The sun was shining brightly upon them as they splashed in the water. Buffy watched Spike as he stood there, waves crashing against his body which was glistening from the little beads of clear liquid which lay upon it. She grinned as she studied his expression. She had never seen him more content. His face simply glowed as the sun beat down upon it. When their organizer Kevin showed up that morning to inform them that they would be spending the morning at the beach, Spike was so happy that she was afraid he was going to wrap Kevin up into the biggest thank you hug that she had ever seen. Until now, Spike hadn’t had a good chance to really try out his ring of amara and take full advantage of its powers.

In the distance, John could be seen carrying Angela as he raced through the water while her feminine giggles reached Spike and Buffy’s ears. Buffy nervously glanced over at Spike but quickly looked away. However, it wasn’t fast enough and his piercing blue eyes caught her awkward stare. Trying to get away, Buffy plunged into the water and swam in the opposite direction before he had the chance to get any ideas. When she felt two arms grab her around the waist, she knew she wasn’t fast enough. He pulled her into a standing position, looking deeply into her eyes.

“Feeling neglected, are we Buffy?” Spike purred.

“No! Like I would ever crave any attention from you, which explains the me swimming away from you.”

“Liar” He said, matter-of-factly.

She smiled. She couldn’t help it.

He noticed the slight blush in her cheeks and really took in her appearance. She stood before him in a blue bikini which looked sexy without looking trashy. Her wet blonde hair was slicked back and the green color in her eyes seemed to shine remarkably brighter than usual. As he looked at her, his mind drifted off to the night before and their heavy make-out session on the sofa along with the fact that she tried so hard to cover up how long they had actually been kissing each other. At that moment, he wanted nothing more than to feel her lips on his again but he didn’t want to risk things getting uncomfortable between them. Instead, he shoved her away and began splashing her with water. She paused, visibly stunned, after he had done so. Suddenly, she gave him what he likes to call “the evil eye” and then he knew he was in trouble.

Without seeing it coming, she immediately pounced on him, pushing his head into the water. Knowing that he didn’t need to breathe, she didn’t feel guilty leaving him under the water just a little bit longer than she normally would. Just as she was about to pull him back up, she felt him wrap his arms around her.

His mind was clouded, he was trying so hard to stay away and had no idea what compelled him to get that close. After wrapping her up in his arms he began placing gentle kisses on her bare stomach. Feeling her tense up didn’t stop him. After three more kisses, she relaxed completely which surprised him and made him want to continue what he was doing out of mere curiosity as well as pleasure. He felt her squeeze his shoulders and he smiled against her skin.

It took all the will power she had to come to her senses and pull him up out of the water but that’s exactly what she did. By doing so, she realized that they ended up body to body, skin to skin and eye to eye. Everything inside of her that screamed out how wrong this was suddenly shut down completely as she placed her hand at the back of his head and pulled him into the most urgent and desperate kiss that she had ever initiated.

She damned her body for reacting to him and she damned him for making her weak. The welcomed sound of shouting voices made her pull away from Spike’s full lower lip that had been beckoning her all day.

Buffy looked over to what seemed to be the end of an argument between Jason and Lorena. It left the distraught Spanish beauty sitting in the sand with tears streaming down her cheeks.

Glancing over to Spike, she gave him a look that he immediately understood and made her way over to Lorena. As she sat down beside her, Lorena lifted her head and looked at Buffy with red and swollen eyes.

“I want to go home.” she sniffed.

“Tell me what happened.” Buffy said.

“Nothing I do is good enough. Everything I do is wrong, everything I say, everything I wear. He’s always yelling at me.” she replied in a deep accented tone.

Trying to soothe her, Buffy put a hand on her shoulder. “If you are that unhappy, can’t you just leave?”

“I tried. They won’t let me. In my contract it says I must stay until the end. I can not go. They could sue me if I left.”

“I’m sorry, sweetie. I’m sorry you are so unhappy. I’m going to help you all I can.”

“How?” Lorena wiped away a tear.

“You can hang around with us more so you don’t have to be alone with Jason so much.”

“Really?” she asked hopefully.

“Absolutely. In fact, I want everyone to come over to our place for dinner tonight. That way there will be other people for you to talk to and you can stay away from Jason all you want. He won’t make a fuss if everyone else is around.”

“All right. That sounds good” she said shyly.

“Great! I’ll let Spike know.” Buffy smiled.

“You were very lucky to have been paired up with him.” Lorena said.

Buffy looked over at Spike who was still splashing around in the water like a child who was experiencing his first time in a swimming pool.

“I am lucky, aren’t I?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dinner was being made in Spike and Buffy’s kitchen by Lorena who insisted on cooking them a traditional Mexican feast. As she was rolling her last chicken enchilada, Buffy walked in.

“Are you sure you don’t need any help? I know this is the third time I’m asking but I feel bad about you doing all of this by yourself.”

“I’m fine, really. I used to do this all the time for my family. It’s not a big deal.” Lorena shrugged.

“Well, it looks great! It makes me want to learn how to make something besides pop tarts.”

“But don’t you just put those into a toaster?” Lorena looked puzzled.

“Exactly.” Buffy chuckled.

Lorena giggled and shook her head in disbelief. “Well, if you want I can teach you sometime.”

“Teach you what?” Spike said, suddenly appearing in the kitchen.

“ How to cook.” Buffy said “Looks like my days of pop tarts and ordering pizzas are over.”

Spikes hand slid around her middle and he rested his chin on her shoulder. “You don’t need to learn how to cook with me around. I can do that for you.” He placed a gentle kiss on her neck. “I’d do anything for you.”

Buffy’s breath hitched in her throat. “I guess I don’t need those lessons after all. It looks like I’ve got my own personal chef.” She smiled nervously and moved away from him as if she paid no mind to his words.

After Lorena placed the enchiladas in the oven, she began making Spanish rice while Spike and Buffy sat at the kitchen table to keep her company. The three of them stayed in the kitchen and talked leaving Angela, John and Jason in the living room to fend for themselves.

When the rice was finished, a lid was placed upon the top of the pan to keep it warm and Lorena joined her two friends at the table.

“I was really hoping that by doing this show, I could find a nice man.” Lorena said. “I guess it just wasn’t meant to be.”

“I’m sorry things didn’t work out for you, luv.” Spike said, sincerely.

“It’s ok. I’m over it. I just need to get through the rest of the taping so I can go back home. I guess it took someone treating me like crap for me to realize that I liked my life better the way it was.” She smiled sadly. “I am happy for you two though. It’s weird, I look at you two and it’s like looking at a couple who have known each other for years.”

Buffy chuckled nervously. “Well, I guess it does feel that way sometimes.”

“Yeah.” Spike agreed. “Especially when we fight.”

Elbowing him in the side, Buffy gave him a playful look. “We don’t fight, we banter.”

“You love a good banter don’t you, pet? It turns you on. Isn’t that right?” With that, he leaned forward and placed a whisper of a kiss on her lips and then looked up into her eyes.

“I think you’re gonna win.” Lorena said.

They looked over at her, both flustered after getting so lost in each other. “What?” Buffy asked, almost forgetting about the third person in the room.

“I said, I think you’re gonna win” She repeated. “I mean, there isn’t any hope for me and I kind of get the feeling that Angela isn’t being loyal to John.”

“Not being loyal?” Buffy asked. “You mean, you think she’s cheating on him?”

“Well, sometimes when I can’t sleep, I’ll sit in the living room and read or sit on the porch and look at the stars. It seems that almost every night Angela sneaks out after the cameras go off and runs off somewhere. I never followed her so I don’t know where she goes or what she does but I’m assuming that wherever she is at night, she’s not alone.”

Buffy looked over at Spike to see his reaction to this new information but became distracted by the timer going off on the oven. Lorena rose from her seat, placed oven mitts on her hands and opened the oven door to remove the casserole dish. Wanting to help, Spike walked over toward Lorena who was standing in front of the oven. As she turned around, she was startled by his presence, not realizing Spike was standing behind her. Gasping, she jumped as she faced him causing her elbow to knock into the handle of the pan with the rice in it which was standing on the stovetop. Without thinking, she shoved the casserole dish into Spike’s hands and turned to catch the pan before it fell off the stove.

With the fiery hot dish in his hands, Spike screamed as it burned his flesh. Panicked, he spun around frantically looking for empty counter space to rid of the offending item. After finally finding a spot to dispose of it, he slumped to the floor and looked at the angry red welts on his hands which began to blister right before his eyes.

“I’m so sorry. I’m so very sorry.” Lorena said in a panic as she knelt down beside him.

Spike just groaned, the pain too unbearable to form words at the moment.

Lorena looked at his wounded hands, her heart breaking for him. “Buffy, can you bring me a first aid kit?”

They looked up toward the sound of laughing to see Buffy with her hand over her mouth, unsuccessfully muffling the sound. Spike stared at her in disbelief.

“I’m sorry.” She said between chuckles. “But you should have seen your face and you were spinning around all panicked.” She spun herself around to demonstrate and the laughing got louder.

Spike stood up in a huff, trying not to use his hands to do so. Glaring angrily at Buffy, he stomped out of the kitchen toward the living room.

Buffy’s face suddenly turned serious bordering on panic. “Spike! Come on! I was just……..”

After seeing him ignore her, she looked over at Lorena who gave her a look that can only be described as disappointment. She suddenly felt very stupid and very mean and knew she never should have laughed at him like that. Guilt flooded her as she sat down on the kitchen chair. Embarrassed by her actions, she felt the heat rise to her cheeks and although she wanted to apologize, her pride glued her to her seat.

After letting a few moments pass, she tucked her tail between her legs and slowly made her way into the living room to see how Spike was doing. She fumed internally as she walked in to see Angela nursing his burns. Seeing Spike sitting on the sofa while Angela sat across from him on the coffee table reminded her of the night she came back from the dead. She remembered Spike holding her hands gently as he took care of her cuts and scrapes. It should be her, not Angela, cradling his hands as bandages were wrapped around them.

Buffy stood before them, her hands clasped behind her back like a shy child.

“Hey, why don’t you take a break and let me finish that up.” Buffy said to Angela who paused momentarily to look at Buffy and then look back at Spike for a response from him.

“That’s all right, Buffy. Angela is doing a mighty fine job. No need to concern yourself. Why don’t you go upstairs and get some beauty sleep. It looks like you could use it.” Spike said, his voice cold and distant.

After being dismissed and insulted all in one shot, she decided to take her hurt feelings upstairs like he asked and wait to work this out after everyone left. As she ascended the stairs, she looked back once more just in time to see Spike place a gentle kiss on Angela’s cheek to thank her for helping him. Guilt, jealousy and heartbreak consumed Buffy as she made her way up the rest of the stairs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Buffy waited until everyone left and the cameras were off before she made her way downstairs. When she got there he noticed Spike in the kitchen unsuccessfully trying to get the refrigerator door open. His bandages were restricting him from doing much of anything with his hands and she guessed he was hungry and trying to get some blood.

Spike turned, noticing Buffy. “Oh hey! I’m glad you’re up. Could you maybe give me a hand here?”

“Oh! Now you want my help? Why don’t you go ask Angela for assistance? I’m sure she would be more than willing.”

“Has anyone ever told you that jealousy doesn’t suit you, luv?”

Buffy’s brow raised. “You are really stuck on this jealousy thing, aren’t you? I think you are just dying for me to be jealous so your diluted mind can continue to think that I would ever have any interest in you. Well I’ve got news for you. I do not now nor will I ever think of you as anything more than an ego driven, peroxided pest of a neutered vampire!”

Spike took a few steps closer, his blue eyes drilling into her green ones. “You really do want me don’t you, pet?”

Throwing her hands up in the air, she growled loudly in frustration and walked past him to the fridge to get out a packet of blood for him. She emptied the packet into a coffee mug and placed it in the microwave watching it turn around and around as it heated.

“It’s you isn’t it?” Buffy asked softly.

“What’s me?”

“You’re the one who meets Angela in the middle of the night to do God only knows what.”

“Are you off your rocker? Buffy, I swear, I don’t meet Angela for anything. How could you think I would do that?”

Buffy shrugged. “You obviously like her. I saw that kiss you gave her today.”

“It was on the cheek. It didn’t mean anything and I only did it to piss you off.”

“Why would it piss me off? I already told you I’m not…..”

“Jealous? Yeah, sing me another tune, luv.”

“You know what? I’m tired of defending myself to you. This conversation is over. I’m going to bed.” She opened the microwave, took out his blood and put a straw in it for easy access. “Is there anything else you need before I head on up.”

“Well, there is one thing but I’m afraid you’ll take it the wrong way.”

“What is it?” She said skeptically.

“It’s just…..I need to be comfortable while I sleep and…..I…..uh….”

“Spit it out, Spike. I don’t have all night.”

“Look, I can’t sleep with my jeans on all right!”

“And you are sharing this with me because?”

“Well, I can’t exactly unzip my pants with all these bandages on my hands now can I?”

“You mean, you want me to……” Buffy’s eyes widened.

“Help me get my pants off?”

“What are you crazy? I’m sure you can suffer through one night of sleep with your pants on!”

“Come on, Buffy! Help me out! It’s really uncomfortable!” He whined.

Buffy rolled her eyes. “All right. But no funny stuff!”

“I’ll be a perfect gentlemen.” Spike said.

“Why do I not believe that?”

She took a deep breath and lowered her hands toward the button of his pants. After undoing the button, she grabbed a hold of the zipper then paused.

“You better have boxers on under there.” She said venomously.

“No worries, pet. I’m all covered up. Just watch the jewels ok. These pants are kind of tight.”

“So I’ve noticed.” Buffy mumbled.

Spike raised an eyebrow, his head tilting to one side. “You’ve been checking out my goodies, Slayer?”

“You wish!”

“Actually, I do.”

“Would you just shut up and let me do this.”

“You better hurry. The longer your hands are down there, the tighter my pants are getting.”

Buffy’s jaw tightened at his comment and she quickly and roughly pulled his zipper down.

“Ahhhhh!! Watch it! You could have damaged something important!”

“There is nothing of any importance to me down there.”

“Are you sure about that, Buffy?”

He suddenly spun her around and backed her up against the refrigerator door, pressing his body to hers and giving her hips a squeeze. He brought his face close to hers and could feel her heavy breathing against his lips.

“You mean to tell me that after all we’ve done, you still refuse to admit that you’re attracted to me?”

Buffy swallowed hard but said nothing.

“I don’t see you denying it, Slayer. Look at you, you’re shivering.” Spike said.

“That’s because you have me up against the refrigerator. It’s cold.”

Spike smiled and Buffy’s eyes widened in fear as he picked her up, spun her around and set her down on the kitchen table.

He immediately smashed his lips against hers at the very second her lips parted to speak. His tongue took that opportunity to grant itself access into her mouth, making her groan. After a few hard, urgent kisses he pulled away to look at her.

“See, you’re still shivering.”

“I’m still cold.”

“Let me fix that for you.” He said as he leaned in again.

Lips and tongues met frantically for a second time. They parted, breathing heavily, foreheads touching.

“Every time I kiss you, I can’t help but want you.” Spike said.

He leaned in to kiss her again.

Somewhere deep down, Buffy found her strength and pushed him away.

“No. Stop. I can’t.” She jumped down from the table and walked toward the door.

“Where are you going?” Spike asked, disappointment evident in his voice.

“I have to…..I….I just need some air. I’m going for a walk.”

“I’ll come with you.” He started to move toward her.

She put a hand up, signaling him to stop. “No. Please. I just need to be alone, ok?”

“All right then.” Spike’s face fell as she walked out the door.

The crisp cold air helped to clear Buffy’s mind, at least for a little while. She strolled the paths around the house and tried to gain perspective on her feelings toward Spike. Her walk was peaceful but it didn’t help her come to a decision any faster. Her emotions were just as confusing as they ever were.

As she continued walking she heard a combination of whispers and giggles and did her best to follow the sound. When she finally found the source, she identified a laughing Angela with her arms around someone’s shoulders. Her partner was bathed in shadow, making him extremely difficult to see. When Angela’s eyes closed to kiss the mystery man, Buffy took that opportunity to move a little closer until she could identify him.

“Spike!” Buffy yelled as she ran into the front door of the house.

“Spike!” She yelled again, breathing heavily.

He came running out of the bathroom, his hair drenched and a towel wrapped around his waist.

“Buffy, what’s wrong?” He asked, concerned.

“You’ll ever guess who I just caught making out?”

“Bloody Hell, Slayer! Don’t scare me like that! I thought that you were hurt!”

“Sorry, I……” Her mouth suddenly went dry with the realization that Spike was standing there half naked and wet. She wondered how he managed to shower himself with limited use of his hands. Part of her was slightly disappointed that she wasn’t around to help him. She tried her hardest to divert her eyes and get back to the point.

“It’s Kevin.” She said, trying to keep her mind off of Spike’s exposed skin.

“What?”

“Kevin is the one that Angela is sneaking around with. I just saw them in the middle of a very serious kissing session.”

“Wow. I never would have guessed she was running around with the events organizer. But, hey, I really like the bloke so good for him.”

“You barely know him and only like him because he sent us to the beach.”

“So? What’s wrong with that? I’ve grown fond of other people for stranger reasons.” He announced, raising an eyebrow at her and hoping she’d catch on that he meant her.

She rolled her eyes. “Never mind that. You are missing the point.”

“And that would be what, this little adventure of ours is turning into an episode of Melrose Place?”

“There is no way we can lose now!” She exclaimed, ignoring his comment. “Lorena hates Jason and Angela is running around on John with Kevin! We’re a shoe in!”

“But the cameras are off, luv. Angela is just going to continue to try and hide it.”

“Don’t worry about that.” Buffy said. “The truth always comes out eventually.”

“That’s what I’m counting on.” Spike mumbled to himself while trying to dry his hair with a fluffy white towel in spite of his bandaged hands. He was hoping that eventually Buffy’s true feelings about him would come to surface. “So, where do we go from here?” Spike asked clearly, throwing the damp towel across the arm of the sofa.

“Well….” Buffy said, nervously. “There is only one thing left for us to do.”

“What’s that, pet?”

“We have to take our phony relationship to the next fake level. It’s time for us to sleep together.”

To Be Continued……