After the devastation suffered during the summer of 1863, the fall was a difficult time for both sides. Union troops traveled southward during the cool evenings of September, in response to a desperate plea for reinforcements from Union General William S. Rosecrans. After a painful defeat at Chickamauga, his Army of the Cumberland had retreated into Chattanooga, Tennessee, and was trapped under constant siege from Confederate General Braxton Bragg. Boxed in and running low on reserves, the Cumberland was suffering heavy losses , and the higher-ups in Washington were beginning to fear the worst.

As the weather turned colder, Union reinforcements under the direction of Gen. Ulysses Grant began arriving en masse to provide relief to the beseiged Cumberland Army. By the end of November, Grant drove his army towards the rebel blockades. Crying "Chickamauga, Chickamauga!", Union troops stormed Missionary Ridge intent on removing the rebel forces from the hill where they had been successfully embedded for over a month. When the dust settled, Bragg's defenses were in tatters; the Union had successfully ended the seige and solidified their occupation of Chattanooga.

Over the winter, Grant, in agreement with President Lincoln and General Sherman, devised a strategy that was intent on bringing the South to its knees, thus forcing a surrender. While Major General Banks was instructed to capture Mobile, Alabama, forces under Generals Crook and Averell were ordered to attack railroad lines throughout West Virginia, effectively cutting off supply routes among the Confederate Armies. General Sigel would march on the Shenandoah Valley, and Sherman himself would march into the heart of the confederacy and take Atlanta. Grant, newly elected Commander of the Union Armies, turned his focus on the Confederate capital, and brought troops Eastward to engage Robert E. Lee in Richmond.

Unfortunately for the ambitious Grant, his goal was not easily attained. In May, 1864, the federal armies met in Virginia in the Wilderness, and deadlocked after three days of heavy battle. Although both sides were badly wounded, the Union Army still had reserves left, while Lee had none. Because Grant knew this, he continued to engage Lee at every opportunity. At Spotsylvania, at Cold Harbor, and then again in Petersburg the armies met. Grant had aimed to dislodge Lee's weakening forces and capture the city of Petersburg first, giving him a direct approach to the Capital of the Confederacy, Richmond. Unfortunately for the Union troops, the Rebels were unwilling to go down without a fight. Instead, Lee fortified his defenses and dug in while Grant attacked, retreated, regrouped, and attacked again, a pattern which would ultimately last ten months.

In July of 1864, Lee's cry for reinforcements was met by General Jubal Early, who, in an attempt to split the Union forces by drawing Grant's attention elsewhere, marched his men into Maryland, and prepared to attack Washington, D.C.



***



"The last count is 3 dead, with 4 wounded, only 1 seriously, Sir. All others are accounted for."

William recognized the voice of his second in command as he numbly cleaned the blood off of his sword. He shut his eyes wearily, setting the blade down before him and leaning back against the tree under which he sat.

"Christ, this can't go on" he said softly. Bryant nodded, knowing that nearly a third of the men that they had departed Virginia with the summer before were now dead. He was battle-weary, and knew it had to be worse for William. The young Major had borne the heavy burden of leading them into each skirmish, and fighting shoulder to shoulder with them. He had to force himself to remain positive, to keep up morale at a time that it seemed nearly impossible to wake up each morning. Despite the strength and skill of their platoon, every battle meant more dead. Although William allowed his desperation to show around Bryant, the moment he was in front of the men, he was every inch the commanding officer, spurring them on with word and with deed. Bryant was glad he wasn't in William's shoes.

"We can't flush them out, and they just won't retreat. I feel like we are throwing ourselves up against a brick wall while they work on their target practice." William stared up at the sky, as if in silent prayer. Bryant sat down wearily beside him.

"I wish I were at home. Lord, I dream about those cool summer nights." He slapped at a mosquito that had landed on his arm. "The sun goes down here and I swear it almost gets hotter." He grumbled. William nodded his head, wiping the sweat from his tanned forehead. "Speaking of home, I received a letter from Elias this morning. He sent it about two months ago, but it better than nothing."

"And how is your brother faring?" William asked, still staring at the sky, somewhat bored.

"He traveled to D.C. It appears he was assigned to escort the Doctor and Miss Elizabeth back towards civilization when they closed the field hospital." At the mention of the young woman's name, William immediately sat up straighter.

"Elizabeth, you say? She's in DC?" he asked, suddenly quite interested. Bryant nearly laughed, but wisely kept a straight face.

"Oh yes. Although she wanted to return home, she found the trip through war-torn northern Virginia a bit too intimidating, even for the likes of her."

"Glad the damn female finally learned whats best for her." William growled. Bryant ignored him.

"It seems the good Doctor felt that she needed some relief from the rough lifestyle of the war camps, so he persuaded her to join him in Washington for the while, at least until the fighting subsided. Poor Eli is quite taken with her. I'd wager he'd follow her anywhere." Bryant said, carefully watching William's face.

"Dont know why he'd go and do a foolish thing like that, that woman's a wildcat." William snorted. "An absolute terror. Damn near shocked I didn't throttle her myself. M'surprised her tongue didn't get her into more trouble." William said, picking up a stick and drawing small circles in the sand at his feet.

"I dunno about that. I'd say it definately did, and then some. I personally don't like to see a woman mistreated, but that one incident damn near made me sick" Bryant said, his voice quiet. The circle-drawing ceased, and William sat upright.

"What do you mean, that one incident?" William asked, his voice low and almost fearful.

"That argument with Burbank. I don't like to meddle, but thats why I sent you after her that one night. I've seen full grown men off their feet for a few days after a blow like that." The stick snapped, jarring Bryant's attention. This time, William's voice was deadly.

"A blow like that?" he said slowly. Bryant looked at his friend, and was slightly unnerved at the expression of shock on William's face.

"Christ man, did you see her face? I thought you knew!" He said, slightly aghast. "Burbank all but called her a whore, and she stood up to him. That didn't go over too well with the old devil, and next thing I know she's old cold. Looking at her face, I was afraid he had broken her jaw. Her entire face was black and blue!" Horrified, William's hands formed into fists. Even after ten months apart, the woman was still in his blood, and the thought of her lying on the ground, completely still...he shook his head as it dawned on him.

"I went to see her, but it was already dark. I thought I saw something, but when I grabbed her arm, she lost it. Unfortunatly, bloody fool that I am, I did too." he said. He had lain awake at night, replaying their last conversation in his head, confused at how quickly things between them had gone sour. Now it made sense.

"She's a proud one, thats for sure. She nearly took my head off when I made the mistake of trying to take a look at the injury myself." Bryant said, although he quickly went silent when William began laughing. Laughing!

"God, that she-devil's managed to bewitch me to the point where I can't see straight" he continued to laugh, bitterly. "Here I am, thinking I did something wrong..." he trailed off, his head in his hands. "God what I wouldn't give for a drink."

Bryant nodded, patting his friend on the back. "I'm right there with you friend. Soon as we get home, there are pints at the Corner Tavern with our name on 'em."

"Major?" came a young man's voice from behind them. Both men immediately stood up, brushing off their pants. "Major General Sheriden would like to see you, immediately." As the youth hurried off, Bryant and William looked at each other warily. Why was the cavalry commander requesting their presence this late at night? The news couldn't possibly be good. The two men looked at eachother uneasily, and then strode off towards the Officers' Tent.

***

"Major General Sheridan, I understand you requested my presence?" William said, saluting the other officers in the tent. Despite his own friendly greeting, Sheridan's greeting was grim.

"Major Chapman, I understand that a number of your men are cavalry-trained, is that correct?" William nodded, waiting in silence to hear what was going on. "General Wright, would you care to explain?" He said wearily, as General Horatio Wright stood up. Nodding respectfully to William and Bryant, he motioned the two men near.

"Confederate forces under General Jubal Early have breached our nothern defenses. They've made it through the Valley without opposition, forded the Potomac, and have recently advanced into Maryland. Lew Wallace, located in Frederick with a small force, plans to engage Early sometime in the next few days, but it is not likely that they will succeed." When William looked up at him, curious as to their involvement, General Wright reached up and removed his glasses, wiping a weathered hand across his forehead. He took a deep breath, and replaced his glasses. "Gentlemen, Early is marching on Washington. As most of our army is currently tied up here with Lee, Washington's defenses are weak. We need to march out early tomorrow morning if we hope to catch him. Wallace will delay him, but we have no idea how long. We have a week, maybe only days. I need you to mobilize early tomorrow, and ride hard for Fort Stevens. Grant will send two units of cavalry along with you. I will be right behind you with the VI Corps. I need to know right now if you do not think that you can accomplish this." General Wright stated bluntly.

Elizabeth is in Washington, was all that crossed William's mind. He looked up at General Wright, meeting his gaze and nodding.

"We will be on the road by dawn."

***

"Christ, Will, do you think we can handle this? Washington, for God's sake." Bryant worried, tightening the girth on his mount.

"We will have to. Any victories thus far will mean jack shit if Washington falls. You heard the man, we are the first line of defence. Nothing gets past us. We will get up there and be in position, in case Early gets past Wallace."

"Come on William, you and I both know that Wallace's men have been sitting around all winter. They don't have a shot in hell of holding back a confederate assault!" Bryant said, angrily adjusting his saddlebags. William only shrugged his shoulders, nonplussed by his comrade's show of anger.

"We don't have a choice mate, we go. We don't have the option of failure. If for some reason you don't think you can handle it, tell me right now. Otherwise, I will assume that I have your full and complete support."

Bryant looked at his commander warily, unsure of how to respond. William shocked him by stepping forward, and grasping him by the shoulder.

"I will defend Washington whether or not you are behind me, of that you can be sure. I will be completely honest with you though; I don't want to have to do it alone. I want to know that every step of the way, you are behind me. Tell me you are with me, and I will enter this battle with every confidence in the world that we will win." William said, his voice uncharacteristically vulnerable. Bryant, unable to respond in words, merely nodded.

"Very well" William said, tightening the girth of his own mount. "We ride in one hour's time. Make sure the men are ready" he said, before gracefully mounting in one single motion. Once astride his mount, he nodded to Bryant, and then took off.

***

"My dear, you look absolutely stunning." The Doctor's kindly words made Eliabeth blush. Despite the fact that she felt claustraphobic in the girdle that helped modern women retain their impossibly perfect figure, she smiled broadly. The pale pink silk gown accentuated her every curve, while the pale blue lace trim highlighted her delicate features. Although her womanly curves had diminished with the weight she had lost while working under the hot summer sun, her form was flawless, and even the good Doctor could not help but react to her nearly ethereal beauty.

"Thank you sir, the dressed you sent fit perfectly" Elizabeth smiled at the older Doctor and his wife, who had become her sponsors in Washington Society. Mrs. Giles, the Doctor's kindly wife, had been especially sweet.

"Elizabeth darling, you really will be quite the center of attention. I fear our local boys will lose their hearts when they first lay eyes on you." Mrs. Giles gushed, taking Elizabeth's arm, who smiled in a slightly embarassed form of gratitude. "Come now my dear, we best be leaving now." Eliabeth followed the oldet couple to their coach, allowing the coachman to assist her into the carriage. Once they we all seated,. the coach quickly off at a quick pace into the balmy night.

It wasn't long before Elizabeth found herself completely bored at the evening's event. Despite the fact that the soiree was taking place at the home of a prominent senator of all people, Elizabeth found the company quite dull. Sure, she had sought entertainment in the arms of countless dance partners, but it seemed that each one fell short of her lofty expectations.

She was in the arms of her eleventh...or was it twelfth dance partner, when Dr. Giles approached and grasped her arm. Only too relieved for the brief respite, Elizabeth nodded her gratitute to her partner, and walked off with the Doctor.

"Elizabeth, I fear there have been some developments. The war is growing closer to Washington, and the President has re-mobilized the Medical Corps. I must depart immediately, so I unfortunately must escort you and Mrs. Giles home immediately."

As he cleaned his spectacles, Elizabeth grasped his arm, ending his speech.

"Doctor, I will leave with you. We both know that this is no place for a girl like me. I will depart when you do." she said, tucking an errant strand of hair behind her ear. At his dubious expression, she spoke up more forcefully. "I cannot remain here, you and I both know that. Please, take me with you."

At her heartfelt plea, the Doctor knew he could not refuse her.

"Very well" he spoke up. "We must leave now, and I ask that you be prepared to depart by dawn. We know no details, only that the fighting grows near. Heavy losses have been accrued near Richmond, and I fear that the numbers will only grow higher as the Rebels are forced back."

"I will be ready at dawn." Elizabeth said, turning to depart. The Doctor's hand on her shoulder gave her pause. "Yes sir?" she asked.

"Elizabeth, my dear, you belong here, among the music and the dancing, among others your age, among the happiness. Why do you go where you know there is none?" the Doctor asked, concern furrowing his brow.

"Sir, I do appreciate all you have done, but this is no place for me. I leave with you in the morning." In a bustle of pastel skirts, she was gone, leaving the Doctor behind, staring after her with an expression that was a mix of respect and pity.