Author's Chapter Notes:
okay this is the last chapter people....for real this time..haha.
Chapter 9: Falling

I was so scared. I didn’t think that the gun was loaded. I just thought that Angel was trying to scare him, you know? But when-when that shot went off…there must have been a thousand thoughts going through my head, cause I didn’t know what to do. Angel was gone before I could even blink. My first instinct was to go to Spike.

Running over to Spike’s limp body, she ran a hand over his cheek, and holding his hand. She looked down at his abdomen, and saw the mass amount of blood soaking his dark shirt.

“Come on baby. Just hold on okay. I’ll be right back.” She whispered as she reluctantly let go of him and ran to the phone and called 911.

She told them the address and what happen. After hanging up she ran to the bathroom and grabbed a hand towel.

When she got back to Spike, his eyes were fluttering closed. “No! Spike, open your eyes, please…don’t close your eyes, you have to stay awake, do you hear me?” she told him as tears poured down her cheeks.

Spike nodded his head slowly as well as he could and smiled. Buffy smiled back and placed the folded towel on his wound, applying a bit of pressure to stop the bleeding.

Seeing him wince at the pain, she bit her lip, and eased up a little bit. “I’m so sorry, baby. But I have to stop the bleeding.” She placed a gentle kiss on his lips, letting a tear drip to his cheek.

He grabbed for her hand and squeezed it tight. “I love you, so much Buffy. You need to know that.” His voice was strained, trying to push past the lump in his throat.

“No! Don’t! Don’t say your goodbyes, William.” Her tone was firm but was shaky as the thought of Spike leaving her went through her mind. She continued in a soft, whimper, her voice faltering. “You promised. You promised you would never leave me.”

The pain Spike saw in her eyes gave him every reason in the world to fight the pain, and not to give up.

“I never break my promises.” He smiled at her, and tried to forget the pain that shot through him when he reached up to cupped her cheek.

After a few moments, the ambulance rushed in the door with a stretcher. They lifted him on it carefully, and hooked up his IV. As one of the paramedics stated his condition to one following alone side him, Buffy jogged by the stretcher, holding his hand and letting him knowing everything was going to be okay.

Once they got outside, she told the paramedics she was going to ride in the back with him.

* * * * *

Buffy paced the waiting room, and glanced up at the doors to the ER room. They told her that they would have to do surgery on him to remove the bullet, and let her know how he was doing when they were done.

While she waited, she called her parents and his parents, letting them know what happened. She balled on the phone with his mother, feeling horrible, and saying how sorry she was for getting him caught up in her web of problems. They let her know that none of this was her fault and told her that they were there for her.

Her dad was in absolute shock, never thinking that Angel could do such a thing. That talk with her dad raised a thought in her head. With filling out forms and calling their families, she forgot to call the police.

She walked up to the front desk, and asked to use the phone. Once she was talking to an operator, she told her that an Angel Carter shot her boyfriend. She described him and gave him all the information she could, as well as what had happened earlier that day. She told her that they would give her a call as soon as they have any information on his whereabouts.

Just as she hung up the phone, the doctor walked through the double doors, and pulled down his facemask. Buffy ran over to him. Her mouth went dry when she saw the look on his face. It was full of sympathy.

“Miss. Summers. I have some good news and some bad news. They good news is: that the surgery was a complete success. The bullet is removed, and there is no severe damage to his organs. He should heal in a few months tops.” Buffy felt completely relieved, and let out a content sigh. Then she realized there was also bad news. “The bad news is: after the surgery he slipped into a coma.” Buffy felt tears at the rim of her eyes, causing everything around her to blur. “He isn’t showing any signs of waking up soon. There’s a possibility that, if he doesn’t wake in a few weeks…there’s a chance that he may never-”

Buffy cut him off. “Don’t. I don’t want to hear the rest of that sentence.” Tears fell down her face, and swallowed hard. “Um, when can I see him?” her words trailed into a whisper when her voice got hitched in her throat.

“I’ll take you there right now.” Buffy followed the doctor to his room, and opened the door for her. Buffy took a cleaning breath, preparing herself to see him.

She stepped into the room and gasped, covering her mouth at the sight before her. Her eyes went wide when she saw him hooked up to machines and the tubes that were coming out of his nose and arms.

She shakily walked over to the chair, and sat down before her knees gave out. She reached over and grabbed his lifeless hand, bringing to her mouth and dropping a light kiss on the back of it.

“Come on, Spike…you have to wake up, I need you. Baby? Please, I love you so, so much. I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have you with me.” She held his hand in both of her tiny ones, and rested her forehead on it. Light sobs racked her body.

Her head shot up when she heard her name. “Buffy?”

She looked up at the door and saw her parents and his standing there, fresh tears in their eyes. His mother rushed to Buffy and gave her a comforting hug.

“I’m so sorry, Gail.” Buffy sobbed into her shoulder. “I tried to stop him but-”

“It’s alright honey it’s not you’re fault.” She pulled away and wiped her tears.

Buffy had only talked to Spike’s parents over the phone, when they had spent that week together. She and Gail had bonded pretty well, and well as her and his father, Trent.

Gail looked over at her son, and hurt crossed her face. She trailed a hand down his arm, then turned around and buried her face in her husband’s chest.

Buffy’s parents then walked in and both wrapped her up in a hug.

It was just getting harder and harder, as time went by. We all sat in that room quiet, listening to the sound of the heart monitor. I knew that if I said anything, I would start crying again. I couldn’t do that…I had to stay calm. It would help the others do the same. I just prayed to any God listening, that he would wake up.

* * * * *
3 days later

Buffy was sitting in the hospital room curled up in the chair, her feet tucked under her, and her hands cuddled to her chest. She stared down at the floor, waiting for the officers to come.

She had gotten a phone call saying that they located Angel Carter, and he was being held captive until more evidence was against him. They told Buffy to come to the station, but she firmly refused and told them she wasn’t leaving her boyfriend.

“Miss. Summers? Hi, I’m Detective Cordelia Chase, and this is Detective Riley Finn.” The two walked in and stood in front of Buffy.

She looked up at then with tear stained cheeks, and then stood slowly. She shook their hands with a small smile. “Hi.”

“Miss. Summers-” Cordelia started.

“Buffy. Call me Buffy.” She cut in.

“Buffy, I know this is a really bad time, but we need you to take a statement. Just let us know what happened the day it happened,.” then women grabbed her hand and leaned in closer to her, speaking softly to make sure that her partner couldn’t hear her. “I just want to let you know…that I’m taking this case personally, and I’m going to make sure that Angel Carter gets nailed for this. I want his ass locked up just as bad as you do.”

She smiled at her and stood back, letting Riley Finn ask the questions. Riley pulled out the tape recorder, and held it under his mouth. “August 17th, 2005 at 12:30 pm, talking to Buffy Summers on the ‘Angel Carter’ case. Buffy can you tell me what happened that day before William Thornton was shot?”

Buffy told him exactly what happened from when Angel showed her the pictures till she called the police. She willed herself not to cry but it just wasn’t working.

After making her statement she told Cordelia to call her as soon as she got more prove against Angel.

1 month later

Buffy opened her burning eyes, and yawned. She lifted her top half off the hospital bed. She looked up at Spike’s peaceful face, and kissed him softly.

“Hey, baby…I’m getting really sick of the smell of this hospital, so you’re gunna have to wake up soon.” She told him with a scrunched nose.

“Buffy, honey…you haven’t had something to eat in days. You should get out for a bit…get some air.” Joyce, Buffy’s mother, came in and sat on the arm of the chair she Buffy was sitting in.

“No, mom. I’m not leaving. I have a feeling he’s gunna wake up soon. I’m not leaving till he does.” Buffy kept her eyes on Spike the whole time.

She looked horrible. Her nose was red from wiping it, her eyes bloodshot from crying, dark circles under them from lack of sleep and she must have lost 10 to 15 pounds. She had to admit it was starting to take its toll on her. She felt like she would be having her own bed in this hospital soon if she didn’t feed her hungry stomach.

“Sweetie…” Joyce started gently. “It’s been a month already…I don’t think he’ll wake up. Baby I’m sorry, but you heard the doctors.” She placed a hand on her shoulder.

Buffy continued to look at Spike, watching his chest barely move up and down. “Mom…” Joyce’s face filled with hope that she would go home and live with the fact that he wasn’t coming back. “You’re right…I should eat something, can you go down to the café and get me a sandwich?” Buffy completely ignored her mother’s previous words, and pulled out a 5-dollar bill from her back pocket.

Joyce grabbed it with a sigh, and walked out of the room.

I didn’t want to believe it…but a part of me knew he wasn’t gunna wake up. A part of me knew that my mother was right, and I should just give up. But another part wouldn’t have it. The part of me that loved him till the end of the world and back…the part that wouldn’t give up on him no matter what happen or what the probabilities were.

When Spike didn’t wake that day, she stayed one more night, before she would go home and take a shower, and get a proper sleep. She knew that she wouldn’t sleep well if Spike wasn’t there with her, but she needed to get out of that hospital.

When she got home, she didn’t get to rest for more than 10 minutes before the doorbell rang. She got up slowly and answered the door.

“Buffy…it’s nice to see you again.” Cordelia gave her a greeting smile and handed her a file. “This is everything we have on Mr. Carter. We went to the hotel and got them to give us some tapes. The one in the hallway of the floor you were staying on has him, standing at the door and pulling the gun on Mr. Thornton. Damn security guards are supposed to be watching the frickin cameras…anyways, we also found the gun stashed in the vent, in the motel room we found him at.”

She looked through the report that started with: ‘Angel Carter is being charged for attempted murder’. She was happy to see that he wasn’t going to get away with it. “Thank you, Ms. Chase.”

“Hey, don’t mention it.” She looked behind her and saw another woman walking up behind her. She turned back to Buffy. “Buffy, this is Fred Burkle. She’s a novelist, and she wants to write about you’re story…would you by any chance be interested?”

Buffy really wasn’t ready to talk about it yet, but she told her that she would let her know when she was.

* * * * *

1 and a half months later

“…I cried for weeks. The doctor just told me that it was no use keeping him on life support, and that there was no way he was going to wake up now. It was too late. And they were right. He wasn’t going to wake up.” Tears ran down Buffy’s face as she finished the story, she wiped them away, sniffling.

“How did it end?” Fred asked tears springing to her eyes as well. “If you don’t mind me asking.” She adjusted her glasses, as she took down more notes.

“I wouldn’t know.” She said standing up and pulling her coat on.

“What do you mean?”

“I never let the doctors pull the plug. I’m uh…I’m going to see him right now. I still have hope…and I still believe in him.” She grabbed her keys off the coffee table, as Fred stood up and shook her hand. “Look, Fred, I’ll call you when I have the end of the story okay?”

“Thank you, Miss. Summers, this really means a lot to me.” Fred said as she walked to the door. She turned around to Buffy one last time before she walked out the door. “Oh and Buffy?” she waited until Buffy was looking at her. “You are a very strong woman to be able to tell this story. I really admire you for that.”

Buffy smiled at her and gave her a hug. Over the time she had spent talking to her, they had truly bonded.

Buffy ushered her out the door, and followed after her. They both got in their cars, and drove their separate ways.

* * * * *

Buffy held Spike’s hand, and watching ‘Passions’ in the room. She wanted to know what Spike found so intriguing about it.

“Oh she is so screwed. No way in hell is she gunna be able to survive that.” Buffy spoke to herself.

“Survive what, luv?” his voice was low and raspy, his eyed still shut.

She looked over to Spike. She swore she heard him say something, but he still looked the same as he did when she came in. “Spike?” her voice wavered a bit with uncertainty.

He squeezed her hand as best he could, and smiled. “Hello, sweetheart.” He finally opened his eyes, and she saw the eyes she was longing to see.

“Hey, baby. I knew it; I knew you’d make it. They all told me that you wouldn’t and it was too late but I knew.” Buffy was crying tears of happiness, wanting nothing more than to hug him, but knew it would hurt him.

“Thank you for not giving up.” Spike’s eyes were watering, and didn’t care that he let them fall.

“I’ll never give up.” she smiled at him and gave him a sweet kiss.

“How long have I been out for?”

“Two months, two weeks, and three days.”

“Bloody hell.” He paused for a moment before continuing. “What happened to Angel? Please tell me he’s either: in the big house, or dead.”

“He’s in prison…for attempted murder. We don’t have to worry about him anymore.” She ran her hand through his hair.

“The ponce had what was comin to him. Still wish he was dead though.” He mumbled the last part under his breath.

Buffy let out a little giggle. She then reached down and pulled up his hospital gown carefully. She looked at the wound that was now just a scar. “Your wound healed up pretty good.”

Spike eyed her, looking her up and down. His eyes narrowed. “Pet, are you okay? You look sick…you’ve lost weight; you look like you haven’t slept in weeks…”

“I’m fine now. I just-I couldn’t do much of anything, while you were here. I barely left you’re side. Just the thought that you would wake up when I’m not here worried me.”

Spike squeezed her hand, and rubbed his thumb across the back of her hand. Buffy pressed the call button and they waited for the nurse to come.

* * * * *

Later that night, Buffy lay down beside him on the bed, cuddling into his arms, doing her best not to hurt him.

Even though Spike felt a little pain when she was curled against him, he really didn’t care. He welcomed the pain, because it felt so good to have her back in his arms.

She never thought that she would be able to do this again. She never thought she’d see his gorgeous blue eyes, or that sexy smirk. Never being able to hear him say those three little words.

“Buffy?”

“Hmm?” Buffy was nearly asleep when he spoke up.

“I love you.” A smile grew on her lips.

“I love you too.”


A/N: haha i know cheesy ending but meh. MMMMK ya’ll that’s it!! I didn’t kill Spike…yay for me!! Lolz please send reviews they really mean a lot…I’ll remember it when I make it big time…cuz I know I will…hehe! Anywayz thanks for reading love you all!!

NOTE: PLEASE READ MY NEW STORY "GOOD ENOUGH" POSTING FIRST CHAPTER TONIGHT. and review to tell me what you think so far.