Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks blondiebear (I should mention that the "don't trust anything that bleeds for five days" line is totally not mine- I got it from the former Mr. Garrison of South Park. I couldn't resist, lol!), Laura Liz, ash, cordykitten, and maria.
Angel decided, although reluctantly, to go to Wes' celebration. He would have much rather have stayed at home with Connor, or even finish some of his work. He wasn't really a people person. But, Wes was his best friend after all. He would stay for the dinner and two drinks max, then go back home, alone. Men like him didn't deserve happiness of any sort anyway. His son and his work were his life, and nothing more.

He started feeling that way three and a half years ago, when he lost her. Darla—the love of his life. They were so happy together. The three of them, were all smiles and sunshine. Now it's mostly darkness. It's amazing how all of that can be ripped away from you in an instant. One afternoon, they were out for a family drive. Nowhere in particular, just out, enjoying the pleasant weather. Not too hot, not too cool. There was a nice breeze about, and few big, white fluffy clouds were out in the wonderful blue sky. The day had been perfect; too perfect.

Darla sat in the passenger side and Connor was sleeping peacefully in his car seat in the back. She had the window down. She wanted to feel the breeze wash over her. Angel stopped at a red light on one of the side streets. That's when it happened. A man came from nowhere and reached inside of the car, trying to reach Darla's purse. She in turn, though in shock, gasped as she roughly pushed him back in reflex. It all happened so fast. He was about to switch gears and pull away from the maniac, but then...

"You fucking greedy bitch!" He yelled. Then out of nowhere, the bastard pulled a gun on them and shot her in the chest. He smiled at Angel, he actually smiled at him before he grabbed the purse and ran off. He couldn't believe it was happening to him, to them, in broad fucking daylight.

"Darla, baby, Darla? Darla?!" His wife was staring blindly at the ceiling, but she was still alive. He drove as fast as he could, nearly getting into a head on collision to the hospital. He remembered sitting in that waiting room, rocking Connor in his arms. He was still asleep, but he thought he'd go insane if he did nothing.

A little while later, one of the surgeon's came out and told him that the bullet was lodged in a place they couldn't get too. In fact, they weren't even going to try until she had a blood transfusion and because of her weakened state. They let Angel in to see her, and she smiled weakly up at him lovingly. He gently grasped her hand. Her eyes were unwavering as she said "I love you so much. Take care of our baby." Then she started convulsing as he screamed for help. Before anyone got there, she was already gone...

After Darla's death and burial, Angel went out on a full vigilante mission. He would never forget that son of a bitch's face, and wouldn’t rest until he was dead, by his own hands. The police were doing all they could, which meant they weren't doing a enough. At the end of the day, it wasn’t their pain, it was Angel’s. And no one would care as much as he did; no one would really give a damn. Another senseless mugging; another senseless killing. But that was okay for Angel. He had his own plans for the thing that ruthlessly murdered his wife, and it had nothing to do with a jail cell.

Eight and a half months after his wife's murder, he found him. Daniel M. Holtz. Unfortunately for Angel, he found him in a bar, with lots of people around. Of course, that didn't stop him from attacking him and nearly bludgeoning him to death with a pool stick and breaking his back with just his foot. It took three guys to pull him away. When Holtz was done recuperating, he went to trial for murder in the first and was convicted one year later. Turns out Angel wasn't the only one missing a loved one at the hands of Holtz, though there was no solid evidence proving it. He was put away for a long time and wouldn't be up for parole for a good, long while. Justice was served, but Angel's broodiness remained.

The stupid police actually tried to accuse him for manslaughter. That filth would have deserved it. No matter. Wes got him off. He met him at his uncle's bookstore one day and he mentioned being a lawyer. He never thought he would actually need one someday. Well, not for criminal reasons, anyway. But some good did come of the whole ordeal. He started Angel Investigations with two of his friends, Fred and Gunn. Other people deserved their proper justice too.

He knew that his best friend Wes only had good intentions for him, and that he only wanted to get him out more. Angel decided to appease him this time and hoped that would keep him off his back for a little while about his lack of social life. Maybe he'd get lucky and simply disappear into the shadows...

*****************

"Oh, I just don't know what to wear, honey!" Willow shouted to her husband.

"Really, anything would be fine, sweetheart! Whatever it is, I'm sure Wes won't have any problem with it!" Xander shouted back. Ah, sweet, eager to please Willow. He loved her more than life itself. It only took for her to ogle some guitarist like a lost puppy for him to realize that she was the woman for him. They had always been together, since childhood. Willow always had a crush on him, and they dated for like two seconds in the fifth grade. But, in high school, she was just, well, Willow: best friend, study buddy, an escape from frequent arguments between his parents, and gal pal. He always loved her, but he truly fell in love with her senior year. He was her first and only, but he had experienced the touch of another.

Faith: wild child, and dark eyed beauty. In the "other crowd" at school. She was very much experienced and overtly horny at the time. She needed a ride after work one day, and he happily obliged, in more ways than one. Of course, he never told Willow of the incident, it would crush her. She thought they were each other's firsts. He wished. He had to always be gentle and kind; with Willow, it was always making love. Sometimes, he just wanted raunchy sex, but he wouldn't dare bring it up. How could he? It would be like, some sort of weirdo betrayal somehow.

They tied the knot right after graduation. At first, it was kind of strenuous because Xander wasn't going to college, but it actually turned out for the best. Starting out small on a construction site, he was now big business- head foreman. Life was sweet. They had a little boy, Jesse, who he adored. Dark hair and dark eyes, and a jokester like his dad. He had his mother's sweet smile and friendly disposition. Oh, and he was terribly brilliant. He knew the boy would make him real proud someday. But now, onto the party, have some drinks, and some supposedly adult conversation. Yuh huh. Thank god Spike would be there to liven things up a bit.

*****************

The Party...

Instead of bringing something silly like a paper weight or a tie, Spike brought something that Wes would really appreciate: a bottle of Dom Perignon. He would have bought some Cristal, but he did have a certain someone's college fund to worry about. Noticing that there weren't too many other cars out on the block, he walked up the steps and rang the bell.

"Spike, you didn't bring a date? How shocking." Lilah said in mock surprise as she let him in.

"Oh come, now. Know I like to keep my options open. Don't need anyone tying me down." He said as he handed her the bottle.

"Nice gift. See you put a lot of thought behind it."

"Hey, he'll love it. Am I the first one here?"

"No. Angel's out back. I guess he figured if he arrives first, he can leave first. Wes is still getting dressed." Spike nodded and headed towards the back. He found Angel out there alone, nursing a beer.

"Well, well. You actually came. Bet if it was my party, you would've stayed at home, all broody." Spike said as he sat down next to him.

"I'm not staying long. Work, ya know. Never ends." He said as he looked at his friend. Though as of late, it was kind of difficult. Spike was so out going; the proverbial social butterfly. But the only reason their friendship truly remained was because the loneliness in Angel got along with the lonely alter ego buried deep within Spike- William. Though their losses weren't the same, it still hurt just as much.

"Come on, Angel. This is a celebration. So let's celebrate." Spike said as he slapped him on the shoulder.

"I am, Spike. See? I've already got my drink." Angel said as he held up said bottle.

"Yea, well, 'you're never fully dressed without your smile.'" He said, smirking at him. Angel quirked an eyebrow before responding.

"Quoting Little Orphan Annie, I see?" Angel asked with humor in his eyes.

"Well, ya know. Dawn and her damn tapes... I swear I've got PBS' lineup memorized for the whole soddin' week." Spike said as he got up to get a beer for himself at the cooler.

"You didn't bring anyone?" Angel questioned when Spike came back to the table. Spike gave a long, exasperated sigh.

"Bloody hell. Come on, you know I like to be available if there's gonna be pretty women around."

"Spike, have you ever considered slowing down? I mean just a bit?" Spike pretended to mull this over in his mind before answering him.

"Well, Angel. I dunno. Call me old fashioned, but what's wrong with living in sin? I mean, look at you. You don't plan on being a monk for the rest of your life, do you?"

"Hey, I'll move on my own time, thank you." Angel said defensively.

"Alright, alright." Spike said as he held up his hands in mock surrender. He knew when to back off. Just then, Xander and Willow entered through the back door.

"Hey guys! How's it goin?" Willow said cheerfully. Angel and Spike smiled at her in turn. It was hard to ever be grumpy around Willow. Xander nodded at the two men before pulling up a chair for his wife at the table.

"Xander, I see the little woman let you out tonight." Spike said jokingly.

"Yea, cause I did all my homework and cleaned my room like a good boy before I left." Xander joked back as he sat down.

"Oh, Xander, Spike. You two are so silly. Angel, it's good to see you. You're looking well." Willow said in a bubbly tone.

"Thanks. You're looking lovely as usual, Willow." Angel replied.

"So, who else is coming?" Xander asked.

"Well, some of Lilah's lot and Giles and Anya." Spike said, taking a healthy swig.

"Really? Well this is definitely going to be an interesting evening." Xander said as he rose from his chair to get Willow and himself a drink. What he didn't know was how much of an interesting evening it was going to be...

******

"God, Cordy. I just don't see why we had to show up together. You're a grown ass woman.” Buffy groused as they approached the front door.

"Buffy, just because I didn't bring a date doesn't mean that I have to show up all alone like some loser. Besides, you shouldn't be complaining cause we all know how much of a crap driver you are. You're gonna need someone sober to drive you home. And if you vomit in my car, I'll have to kill you." Cordelia said as she rang the bell.

"Cordy, you know I'd never damage your lil' red Corvette. And hey! I'm not as bad a drinker as you're trying to make me out to me." Buffy said, a little put out by the fact that she thought she wasn't a responsible drinker.

"Yea right! You totally go all cave woman when you drink too much!" Cordelia retorted. Just then Lilah opened the door, all smiles and false cheerfulness at having all of those people in her home when it just should've been her and Wes having mind blowing sex.

"Ladies. Welcome to our humble abode." She said as she let them in. Cordelia sported a horrified expression on her face.

"Oh god! Where is everybody? We can't be fashionably late if we're the first ones here!" Cordelia exclaimed.

"Hey, not to worry. Everyone's out back." Lilah soothed.

"Including the birthday boy? Gotta give him his b-day licks." Buffy said.

"Yes, he is. But if anyone's hitting Wes it'll be me and you know it. But hey, those two hotties I mentioned are out there. How's bout you two go take a look see?" Lilah said as she walked away, heading towards the back. Her two friends followed.

The first thing Spike noticed was the huge knockers on the leggy brunette. Her short, tight burgundy dress showed off all of her curves. Then the fiery blonde came swaying in right behind her in her form fitting red halter dress and four inch heels. They both screamed sex.

"So many treats. Which to feast upon first?" Spike muttered to Angel. Angel of course ignored the innuendo and listened attentively as Lilah introduced Cordelia and Buffy. He had to admit they were pretty, and they also came dateless. Huh. Wes always was a tricky son of a bitch.

The first thing Buffy noticed was the shockingly white blond hair out at the table. God, what was this guy thinking when he decided to bash himself in the head with a bottle of peroxide? Buffy thought. Then she observed the rest of the package and decided that he was sexy as hell. And actually, the hair kind of worked. Then she noticed the brunette man with the goofy expression on his face, looking as if he were going to drool up a pool of saliva. To his right was a smiling red head woman with kind eyes, and next to the peroxide guy another brunette man with sad, soulful eyes. He was cute, but seemed he would be awfully lame. Hmm. Cordelia can have him she thought. She wanted to test out the blond, salty goodness. Wes, standing by the table of party guests, politely waved to the two as they came to their seats.

"Here we go." She whispered to Cordelia as all kinds of naughty thoughts did a marathon in her mind.