Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry guys, I know it may be frustrating that I havent gotten to the good stuff yet, but I had to get the foundation set first. Trust me, its gonna really pick up.
One week later, Elizabeth entered William's room to find him sitting up in bed, stretching out his arm. "What do you think you are doing?" She said, setting down the tray of food and hurrying to his side. "You might pull out your stitches that way." She chastized, kneeling at his side to examine the dressings.

"M'sorry, my shoulder was just starting to get awfully stiff." William explained apologetically, and Elizabeth instantly felt guilty.

"Here" she said softly, reaching up to unbutton his shirt. "Lets check the dressing." She helped him pull off his shirt, and then removed the bandages that covered his healing wound. To her surprise, the redness was gone, and the injury appeared to be almost healed. Now that the gash was healing, Elizabeth couldnt help but notice the man's strong, broad chest. Although in her experiences aiding Doc Conner she had seen many a man without a shirt on, the "men" had been farm hands, built for heavy work. William's slim build and defined musculature reminded her of a wildcat, sleek but deadly. Shaking her head, Elizabeth removed the rest of the dressing. Mistaking her admiration for concern, William looked down and examined the stitches. "Does it look any better?" He asked hesitantly.

"Yes, much" she stammered out, busying herself with unfolding fresh bandages.

"I'm a fast healer" William shrugged, grinning at Elizabeth, who couldnt help but nod in agreement. After resetting the bandage, and helping William put his shirt back on, Elizabeth helped the young man stand up shakily. When his balance wavered, Elizabeth latched ahold of his arm to steady him.

"Easy there, take your time. You're still weak" she said, grabbing his upper arm. She nearly blushed when the muscles on his arms flexed, belying the easy power beneath. Or maybe not, she thought to herself.

"Well look whos up" her father bellowed from the doorway. Elizabeth quickly released William's arm, and stepped back uncertainly. "If you're feeling up to it William, I'd like you to take a walk with me, there is something I would like to show you." At her father's suggestion, Elizabeth stepped forward hesitantly.

"Pa, William wouldn't-"

"William would love to. Mr. Summers, lead the way" William bowed gallantly, sweeping his arm out in a graceful arc. Elizabeth, shocked that she had been contradicted, spun on her heel and walked out the back.

"Watch out for that one, my boy. She may be pretty, but she can be meaner than a wildcat when cornered." Mr. Summers laughed, and led the young man out towards the barn.

***

"Of all the frustrating, ungrateful..." Elizabeth stopped her rant quickly when she saw Matthew sitting quietly on a rock near the river. She walked slowly towards him, but he didnt turn around.

"Do you think Daniel will ever come home?" He asked while still facing the river, his boyish voice sounding flat and tired, so unlike the carefree child Elizabeth knew. She pasted a smile on her face, and walked up to stand beside him.

"Of course he-" she started, but then hesitated. The twelve-year-old standing next to her, as much as she wanted to believe otherwise, was not a child, not anymore. There were boys his age off at war, and no matter how hard she tried, Elizabeth would not be able to shield him from everything that life would throw in their direction. Feeling defeated, she sat down heavily on the rock next to him. "I don't know Matty, I sure hope so."

"Me too" came the quiet reply. As Elizabeth watched, Matthew leaned down, and picked up a small stone. He examined it carefully, and then flung it violently. Instead of skipping gracefully, the rock splashed loudly and disappeared from sight. Elizabeth, seeing Matthew's shoulders sag, stood up quickly.

"I think Raven and Duchess need to stretch their legs a bit. Will you join me in taking the girls for a quick gallop before afternoon chores?" At Elizabeth's suggestion, Matthew jumped to his feet.

"Last one to the barn has to clean the cow shed!" He yelled over his shoulder, sprinting off. Elizabeth just shook her head and followed. Obviously he wasn't growing up *that* fast. "You little cheat!" She yelled, gathering her skirts and taking off after him.

When she reached the barn, Matthew was already inside, bridling up Duchess. Elizabeth opened the door to Raven's stall, and approached the young mare, who stretched out her nose in greeting.

"Hi there beautiful" Elizabeth patted the mare fondly, but then gasped when she saw the mud caked on the animal's neck. "I swear..."

"You better not!" Came her father's voice from outside the stall door. Rolling her eyes, Elizabeth turned around to greet the two men.

"Sorry Pa, I didn't hear ya'll come in." She said, shrugging meekly. "Matthew and I were just goin to go for a short ride, he needed to get out. Did you need the horses?" She asked, stepping outside of the stall.

"Thats all right m'girl" Her father shrugged. "William and I are just passing through." Her father turned, and approached a barrel that was sitting off to the side of the aisle of the barn. When he tipped the barrel over and knelt to pick up something lying beneath it, Elizabeth hurredly stepped out from the stall and pulled the door shut. She quickly knelt alongside her father, placing a hand over his.

"Pa, I dont think thats a good idea." She said, her voice hushed.

"Nonsense Buffy, I think he can put some of it to good use." Her father said, speaking at a normal volume. Undeterred, Elizabeth continued on. William's brow rose in curiosity.

"Father, no one should know. Its better for you if-" She whispered angrily, but her father cut her off when he took his hand out from under hers, displaying the key to William.

"William, I have something to show you" He said brusquely, effectively silencing her. Elizabeth stood rail-straight, blushing furiously. Taking the key, he strode to a storage room at the back of the barn. As Elizabeth and William watched, he unlocked the door and slid it open, revealing haybales stacked eight high. "Elizabeth!" her father barked at her. Still embarassed, Elizabeth wordlessly approached. Together, she and her father pulled down the top several bales, exposing space behind. At Mr. Summer's motion, William slowly walked up and peered around the corner. Behind the initial stack of bales were boxes of rifles, stacked ten deep. In one corner, boxes of ammunition lay half-covered with a sackcloth. In more boxes, knives, swords, and food supplies were visable. William, eyes wide, turned to Mr. Summer's in awe.

"Where did all of this come from?" He asked incredulously.

"Here and there. A lot of it was taken during raids of Union camps north of here. Some of it was brought up from the peninsula, but most of it was smuggled down the river. Since we lost a lot of our sea ports, we have to take our supplies inland. This, this and more will be sent to Richmond, to be ready when Lee gives the order to march on Washington. I have two more hiding places on the property, all stocked like this one."

"Really?" William asked, "where do you hide it?"

"I'll show you, this way." Mr. Summers said, beginning to stack the bales back up.

"Papa, I-" Elizabeth tried to caution her father.

"Elizabeth, weren't you taking your brother riding?" Her father asked pointedly.

"Yes Papa" Elizabeth responded dejectedly, and turned back towards the stall. William, who stood partially blocking her route, made no effort to move. Frustrated, Elizabeth gritted her teeth and tried to skirt around him, but stopped short when William slowly reached his arm across her path. Pulling one of the horses' grooming brushes off of the wall, he handed it to her.

"You might be needin this" He drawled softly, placed the object in her hand, maintaining eye contact the entire time.

"Thanks" Elizabeth practically spat, taking the brush and quickly let herself back into Raven's stall.

Once the voices receeded, and Elizabeth had worked out the frustration that those cool blue eyes incited in her, she lifted the saddle onto Raven's back, tightened the girth, and then reached for the bridle. Within moments, she had led the skittering mare outside, and met up with Matthew, who was already mounted on Duchess.

"Take all the time you need" the boy said sarcastically as Elizabeth swung up onto the saddle.

"Thank you" Elizabeth retorted, and swung Raven away from the barn. "Now do try to keep up" she said over her shoulder as she wheeled Raven into a brisk trot. With Duchess following, Elizabeth followed the path past the lean-to that served as their cow shed, and then followed the tree line towards the gate, where William and her father were now walking. As they approached, William began unfastening the tie that held the gate shut. Still peeved though, Elizabeth quickly nudged Raven into a canter, then slid forward along the horse's neck, asking for more speed. When Raven willingly obliged, Elizabeth angled the dark bay towards a break in the treeline, to the right of the gate that William was now opening. Effortlessly, Raven soared over the fence. Landing on the other side, Elizabeth expertly pulled the excited horse up, and waited for Matthew to pass through the gate. Although William dipped his head in farewell, Elizabeth swung Raven back around, and took off down the road, Matthew in tow.

"She's quite the horsewoman, my Buffy is. Just like her mother, God rest her soul. Though I try as hard as I can, I swear, that girl will never be tamed." Mr. Summers sighed, and then turned towards the shed that stood at the edge of the field. William hesitated a moment though, and stared down the road the two horses had taken. He watched the dust swirl in the muggy July air for a moment longer, and then, with a deep breath, turned to follow Mr. Summers.