Elizabeth spent the rest of the afternoon helping to reinforce sections of the medical tent that had collapsed during the storm. She had taken only a brief break to rinse the river mud from her body and exchange her dirty clothes for a clean cotton dress. Quickly afterwards she busied herself with changing bandages, cleansing wounds, and washing sheets. The Doctor had stopped by to see her for a moment, asking her to check in on the young amputee. Grateful for the work which kept her mind busy, Elizabeth gladly obliged.

She had spent nearly an hour with the boy, helping him to sit up and eat, while helping him to stretch and move his remaining limbs. Although still depressed, much of the young soldier's bitterness had eased. Despite herself, Elizabeth was coming to enjoy the company of the young man, whose name she now knew was Elias.

Elias, or Eli as he preferred to be known, had joined the war effort at age 13, having run away from home and lied about his age on his enlistment papers. Although the army had accepted him, the commanding office of his squad hadn't bought it for a moment. Unwilling to turn an able body away though, the Sergeant had relegated him to a page boy, running messages between reserve units. As the war dragged on though, the boy had been promoted to scout, and oftentimes carried orders up to the front lines of the Army of the Potomac. Most recently, he had been assigned as a runner for General John Reynolds, and had been charged to take the dispatch confirming the advancement of Confederate Troops towards Gettysburg. Unfortunately, he had been caught in the artillery crossfire when Confederate General Archer attacked the 2 nd Wisconsin Infantry at McPherson's Farm. A cannon-ball had ripped though the lines, striking him in the leg and throwing him from his horse. Luckily for young Eli, the Union Infantry quickly overcame the confederate forces and retook the field on which the young boy lay. Eli had been picked up from the battlefield, unconscious and bleeding, and had been moved back towards Union reserves. Once he developed a fever though, his memory failed him. The next thing he remembered was waking up in the medical tent, with the pretty young blonde looking after him.

Elizabeth had forgiven the young man for his initial bitterness and anger, for his young life would be forever changed. Under her gentle care, his spirits were slowly lifting, and his condition was quickly improving.

"Do you think I'll be able to ride again?" He asked, watching her as she re-bandaged the stump that remained of his right leg. Tying off the corner, Elizabeth didn't look up, but smiled anyway.

"Of course. It might take you a while to learn how to balance, but I'm sure you will pick it up quickly." she said, admiring the tidy job she had done.

"I used to be the fastest rider in my school. Three years in a row I won the race at Harvest Day." The boy chattered on. "It didn't matter what horse I rode, I was pretty much unbeatable."

Elizabeth said back on her stool, smiling softly at his boyish bragging. Despite everything he had been through, these moments of immaturity on his part told her that at least some part of his boyhood still remained.

"Is it true you jumped a five foot jump in the pouring rain to go after those men? Eli asked, youthful amazement in his voice. Elizabeth looked up at him quickly.

"What? Where did you hear that?" She said, somewhat shocked that news had traveled so quickly.

"So its true?!" The boy asked, oblivious to her question. Now amused though, Elizabeth rocked back on her stool.

" Like you, I've grown up riding and racing with the boys. They always thought it was funny to try to fun me off the race path, so I taught my horse to go over the obstacles that would end up in our way," Elizabeth explained. She grinned at the

awestruck look on Eli's face. "But the jump wasnt five feet, it was only four."

"Ahem" came an unfamiliar male voice from behind Elizabeth. Both she and Eli turned to see the new visitor. "I see you are doing your part in entertaining our younger troops with tale tales." Burbank stood, looming over the two. Startled, Elizabeth scrambled to her feet.

"Sir." She said, inclining her head slightly. The older officer looked down at her, his gaze imperious and judgmental. Determined not to flinch, Elizabeth straightened her back and tilted her chin up, looking the oder man in the eye. Burbank felt a flash of anger at this young woman, this confederate captive, who dared look back at him as an equal. The nerve! Quickly, he repressed his momentary displeasure, and instead forced a grin on his face.

"Ms. Summers, I presume?" He asked, forcing himself to be charming. Although she nodded politely, Elizabeth found that there was something about this man that she didn't like. His smile was more like a leer, and Elizabeth had always despised lecherous old men. "Forgive my intrusion. Lt. Burbank," he said, bowing gallantly.

"Elizabeth Summers" she responded, dipping into a slight curtsy. After all, disliking the man was hardly reason enough to forget manners. "And this is Elia-"

"-Yes yes," Burbank said, dismissing her words with a wave. "Ms. Summers, it pains me to have to remind you that, as a prisoner, your leisure time is to remain at a minimum. With all the patients here in this tent I hardly think it fitting that you allow a single one to monopolize your time."

"Sir, I was just changing his-" Elizabeth began, shocked by the man's audacity.

"If you feel that you are not up to the task, or that there is not quite enough work here to keep you busy, then I can easily change your situation. Are we clear?" He asked, staring her down, wordlessly daring her to challenge his comments. The young woman held his gaze though.

"Lieutenant, I can forgive your misunderstanding quite easily, for you spend little time in this hospital tent to be aware of the workload, or of the actions of its staff. Although your momentary glimpse into my afternoon has misled you to believe otherwise, there is much to do, and I am very busy doing it. Now if you do not mind, I beg your leave. Perhaps we can continue this conversation when there are not dozens of men lying on their deathbeds." She said quickly, her barbed words issued with a smile. Burbank stepped towards her, and then smiled.

"My dear, it seems that the rain has dampened your spirits, as well as your senses. What a fiery little temper you have there." he mused. When he continued, his voice was low enough so that no one else could hear, and his tone was far from friendly. "You are the one who seems to be misled. Watch your tongue, or you may find your current situation can change quite drastically." He reached up a hand and grasped her chin. Although from a distance, the contact may have seemed innocent enough, Elizabeth felt his fingers biting into the the softness of her throat. "Chin up my dear, things could be worse," he said with an acidic smile. Then, as quickly as he had approached, he spun on his heel and strode out.

Elizabeth stood straight as a rail, unmoving, until the older officer had left them.

"Elizabeth?" Eli asked, confusion marring his youthful face. Elizabeth remained silent for a moment, willing the anger to dissipate. When she finally had herself back under control, she turned to the patient with a bitter smile plastered on her face.

"And to think you were worried about things being dull here in the tent..." she said, her tone slowly lightening. "It appears I am not so good at making friends as I once was."

Eli only looked at her with worry though, failing to see the humor in the situation. "What did he whisper to you?" Elizabeth shook her head though, unwilling to involve the boy in her problems.

"Nothin in particular. Never mind my problems though. I want you to try sitting up on your own in the next few days, ok?" Elizabeth said, changing the subject. Recognizing her unwillingness to speak about the confrontation, Eli relented.

"Just be careful around him, please?" he asked softly. Elizabeth smiled at the boy fondly. Although he was still young, experience had wizened him beyond his years. She nodded, leaned forward to ruffle his hair gently, then stood.

"I will. Now I am going to see to some other patients, and I will come back and check on you in a while. Try to get some rest." She stated. The young soldier obliged, closing his eyes. With a sad smile, Elizabeth watched him for a moment, and then walked to the next patient.