Author's Chapter Notes:
Well, heres a big thank you for being so patient! This is only the first of many though :) Thanks for the input. Enjoy!!!
Elizabeth bolted from the tent, gasping for air. She felt like someone had suddenly tightened a corset around her. It was like she couldn't quite catch her breath. Stumbling into the woods, she stepped out blindly, occasionally grasping at trees to help keep her upright in her flight. Low branches and brambles ripped at her clothing, but she felt nothing. Hearing footsteps racing up behind her, she ran faster. She had traveled some distance when she realized that she no longer heard her pursuer. Feeling like she could go no further, she found herself leaning up against an old oak tree in a grassy clearing when she finally came to her senses. She gasped for air and clutched at her side, her lungs burning while her heart felt like it was seizing.

"Bend over slightly, try putting your head between your knees, it will help you regain you balance" came a low voice from behind her. Her adrenaline still racing, Elizabeth's fingers clutched around the scissors that were in her apron pocket. Rashly, she struck out, catching the new arrival off guard.

William jumped backwards nimbly, just missing the pointy edge of the scissors. Still she lashed out though, her eyes blazing like a wildcat's.

"Why are you following me?! Can't you just leave me alone already?" She shrieked at him, her breath coming erratically.

William stretched out his hand, keeping it low, and tried speaking to her like he would a frightened horse.

"It's all right, I am not here to hurt you." He said, but lept backwards again when she advanced. She struck out, the medical tool now a deadly weapon. As the world closed in on her, the only thing on Elizabeth's mind was to attack, to escape. The scissor blade caught in his shirt and tore a small hole, spurring William into action.

"I dont want to hurt you!" He ground out, backing up slowly.

"Just go away!" She cried, her hand shaking violently. She looked around frantically for an escape route, but finding none, she decided her chances were better if she faced him.

"Please, just put those down. We dont have to talk, just come back to the camp." He soothed, his voice soft and reassuring despite the adrenaline that surged through him.

When Elizabeth ignored him and slashed at him again, He dodged again and slipped behind her as she swung out violently. Grabbing her around the waist with one hand, and sliding his other hand down her arm to the wrist of the hand that held the scissors, he locked her in his strong grip, pulling her back up against his chest. Standing behind her, he pressed his cheek to her ear. "Please" he whispered, hoping that she would see reason and give up her fight. He knew that this was dangerous, holding the woman so close to his body. He felt the warmth of her, could feel the tension beneath her smooth skin, and felt her pulse racing at her wrist. Releasing her while she was still so recklessly upset could be dangerous, but holding her so closely was equally as dangerous for his sanity.

Elizabeth, hardly ready to concede victory, fought back. With her free hand, she struck out at his face, using the element of surprise to force the young officer backwards. He took a step though, and pulled her with him.

Elizabeth tried to spin in his embrace, only realizing after great effort that the young man held her in a grip from which she could not break free.

She struggled only for a moment, and then released the scissors. As they fell to the ground, all the fight went out of her, and she would have collapsed had William not held her so tightly. A gut wrenching sob broke free from her small frame, and William felt like something inside of him had torn at that forlorn sound of her cry. He knelt slowly, allowing her to slide bonelessly to the ground. Remaining on his knees, he pulled her even closer, so that her back leaned up against his shoulder. He released her wrist, and she immediately pulled her hand to cover her face, trying the force back the tears that threatened to spill out. William just held the trembling young woman in his arms, whispering words of comfort in her ears.


"Shh now love, its ok." Still she cried though, the tension flowing from her body with every tear.

"Why can't you just let me go?" She asked, her voice a pained whisper. William felt the sharp blade of guilt slice through him at the weakness in her words. "Please, just let me go. I have nothing left, dont you see? I'm empty, and yet you keep me here, a prisoner in a place I don't belong. Isn't this enough?" She wrung her hand out, and lifted her tearstained gaze up to his. For what felt like a lifetime, her green eyes locked on his blue ones, and nothing was said. Unable to take it anymore, Elizabeth looked down at her feet, and her eyes began to fill up. "All right" she whispered, her voice tired and hoarse. "You win. I'll go back to the encampment." She said, pulling away from the soldier so that she could get her feet underneath her.

At the sight of her beautiful face, tearstained and bowed in defeat, something snapped in William. "Wait" he said, snaking out a hand and grabbing her shoulder. Off balance, she fell towards him slightly, and he could not help himself. He tilted her face towards his, and kissed her. Despite the fact that his intention was only to sooth, to comfort, he lost control as he crushed his lips over hers. A small squeak of surprise came from her, and she briefly tried to pull away. When his arm slid behind her though, Elizabeth sighed and leaned into his embrace. His kiss enflamed her, and something inside of her that she thought had died with her family suddenly sparked back to life. Need and desire raced through her veins, and, God help her, she kissed him back. Her hands, scraped and bleeding from her headlong flight into the woods, slid up his arms to his broad shoulders, and she pulled him closer, relishing in the heat of the contact.

When William felt her lips part, and her tongue tentatively probe his mouth, he shuddered as his last restraints snapped. He claimed her mouth, almost violent in his need. Matching his passion though, the young woman before him tightened her grip on his arms, and tilted her head, allowing him better access to her mouth. She consumed him, and he was no longer in control. His hands skimmed over her, as he wanted to touch her like his life depended upon it. His hands flew over her skin, burning to touch her in more intimate places. He reached behind her neck and quickly unbound the back of her dress. His fingers traced the golden skin on her back, and slid the dress forward and off, so that it pooled to the ground where she knelt. He cupped her breasts, relishing the way they fit in his hands. As he traced a thumb over one nipple, she moaned into his mouth.

Intent on pleasing her, William slid his lips to her neck, and then down her chest. Kissing over to one breast, he took her nipple into his mouth and sucked until it pebbled. Thrilled with her response, he turned his attention to the other one and did the same.

Elizabeth threw her head back with wild abandon, and gave herself over to the emotions that raced through her. Wanting, no, needing to see more of him, she gripped his chin and lifted his head back to hers. While she kissed him, her delicate fingers deftly undid the buttons on the front of his shirt. William watched her, his blue yes blazing, as she drank in the sight of him. While he had been ethereal in the moonlight, he was positively god-like in the sun. His pectorals were smooth and wide, giving way to broad, strong shoulders and arms. His waist was narrow, and the muscles rippled across his flat stomach, and tapered down in a deep vee to the waistline of his pants.

This time when they kissed, the skin-on-skin contact electrified them both. Elizabeth threw herself into his embrace, wrapping her arms up and around his neck, pressing herself up against him. A deeply feminine pride filled her when she felt him through his pants, hard and demanding against her stomach. William growled and gripped her waist, pulling her closer and thrusting his hips towards her. While one hand secured her to him, the other slowly moved around her front, tracing the flat plane of her stomach, and then moving downwards. When he slid his hand down, Elizabeth rocked her hips forward, granting him access to her most private area. When he cupped her, he could feel her wetness between his fingers. He smiled against her lips.

"You want me as much as I want you right now" he said, more a command then a question. Elizabeth was silent though, kissing him in response. When one of his fingers slipped inside of her though, she moaned out loud.

"Shh little one, its all right now" he whispered into her ear, moving his finger within her. When he felt her walls begin to tighten around him, he slipped a second finger inside of her. and moved his thumb forward over her clit. When she began to come apart, no longer able to support herself on her knees, William slipped his arms behind her and rocked her backwards towards the ground, sliding her dress completely off of her legs.

Reckless with need, Elizabeth hooked her legs behind William, and she pulled him down over top of her. His hands were once again all over her, and her eyes slid closed. Not caring that he still had his pants on, Elizabeth tilted her hips towards him, needing contact. When his hardness came into contact with the heat between her legs, he thrust forward almost uncontrollably. Possessed with the need to be inside of her, he quickly reached down and unbuttoned his pants. As soon as his hard cock sprang free, he realized that he could wait no longer. Cursing his impatience, he positioned himself at her opening.

"I'm sorry love, this may hurt a bit" he said, immediately thrusting inside of her. Already slick and relaxed with pleasure, Elizabeth only felt a quick pain as he broke through her barrier. Very quickly though, the pain began to recede. When William rocked backwards, Elizabeth lifted her hips to give him better access. When he thrust back inside of her, the feeling was so intense that Elizabeth cried out, locking her legs behind him and pulling him deeper. Using every ouce of steely resolve he had, William kept himself in check as he pushed in and out of her, kissing her neck, her breasts, her lips. Only when he felt her legs begin to tremble and her walls tighten around his cock again did he give himself over to his most primal of urges. As she began to climb her peak, he slid his arms underneath her and lifted her closer to him, driving deeper. His pace escalated, and when he felt her clench around him, he thrust one more time, as deep as he could go. His cock twitched violently inside of her, and he spilled himself into her, groaning loudly.

Elizabeth saw stars, that was the only way that she could explain it. Her body went limp as he collapsed to the grass next to her. They both lay on their backs, the unseeing gazes lifted to the sky. As her heartrate began to slow and the trembling of her body began to cease, the harsh reality of what had just happened crashed over Elizabeth like a tidal wave. Torn between the intense emotions that the soldier next to her invoked, and the deep grief that even now threatened to overwhelm her, Elizabeth felt the numbing pain begin to return.

William, satiated and blissfully happy, turned to kiss the woman next to him. Rising up onto one elbow, he began to lean forward but stopped short when he saw the familiar haunted look return to her eyes. Cursing himself for his own reckless hope that something had changed between them, he fell backwards once more, damning the gods above for their twisted sense of irony. The one woman that he desired above all others, was the one woman who he could never truly have. He could give her all the pleasure in the world, but it would never outmatch the pain that he himself had dealt her. She may be his prisoner, but she would never truly be his. His hands fisted as he cursed himself. Even now, he still wanted her.

Confused and upset, Elizabeth desperately tried to think of something to say. She had never been intimate with a man, yet she instinctively knew that there wasnt supposed to be this wall between them. A part of her wanted to run away, to banish him from her thoughts, or curse him for the rest of her life. Another part of her wanted to grant him innocence, and beg him to stay with her, just a little longer. Alone with her warring throughts, Elizabeth slowly stood and gathered her dress, pulling it up her slender body. Before she returned to camp, she spared herself one last glance at the man behind her. He was sitting up, still naked, but the tension had returned. She saw the muscles in his arms and back tense with anger, and she quickly strode out of the clearning, a single tear sliding down her cheek.