Chapter 2: Souls and Death

“It did more than just hurt her.” Spike said. They heard a groan from the living room and walked to where Buffy lay on the couch. She was now sitting up and cradling her left arm softly. Spike sat down across from her and grabbed her messed up arm with his right arm, and with his left, he grabbed her good arms shoulder.

“Rupes, get a wash cloth so she can bite it.” Spike said, Giles nodded and left into the kitchen.

“What happened?” Buffy whispered. Spike shushed her.

“I’ll tell you right after we get your arm all fixed up. Ok, luv?” Spike said. Buffy nodded. Giles came back and handed the wash cloth to Spike. He put it in Buffy’s mouth.

“It’s going to hurt, Buffy. But that’s the only to get it better. Only hurt for a minute.” Spike pushed back Buffy’s shoulder with left arm, and with his right, pulled her bad arm towards him. With a loud ‘pop’ and a whimper from Buffy Spike knew that the problem was fixed.

Now with the other problem.

“What happened to Nostifret?” Buffy asked Spike after she pulled the cloth from her mouth. Giles grabbed it from Spike and put it into the laundry room.

“Nostifret?” Giles asked.

“The Morkilm demon… That I killed.” Spike said. Giles stopped.

“That you killed?” Giles asked, “But what about the smoke?”

“It got into Buffy.” Spike said sadly. Giles started to clean his glasses, and Buffy looked at both of the brits in front of her, waiting for an explanation.

“What does that mean?” She asked. She glared at them and Giles decided to answer her question.

“Whenever a Morkilm demon dies, black smoke seeps out and finds a host. The smoke gives the host a few glimpses into the future of what their life could have been if it didn’t infect the person.” Giles said.

“’Of what their life could have been’? What does that mean Giles?” Buffy asked.

“Buffy, it’s going to kill you.” Spike said. Buffy gasped and shook her head ‘no’. Then she got up and ran out of Giles’s house. Spike crawled onto Giles’s couch and put his hands over his face. Crying into them, he started to curse the Powers That Be and himself for not getting her out of there safely. Then something happened. Spike’s eyes went strait foreword, and he didn’t blink.

…………………………(Vision)

“I can feel it, Buffy.” Spike said amazed, he looked up at the hole in the ceiling.

“What?” Buffy asked. Spike looked at her.

“My Soul. It’s really there. Kind of stings.” Spike said, “…. Go on then.”

“No. No, you’ve done enough. You could still-.” Buffy started to say, but Spike interrupted her.

“No, you've beat them back. It's for me to do the cleanup.” Spike smiled. A large piece of ceiling fell a few feet away, but neither of the two noticed. They were to busy staring into each other, wising that none of this was happening.

A voice called from upstairs, “Buffy, come on!”

“Gotta move, Lamb. I think it’s fair to say school’s out for the bloody summer.” Spike said.

“Spike.” Buffy pleaded worriedly.

“I mean it, I gotta do this.” Spike said. He held out his hand. Buffy held out her hand also. Their hands touched and fire engulfed where the two met. Neither felt it though.
“I love you.” Buffy admitted softly, she looked into his eyes.

“No, you don't. But thanks for saying it.” Spike said. The ground shook once more. They pulled their hands apart and stared into each others eyes.

“Now go!” Spike warned. Buffy nodded and ran up the stairs, “I wanna see how it ends.”

Spike threw his arms up to the heavens. His body burnt up peacefully and then fell to the ground as dust.

…………………………..(Real life)

“Spike, Spike. Are you OK?” Giles asked. Spike looked at Giles with tears pouring down.

“I have to find her, I have to find Buffy.” Spike said, be bolted out of the house and followed her scent till he reached an alley several blocks away.

“Spike. I saw… I don’t - and the fire, and you-you had a soul.” She shook her head and crossed her arms insecurely.

“I know Buffy, I saw it too.” Spike whispered. He sat next to her on the ground. She looked up at him confused.

“You? Did you get infected too?” She asked.

“I did.” Spike said. Buffy slid closer to him and leaned her head on his shoulder.

“So you saw what I saw.” She asked.

“Every second.” Spike whispered. Buffy wrapped her arms around Spike and he leaned into her shoulder, “I saw my own death.”

“I wasn’t talking about that, Spike.” Buffy said. Spike looked at her, wide eyed, remembering the other part of their vision.

I love you….

No, you don’t. But thanks for saying it…..

And they sat there next to each other. Though neither one of them spoke, they started to trust one another.

Spike and Buffy sat there most of the night, and when Spike sensed the soon-to-be rising sun he pulled himself to his feet. His eyes met with Buffy and she knew it was time to go. Buffy stood up, and walked beside him. She watched as he lit a cigarette and she grimaced in disgust.

“Do you have any idea how unhealthy that is, Spike.” She asked him. He smiled and looked at her.

“Vampire, Luv. It can’t hurt me.” Spike said. Buffy pulled it from his lips and threw it on the ground. At his annoyed expression she laughed.

“Ever heard about second hand smoke?” Buffy asked, “It kills.”

“Your dieing anyways.” Spike growled as he pulled out another.

“Right.” Buffy said, “Listen Spike.”

She stopped walking and wiped away one of her rebel tears that had escaped by the cause of his comment.

“What?” He asked, shifting his cigarette around so that it wouldn’t fall out as he spoke. Spike turned to her.

“I’m sorry, pet.” Spike immediately apologized.

“I’m kind of happy I’m dying now. I didn’t look to happy in that small glimpse of the could be future.”

“Don’t be, Pet. Maybe it’s all bullocks. It’s tricking us, or something.” Spike said. Buffy shrugged and started to walk again.

“Or it could be completely true.” Buffy said.

“Or that.” Spike agreed.

“So what does this mean?” She asked, “Do we go through with our life, pretending that none of this is happening? Or do we make a list of things to do before we die?…. Or what?”

Spike stopped walking, took one last drag of his cigarette and threw it on the ground.

“How long should the list be?” was all he said as they stepped into the safeness known as Giles’s house. They were met with the scared and sad expressions of all of the Scooby’s except Anya. And when the Scooby’s saw them they ran over to and crowded Buffy, pushing Spike out of the way and into the kitchen. Spike jumped over the counter and sat on the couch, waiting for the right moment to talk to red.

Another minute passed and Buffy pulled her way through her friends.

“Sorry, guys.” She smiled as she sat on the couch next to Spike, “We need to talk about business.” The Scooby all sat down and no one spoke for a moment.

“Red, I was wondering if there was some sort of spell that might be able to save Buffy.” Spike said, he looked at Buffy through the corner of his eye and caught her gaze.

“Me and Tara have already looked into it. Apparently there’s an herb that acts like a sort of…. It acts like a drug. Y’no the illegal kind.” Willow said, whispering the last part, “Y’no, crack.”

“Yes, Willow, I believe were all aware of crack.” Buffy smiled. Willow smiled also and continued.

“The book says that the stoned victim scares away whatever inside the victims body. And in this case, I’m hoping that it scares out that black smoke thing.” Willow said.

“But wouldn’t it try to find another host?” Spike asked and Willow nodded.

“But that’s where this comes in.” Willow pointed to a fan in Giles’s home, but Spike and Buffy couldn’t hear her. There were having another vision.

……………………………….........(Vision)

Willow smiled at Tara, and put her hands in her pockets. She and Tara had just decided that today was ‘get away from evil day’ and every one was going to enjoy a nice dinner and go see a movie. But faintly they heard a scream, and a gunshot. Next thing they knew the window broke and willows white shirt was stained red with blood.

“Willow, your shirt.” Is the last thing Tara said as she fell over onto the ground. Willow gasped, fell to the ground next to her love, hoping to hear a heartbeat.

But none was found.

………………………………(Real life)

As soon as the trance was over, Buffy and Spike immediately looked at Tara and Willow.

“What is it?” Willow asked, Tara grabbed Willows hand.

“D-Did you see something?” Tara asked, she was scared.

“Yes…. We did.” Buffy said. She hid her head into Spikes arm and fought the tears.

“I saw…” Spike tried to say. He didn’t know how to say it. He liked Tara and Willow a lot.

“Tara was shot, and she… Died.” Spike said, Willow leaned over to Tara and pulled herself as close to Tara as she could.

“Who - Who did it?” Willow asked.

“It was a man.” Spike said, “There was yelling in the background.”

“Was it us yelling?” Willow asked.

“No, I think it happened outside in my back yard.” Buffy said.

“The shot broke the window, it came from outside.” Spike finished, and Buffy nodded. Willow and Tara didn’t move and Xander started to talk.

“I though you said that they saw their future only.” Xander said, he leaned foreword in the couch.

“It’s supposed to.” Giles said. He pulled off his glasses and started to clean them.

“Maybe it was me or Spike that caused her death.” Buffy said, Tara stood up off the couch.

“I’m going to go home.” Tara said, Willow also followed her.

“Here, I’ll go with you.” Willow said.

“I’ll go.” Anya said standing up. Willow looked hesitant.

“I am unbelievably bored, so die to the boredom, I have full rights to go.” Anya grinned, Willow sat down back onto the couch.

“Plus, Red, we need you.” Spike said. He grabbed Buffy’s hand and squeezed.

“Um…. OK.” Willow said. She waved at Tara and Anya, and they waved back.

“So, you want me to find a way to help you two, Huh?” Willow asked.

“Yea.” Buffy said.

“I’ll find something, but it might take a while. I think that there is two of them. One for humans and one for demons.” Willow smiled nervously.

“Find the human one first.” Spike said, he looked at Buffy for a second, “It’s more important.”

“So, how long does Willow have to find them?” Xander asked. Giles pulled his wandering eyes off of Buffy and Spikes hands and looked at Xander.

“The book says they have a week.” Giles said. Willow looked at Giles.

“There’s a book for it?” Willow asked. Buffy looked at Willow and smiled.

“Were talking about Giles. There’s always a book.” Buffy said. Willow ignored Buffy and turned to Giles.

“It might be able to help.” Willow said, with that Giles left to get the Book.

“It only had a few paragraphs. That’s because those are suppose to be extinct. I didn’t think I needed it.” Giles said. He and Willow left, leaving Buffy, Spike, and Xander alone in the green living room.