep. Even after decades of sleeping with Buffy, Spike still loved to wake up early enough to lie beside her listening to her slow heartbeat and observing her chest rise and fall with each breath while he inhaled the absolutely unique and intoxicating scent of his Slayer. ‘What a pathetic git!’ he thought to himself for perhaps the 10,000th time. ‘But this just never gets old.’

Just then Buffy snorted softly and rolled onto her back. Without opening her eyes she stretched out her arms and legs like a starfish. “Ow! I’m sore,” she announced, eyes still shut. Then she turned toward Spike and leveled him with a mock glower. “This is all your fault you know,” she said, yawning loudly. “I could have woken up all rested and not sore if you hadn’t needed to prove- yet again- that you’re still the sexiest thing on the planet.”

Spike laughed, “Ah ha, so you admit I did succeed in proving that now irrefutable fact?”

“Yes, oh so sexy one, you did,” Buffy said as she struggled to sit up. “And I have the sore muscles and…ow!...even some bruises to show for it! That is, if you failed to notice the screaming and tearing apart of the bedding.” By now Buffy was crouched over the corner of the bed looking at her handiwork of the previous night.

Spike held his breath for a moment, waiting for her to launch into him about the mattress. “I’m sorry, love. But I don’t think you can blame me entirely.”

“No, I don’t suppose I can,” she replied but then continued in a small voice. “I guess this means that you still find me attractive even though I’m all old and going through ‘the change’ and everything?” Spike released the unneeded breath when he realized that she wasn’t interested in the mattress.

“You are kidding? How could you doubt it for a second? I mean, that was you in this very bed last night receiving a thorough and I might say rather masterful rogering from yours truly, was it not?”

“Yup, that was me alright!”

“Well then, I should think the question has been put to rest.”

“Yeah, I guess it has.”

Tbc...