Author's Chapter Notes:
Giselle's subplot is starting to develop in my head. Are any of you interested in learning more about her "wacky, strange and interesting" species?
Buffy and Dawn were equally surprised when Joy bounded into the kitchen all smiles, but what they saw next left them speechless. Right behind the smiling kitty, and holding her by the hand, was a master vampire in full game face. The fact he was grinning only added to the bizarre vision before them.

“Look Mommy! Look Auntie Dawnie, it’s Papa’s costume,” Joy shouted with glee. “Now you can see how we’ll both look for Hall’ween!”

Spike sat down at his place at the breakfast table and pulled Joy into his lap. “We had a talk,” he announced, “me and the Widget. And it seems we’ll be going to California for Halloween.”

Buffy gave Spike a look that said, ‘I can’t wait to get you alone, and not for the usual reasons.’ But all she said out loud was, “Well, I guess we know who calls the shots around here!”

Joy sat up tall in her father’s lap, holding her hands in front of her mouth like paws. “Meow, meow, meow,” she said, “Do you know what that means, Auntie Dawnie? It means I want waffles with lots of syrup.”

“Good thing we have lots of waffles and plenty of syrup then!” Dawn answered. “But first let’s take off your costume so you don’t get it all sticky.” Dawn helped Joy off Spike’s lap and led her away from the table to remove her kitty suit.

Buffy had come around from behind the counter to stand next to Spike’s chair. She leaned down and planted a kiss on his bumpy forehead. “You too, Fang Boy, off with the ‘costume’. You may be more Big Softie than Big Bad these days, but that is not a breakfasty face you’ve got going on!”

“It’s okay, Papa,” Joy called over from the sitting area where Dawn had succeeded in stripping her down to her panties and under shirt. “I have to take off my costume so you can too.”

Spike tried to shift back to his human face, but he was laughing too hard. “At least I won’t be left in nothing but my knickers!” he sputtered out.

“Good thing too,” Buffy whispered, “seeing as you don’t wear any.”

“Come on Joy-Joy,” Dawn said. “Let’s run up to your room for some play clothes. I don’t want you to turn into a popsicle sitting down here in your undies.”

Dawn scooped Joy into her arms. “Keep those waffles hot, Buff,” she called over her shoulder as she carried her giggling bundle upstairs. “We’ll be right back.”

As soon as they were gone Buffy turned to Spike. “So, Mr. Tough Guy, what happened?”

“Oi! Buffy, it was terrible. I’ve never seen worse. At first I thought she was taking it so well. I explained and she listened and I really thought for a minute she understood and it would be alright. But then I saw that her jaw was locked down tight and she was holding her lips steady by sheer force. Buffy, she put on her ‘Slayer’ face. I could practically see the wheels turning in her head. She was determined to suck it up even though she was devastated. I’m glad I twigged to it in time. It was something in her eyes. It would have killed you to see it. I had turned to come upstairs, and I had my back to her for all of two seconds. She didn’t realize that I could see her reflection in the mirror. I saw her clench her little fists and her lower lip shot out. Then a tremor went through her, like she was trying to shake something off, the lip went back in and her eyes went flat or blank -- I can’t even describe it. That’s when she tugged on the back of my shirt and asked if she could still keep her costume. And I just couldn’t do it to her. I couldn’t let her try to be so adult when she’s so little just because I’m a selfish git for not wanting to take her trick-or-treating. And she’s only going to be four once, and I’ll make sure she brushes her teeth whenever she eats candy. I promise.”

Buffy stopped him from continuing by putting her fingers over his lips. “It’s okay honey. I get it. She pulled out the big guns and you buckled. I’m not sure I wouldn’t have done the same.”

Spike reached around Buffy’s body to pull her closer, resting his head on her stomach. “So you’re not mad at me, because I gave in to her again?”

Buffy laughed, “No I’m not mad. But I think I might love you even more.”

“So you’ll come with us?” he asked, looking up at her. “You’ll come along when we go?”

“Yeah, I’ll go with you,” Buffy answered, ruffling his hair with her hands. “I have to make sure you don’t let any other four-year-olds wrap you around their little fingers.”

********
After breakfast they all gave Dawn hugs and she got ready to portal back to California. Even though Spike, Buffy, and Joy would be arriving in two days, Dawn needed to be back right away for rehearsals. “I can’t very well tell my students I went to London for a day and a half, so I’m going to have to come up with an explanation for my absence.”

“Just tell them you came to see me,” Joy suggested. “You don’t have to tell them where I live.”

Dawn laughed. “No, I suppose I don’t, but they’ll figure it out when they meet you.”

Joy looked confused. “How will they know if we don’t tell them?”

“Um, well, I think they’ll notice that you have an accent, Joy-Joy! You know, you talk different.”

“That’s silly. I don’t have an accent! You and Mommy talk funny. Papa and I talk proper.”

They all got a good laugh out of that. Then Dawn walked over to where she had established the portal, appropriately enough, in the entry hall. “Did you file a travel plan with the Council this time?” Spike asked, just a touch of suspicion in his voice.

“Yes, Big Brother-in-Law, I did!” Dawn answered, rolling her eyes. “I told you I was wrong to portal here without following the protocols. I won’t make that mistake again, cross my heart.”

“Glad to here it, Platelet. I don’t fancy losing you between dimensions.”

“Okay, then,” Dawn said, “I guess I’ll be off. Oh, wait, I nearly forgot! When I called the Council they had heard from Giselle by inter-dimensional memo. She said she’ll be back by the end of the week, local time. Apparently the family emergency is being handled, no details though. I hope you find out what happened. Her demon species is wacky, strange, and interesting.”

“What, you think it’s strange they're born in pods of eighteen with exactly nine identical male and female siblings?” Spike asked feigning surprise.

“No, I think it’s strange that they mate in threes with two boys from one pod and one girl from another.” Dawn replied.

“Unless it’s two girls and one boy!” Buffy volunteered.

“Yeah,” Dawn sighed, “like I said, fill me in if you find out more about the emergency.”

“Okay, now I really gotta go!” she said. “Bye for now. I’ll see you on Halloween!” With that she stepped into the open portal, waving as she disappeared from sight.

Tbc….