After a night of tossing and turning, Elizabeth had awakened with the dawn. As she sat up in her makeshift cot, Rose re-entered the tent with a handful of clothes.

"I know its not the latest fashion, but these are clean. We dont really have time to mend your nightgown, so this will have to do for now." She said, handing down the cotton garments.

"These will be just fine." Elizabeth said, gratefully accepting the proffered garments. Within just a few moments, she had shed her tattered clothing and donned the simple summer dress. Silently moving behind her, Rose tied the straps of the apron behind the younger woman.

"My word child, if your waist gets much smaller you'll disappear. When was your last meal?" Rose said, spinning Eliabeth around. When Elizabeth only shrugged meekly, Rose gripped her hand and dragged her from the tent.

"Sit down right there, I'll be back in a few" she said brusquely, before turning on her heel and walking away. Only after Rose spoke of it did Elizabeth realize how hungry that she really was. Wrapping her hands tighly around her midsection, she leaned forward and waited for the older woman to return.

William had just placed his shaving blades back into the saddlebag that rested in his tent when Bryant entered.

"Sir, your presence is required in the Officer's tent."

"Very well, please tell them that I will be there in just a moment." He said, reaching for his shirt. Bryant nodded and stepped back from the tent.

William finished dressing, and then followed where his friend had just gone. As he stepped from the tent, he gave himself a moment to adjust to the bright early morning sun. Almost immediately, his eyes drifted to the place where Elizabeth sat.

The tents, campfires, equipment, everything was dull and dirty, coated with the dusty residue of gunpowder. In the midst of the mess, Elizabeth sat quietly, her sun-bleached hair tumbling down her back in soft, messy curls. The faded pale blue cotton of her dress attracted the sunlight around her, giving her an almost ethereal glow.

However beautiful that she appeared though, her stature belied her misery. Whereas it had only been days since he had seen her perched proudly on the rock beside her house, staring out over the lazy river with a daring twinkle in her eye, now she sat in a hunched position, arms curled around herself protectively. The woman with whom he had bantered good-naturedly now sat looking beaten, looking weary.

Although he could hardly blame her for despising him, there was a part of him that hoped one day that would change. Now that her anger had disapated, the bitter sadness that replaced it made her dull and lifeless. He found himself wishing that she would yell and scream at him, that she would explode with the fury that he knew could be found in her restless spirit. Instead, she sat listlessly, defeated. William's shoulders sank with the knowledge that it was he who had done this to her. Had he left her behind to mourn her family, she would have been free to live her life hating him. Instead, he had brought her even lower, forcing her to remain a prisoner. Even while standing there watching her, he could not answer the question that nagged him, why had he brought her there?


Remembering that he was due in the Officers' tent, William turned away from the young woman and walked off, but not before another figure had noticed the man's intense gaze. As Lt. Col. Burbank turned to follow the younger officer, he made a mental note to find out who the blonde girl was, and what she meant to William.

When Rose returned with stale bread and lukewarm coffee, Elizabeth's mouth nearly watered. Because she hadn't eaten for two days, it wouldnt have mattered what she ate. Rose watched as the young woman inhaled the meager meal, placing a hand on her shoulder.

"I'll be in the medical tent if you need me. Take your time" she said, smiling, handing over another piece of bread.



Feeling better after the simple meal, Elizabeth took a deep breath and entered the makeshift hospital. Shocked to see several of the cots empty, Elizabeth looked quickly for the Doctor. She caught sight of him at the far end, and quickly hurried over.

"Where did they go?" She asked, pointing to the empty guerneys. Gazing at her for a moment in confusion, the Doctor finally recognized what the girl was asking.

"I'm sorry my dear, those were the ones that didn't make it through the night." He said, looking back down at the wound he was cleaning.

"But...but there are so many?" Elizabeth said, in disbelief. Although still shocked, she gathered up another cloth and began to wrap the bandage as the Doctor completed his examination.

"During the first several days, the losses are always the heaviest. Some have internal injuries that we didn't know about, some just can't heal quickly enough. Some days, almost as many will die in here as on the battlefield," he said softly. "That's just the way of it." When Elizabeth completed her dressing, the older man gave a nod of approval. The man began to stir fitfully, but Elizabeth placed a hand on his shoulder and stroked it gently, soothing him as she would a child. The man slid back into his slumber without waking, and Elizabeth straightened.

"My dear, you have a natural talent. Perhaps you can go help our young friend over there. His bandages need changing, and I'm afraid he won't find the experience pleasant." Nodding, Elizabeth walked to where the Doctor had suggested. Moving to the boy's head, Elizabeth was relieved to see the amputee from the surgery the night before.

At her approach, his eyes opened. His lips parted, and she could tell at once that he was trying to speak.

"Shhh, its ok. Don't try to speak yet, you've had a rough time of it. Let me get you some water, and then I'll explain, ok?" She said gently. At the boy's barely-perceptable nod, Elizabeth went to fetch some water. When she returned with a small flask, she slid her hand behind the boy's head to help him drink. If he was suprised that he was too weak to hold up his own head, he didn't show it. When he finished drinking, Elizabeth helped him lie back down. Grabbing a cool damp cloth, she began to clean some of the sweat and grime from his forehead. When his frightened blue eyes met hers though, she began speaking to him.

"You had surgery last night, and your body is still very weak. You are going to sleep a lot, which is good. You need to let yourself recover. Please dont try to move, we will help you do that when you are ready. There are some bruises on your throat, which is probably why you cant speak right now." She kept her voice low and soft, so as not to worry the boy. As she washed his forehead, she kept her gaze locked on his, hoping that he wouldn't try to look down to where his leg had once been. Luckily, the blood loss that he had experienced the night before had drained him of all energy, and his body hadn't yet recovered enough for him to be fully conscious.

"I'm going to stay right here, but I want you to close your eyes and try to sleep again, ok?" She was relieved when, without a word, the boy shut his eyes and relaxed. It was only moments until his breathing deepened, and Elizabeth knew he had fallen asleep. Setting aside the cloth, she remained at his side for a few minutes more before moving on to check on the next patient.