Author's Chapter Notes:
many thanks as always to Cordykitten for reviewing, hope you like this chapter...
Buffy loaded every weapon she could think of into the trunk of the car, including her precious scythe. They were later than planned having been delayed by a phone call from Faith: her first scan had shown she was having a boy and Robin was delighted, telling everyone he could think of, hence the phone call to Rome. Mama and Baby were doing great. The picture would be on its way the very next day. Buffy was just glad at how happy Faith sounded. It was great to think that she was finally settled somewhere. The slaying school was doing great and Robin was a good man.

The sun was truly set as the car was filled with weapons and the overflow was being added to the minibus. Although it might have been thought sensible to use the slaying school it had neighbours and the Villa Rosa was very secluded in its own grounds, so it was a case of loading everything they needed into the minibus and car.

Nina had agreed to stay with the younger slayers and keep an eye on them. She was no fighter and it was nowhere near full moon, so she had felt that she would just get in the way during any fight. Nina had planned to have food and first aid kits ready for the return.

Spike was wired: he looked as though someone had been feeding him drugs for months and for a vampire, they had. Fresh slayer blood every day, bagged or straight from the source. He couldn’t sit still for more than a couple of minutes and the aphrodisiac qualities of the slayer blood were definitely having an affect on him.

Dawn had laughed out loud earlier when she had caught Spike chasing Buffy around the house. The Master Vampire at full strength was fast, faster than anything she’d ever seen; Dawn was glad they’d never faced him when he was that strong. Spike had literally flown up from the ground two floors up to Buffy’s bedroom door with a dozen roses in his hand. No run, just a standing jump straight up. Buffy had been laughing all the time. And laughed as she shut the door behind Spike. The rest of them hid at the far end of the building for a few hours. It was good to see her so happy. She deserved it.

Dawn looked around at the crew gathering. Willow and Giles were talking quietly about the different magics they would have to perform, the various slayers were preparing weapons and chatting quietly. Nina was watching everything and Angel was brooding. He looked completely devoid of any of the joy in life the rest of the crowd were showing. A dark cloud hung over his head, darkening every time anyone laughed; even more so every time Buffy and Spike showed their closeness. The mere brush of a hand was enough to set up a growl.

Br. Roberto had turned up earlier saying that he had fought the devil for nearly sixty years and he’d quite like to see one now. He chortled as Spike slipped into game face. ‘That doesn’t scare me in the least young man, I’ve looked after novices.’

Spike grinned and picked up the trunk containing the supplies for Willow as Dawn came down the stairs, dressed ready for battle. Combat trousers and shirt. Pockets filled with small weapons, water pistols, crosses; she was every inch the warrior her parents, her real parents, were.

Brother Roberto went over to the young lady and as a true Italian, kissed her hand.

‘You look more and more beautiful every time we meet.’ Even though the old monk was hardly boyfriend material, Spike still growled.

‘Now papa, there is no need for that. I have a little gift for your bambina.’ And with that he pulled out a small knife, a white athame and handed it to her hilt first.

‘This has been blessed by the holiest of men. If you spill blood with it the blood cannot be used for evil, only good, so I thought it might help. It’s made from gold and silver mixed and it’s sharp, so you should be able to open the portal quickly. It is the original athame, its twin is in the hands of Travers. Only one witch is powerful enough to hold both, so whatever happens don’t pick up the black knife if you are holding this one .

‘Thank you so much Brother Roberto, it really will help and I’ll keep a very close eye on what else I pick up.’

‘We’ve made a scabbard for it, covered in silk; it will protect it from being scanned and protect you from being cut. Two layers of wood, wool and silk. Perfect.’

The crowd of slayers approached and started loading into the minibus. Br. Roberto thought how young they all looked: mere children, far too young to carry such a load. But they were the chosen and it was not up to him to second- guess The Boss. He listened to their chatter and thought about it. They were young and carefree, but the fate of the world rested on their shoulders time and time again. He watched Buffy, her eyes shining with love for something that he had originally been taught was the epitomy of evil and he watched that love returned. The vampire’s eyes shone with nothing but adoration for the young woman who had not yet reached her thirtieth year and had saved this world so many times. A woman who had stood in heaven and who he knew in his heart was guaranteed a place to go back to.

He watched as Spike made sure that Dawn was safely in the car before getting into the driving seat himself. All loaded up, Br. Roberto got into the minibus with the girls and Xander and they headed off into the growing night.

Buffy and Spike were glad of the peace and quiet. Dawn and Willow who were in the car with them were talking quietly about some boyband or other that Dawn wanted to see next time she was in London. They were relaxed, almost serene, as though a true peace had descended on them. Willow knew she was more than capable of doing the spells needed. Dawn knew how to open up the portal and now, thanks to all the books Bro. Roberto had supplied, knew how to close it again. She had been practising with Willow, tiny little portals, under very strict conditions, just so she was confident in the process. Giles had prepared them well. Dark roots Willow was nowhere to be seen. Now Willow was so very careful to use magic only when absolutely necessary. She knew that it was her gift and couldn’t reject it, but also knew the terrible price she had paid for its use. There would always be a place for Tara in her heart. And Willow had vowed no more risks. Xander kept her anchored, Rachael made her feel whole, and they were both here tonight.

It wasn’t long before they were all pulling up at the Villa Rosa. Matilda was waiting at the door to welcome everyone in. ‘We’ve sent the children away for the night, the main room is cleared and we’re ready when you are.’

Angel tried to enter the house but bounced back from the invisible barrier.

‘Come in, Angel,’ said the vampire on the stairs. Every nerve was screaming to Angel that this was a powerful vampire, a Master of Masters.

Spike stepped forward and without his normal cockiness, he went over to the vampire and bowed.

‘Marcus, may I present my grandsire? Angel, may I present our sire of sires, Marcus Aurleous.’ The formality with which Spike did the introductions should have warned Angel, but it didn’t.

Angel didn’t want to believe it: the head of his house, his master, standing there in front of him. Angel wouldn’t believe it: no one was more important than Angel, he was the chosen one’s champion.

‘Still not listening Angel, or should I say Angelus? You really don’t want to believe do you?’ Growled the older vampire. He looked at Angel then at Spike. Buffy had chosen the better vampire by far. Marcus could see the weakness and self- pity in Angel’s soul: it stood out like a cancer. The soul was tarnished and dull; no wonder there had been problems.

William’s soul was pure before he was turned and when it was returned to him that purity shone through, but before Marcus now was the soul of a rapist and killer. Liam Angelus O’Connor was not a nice person. He could never be a true champion. He’d have to work hard just to get a chance at the lowest of the heavenly realms. Oh well, not his job or responsibility; that was Br. Roberto’s job.

It was, however, his job to make sure that Angel didn’t mess up anything.

Marcus centred himself quietly then used his full masters gifts to control his errant great, great, great grand childe.

‘You will obey or challenge,’ Angel heard in his head. No one else heard a thing.

Angel could feel the power radiating off of this Master, he knew that if he were so stupid as to challenge he would lose, and sank down onto one knee.

‘Master,’ he whispered. Buffy was amazed; all she had seen or heard was Spike introducing them, Marcus looking at Angel for a couple of moments and then Angel kneeling. Well, if he wasn’t going to cause trouble, Buffy was glad.