Author's Chapter Notes:
This story has taken a radical turn. Joy is in danger. Please don't read this if you can't tolerate cute children in peril.
For several moments Willow stood in the coffee-splashed hallway holding the crumpled FAX in her hands, her eyes unfocused. Then she took a deep breath as all thoughts of celebration melted away. It had taken weeks to untangle the mystery of the travel sickness that had been plaguing travelers of late. Longer, if you counted the time it took to recognize the problem even existed. Willow interviewed everyone who reported experiencing the outlandish effects she had eventually linked with inter-dimensional travel -- affects the Council operatives had initially diagnosed as post-traumatic stress.

After hearing a dozen accounts of oddly similar hallucinations from seriously impaired operatives, Willow came to the conclusion that something other than stress was at the root of the problem. She combed through diaries and searched for clues by analyzing every detail she could collect about the victims’ travels. She’d learned that all of the cases of acute confusion and disorientation occurred in operatives with extra-dimensional origins and only when they used the portals to travel from one location to another in this dimension, without stopping over in another dimension. The Council started recruiting agents from other dimensions once it was clear much of the business of fighting demons was going to be happening there. Although many of these new Council demon fighters looked like perfectly ordinary humans, they had distinctive genetic material with a signature unique to the dimension in which they were born. Now, many years after it had established regular missions to other dimensions, the council had quite a few Council agents who might be susceptible to travel illness. Willow alerted the potentially vulnerable Council staff and continued her research, confident that no one else would fall prey to the problem while she completed her analysis. She even explained Dawn’s apparent immunity. Although the Key came from another dimension, the monks had to combine it with elements from this dimension to create Dawn, thus she was “born” here.

As the pieces of the puzzle slowly came together, Willow was totally caught up in the search for answers. She discovered that some of the affected travelers experienced symptoms of confusion and disorientation shortly after making an inter-dimensional trip, while others felt perfectly normal for a week or longer before their symptoms began. But without exception, those who experienced a longer lag between their travel and the onset of symptoms had more severe distress.

Finally, using a magically enhanced form of hypnosis, Willow discovered the nature of the malady. The sufferers had two conflicting sets of memories for the same time period. One set was consistent with the traveler’s normal life. The second set of memories felt like a nightmare in which the dreamer was lost in an unfamiliar land, constantly struggling to find his or her way back.

It wasn’t long after making this discovery that Willow realized the extra-dimensional travelers were being split into two identical and distinct parts. One part was pulled into the space between dimensions while the other continued its travels unaware of the split. The symptoms of confusion began only when the lost half of the traveler finally found its way back to this dimension to reunite with its twin. The longer it took for the lost half to find its way, the more unpleasant memories the wanderer had accumulated. Exactly why using the portals to travel from point A to point B within our own dimension caused the split, while other inter-dimensional travel did not, remained a mystery. With time, however, Willow was confident she could crack that puzzle as well.

In fact, she had gotten rather smug about her deductive abilities. She had been looking forward to methodically walking her colleagues through each and every step of solving the puzzle while basking in their adoration and respect. Right now, however, she felt more like a failure than a heroine.

In retrospect, Willow realized, the risk to Joy was all too clear. In the same way that Dawn was of this dimension, Joy was clearly not. Spike and Buffy had conceived her while on a mission in a dimension that somehow rendered them fertile. Buffy returned home pregnant, but Joy’s life force had come together for the first time in another dimension. Willow was ashamed that the implications of Joy’s extra-dimensional origins never even crossed her mind until she saw Joy’s name on the FAXed travel plan.

Willow looked at her watch. It was 10:32 AM. With her heart in her throat she ran to the nearest phone and dialed Buffy and Spike’s number. She listened to the phone ring until the answering service picked up. After hanging up the phone, she marched into the offices of the Dimensional Travel Division.

“We have an emergency and no time to spare,” Willow announced to the six staff members nursing hangovers at desks scattered around the large room. “Conrad, I’d like your help with a locator spell. Everyone else should initiate the critical events protocol and wait for my instructions.”

***************

Just before 10 AM that morning….

“What were you doing in the basement, love?” Spike asked as Buffy joined him and Joy in the entry hall.

“Oh, nothing. I just took the sheets downstairs.”

“Sheets?” Spike asked, looking confused. “You didn’t need to change the bed. The housekeepers are supposed to be here while we’re gone.”

“I know,” Buffy said, looking embarrassed. “I didn’t want them to see the state of our bed.”

“That’s their job, love!” Spike said, clearly exasperated with her. “You have enough to do saving the world every other day. You don’t need to do housework, too. Remember? That was our deal. You let the Council take care of domestic duties, I watch your back on missions, and we all live happily ever after for a long, long time.”

Buffy stole a quick glance at Joy who was busy tying her stuffed pig to the strap of her backpack. She lowered her voice to a whisper knowing that Spike could hear her and hoping that Joy wouldn’t. “Yes, sweetheart, I remember our deal. But you vamped out last night when we were…you know…and it seems you shredded another set of sheets.”

“Oh,” Spike replied, looking chastised. “Sorry ‘bout that, love.”

“No need to apologize,” Buffy said, smiling softly. “I should know by now not to nibble on your neck like that.”

“It does tend to elicit a powerful response from my demon…” Spike said with a slight leer, obviously savoring the memory. “But I still don’t see why you had to change the bed.”

“Come on, Spike! I’ve already had enough of the funny looks. It’s like everybody at the Council knows what goes on in our bedroom. It makes me uncomfortable. If I can prevent stories about us from circulating by changing our sheets, I’m all over it!”

It was Spike’s turn to smile now. “Okay, sweets, if it’s that important to you, I guess a little strategic sheet changing doesn’t void our deal. But, love, you know the housekeeping staff does our laundry. They’re still going to see the sheets.”

“Not this time, they aren’t,” Buffy said, grinning. “I already tore them up and put them in the rag basket.”

Joy, who until now had seemed thoroughly occupied, looked up from her project. “Giselle says it must be nice to be so rich you only sleep on sheets one time before you turn them into rags.”

Spike burst out laughing as Buffy covered her face with her hands. “Oh, God, I just can’t win, can I?”

Spike put his arm around Buffy and pressed a kiss to her forehead. “Come on, love. It’s ten o’clock, time to go. Let’s go see your sis and get some Halloween candy!”

Buffy sighed and reached up to place a kiss on Spike’s lips. “Why do I even care what they say about us? This must be another symptom of getting old. I’m suddenly worried about what the neighbors will think. Is that it? Am I turning into my mother’s Aunt Betty?”

“I never had the pleasure of meeting Joyce’s Aunt Betty,” Spike said, more serious now, “but I’m pretty sure your worries are more about being a mum than your age I can’t say I’d like Joy to hear unkind rumors about us, but I’m not sure there’s anything we can do about it. So, I suggest we go on our little trip, have a great time, and forget about Council gossips.”

Without another word, Buffy helped Joy put on her backpack and then shouldered hers, resignation written on her face. “Come on Widget,” Spike said, lifting Joy effortlessly into his arms. “You’re traveling with me.” Holding his daughter on his hip with one arm, Spike took Buffy’s hand with the other. Moving as one, Buffy and Spike stepped into the portal and the three travelers disappeared from sight.

****************

When Buffy, Spike and Joy appeared in Dawn’s living room only moments later, she was sitting on the couch, waiting to greet them.

“Joy-Joy! You’re here, you’re here!” Dawn squealed like a teenager as she hugged her little niece. “I’m so excited to see you.”

“But Auntie Dawnie,” Joy replied evenly, “you just saw me at my house.”

“Oh, I know, but you haven’t been here in such a long time,” Dawn countered. “You were just a baby last time. There are so many things I want to show you and do with you, now that you’re a big girl.”

Joy beamed with pride. “I’m big enough to trick-or-treat and rock-and-roll.”

Dawn looked at Buffy and Spike in confusion. “Don’t ask,” Spike said, laughing. “It’s a long story.”

“Okay, guess we’ll save it for later,” Dawn said. “Come into the kitchen. I know you probably just had breakfast, but I made cinnamon rolls to celebrate your arrival, and I just took them out of the oven. You don’t have to eat a whole one, but you’ve got to taste them and tell me how great they are!” Joy bounded after Dawn into the kitchen, Buffy and Spike close behind her.

Twenty minutes later, they were all sitting around the kitchen table licking sugar off their fingers when Spike suddenly cocked one ear toward the door. “Dawn, are you expecting more company?” he asked. Dawn was vigorously shaking her head when Willow walked into the kitchen wearing a sheepish smile.

“Hello, Red,” Spike greeted her, his eyes narrow. “I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that you didn’t come all this way for a cinnamon bun. And, from the look on your face, I’d speculate you’ve got bad news. You might as well spill, Red, no point delaying the inevitable.”

Willow finished hugging everyone then turned to face them, her tight smile disappearing. “Um, yeah, you’re right, Spike, much as it pains me to say so,” she said, wincing a bit at the unpleasant task before her. “It’s complicated and we don’t have time to waste.” Then turning to Dawn, “I’ll need to brief Spike and Buffy, Dawn. Maybe you and Joy could find something more interesting to do,” she said, giving Dawn a meaningful look

Dawn took the hint and jumped up. “Come on Joy-Joy, you can help me with the decorations. We’ve got lots to do to get ready for Halloween!”

As soon as Dawn and Joy were safely out of earshot, Willow began to speak again. “I’ve been working on a problem we’ve been having with inter-dimensional travel, and I finally figured it out last night. It only affects extra-dimensional beings.” She stopped to take a breath, and then added, “like Joy.”

Spike and Buffy both looked at Willow in confusion. “Joy? This is about Joy?” Buffy asked. “She’s fine. You just saw her.”

“Yes,” Willow said slowly, choosing her words. “This part of Joy is fine. But another part of her – her twin, essentially – is lost between dimensions.”

Buffy gasped, jumping up from her chair. Spike took her hand as much to steady himself as to comfort her. Tears in her eyes, Buffy started to pelt Willow with questions. “Willow, what are you talking about? Where is she? Why didn’t you warn us?” Buffy asked, her voice tight with panic. “It makes no sense. Why is Joy affected, but not Dawn?”

“I’m so sorry, Buffy,” she began. “I didn’t warn you because…because…I didn’t… Oh, God, Buffy, I don’t have a good reason. I just screwed up. I was so busy being little Miss Know-It-All I didn’t stop and think. I didn’t think.” Willow’s voice trailed off and her eyes filled with tears. But then, as soon as they’d started, the tears stopped and a look of pure resolve appeared on Willows pale face. “This is my fault. I could have prevented this. But you’ll have time to yell at me later. Right now, I need you to help me fix it. We need to find Joy.”

Spike put his hands on Buffy’s shoulders. “Come on, Red,” he said, looking directly into her eyes. “Tell us what we need to know so we can bring her back home.”

Willow sighed audibly and continued. “I saw your travel plan not long ago. I’ve already done a locator spell. It doesn’t work the same inter-dimensionally, but it confirmed that she’s out there, somewhere. We’ve notified all Council operatives to meet us at the critical events coordinates. Everyone who’s available will be there by now. It’ll save time if I brief everyone at once. I know you have a million questions, but if we go now we can start searching sooner.”

Buffy looked at Spike. “I’ll tell Dawn and Joy that we need to go save the world. Then I guess we’re ready.”


Tbc…


A/N: My wonderful Beta, Addie Logan, has pointed out that my story just took a sharp turn from light-hearted family fun to scary, child-in-peril. I just want to reassure everyone that nothing terrible is going to happen to Joy. Just hang in for a bit. I promise the family will be reunited in time for trick-or-treat.

Also, voting for the Spuffy Awards is open. You can check out the nominees (including my two WIPs) and vote for your favorites at http://spuffyawards.jaded-paradise.net/vote.php. Voting ends September 16, so don’t delay!!